Charizard

Ulgamoth. Might as well use the full romanization.

Reason? Belly Drum. Fastest user of it. Charizard is. (Not counting Smeargle, he's a big cheater.) That's pretty much the main reason.

And it's not like Ulgamoth doesn't also suffer from the SR problem. :0 If you're using Charizard, you probably take the same countermeasures as you do with Ulgamoth... get a Spinner.
Charizard may be a faster drummer then hihidaruma, but only 5 more speed is not worth taking over 56 more attack and no double sr weakness.
And unlike charizard, moth is actually worth the effort of clearing rocks for due to massive sweeping potential after a boost. They both have the same problems but moth has a very powerful boosting move and can contribute beyond a few decently powerful attacks once accommodated.
Charizard is a subpar pokemon, that's all there is to it.

the problem with solar power zard in sun team is perhaps because nearly every other pokemon that work well in sun like doredia jumpluff and ESPECIALY Badasssaur and Uregreatmoth and many more has big niche over charizard. Power not same with Effectivity. If it is, Heracross will be most used pokemon after all

Probably UU?

Definately NU. Since when did it ever have a chance in OU?

Rackham glad that you agree, charzard is a great NU sweeper better used after A rapid spin lead Like torkoal or sandslash he rapes custom choice focus punch Furret sets he is a better alternative to magmotar and when he is K'oed tauros can finish the job.

My point is charizard true home is NU I don't even play OU or UU so I don't know how it's like but from an expirience NU player I know whats broken *cough** rest/talk slaking* not charizard.

sorry for my bad grammer since everyone seems to bash me about that.

Charizard was never NU until Stealth Rock was introduced. :0 Now that it's much more scarce in this generation compared to the last, I suspect that Charizard use may see a rise, if people can just get past how crippling SR was to him last generation... >___>

Plus, a very probably non-Uber Drought user plus the addition of Solar Power to his arsenal has to do something for him. Lord knows he's probably a better Solar Power user than Sunflora, who pretty much sucks, and Tropius, who's just about slow as hell.

Charizard might not be able to sweep teams like one would want, to but with scarf and solar power a lot of pokes will take hits hard and expectedly. Being very unpredictable is what every charizard has to its advantage and shouldnt be taken so lightly, being that a wrong prediction by the opponent could benefit you lots. Also being a fire type that resist fighting and can come in on ground moves for free comes in handy more then people think. Just keep those stealth rocks clear :D

How about Shell Bell on Charizard? Can't it heal back up with strong base SpA to negate the Solar Power damage?
Leftovers would be better because it heals the same amount all the time, even if you kill something at 10 hp or something, where shell bell would heal like 1 or 2.

Life orb, expert belt or leftovers. Power, balance, longevity.
Or you could go wild and throw a petaya/salac berry onto it.

Leftovers would be better because it heals the same amount all the time, even if you kill something at 10 hp or something, where shell bell would heal like 1 or 2.

Life orb, expert belt or leftovers. Power, balance, longevity.
Or you could go wild and throw a petaya/salac berry onto it.
Charizard isn't bulky enough to get any use out of Leftovers. Life Orb, Petaya, Salac, or even Expert Belt would be a better way to go. On non-Belly Drum stat-boosting sets, Focus Sash could help too as long as SR is on the field; Spikes and Tspikes don't matter 'cause he floats over them.

Charizard was never NU until Stealth Rock was introduced. :0 Now that it's much more scarce in this generation compared to the last, I suspect that Charizard use may see a rise, if people can just get past how crippling SR was to him last generation... >___>

Plus, a very probably non-Uber Drought user plus the addition of Solar Power to his arsenal has to do something for him. Lord knows he's probably a better Solar Power user than Sunflora, who pretty much sucks, and Tropius, who's just about slow as hell.
Charizard was only BL in RSE because no one ever dropped the BL Pokemon into UU like we did in Gen 4. Charizard would have likely ended up UU or even NU without SR.

Edit: Leftovers is a decent option on Charizard, particularly if you're using a Sub set.

Charizard was only BL in RSE because no one ever dropped the BL Pokemon into UU like we did in Gen 4. Charizard would have likely ended up UU or even NU without SR.

Edit: Leftovers is a decent option on Charizard, particularly if you're using a Sub set.
Orly? :\ Were you around to know that for yourself?
I don't know if you've noticed, but we still have BL Pokemon even now, at the end of the 4th Generation's competetive scene. Just like we did with the second... and the third... Hmm, could there be a pattern here?? Charizard was PROBABLy in BL around that time because he was too powerful for UU, but not really used much in OU, just like all of the other BL Pokemon from every generation.

...speaking of things that should be completely obvious...
Charizard has no noteworthy bulk to speak of. Therefore, Leftovers is almost always a waste of a moveslot-- even on sets with Substitute. Most Zard sets using the move only use it so they can safely Sub down to activate Blaze + Salac/Petaya Berry, which IMO is a far better use than Leftovers on Charizard.

Ive been using

Charizard @Life Orb
252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
Timid
~Fire Blast
~Dragon Pulse
~Solar Beam
~Air Slash

He is beast

Solarbeam makes me sad. :(

But it makes Tyranitar happy, so I guess it's an ok trade-off.

Can you use Hidden Power Grass instead?

Ive been using

Charizard @Life Orb
252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
Timid
~Fire Blast
~Dragon Pulse
~Solar Beam
~Air Slash

He is beast
I assume you're also using this with Ninetales support and Solar Power? :0 Charlemagne is right though, Solarbeam is dangerous, especially if you don't have a surefire TTar counter. You have to be extremely careful with a set like this to ensure that any enemy weather-changers are well out of the way before attempting to sweep with this.

I have found great success with this set:

Charizard (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Nitro Charge

Loves to come in once the sun is out and reak havoc. 522 Sp Atk after Solar Power activates is nothing to laugh at and +1 speed from Nitro Boost makes it an amazing late game clean up/sweeper.

Air Slash is for the pesky fightings that are running around now. Dragon Pulse allows Charizard to deal with the dragons, as he outspeeds all of them after a nitro charge (Minus Scarfchomp). Flamethrower is STAB and much prefered over Fire Blast as the chance to miss can make or break the match, as Charizard is not bulky at all and with the HP drain from Solar Power he is even more fragile.

Leftovers could be substituted for Life Orb or Expert Belt to add some extra kick, but Charizard usually hits hard enough as is and the extra time Lefties give can be priceless.

As always Charizard will benefit immensely from SR removal/prevention, but it can still smash enemies with only 50% of its HP left. I suggest pairing it with either a spinner (Doryuzuu or Tentacruel would cover him pretty well) or a Taunter (Erufuun). Magic Mirror pokes can also support him well, specifically Espeon as it can set up the Sun if it needs to to allow Charizard to come in and wreck havoc.

^I like Nitro Charge on Charizard.

omg! without rox up he can switch in on like every Sciza set eva and boost speed!!1

Seriously, he can.

Off topic, when I was young, I never thought Venusaur was the best Kanto Starter. Probably had something to do with how terrible Poison typing was in RBY.

OMFG yeah, I totally forgot about Nitro Chargizard. :O It's pretty much perfect, the only change I would make is HP Grass over Air Slash. But meh, it pretty much works either way.

EDIT: Oh wait, then Charizard is walled by Heatran. :\ ...Meh. I guess Focus Blast...? >.> Sucky accuracy aside, it's all he has for Tran if he's running Solar Power.

I pair my Charizard with growth Venusaur to take care of the pesky waters and Heatran. Growth puts Venusaur into the 500+ range for stats, and he gets access to a sleep move to make setting up insanely easy. With double speed under the sun. Kinda makes you wonder whether gamefreak wanted us to pair the Kanto starters together...

Yeah Nitro Charge is Solar Power Charizards greatest asset. I personally use Air Slash for taking out the fighting types, particularly Roobushin. HP Grass is an option for coverage against Waters, and earthquake could be run with some Atk EVs to take care of Heatran. All personal preference and also based on how your teams deal with those threats.

I pair my Charizard with growth Venusaur to take care of the pesky waters and Heatran. Growth puts Venusaur into the 500+ range for stats, and he gets access to a sleep move to make setting up insanely easy. With double speed under the sun. Kinda makes you wonder whether gamefreak wanted us to pair the Kanto starters together...

Yeah Nitro Charge is Solar Power Charizards greatest asset. I personally use Air Slash for taking out the fighting types, particularly Roobushin. HP Grass is an option for coverage against Waters, and earthquake could be run with some Atk EVs to take care of Heatran. All personal preference and also based on how your teams deal with those threats.
Does Roobushin OHKO with Iron Fist Mach Punch though?

I doubt it. :0 Roopushin doesn't KO a lot of neutral stuff with unboosted Mach Punch, and while Charizard might not be the sturdiest Pokemon around, he does still resist it.

I guess Air Slash is good to have if you're super worried about Machamp and Roopushin, but you overlooked the fact (which I just stated >___>) that your set is walled by Heatran, Byrn. :0 It's only one Pokemon, but that's all it takes to stop a sweep. Just keep that in mind, Hidden Power or no... >.>

OMFG yeah, I totally forgot about Nitro Chargizard. :O It's pretty much perfect, the only change I would make is HP Grass over Air Slash. But meh, it pretty much works either way.

EDIT: Oh wait, then Charizard is walled by Heatran. :\ ...Meh. I guess Focus Blast...? >.> Sucky accuracy aside, it's all he has for Tran if he's running Solar Power.
if you're using solar power zard means there's sunlight so why choose hp grass when there's solarbeam?

Does Roobushin OHKO with Iron Fist Mach Punch though?
Roobushin's Max Attack Guts boosted Mach Punch fails to OHKO 0/0 Deoxys Attack Forme after SR. ._.

An unboosted one would tickle Charizard. It maxes out at 18%

Seriously, low BP priority moves suck against things that resist them. Remember this, folks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)