Dragon Cavalry (A Warstory)

Well hello Smogon.

I must say, this is my first warstory and I am quite nervous about it, so keep your comments constructive. This is a match I had against Mister Kill on Pokémon Online under the nickname of Lumin (which was my first username, for those who know me a little). It was the first match we had against each other so none of us knew the opponent's team. Enjoy!

My Comments will look like this.

My Team:

So let's start this.

Battle between mister kill and Lumin started!

Tier: Dream World
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Species Clause

Lumin sent out Aggron!
mister kill sent out Borutorosu!

v.s.

My Aggron's only purpose is to set up Stealth Rocks and Metal Burst any attempts of attacks. It requires great prediction but so far it is really efficient at what it does. I know Borutorosu is more often than not seen as an attacking lead so without thinking much, i just click Metal Burst.

Start of turn 1
The foe's Borutorosu used Thunderbolt!
Aggron lost 300 HP! (87% of its health)

Aggron used Metal Burst!
The foe's Borutorosu lost 99% of its health!
The foe's Borutorosu hung on using its focus sash!

Well, I guess I was right. Now, since I have Custap Berry, I can set up rocks before Borutorosu uses any attack.

Start of turn 2
Aggron ate its Custap Berry!
Aggron is already preparing its next move!
The foe's Borutorosu used Taunt!
Aggron fell for the taunt!

Aggron can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!

That's not good. I totally forgot Mischievous Heart here. It means I won't have SR for the rest of the battle. I can't risk a switch-in, and anyways, Aggron is so slow it won't be able to switch out, come back, and set the rocks up. I have no choice but to sacrifice it.

Lumin: urgh
Lumin: my formidable Aggron lead is getting known I guess
mister kill: no
mister kill: every lead with sturdy
mister kill: does that
mister kill: gigaiasu too
Lumin: I agree
mister kill: custap
mister kill: + sturdy
mister kill: i wouldnt go first anyway so I might as well taunt

Start of turn 3

The foe's Borutorosu used Volt Change!
Aggron lost 44 HP! (12% of its health)
Aggron fainted!

---Scrap Metal.

---1 HP left but still annoying as hell.

6 - 5 for Mister Kill.

mister kill called Borutorosu back!
mister kill sent out Garchomp!

Lumin sent out Ditto!

Ditto transformed into Garchomp!

(Ditto) - 100% v.s.
- 100%

I switched into Ditto, even if I had a Scarf Latios waiting. Why? Well, because not everybody expects a Scarf Latios and more often that not, I get a surprise kill. I knew Ditto could OHKO Garchomp with Outrage, but seriously, so early in the game, it was a BIG mistake. Right after clicking Outrage, I went to cancel but the damned Cancel button wouldn't work.

Start of turn 4
mister kill called Garchomp back!
mister kill sent out Borutorosu!

Ditto used Outrage!
The foe's Borutorosu lost 0% of its health!
The foe's Borutorosu fainted!

- Crashed.

5 - 5

mister kill sent out Genosekuto!

The foe's Genosekuto's Download activates!
The foe's Genosekuto's Attack rose!

Start of turn 5
Ditto used Outrage!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Genosekuto lost 36% of its health!

The foe's Genosekuto used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
Ditto lost 300 HP! (100% of its health)
Ditto fainted!

- Frozen Blob.

- 54%

5 - 4 for Mister Kill.

Right now, I just wake up and realize I'm losing this battle. I made some serious mistakes, and I have to return to the game and concentrate. I send out Blaziken, because if

a) Genosekuto is scarfed, I get the time to set up.
b) It uses T-Bolt I survive, set-up SD, then Blaze Kick, then sweep.
c) It Rock Polishes, I set-up SD, then he T-Bolts, I survive then Blaze Kick.

Lumin sent out Blaziken!

- 100% v.s.
- 54%

Start of turn 6
The foe's Genosekuto used Rock Polish!
The foe's Genosekuto's Speed sharply rose!

Blaziken used Swords Dance!
Blaziken's Attack sharply rose!

Blaziken's Speed Boost increases its speed!
Blaziken's Speed rose!

Seems like it is a RP variant. I know I can survive a LO ThunderBolt (because Download raised Genosekuto's Attack instead of SP attack) and retaliate with Blaze Kick, putting me at +2 Atk, +2 Spe, and ready to sweep.

Start of turn 7
The foe's Genosekuto used Thunderbolt!
Blaziken lost 191 HP! (63% of its health)

Blaziken used Blaze Kick!
It's super effective!
The foe's Genosekuto lost 43% of its health!
The foe's Genosekuto fainted!

- Down and Out.

4 - 4 (for me n_n)

Blaziken's Speed rose!
mister kill sent out Ditto!

The foe's Ditto transformed into Blaziken!

- 27% v.s.
- 100% (Ditto)

Now that's bad. From what I know, Ditto is probably Scarfed so it will easily outspeed my Blaziken and OHKO it with HJK. I want to keep Blaziken so I immediately switch to the Great Leviathan.

Start of turn 8
Lumin called Blaziken back!
Lumin sent out Gyarados!

Gyarados intimidates the foe's Ditto!
The foe's Ditto's Attack fell!
The foe's Ditto used Hi Jump Kick!
The attack of the foe's Ditto missed!
The foe's Ditto kept going and crashed!
The foe's Ditto lost 30% of its health!

The foe's Ditto's Speed Boost increases its speed!
The foe's Ditto's Speed rose!

- 100% v.s.
- 70% (Ditto)

I guess lady luck was with me, though it really did not changed anything important. My Bulky BounceDos has served me a lot in this generation and in the last, and it won't stop now. From what I see, Mister Kill's team is pretty damn offensive, and I know some scarfed revenge-killer is waiting somewhere in that team, so chose not to set up and scout by using waterfall.

Start of turn 9
mister kill called Ditto back!
mister kill sent out Starmie!

Gyarados used Waterfall!
The foe's Starmie lost 31% of its health!

- 100% v.s.
- 69%

Well, I guess it paid me. I did not damage Starmie a lot, but enough to see it is not a bulky variant. I really don't want to eat a Thunderbolt in the face, so I switch to Blaziken as a sacrifice. I really hate this as I sacrifice everybody since the beginning of the game, but sadly, I have no choice.

Start of turn 10
Lumin called Gyarados back!
Lumin sent out Blaziken!

The foe's Starmie used Hydro Pump!
The attack of the foe's Starmie missed!

mister kill: ffff

Quite cool, except it didn't changed anything as it would kill me the second turn and I can't outspeed. Anyways, since Blaziken is pretty dead right now I hope for another miss and use Shadow Claw.

Start of turn 11
mister kill called Starmie back!
mister kill sent out Garchomp!

Blaziken used Shadow Claw!
A critical hit!
The foe's Garchomp lost 70% of its health!
The foe's Garchomp's Rough Skin hurts Blaziken!

Blaziken's Speed rose!

- 4% v.s.
- 30%

Lumin: lol

At the moment I didn't realize what was the point of that switch, as Starmie could have KO Blaziken with any attack, but now I think that he did that because of the scarf Starmie was wearing. I knew Starmie was scarfed because nobody would switch an offensive Starmie in a Gyara that could Dragon Dance. And maybe he thought that I would switch back to Gyara or another water resist, so he chose to send out his other revenge-killer to defeat the threat. Sadly for him, Shadow Claw struck hard because of the critical hit, and his Garchomp is close to death. Blaziken too, btw.

Start of turn 12
The foe's Garchomp used Outrage!
Blaziken lost 13 HP! (4% of its health)
Blaziken fainted!

- Broken. (no pun intended)

4 - 3 for Mister Kill

Lumin sent out Latios!

I really wanted this shark dead, and nobody on my team would enjoy eating an Outrage in the face, so I have no other choice but to reveal my scarf Latios.

Start of turn 13
Latios used Dragon Pulse!
It's super effective!
The foe's Garchomp lost 29% of its health!
The foe's Garchomp fainted!

- Shark Fin Soup.

3 - 3

mister kill sent out Terakion!

- 100% v.s.
- 100%

At this point I perfectly know that Dragon Pulse won't do enough damage to take that thing down (even in two hits), so I bring the only thing that can eat hits from that and strike back.

Start of turn 14
Lumin called Latios back!
Lumin sent out Kerudio!

The foe's Terakion used Rock Polish!
The foe's Terakion's Speed sharply rose!

- 100% v.s.
- 100% (+2 Spe)

I know that Kerudio can survive an unboosted LO Close Combat, and since I want that thing dead, I just stop thinking and use Surf.

Start of turn 15
mister kill called Terakion back!
mister kill sent out Starmie!

Kerudio used Surf!
The foe's Starmie lost 35% of its health!

Starmie is getting low on health after those switch-ins. Now at 33%, I believe Mister Kill will make it dish out a last hit than sacrifice it. I those situations, I usually use the attack that will hurt the Pokémon in front of me, so I was pretty confident Starmie would use Psychic or Thunderbolt. Either way, Latios was a fairly good switch.

Start of turn 16
Lumin called Kerudio back!
Lumin sent out Latios!

The foe's Starmie used Psychic!
Latios lost 84 HP! (27% of its health)
Latios's Sp. Def. fell!

- 73% v.s.
- 23%

At this point, I realize Starmie actually has a Life Orb, not a scarf, which is why it switched out of Blaziken in the first place (Blaziken would have out sped with Speed Boost). I also realize it switched in Gyara not suspecting Bounce (who uses it anyways), and that if I had used Dragon Dance in the first place I could've swept his team. Anyways, it doesn't matter now. Starmie is dead.

Start of turn 17
The foe's Starmie lost 23% of its health!
The foe's Starmie fainted!

--- Pulsed.

3 - 2 for Lumin (Yes finally)

mister kill sent out Terakion!

- 73% v.s.
- 100%

The same scenario as before. The only thing I can do is switch to Kerudio and hope for the best.

Start of turn 18
Lumin sent out Kerudio!

The foe's Terakion used Swords Dance!
The foe's Terakion's Attack sharply rose!

I know that Close Combat will OHKO my pony. And I know that surf will OHKO his Terakion. The fuck is, it's a speed tie. Damned Game freak for giving so much pokes the same speed. Also, look at that shit: Its big and fat and has gigantic horns. It should have like 72 base speed or something. Ugh...

mister kill: uh okay
mister kill: the rest of the battle
mister kill: is a huge speed tie fest
mister kill: >_>
Lumin: yeah
Lumin: I must agree
Lumin: good luck
mister kill: you too

Start of turn 19
The foe's Terakion used Close Combat!
Kerudio lost 323 HP! (100% of its health)
The foe's Terakion's Defense fell!
The foe's Terakion's Sp. Def. fell!
Kerudio fainted!

--- can't be cute and immortal.

2 - 2

Lumin sent out Latios!

- 73% v.s.
- 90%

Right now I just want that thing dead. I know Mister Kill won't risk a Ditto switch-in because of Draco Meteor, so I just go for the Surf. Thinking of it, I should have Draco Meteored.

Start of turn 20
Latios used Surf!
It's super effective!
The foe's Terakion lost 90% of its health!
The foe's Terakion fainted!

---Cooled down.

2 - 1 for Lumin

mister kill sent out Ditto!

The foe's Ditto transformed into Latios!

At this point I don't know what to think. I have a Gyarados at full health waiting, but I doubt he can take two Dragon Pulses. Latios has Draco Meteor, Surf, Thunderbolt and Dragon Pulse. The best choice for Mister Kill is obviously to use Dragon Pulse. I still switch to Gyara, because I'm locked in Surf right now and its not good.

Start of turn 21
Lumin sent out Gyarados!

Gyarados intimidates the foe's Ditto!
The foe's Ditto's Attack fell!
The foe's Ditto used Dragon Pulse!
Gyarados lost 153 HP! (41% of its health)
Gyarados restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Lumin: oh yes

- 65% v.s.
- 70% (Ditto)

That turn was really important for me, as I get that Ditto can't 2HKO Gyarados with Dragon Pulse, which gives me the time to Bounce to put Ditto in the KO range of my own Dragon Pulse without risking Draco Meteor's unsafe 90 accuracy. Moreover, Bounce as a good 30% chance to paralyse (25,5% factoring accuracy), which would avoid the need of a speed tie at the end.

Start of turn 22
Gyarados lost 172 HP! (46% of its health)

Gyarados sprang up!

mister kill: don’t
mister kill: paralyze

Start of turn 23

Gyarados used Bounce!
The foe's Ditto lost 61% of its health!

Lumin: ugh
Lumin: of course
mister kill: ive had worse hax
mister kill: really
Lumin: remember eccentric keeps ditto's 48 base hp
mister kill: yeah
mister kill: not much less than latios
mister kill: 300 isn’t bad actually

Start of turn 24
Gyarados lost 114 HP! (30% of its health)
Gyarados fainted!

Lumin sent out Latios!

So what happened is that I succeeded to land Bounce, which was great, but it only left Ditto with a trolly 9% hp, with no paralysis and a dead Gyarados. The good thing is, Ditto is more than in the KO range of Latios' Dragon Pulse. The bad thing is that I have to win the speed tie.

mister kill: gg
mister kill: i don’t really
mister kill: want to win it
Lumin: I’m scarfed too
mister kill: D=
Lumin: seriously
Lumin: why?
mister kill: because
mister kill: then I'd have won 2 speed ties
mister kill: while avoiding paralysis
Lumin: Actually, I think it was a great battle
mister kill: yeah it was
Lumin: Well, it all comes down to the speed tie. Good luck, dude.
mister kill: Good luck.
Lumin: Let's do it.

As in every good warstory, there is a suspense at the end like: Will Focus Blast hit? Will my attack kill the opponent, even if it's not exactly in the KO range? D:
Well, there is. Except that my chances at winning are EXACTLY 50%, which is formidable. I like it. So, let's do it.

Start of turn 25...

OK I'll just stop.

It's super effective!
The foe's Ditto lost 9% of its health!
The foe's Ditto fainted!

Lumin won the battle!

Lumin: yes! n_n
mister kill: gg ^_^
Lumin: gg, awesome battle

~ ~ ~​

Pros & Cons​

Pros:

*Blaziken for messing with his team early game and scoring a crit on Chomp.
*Gyara for being bulky like shit, annoying the opponent's team mid-game and taking two Dragon Pulses.
*Latios for putting a great offensive pressure during all the match and being an awesome revenge-killer in general.

*Mister Kill's Ditto for scaring me. A lot.
*Mister Kill's Terakion for threatening me and taking out Kerudio in one hit.
*Mister Kill's Borutorosu for protecting his team of Stealth Rock. Seriously. With the rocks, all would have been so much easier for me...

*The game itself, for not having too much hax, and in the case we had, it was balanced on both sides.

*Mister Kill for being a great opponent with great spirit.

Cons

*Aggron for being taunted by a Genie. Come on.
*Kerudio for doing nothing.
*Me for using the fantastic Pokémon that is Ditto really bad, Outraging at the beginning of the game.
*Me for making seriously dumb mistakes at the beginning of the match.

~ ~ ~

Well thank you readers, waiting for your critiques!​

Mister Kill's Team:

I thought it was pretty good for a first time warstory, pity that your pony did jack all through the entire game haha :)

I liked it, 4/5

Well played, loved the momentum of the game, and how both you and your opponent constantly kept each other on end.

Ditto displayed in this match and about 20 of the ones that I've played that it can be a major pain in the @$$ and that you should always be prepared for it.

Good match, cool commentary and a good battle. I personally wouldn't really consider the speed ties as hax, considering they sort of evened out.

I think the formatting for a couple colors didn't process or something, but otherwise I liked this battle and cannot wait for your next one :D

8.5/10

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Great warstory. Loving Ditto this gen. Good work. My only nitpick is that 'suspenceful' ending at the end, which I personally just hate, but otherwise a very enjoyable warstory.

"I want this guy dead.", was repeated quite a few times. xD
Other than that, I enjoyed the speed tie suspense.

I think you could've put a little more effort into your commentary.

Also, I think the prediction was somewhat lackluster. The only thing I 'liked' was the Starmie using Hydro Pump as you switched, but I think Blaziken would've fainted to Thunderbolt as well, rendering that not as fascinating prediction but a misclick.

Sorry for being so harsh--its a decentish start to warstories.

Amazing warstory. Really loved the surprise ending and your comments are very lucid.

Just one question, why did you switch out Blaziken? After one Speed Boost, you would have speed tied Choice Scarf Ditto.

Ditto suddenly became a huge threat. I know, everybody already said that, but is still impressive for me.

Also, good warstory. The font problems make it harder to read, so you could fix that. Otherwise, well written and played.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This was pretty good. The only problem I can see is that I think Hi Jump Kick's mechanics are flawed on PO. A HJK miss should have done 50% to Ditto.

The foe's Ditto used Hi Jump Kick!
The foe's Ditto kept going and crashed!
The foe's Ditto lost 30% of its health!

I thought thought it was confirmed that HJK always does 50% on a crash now.

Had you sacked your latios at the end rather than switching to gyarados, gyarados would have been able to do two bounces for a more likely win, without risking the speed tie.

Eccentric ditto doesn't exist. Either does speed boost Blaziken.

PO warstories can't really be taken seriously for this reason, but it was still fun to read.

PO warstories can't really be taken seriously for this reason, but it was still fun to read.
Uh why not? There's going to be a DW server on PL(from what I heard) that will let us use DW abilities, which will probably lead to it's own tiers. I don't really get why we can't these kind of warstories seriously.

But nice warstory, the commentary was somewhat lacking, but overall very good.

Speed Boost Blaziken exists. It hasn't been released yet, but the date it'll be released has already been confirmed, so we know it will exist. It's not like the Azure Flute where we have to hope it'll be released.

Ditto is another story, but it may have already been released. From what I understand, this hasn't been confirmed as either false or true yet.

Nice Warstory, the Shadow Claw crit didnt matter anyway, as Latios would have OHKO'd with Dragon Pulse. Also shows what a great Revenge Killer Eccentric Ditto is.

Aside from the problems with the color formatting, I suppose this was a good warstory. 4/5. Nice team too;p.

Amazing warstory. Really loved the surprise ending and your comments are very lucid.

Just one question, why did you switch out Blaziken? After one Speed Boost, you would have speed tied Choice Scarf Ditto.
Ditto copies stat boosts.

Good warstory, save the suspense. I like fast-paced battles and this was no exception. 4/5.

Speed Boost Blaziken exists. It hasn't been released yet, but the date it'll be released has already been confirmed, so we know it will exist. It's not like the Azure Flute where we have to hope it'll be released.

Ditto is another story, but it may have already been released. From what I understand, this hasn't been confirmed as either false or true yet.
It doesn't exist. We know it WILL, but it doesn't as of now ;) Although in other cases, we assume a state of nonexistence until proven otherwise (doing it the other way around is essentially impossible without actually asking Nintendo)

I personally hope Eccentric Ditto is never released. It's fun to mess with for a bit, but it gets pretty sickening after a while.

The warstory itself was pretty nice. It really emphasizes the importance of speed ties (and to me, it proves how boring Ditto is)

I enjoyed reading this battle...The battle was fairly exciting coming down to so many speed ties and scarfed mons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)