Cleffa (Analysis)

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus

QC Approvals: 2/2 [Heysup] [macle]

GP Approvals: 2/2 [Flora] [snorlaxe]

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/cleffa
[Overview]

<p>Cleffa is one of the weakest Pokémon in Little Cup, due to its generally mediocre stats. The most notable of Cleffa's flaws is the fact that it is KOed by just about every attack in Little Cup. Moreover, Cleffa cannot utilize a majority of its otherwise amazing movepool due to its low stats
. However, access to the exclusive Magic Guard, which makes Cleffa immune to all indirect forms of damage, gives Cleffa a certain niche: an annoying Endeavor user. Steer clear from Cleffa unless you want to try something daring but new.</p>

[SET]
name: Endeavor
move 1: Endeavor
move 2: Protect
move 3: Toxic / Thunder Wave
move 4: Encore
item: Focus Sash
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Hasty
evs: 8 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set takes advantage of Cleffa’s poor base stats in order to take down at least one Pokemon with it. Cleffa's Magic Guard makes sure that it isn't affected by indirect damage from the likes of Stealth Rock, which allows Cleffa to keep its Focus Sash intact. Endeavor should be used on the first turn since with Cleffa's incredibly low Speed and defenses, it will likely be smashed down right off the bat. By then, Cleffa's Focus Sash will activate, and the opponent will be left with 1 HP, which is enough for it to be KOed by residual damage from hail or sandstorm. Protect allows Cleffa to scout for potential counters, such as Trick users, and also to anticipate what move the opponent is using when Cleffa has no use left after using Endeavor. Both Toxic and Thunder Wave are helpful for crippling Pokemon that are immune to Endeavor, hail, and/or sandstorm, such as Gastly, Swinub, and Diglett. Lastly, Encore can prevent opponents, such as Substitute and stat boosting users, from setting up on Cleffa. By doing this, Cleffa has another chance to KO the switch-in with Endeavor.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Hail can be used over the third slot ifyour team doesn't utilize Snover, but finding time to use it is hard. It's better to just put Snover in your team and preserve its health throughout the match. This set not only works with Snover's hail, but also with Hippopotas's Sand Stream ability. Sadly, there are more Pokemon immune to sandstorm than hail, making it a lesser option. The 8 Speed EVs allow Cleffa to outspeed and Endeavor Bronzor in case it switches in after Cleffa has taken down an opposing Pokemon.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Snover is a mandatory teammate to make this set work, due to its ability tosummon permanent hail. Hail helps pick off every Pokemon excluding Ice-types after they have been Endeavored. Snover is not the only viable team option, as Hippopotas's sandstorm is also a plausible tool. Any Pokémon with Pluck, such as Taillow, can be useful for countering Oran Berry users so that Cleffa's strategy doesn't get ruined. Due to this set only requiring specific weather support, it has no real necessary teammates besides the above weather-inducers.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Cleffa has a great amount of other options, but sadly it can't make good use of them due to its pathetic Speed. Trick can be used to steal the opponent's item after Focus Sash has been used, but Cleffa will usually die before pulling it off. Wish has the same problem, but it can be a rewarding option if there's time. With base 45 Special Attack, Cleffa could use special attacks such as Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, and Icy Wind, but it's better off destroying foes with Endeavor. Thunder Wave in conjunction with Swagger or Sweet Kiss can be annoying, and could even allow Cleffa to use Endeavor again. Lastly, if you're lucky enough, Sing can put a foe to sleep.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Ghost-types such as Gastly and Drifloon are the best counters to this set as they are not affected by Endeavor. They can also use Substitute to block Cleffa's status moves and then attack, but they must beware of Encore. Oran Berry users are also major problems for Cleffa as the item activates before hail's damage takes effect, which allows the users to KO Cleffa afterward. Other "counters" are generally less effective as they will have their HP lowered to 1, but otherwise it's a step forward to defeating Cleffa. Pokemon immune to hail, such as Snover and Swinub, are decent counters to Cleffa. Likewise, Pokemon immune to sandstorm can counter Cleffa, but to a lesser degree as most Cleffa users utilize Snover instead of Hippopotas. If you lack any of the mentioned counters, then the best option is to sacrifice your current Pokemon to take down Cleffa's Focus Sash and KO it with another Pokemon.</p>

the thing about endeavor is that, with the omnipresence of the Oran Berry, it really won't work like how the Lv. 2 Endeavor Clefable does.

the thing about endeavor is that, with the omnipresence of the Oran Berry, it really won't work like how the Lv. 2 Endeavor Clefable does.
I think "Pluck/Bug Bite" support should probably be mentioned in the Team Options section for this reason.

A rapid spinner may be effective as entry hazards can wreck this set
Entry hazards do NOT wreck this set--Cleffa has magic guard which prevents it from being damaged by them.

Why...?

Also: I believe you have completely neglected Hippopotas in this analysis.

I sincerely hope this is a work in progress... I don't think any of your sections even reach the one line character limit on the Smogon analysis pages.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, but I think I reserved Cleffa not too long ago lol...
Oh, sorry! I hadn't seen you post it and because I partially missed it thats why i reserved it on the 24th, assuming that you weren't working on it. My mistake...
I'm pretty sure Oran berry restores HP immediately after taking damage.
Yeah, I checked that, I'll make the changes

Entry hazards do NOT wreck this set--Cleffa has magic guard which prevents it from being damaged by them.
I know, that was a bs c/p from my google docs where I had 2 sets and mixed the typing up, I edited it last night
If someone wants to run an attacking move over Encore (just to fill in move options)
Also: I believe you have completely neglected Hippopotas in this analysis.
Yes, I have.

EDIT: Sorry for the claiming issue with Somalia, and thanks to him for letting me take it

I think you're being a little too hard on Cleffa on your overview. Cleffa's not that useless xD. I don't think it deserves to be put in the same boat as the likes of Caterpie and Magikarp as "Most Useless Pokemon in Little Cup".

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Your spammy sig distracted me xD

Well, it is very weak and dies to effectively everything, thus I went down on it calling it useless, I'll edit it.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just checking set. Name is odd, could be taken to mean it uses a weather move. Change to Endeavor or something. Why max attack with no physical attacks? Why careful with no defensive investment (lowering defensive stats is probably better, maybe go to level 1)? Twave as main option, I think. Mention Sand/Hail support more in Overview, it's really essential. Main use of Cleffa is being a near perfect revenge killer to almost every non ghost, main problem is that it only works once.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Why max attack with no physical attacks? Why careful with no defensive investment (lowering defensive stats is probably better, maybe go to level 1)?
Max attack for anyone who wants to run that optional attacking move instead as mentioned in optional changes.

Careful and Level's won't matter since it gets KO'd by every attacking move and thus having this nature and ev's won't affect its chances of focus sash activation

Definantly include the three ghost killers. Stunky, Munchy and Rat.
Also include that this works best against sweepers moreso than walls because of the prevalence of Oran berry.

Also correct me if I am wrong but isn't LC unlike the other tiers in that it has a set level and it can't be lower than that.

Maximum Speed would go a long way in improving this sets's potential. Even with a +ve nature seeing as you want to take max damage and as such don't need the defence. That was alot of slower things like Bronzor can be encored into moves they don't want to be encored into like Stealth Rock. That lets it do something other than just a one shot kill.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Maximum Speed would go a long way in improving this sets's potential. Even with a +ve nature seeing as you want to take max damage and as such don't need the defence. That was alot of slower things like Bronzor can be encored into moves they don't want to be encored into like Stealth Rock. That lets it do something other than just a one shot kill.
Maximum speed would mean that it won't be able to Endeavor after they attack

ah right. I would set your speed to 8. Then just be faster than relaxed bronzor. That leaves you way slower than basically everything anyway.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
<p>Cleffa is quite literally the most useless Pokémon in Little Cup, due to its generally weak stats.
Caterpie, Weedle, Wurmple, Burmy, Magikarp, and Kricketot would like a word with you.

Please change it to "one of the weakest Pokemon in Little Cup,"

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Max attack for anyone who wants to run that optional attacking move instead as mentioned in optional changes.

Careful and Level's won't matter since it gets KO'd by every attacking move and thus having this nature and ev's won't affect its chances of focus sash activation
EVs should be for the set you're writing about, not extra options. If the nature does not matter, put a neutral one not careful since it's kinda confusing to recommend a nature without reason. Or maybe + Speed - Atk with Speed Evs, go before some absurdly slow things (min bronzor, or something with macho brace tricked on perhaps) and lower confusion.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Enough speed to outrun bronzor and encore a support move, then trick a burn orb. Nothing else does this in lc, the fact that it sucks doesn't change the fact that it IS something unique.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
EVs should be for the set you're writing about, not extra options. If the nature does not matter, put a neutral one not careful since it's kinda confusing to recommend a nature without reason. Or maybe + Speed - Atk with Speed Evs, go before some absurdly slow things (min bronzor, or something with macho brace tricked on perhaps) and lower confusion.
Hasty seems good?

Some formatting errors and those Attack EVs don't belong there, but otherwise it looks good.
Thanks, I changed that.

Enough speed to outrun bronzor and encore a support move, then trick a burn orb. Nothing else does this in lc, the fact that it sucks doesn't change the fact that it IS something unique.
That is true

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)