Someone scoop up pokelab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that the maker of shoddy battle left and discontinued pokelab. I have not been able to log in for the last few days.I just wanted to say that Pokelab is the better simulator for straight up pokemon battling.Even though the option for a cancel button is not there the amount of double move mouse slips on pokemon online ( when i hit a move and it carries over to the next turn unintentionally) hamper my ability to enjoy it.

So the question is will anyone scoop up this great simulator? Or will smogon ride dirty in pokemon online?

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Honestly, I don't support scooping up pokelab. I think it would be in Smogon's best interest to ride dirty in pokemon online until pokelab has gen 5, or maybe even continue to ride dirty in pokemon online and never scoop up pokelab. The latter is probably not going to happen but as of right now we need to ride dirty in pokemon online to stay updated with 5th gen.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It didn't get canned. It is no longer affiliated with Smogon and does not have a dedicated server of its own yet.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
So then is there a simulator which is affiliated with Smogon now? Shoddy was just taken down, so it looks like we only have the CAP server at the moment. Are there plans for a new server on one of the simulators?

PO is complaining of Smogonite infestations in its Gen V server.

I think it's same to say it's more our dirt than PO's dirt now.

...Just use PO and hope PL gets its own server again soon.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PL isn't "canned". It's open source, anyone can work on it...

Smogon doesn't (yet) have a server for any Pokemon simulator.

Stay tuned.

Cathy left Smogon. She worked on it and now Pokelab is its own entity. Which sucks because Smogon gained a lot of dominance by owning the most used simulator at the time, Shoddy.

Cathy left Smogon. She worked on it and now Pokelab is its own entity. Which sucks because Smogon gained a lot of dominance by owning the most used simulator at the time, Shoddy.
Luckily, PO supports individual servers.

A Smogon server might actually prove beneficial in the meantime.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Smogon didn't "own" Shoddy. Nobody "owns" Shoddy or PokeLab like that. Cathy, bearzly, and Super have made PokeLab available for use under the GPL. This means anyone can take the project, modify it, and distribute it as they see fit as long as they make the resulting product available under the same license.

The only difference was those three users were willing to work on the program, and nobody else seemingly is.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't see why Smogon can't just switch over to another program (PO). This is exactly what happened when Netbattle became outdated years ago and everyone made the jump to Shoddy (because it was regularly updated and has a new generation). And just like Netbattle, there's a select few users still attached to Shoddy and Pokelab who are not willing to change with the times. If Pokelab HAD gen 5 as well then it would be a different story, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it will anytime soon. Unless that changes and Smogon continues to support Pokelab then it will probably lose a fair chunk of its userbase for good.

Why don't we go to Pokemon Online? Then we could educate all those noobs over there and make them ditch Gardevoir for useful pokes like Lucario.

...I know about the elitism thing.

...PO isn't doing itself any favors though.

Maybe we could make our own server on PO (and a CAP PO server) so our elitist stigma prevents noobs from getting onto the server?

Gabe said:
This is exactly the elitist attitude that validates people from other sites being dismissive of Smogon.
It is nonsensical to take the ravings of a random small-time poster as the word of an entire community. Claiming Smogon is elitist because a few crazed users spout nonsense is equally as crazy as what they do.

I have, and always will, prefer PokeLab to PO because of its interface and simplicity. PO is just too gaudy for me. That said, Smogon's staff is evaluating PO for the possibility of creating an official server there. If that happens, the public will be informed.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
...I know about the elitism thing.

...PO isn't doing itself any favors though.

Maybe we could make our own server on PO (and a CAP PO server) so our elitist stigma prevents noobs from getting onto the server?
The first and only server I ever used was Smogon's, ever since I was a "noob." Sure, I wasn't using stuff like Blast Burn Charizard, but I was still very rusty and I learned to play by suffering defeats of much better players than I. I'm pretty sure Smogon's philosophy does not include rejecting beginners, no matter how bad they are. If you want better players to face, rally people onto PO, but let the new players stay. That's what the ladder system is for - when they learn and get better, they'll move up and become more skilled battlers.

It is nonsensical to take the ravings of a random small-time poster as the word of an entire community. Claiming Smogon is elitist because a few crazed users spout nonsense is equally as crazy as what they do.

I have, and always will, prefer PokeLab to PO because of its interface and simplicity. PO is just too gaudy for me. That said, Smogon's staff is evaluating PO for the possibility of creating an official server there. If that happens, the public will be informed.
You're missing the point. Obviously that is not Smogon's viewpoint, but these "random small-time posters" are the same people who jump into battles and troll endlessly. The fact is that people take offense to this behavior and associate it with Smogon as a whole, despite the fact that it is not the view of the community as a whole. This is similar to how small branches of Islam and Christianity spew hatred, and people associate this hatred to the whole religion. Okay, this is Smogon and not religion lol, but you get the point.

I think this thread is starting to go towards the quality of battlers not the quality of the simulator.In my experience PO battlers and Smogon (shoddy) battlers are equal up to a certain point. While ill admit pokemon online has a very nice interface it just does not have that "ladder" that we all try to get to the top of.I feel if smogon sticks with pokemon online then there will be two big servers separated. The problem is that if pokemon lab stays in its current form without 5th gen then its obviously going to be left in the dust once english black and white comes out.id still like to have a good 4th gen server to play on since its the most stable metagame.

Pokemon Online is horribly buggy. Attacks go through Substitute and switching causes Pokemon to be healed to full. PO already had Gen V implemented which is nice, and if you setup your own server there is a ladder; however the issue is the bugs. I really liked the PokeLab interface and team builder, and Shoddy was great too; nice and clean, where PO has a large clunky interface the most annoying part of which is their team builder.

My only questions is where is Pokemon Online, I havent played in a week, and I want to try out my team.
http://www.pokemon-online.eu/

Pokemon Online is horribly buggy. Attacks go through Substitute and switching causes Pokemon to be healed to full. PO already had Gen V implemented which is nice, and if you setup your own server there is a ladder; however the issue is the bugs. I really liked the PokeLab interface and team builder, and Shoddy was great too; nice and clean, where PO has a large clunky interface the most annoying part of which is their team builder.

http://www.pokemon-online.eu/
Um, what are you talking about? I've never seen either of those happen in all the time I've been on PO (since May). In fact I would say Pokemon Online currently has fewer bugs than Poke Lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)