B&W Research Thread

Question about Poison/Heat Rampage: is it possible that it gives extra boosts as turns go by, like Speed Boost? Did anyone happen to notice/check anything of the sort? It's hard for me to imagine both abilities being gimped versions of Guts, and this would make it distinct.

(ie turn 1 Zangoose is poisoned! Poison Rampage gives + 1, poison damage. turn 2 Zangoose takes poison damage, Poison Rampage gives + 1, leaves him at + 2)

Question about Poison/Heat Rampage: is it possible that it gives extra boosts as turns go by, like Speed Boost? Did anyone happen to notice/check anything of the sort? It's hard for me to imagine both abilities being gimped versions of Guts, and this would make it distinct.

(ie turn 1 Zangoose is poisoned! Poison Rampage gives + 1, poison damage. turn 2 Zangoose takes poison damage, Poison Rampage gives + 1, leaves him at + 2)
No, it does not(my Zangoose attacked about 5 times during the initial test without any clear gap in damage). Also they are not the only abilities that are completely inferior to others, like Dustproof and Magic Guard for example.

About Growth Sharply raising under the sun. Bulbapedia says it under their move description. Even though I found them to be wrong about Basurao's abilities being exclusive to each of the forms, xD. But i see that they fixed it.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
how much is high jump kick's recoil?

easy way to test is to use high jump kick on a ghost pokemon (the lady in the elite 4)

Serebii list Beat Up as a updated move. Normally I don't go trusting Serebii all the time but has it changed at all? I didn't see any mention of it in the OP. (other than boosting Self-Conscious)
EDIT: Nevermind. It's in the OP, but it's untested. Anyone want to test it? :/

breh

強いだね
Serebii list Beat Up as a updated move. Normally I don't go trusting Serebii all the time but has it changed at all? I didn't see any mention of it in the OP. (other than boosting Self-Conscious)
EDIT: Nevermind. It's in the OP, but it's untested. Anyone want to test it? :/
I could swear it was tested a while back; somebody used absols and machamps and other things against a Blissey IIRC; check back a few pages (app. 10 maybe) page 41

I could swear it was tested a while back; somebody used absols and machamps and other things against a Blissey IIRC; check back a few pages (app. 10 maybe) page 41
While I appreciate the response, I have no idea what where that is since I see 40 posts a page and you might see less. (You can see how we have different posts on different pages)
So, maybe a post number would be better?

EDIT:
DDRMaster said:
Thank you very much. Does this mean Beat Up still sucks?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Payback does not double in Power when the opponent switches out.

Level 77 Chandela 145 Atk (90 + CB)
Level 100 Gengar 153 def
Level 100 Froslass 177 def

Expected Damage range if 100 Power Payback against Gengar: 104-124
Expected Damage range if 100 Power Payback against Froslass: 90-108

Turn 1
Gengar attacks the wild Pokemon
Chandela attacks Gengar with Payback. 108 Damage

Turn 2
Gengar switches to Froslass
Chandela attacks the Froslass with Payback. 48 Damage

Also, when I was playing Battle Subway, Sitrus Berries would always activate immediately when the user was below half HP:

Something like this tends to happen:
Gengar uses Shadow Ball for about 80% of a Claydol's HP
Sitrus Berry activates
Claydol uses Cosmic Power

I also tried it in a Wild Double Battle and the Sitrus Berry activated immediately after falling below 50%.

Thank you very much. Does this mean Beat Up still sucks?
Beat up's research isn't finished, the only thing those results prove is that beat up has changed.

Thanks for reminding me of this though, i'll continue my research on this and (hopefully) get it finished by this evening.

Team Rocket Elite, does this mean that Payback's power is no longer Doubled if the opponent doesn't attack the user? This would make it similar to how Revenge and Avalanche work.

I know that trying to change Arceus's type is pretty hard, but can submersion/waterlog do it? It changes the foe's type to water, but that's all I can find, besides trying to search through 1146 posts...
Also, competitive spirit raises stats two stages when they are lowered, according to bulbapedia, and while I know it's a wiki, it has stayed that way uncorrected for some time now. Does it boost attack for each stage lost, or just once?

Beat up's research isn't finished, the only thing those results prove is that beat up has changed.

Thanks for reminding me of this though, i'll continue my research on this and (hopefully) get it finished by this evening.
Cool beans. Also, if no one answered your previous post (I didn't look) Beat Up used to always show all your pokemon, so Shoddy was right in that regard. At least it's slightly better in that respect.

I know that trying to change Arceus's type is pretty hard, but can submersion/waterlog do it? It changes the foe's type to water, but that's all I can find, besides trying to search through 1146 posts...
Also, competitive spirit raises stats two stages when they are lowered, according to bulbapedia, and while I know it's a wiki, it has stayed that way uncorrected for some time now. Does it boost attack for each stage lost, or just once?
I believe you gain +1 for any stat drop. (self-inflicted stat drops don't count i.e. Close Combat)
Although I do not know whether it reflects a -2 stat drop to +2 Attack.
Is what your asking a question like this:
Onix uses Screech (-2 Def.) on Primeape, does Primeape get +1 or +2 Attack?

It hasn't. That was me remembering incorrectly. Fixed the description.

Though you have a point. I'd like some extra confirmation on Solid Rock.
Tested it, it's still a 25% reduction.

Level 59 Oobemu
161 SA

Abagoora
99 SD
Solid Rock

If reduction is 1/4: 100-118
If reduction is 1/3: 89-105
If reduction is 1/2: 67-79

112, 117, 115, 103

I believe you gain +1 for any stat drop. (self-inflicted stat drops don't count i.e. Close Combat)
Although I do not know whether it reflects a -2 stat drop to +2 Attack.
Is what your asking a question like this:
Onix uses Screech (-2 Def.) on Primeape, does Primeape get +1 or +2 Attack?
Exactly that question.

Edit: It says +1 when you are hit by a stat lowering move or ability, implying that it is when you are hit you get +1, rather than being worded, if your stats drop, your attack rises.

I'm pretty sure no one's tested Submersion on Arceus yet but I know someone found out that if you use it on a Steel/Poison or Fire type, you can Poison or Burn them, respectively, and if they switch out and come back in, they will still be Poisoned/Burned and take the normal effects.

Edit: Reckless is the same as it always was. That should probably be added to that list as well.

Confusing, inaccurate or just plain wrong Serebii move descriptions:

This is far from a complete list.

MOVES
Busted Metal Burst Returns double damage done by foe Nope, just returns 1.5x the damage. (Mien)
Busted Payback Power doubles if user receives damage first Actually does double damage just as long as the user's attack comes after the target makes a move, doesn't even matter if it receives damage or not.
Busted Superpower Boosts strength sharply, but lowers abilities. Is just a 120 power attack that lower's the user's Attack and Defense one stage.

ITEMS
Busted Elemental Jewels This item, when attached to a Pokémon, raises the power of [element]-type moves when the holder's Hit Points fall below 33%. The holder actually gets the boost whenever they use an attack of the same type, not when their HP falls below 33%.

ABILITIES
Busted Adaptability Doubles the power of same type moves. Does not directly double the power of same-type moves, only raises the STAB bonus from 1.5x to 2x.
Busted Mold Breaker The Pokémon is not affected by foe’s abilities during battle To be precise, the Pokemon's attacks are not blocked\reduced in damage by any abilities the target has. If the Pokemon has Mold Breaker, Thunder Wave will succeed against a Pokemon with LightningRod, but the attack will still be drawn to the LightningRod Pokemon.
Busted Shadow Tag The opponent cannot run nor switch. If this Pokémon switches, the opponent will remain trapped. Implies that the trapping is permanent, which it is not. The opponent may switch out at any time the Shadow Tag Pokemon is not in play.
Busted Solid Rock Damage by super-effective moves is halved. Damage by super-effective moves is only reduced by one-fourth, not one-half.
What about Reckless? The power of moves that have recoil damage is doubled, but so is the recoil. Or did it really change?
Edit: Reckless is the same as it always was. That should probably be added to that list as well.
Edit: So it didn't. Darn, I was hoping the afro buffalo could use what would be like a super effective Afro Break, as well as Wild Bolt.
I'm pretty sure no one's tested Submersion on Arceus yet but I know someone found out that if you use it on a Steel/Poison or Fire type, you can Poison or Burn them, respectively, and if they switch out and come back in, they will still be Poisoned/Burned and take the normal effects.
Are there any other exceptions, maybe like Forecast, too?

Confirmed Competitive Spirit raises Attack one level when hit by a stat-lowering move or ability such as Intimidate (effectively countering it). Does not apply to self-inflicted stat drops like those from Close Combat. (Slipperjeans)
Was it a typo? Because I'm pretty sure Competitive Spirit raises Attack two levels upon each activation.

EDIT
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3011924&postcount=535
This is what I assume as well but I'll test now to see if it works like we think.

EDIT : Preliminary test, Competitive Spirit Wargle vs Intimidate Gyarados :
boosted Superpower seemingly did ~ 50 %
normal Superpower (without Intimidate+Competitive Spirit nor Superpower stat drops) did ~ 33 %

EDIT2 : Definite test, Competitive Spirit Wargle vs Intimidate Luxray :
boosted Brave Bird did ~ 60 %, damage recoil took away 55 HP from Wargle
normal Brave Bird did ~ 40 % (Luxray was not KOed), damage recoil took away 37 HP from Wargle
and then 37 x 1,5 = 55,5 rounded down at 55

So against an Intimidate Pokémon, Competitive Spirit Pokémon will have an effective +1 Atk (-1 from Intimidate, then +2 from Competitive Spirit).
And a third test :
Wargle vs Steelix

Wargle moves: Superpower, Whirlwind, Brave Bird, Thrash;
Steelix moves: Iron Tail, Crunch, Double-Edge, Stone Edge.

normal conditions: Wargle used Brave Bird
Steelix took 46 HP
Wargle took 15 HP from damage recoil

waited and stalled until Crunch or Iron Tail lowered Wargle' Defense, when it did Competitive Spirit activated and:

Wargle used Brave Bird
Steelix took 91 HP
Wargle took 30 HP from damage recoil

So Wargle was at -1 Def and +2 Atk.

On a related note Competitive Spirit activates on Memento (giving +2 Atk and -2 Sp.Atk for its user).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)