Charizard

Because then anything that gets rid of the sun can switch in and force you to waste two turns on a 60 BP attack.
if you're making a sunny day team means you have to have a backup sunnyday poke i rather have a hp ice/electric solar beam fire blast and focus blast for type coverage and this set still beats the pokes who get rid of sunny day hp ice for hippo hp elec for politoed fire blast for abomasnow and focus blast for tryantitar

if you're making a sunny day team means you have to have a backup sunnyday poke i rather have a hp ice/electric solar beam fire blast and focus blast for type coverage and this set still beats the pokes who get rid of sunny day hp ice for hippo hp elec for politoed fire blast for abomasnow and focus blast for tryantitar
You do realize that Charizard can't switch out while charging SolarBeam and will get Stone Edged into oblivion, right?

Running two different Hidden Powers is quite a feat. How do you accomplish this?

You do realize that Charizard can't switch out while charging SolarBeam and will get Stone Edged into oblivion, right?
stone edge has crappy accuracy and the only time you are going to use solarbeam is when your opponent is water and ground(like swampert) and if you know that your opponent is also playing a weather team would u even use solarbeam before taking out the one who get rids of sunny day?

stone edge has crappy accuracy and the only time you are going to use solarbeam is when your opponent is water and ground(like swampert) and if you know that your opponent is also playing a weather team would u even use solarbeam before taking out the one who get rids of sunny day?
Swampert! Good job, come back!
Go get em' Tyranitar!
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Charizard is absorbing sunlight!

Charizard is (still) absorbing sunlight!
Tyranitar used Stone Edge!
Charizard fainted!

You can also substitute Hippowdon in there.

You don't want to rely on Tyranitar being dead to have an effective moveset.

@Charlemagne
I put out that you could run earthquake, or you could go HP Ground. Focus Blast could also be run, but you run the chance of missing. Like I said I am not worried about Heatran because my team takes care of it pretty easily.

Also Air Slash gets STAB.

Solarbeam would be preferable over HP Grass, as you usually want to bring out Charizard after the Weather changers are gone anyways. With infinite sun Solarbeam isn't a horrible move. Just make sure those weather changers are gone.

Go get em' Tyranitar!

Charizard fainted!

your example was nice but you forgot some details..you would only switch out swampert if you switch in to a charizard jst to counter it but didn't know it would get damage that much(LO fire blast hurt swampert a lot if it switches in right into it in the sun and charizard could afford to use another move to kill it) and there's no way swampert could be at full health in your example, why? because why would i switch in my charizard in a sunny day team against a swampert when tango has easier time to set up against it?

your example was nice but you forgot some details..you would only switch out swampert if you switch in to a charizard jst to counter it but didn't know it would get damage that much(LO fire blast hurt swampert a lot if it switches in right into it in the sun and charizard could afford to use another move to kill it) and there's no way swampert could be at full health in your example, why? because why would i switch in my charizard in a sunny day team against a swampert when tango has easier time to set up against it?
Well... I sorta see your point.

I am very cautious about stuff like this, though. I'd hate to risk losing Charizard just for more power. I mean, it's not like Hidden Power won't OHKO Pert.

Well... I sorta see your point.

I am very cautious about stuff like this, though. I'd hate to risk losing Charizard just for more power. I mean, it's not like Hidden Power won't OHKO Pert.
oh i get what you mean =)...anyway, it just sucks that it has a 4x weakness to stealth rock i mean it looks so cool and it's ash's 2nd best pokemon, it's just sad that it can only be in NU or maybe UU.

Go get em' Tyranitar!

Charizard fainted!

Why does it take 2 turns?

...Specs?

I know it's crazy, but it along with Solar Power seems to double (?...does SP multiply after Specs or before...?) Charizard's Special Attack.

As long as he's timid and he still gives his EVs in speed then he is still relatively fast.

Probably won't work when vsing priority users but it gives you a whole lot of power before it faints from the sheer power he releases.

...Specs?

I know it's crazy, but it along with Solar Power seems to double (?...does SP multiply after Specs or before...?) Charizard's Special Attack.

As long as he's timid and he still gives his EVs in speed then he is still relatively fast.

Probably won't work when vsing priority users but it gives you a whole lot of power before it faints from the sheer power he releases.
1.5*1.5

It would be 2.25, slightly less than +3 SpAtk.

I swore it'd be 2.0 due the boosts being added, not multiplied? Either way, still damn powerful.
All multipliers in Pokémon are multiplicative, never additive. Ever. The only exception which isn't really an exception is that Metronome's (the item) multiplier changes from 1.0 to 2.0, increasing by 0.1 for every consecutive use of the move. Yet these are seperate multipliers and are never used in conjunction, and thus are never additive.

If you're going to run Solarbeam, you might as well be running an unSTABed Tackle.

I swore it'd be 2.0 due the boosts being added, not multiplied? Either way, still damn powerful.
Neither Solar Power nor Choice Specs gives the Pokemon a +1 boost to their SpAtk. They simply multiply it SpAtk by 1.5. Thus, 1.5x1.5=2.25. If you Baton Pass a Calm Mind to a Specs Solar Power Charizard, its SpAtk would be 3.375x the normal value (1.5x1.5x1.5=3.375).

Just some information for the record:

109: Charizard's base SpA
317: Charizard's Max SpA with neutral nature
476: Charizard's SpA after Solar Power (476.5, however after every step you MUST drop the decimals)
714: Charizard's SpA after Choice Specs
95: The Power of Flamethrower
142: The Power of Flamethrower with STAB (Again, dropping all decimals)
213: Adding Sun, the Power of Flamethrower
714*213 = 152082 (Effective Power of Charizard's Flamethrower. Divide this by the target's SpD stat for the maximal damage)

Just some numbers, and information on how math in Pokemon works.

Charizard's Speed = 100
Number of things that outspeed it: Lots.

Choice'd fire move damage to entei: 78.5% - 92.5% (Wow, charizard AND entei suck)
Choice'd fire move damage to Arcanine, Shandera, Heatran...: 0% - 0%

Charizard's Speed = 100
Number of things that outspeed it: Lots.

Choice'd fire move damage to entei: 78.5% - 92.5% (Wow, charizard AND entei suck)
Choice'd fire move damage to Arcanine, Shandera, Heatran...: 0% - 0%
what about Specsed Air Slash to Arcanine and Shandera? Focus Blast to Heatran? Maybe Scarf is better than Specs, but regardless, Nitro Charge is probably going to be more effective than Choice sets on Zard.

I myself use a Scarf zard and these moves prove to be the best for me. Fireblast in the sun 2hkos shandera and every fire type without flashfire.

fireblast
HP Ground
dragonpulse
solarbeam

i can see a choice specs set coming into play with his new ability solar power. +2 flamethrower/fire blast/ overheat can OHKO most walls in OU bar blissey, but she gets 3hkoed by focus blast. 100 base speed in respectable but not fantastic. i think a hit and run attacker can be used, capable of splitting the opponents defenses and letting other team mates go on through.

i can see a choice specs set coming into play with his new ability solar power. +2 flamethrower/fire blast/ overheat can OHKO most walls in OU bar blissey, but she gets 3hkoed by focus blast. 100 base speed in respectable but not fantastic. i think a hit and run attacker can be used, capable of splitting the opponents defenses and letting other team mates go on through.
Blissey takes a 2hko with fireblast under the sun.

A STAB, Sun boosted Fire Blast has 135 Base Power when it's resisted. An SE Hidden Power will only have 140 Base Power. That doesn't really make a significant enough difference to warrant its use for those Pokemon. You really only need moves that will hit things that are immune to Fire or dual resist it like Heatran and Kingdra.

On another note, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to use Dragon Pulse with Solar Power, as Charizard can only get it from a Gen 4 TM or as an Egg Move and all of the event DW Pokemon that have been released so far are all male with only level up moves.

after testing solar power zard with sun support from drought-tales on random wi-fi, i've noticed the following things:

- my set was:
charizard@ expert belt
timid, 252 sp atk / speed, 6 df

nitro charge
dragon pulse
air slash
HP ground

... so seeing as how dragon pulse and solar power were allowed onto wifi, nintendo acknowledges it's legal.

- despite not having a (good) fire move, nitro charge is probably the single best move on this set. assuming you see their entire team beforehand, you can predict flash-fire users pretty well and HP ground them (all of them are weak to HP ground, heatran doubly so). i have never wanted for flamethrower, as dragon pulse / HP ground are only resisted by bronzong / skarmory, which are both rare and stupid switches into charizard. stuff like nattorei/scizor/lucario get hit for neutral with air slash

- the only things that OHKO charizard are obvious things like rock moves or specs jolteon, so nitro charge away and outspeed 99% of the metagame. the nice thing is too that random wi-fi has item clause, so by default they can only have 1 scarf user.

- having all that said, if charizard can't OHKO the other pokemon, it usually dies. solar power even saps your health the turn you switch in, and that damage adds up quickly. stealth rock is non-existant in a 3v3 mode (for obvious reasons), but charizard still needs to avoid it like the plague.

- if the sun is not out, charizard is boned. i don't even use him if i see tyranitar or hippowdon on their team; it's not worth it with non-boosted special attack

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)