Conkeldurr

SubPunch is definitely it's best set. Really this thing rapes a lot of things like Doryuuzu with Mach Punch, but it's also very powerful and bulky. Focus Punch with STAB and Iron Fist is 270 BP lol. Even stronger than Explosion now thanks to Explosion not halving defenses anymore. Imagine Blissey getting hit by this XD.

i was thinking
roopushin
item leftovers
evs 252 atk 252 hp 4 spd
nature adamant
moves
substitute
focus punch
superpower
stone edge/payback
what do you guys think

I was thinking something kinda like this:
Roopushin @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Nature: Impish
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Focus Punch
Really and easy Roopushin to use. Simply use his giant HP in a substitute, and bulk up 'till it breaks. Not only does Bulk Up boosts his frightening attack, but it also boosts his big defense too. Drain punch gets 135 base power, I believe, with Iron Fist and STAB. It also can OHKO Blissey after a few Bulk Ups, and blissey's 714 HP leads to him healing 357 HP, almost his max HP. Of course, Focus Punch when he doesn't need the heal.

Roopushin @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Really and easy Roopushin to use. Simply use his giant HP in a substitute, and bulk up 'till it breaks. Not only does Bulk Up boosts his frightening attack, but it also boosts his big defense too. Drain punch gets 135 base power, I believe, with Iron Fist and STAB. It also can OHKO Blissey after a few Bulk Ups, and blissey's 714 HP leads to him healing 357 HP, almost his max HP. Of course, Focus Punch when he doesn't need the heal.
If your going to be running sub with bulk up on this guy you dont want all your hard work to go down the drain with a ghost coming in on you. Plus Focus Punch wont be needed with the substancial boost you're getting with bulk up.Stone Edge would work since you get screwed over with the ghost/fire coming in on you with shadow tag

Roopushin @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Focus Punch
This leaves him open to obvious counters, such as Ghosts.

I'm going to state my opinion, from watching about 20 videos of this guy on youtube in a row, that mach punch is beyond indispensable for him and his. Unless you're already running multiple other priority users, I simply couldn't justify the use of any Roopushin that missed out on mach punch. Also, you guys appear to have the right idea of giving iron fist Roopushin substitute. Without guts, he is extremely bothered by status, more so than most pokes. He can reliably take on most ghost types with his powerful payback, but only if he can deal with their will o' wisps.

From my battling experience, Shanderaa is often sent out against Roobushin. I've never been OHKO by a Shanderaa, but a Payback will definitely KO it.

While Iron Fist is a good choice for a Sub set, I feel that Guts is absolutely wonderful on Roobushin. Boiling Water, T-Wave, Glare, Toxic and WoW is really common and Guts makes him easily take out many non-resisted Pokemon, given the chance to attack.

The set I've been running into most often, and the one that has given me the most trouble, has been the Drain Punch set.

Roo @Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist / Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Payback
- Mach Punch

Iron Fist is preferred, but Guts will do until DW Roopushin is released. Guts definitely has its upsides too though, since this Roopushin an ideal Burn target. After a Bulk Up, this monster is pretty much impossible to OHKO without a STAB SE attack. Neither Psychic or Flying attacks have traditionally been all that common, and that trend hasn't seemed to change from the limited playtime I had on PO. Sure, you COULD 2HKO this thing with any moderately powerful special attack, but that's easier said than done when its Drain Punches heal huge amounts of HP.

I was running Modest offensive LO Cune against it, and those calcs look like this:

With Surf- 306 Atk (95 BP, STAB) vs 229 Def (320 HP) * 1.30: 178 - 210 (55.63% - 65.63%)
With Hydro Pump- 306 Atk (120 BP, STAB) vs 229 Def (320 HP) * 1.30: 223 - 264 (69.69% - 82.50%)

Meanwhile, +1 Roopushin is hitting back equally hard, but healing half of all the damage Suicune did:

With Guts- 511 Atk (75 BP, STAB) vs 235 Def (311 HP): 175 - 207 (56.27% - 66.56%)
With Iron Fist- 511 Atk (90 BP, STAB) vs 235 Def (311 HP): 211 - 249 (67.85% - 80.06%)

It's healing over 100 HP a shot against Suicune, and even more against things with frailer defenses. If Suicune eats a Drain Punch on the switch, it loses the fight and Roopushin walks away with ~70% of its HP intact. Even if Suicune comes in on a Bulk Up, it cannot 2HKO with Surf, and it needs to hit with both Hydro Pumps to 2HKO.

Maybe Suicune is a somewhat arbitrary choice, but I don't imagine many other special attackers faring much better without SE STAB attacks. Its naturally high Def with Bulk Up means that physical attackers fare even worse, obviously. You can't set up against it because it 2HKOs pretty much everything, and it will fully heal itself in the process. Frail pokemon that aim for a speedy kill/status (Doryuuzu, Breloom, Alakazam, etc) just get Mach Punched to death.

I'm also tempted to try a Burn Orb w/ Guts, though I'm not sure if the extra damage/healing is worth giving up Leftovers.

The set I've been running into most often, and the one that has given me the most trouble, has been the Drain Punch set.

Roo @Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist / Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Payback
- Mach Punch

Iron Fist is preferred, but Guts will do until DW Roopushin is released. Guts definitely has its upsides too though, since this Roopushin an ideal Burn target. After a Bulk Up, this monster is pretty much impossible to OHKO without a STAB SE attack. Neither Psychic or Flying attacks have traditionally been all that common, and that trend hasn't seemed to change from the limited playtime I had on PO. Sure, you COULD 2HKO this thing with any moderately powerful special attack, but that's easier said than done when its Drain Punches heal huge amounts of HP.

I was running Modest offensive LO Cune against it, and those calcs look like this:

With Surf- 306 Atk (95 BP, STAB) vs 229 Def (320 HP) * 1.30: 178 - 210 (55.63% - 65.63%)
With Hydro Pump- 306 Atk (120 BP, STAB) vs 229 Def (320 HP) * 1.30: 223 - 264 (69.69% - 82.50%)

Meanwhile, +1 Roopushin is hitting back equally hard, but healing half of all the damage Suicune did:

With Guts- 511 Atk (75 BP, STAB) vs 235 Def (311 HP): 175 - 207 (56.27% - 66.56%)
With Iron Fist- 511 Atk (90 BP, STAB) vs 235 Def (311 HP): 211 - 249 (67.85% - 80.06%)

It's healing over 100 HP a shot against Suicune, and even more against things with frailer defenses. If Suicune eats a Drain Punch on the switch, it loses the fight and Roopushin walks away with ~70% of its HP intact. Even if Suicune comes in on a Bulk Up, it cannot 2HKO with Surf, and it needs to hit with both Hydro Pumps to 2HKO.

Maybe Suicune is a somewhat arbitrary choice, but I don't imagine many other special attackers faring much better without SE STAB attacks. Its naturally high Def with Bulk Up means that physical attackers fare even worse, obviously. You can't set up against it because it 2HKOs pretty much everything, and it will fully heal itself in the process. Frail pokemon that aim for a speedy kill/status (Doryuuzu, Breloom, Alakazam, etc) just get Mach Punched to death.

I'm also tempted to try a Burn Orb w/ Guts, though I'm not sure if the extra damage/healing is worth giving up Leftovers.
This is the first thing I thought of when I looked at his stats, abilities, and moves. Iron Fist + Drain Punch + DrainPunch BP increase + STAB + Plus Bulk Up on a defensive pokemon? YES, PLEASE, THANK YA.

Does anyone have any deep insight on whether lower HP benefits Drain Punch sets? Obviously with lower HP, Drain Punch heals a higher percentage, which is why I went 252 SpDef. Still, I'm not sure if that's the most efficient way to go.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
that bulky psychic pokemon this gen seems to be a decent counter to it. with 110/75 defenses, and 125 special attack. It can take a payback on the switch and ohko with STAB psychic. It also has magic guard for no damage from entry hazards and access to recover.

I usually run Leftovers with Guts, as Burungeru is often sent in on my Roobushin, or sometimes I'll switch into their Burungeru, since they're likely to use Boiling Water or WoW. Status is common enough, and Roobushin with Bulk Up doesn't necessarily need Burn Orb+Guts anyway. In the case of Roobushin, I would rather stay alive with those buffs as long as I can than to get forced to switch or faint from self-induced burn.

From my battling experience, Shandera is often sent out against Roobushin. I've never been OHKO by a Shandera, but a Payback will definitely KO it.

While Iron Fist is a good choice for a Sub set, I feel that Guts is absolutely wonderful on Roobushin. Boiling Water, T-Wave, Glare, Toxic and WoW is really common and Guts makes him easily take out many non-resisted Pokemon, given the chance to attack.
People are stupid. the only way Shandera can OHKO Roobushin (mine, at least) is with Specs Overheat.

Here's THE set that got me in the top 10.

Roobushin @ Leftovers
Guts
Adamant nature, 80 HP / 88 Atk / 100 Def / 240 SpD
Final stats are: HP 371, Attack 371, Defense 251, and Special Defense 226.
~Mach Punch
~Drain Punch
~Bulk Up
~Payback

Same old moveset, but way better EVs. Those EVs are what make this set such a beast to take down.
See that special defense? Not even Soul Dew Latios OHKOs with Draco Meteor. The idea is to bring this on a predicted will o wisp (or toxic, but beware the exponential damage). Bulk Up once and start killing stuff. Starmie, Espeon, Latios, Shandera, Ludicolo, non specs Sazandra...none will ohko, whilst you will either OHKO with Drain Punch. If they somehow survive, Mach Punch. You can set up on CB Scizor locked into Bullet Punch, Tyranitar, Nattorei, Burungeru, or most bulky waters, for that matter.

This Roobu almost always beats even special based pokes one on one, but can't take too much special assaults, which is why I highly reccomend wish support. Then again, isn't not totally necessary, considering you can heal with Drain Punch.

As far as counters go, Zapdos swallows this, resisting your STABs and doesn't mind Payback. Skarmory has brutal defense, whirlwind, and brave bird. Hippowdon and Gliscor can't touch you at all (hippo can Roar you, though) and after a bit too much turns they're guaranteed to go down, provided you bulk up even once.

People are stupid. the only way Shandera can OHKO Roobushin (mine, at least) is with Specs Overheat.

Roobushin @ Leftovers
Guts
~Mach Punch
~Drain Punch
~Bulk Up
~Payback

Same old moveset, but way better EVs. Those EVs are what make this set such a beast to take down.
See that special defense? Not even Soul Dew Latios OHKOs with Draco Meteor. The idea is to bring this on a predicted will o wisp (or toxic, but beware the exponential damage). Bulk Up once and start killing stuff. Starmie, Espeon, Latios, Shandera, Ludicolo, non specs Sazandra...none will ohko, whilst you will either OHKO with Drain Punch. If they somehow survive, Mach Punch. You can set up on CB Scizor locked into Bullet Punch, Tyranitar, Nattorei, Burungeru, or most bulky waters, for that matter.

This Roobu almost always beats even special based pokes one on one, but can't take too much special assaults, which is why I highly reccomend wish support. Then again, isn't not totally necessary, considering you can heal with Drain Punch.

As far as counters go, Zapdos swallows this, resisting your STABs and doesn't mind Payback. Skarmory has brutal defense, whirlwind, and brave bird. Hippowdon and Gliscor can't touch you at all (hippo can Roar you, though) and after a bit too much turns they're guaranteed to go down, provided you bulk up even once.
Have you tested out Iron Fist for it? It generally seems like it would be a safer option. It boosts its priority AND healing move.

Status doesn't seem SUPER common. Iron Fist only boosts Mach Punch to 48 BP though...but Drain Punch gets boosted to 90 BP so...

Have you tested out Iron Fist for it? It generally seems like it would be a safer option. It boosts its priority AND healing move.

Status doesn't seem SUPER common. Iron Fist only boosts Mach Punch to 48 BP though...but Drain Punch gets boosted to 90 BP so...
I don't run Iron Fist for a couple of reasons. First, Roobu makes imho an excelent status absorber. If you run iron fist and mist predict a boil over, you may get burned thus making Roobu dead weight. Besides, +1 attack just for absorbing toxic or some status? Nice.

The other reason I don't use Iron fist is because I play Wi Fi tier mostly, where dream world abilities are banned. (Note that I said 'mostly', not 'only').

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Shandera Overheat can KO Roobushin, though it takes a little damage prior to the attack:

vs. Max HP | Min SpD Roobushin - 85% - 100.2%.

Considering that the chances of Shandera coming in while Roobushin has likely lost some health are high, chances are you're looking at a dead Roobushin. The best set I've used is this:

Roobushin @ Leftovers
ability: Iron Fist
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

I haven't had a chance to use the SubPunch set, but from what I heard from other people it was pretty solid with Mach Punch helping them out.

Roobushin @ Leftovers
Guts
~Mach Punch
~Drain Punch
~Bulk Up
~Payback
really? my calcs for 371 HP 226 Sp Def vs 359 spatk soul dew/specs draco meteor is
96.2%-113.7%, a great chance to OHKO even without rocks up.
Espeon is doing 83%-98.6% with timid and no boosting item, ie scarf?, so you better have removed all entry hazards/be at full HP...

Roopushin, with guts and flame orb and mach punch, is pretty much unstoppable except on revenge. I've been run through by this more than I like to talk about, and I don't really know what you can do. Iron fist is nice, but Trick Room + Guts + Flame Orb means that you absolutely destroy everything. Hammer Arm's Speed drop actually helps, and you don't need payback for shandara, you can kill it with earthquake and Stone edge.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't seen this guy much in my limited time on PO, but when I have he wrecks. He's appropriately named, because he will push your shit in. (harhar pun)

So is this guy better than Machamp?
It depends, Machamp is still an annoying lead due to it's D-punching effect, which can mess some leads up not naming Azelf.

Roopushin beats it definitely Machamp by bulk and attack power AND access to mach punch + iron fist, boosting hammer arm in the process (Guts if you want too but iron fist is my personal preference). Whereas Machamp only has bullet punch.

Still Machamp is viable but the popular/better overall choice would be Roopushin because of raw bulk. Machamp will stand out more of a lead or for those without a Roopushin in their games.

How is this set not on the OP?

Roopushin @ Toxic Orb/Burn Orb
Guts
252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Defense
Adamant Nature [OMG, I was using Hardy during the whole testing of it <_<]

-Protect
-Mach Punch
-Drain Punch
- Payback

Guts Mach Punch is stronger than Scizor's Technician Bullet Punch [Without CB], and is of a better offensive typing, just to throw that out there.

Protect is for scouting, activateing the orb, and general being a pain to Outragers, although, it may be replaceable with Bulk Up or Taunt.

Drain Punch, combined with Roopushin's bulk, allow it to restore lost HP to keep functioning. Burn Orb is also an option, if you want to clean with Roopushin, as after the 3rd round, Toxic Orb deals more damage.

I was gonna say, the bulky Guts/Drain Punch/Mach Punch/Bulk Up set is screaming my name. I can see it all too perfectly. Either Switch into a burn or toxic or make them switch and get a Bulk Up, two is possible, and then Mach Punch. Leftovers to null burn damage and Drain Punch to stay healthy. Sounds lovely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)