Scizor (Uber Analysis) [GP 2/2]

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/212.shtml

----------------------------

[Overview]

<p>A staple of standard play, Scizor can perform its OU duties almost as well in the Uber tier. With superb typing, decent defenses, a huge base 130 Attack, the Technician ability, and an ever-useful physical movepool that contains a scouting move and strong priority, Scizor is one of the premier utility Pokemon. While the new metagame has introduced powerful threats such as Reshiram and Speed Boost Blaziken, Scizor has kept its niche and is still a force to be reckoned with. However, bear in mind that despite Scizor's power, its main aim is still to support the team, not to sweep by itself.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Pursuit
item: Choice Band
ability: Technician
nature: Adamant
evs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The tried-and-true Choice Band Scizor makes its return to the dangerous waters of the BW Uber metagame. With fantastic typing and decent defenses, Scizor can switch in multiple times in a match and shift the momentum in your favor. U-turn, Scizor's primary and most threatening attack, deals huge amounts of damage to those that don't resist it, and keeps the momentum on your side by allowing you a free switch to a check or counter. Bullet Punch allows Scizor to revenge kill a number of sweepers, including Darkrai, Shaymin-S, Salamence, Rayquaza, and Garchomp, although the latter two need to be locked into Outrage or substantially weakened. In the third moveslot, Superpower severely damages Steel-type switch-ins such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, Heatran, Dialga, and Steel Arceus. Pursuit rounds out the set, enabling Scizor to checkmate annoying threats such as Deoxys-A, Mewtwo, and Psychic Arceus that lack Will-O-Wisp or a Fire-type move.</p>

<p>The given EV spread allows Scizor to repeatedly switch into multitude of Dragon-type attacks that pervade the Uber tier and dent the opponent with its powerful U-turn. A more offensive spread of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe can be used to fully abuse Scizor's power, but the loss of longevity is very noticeable. Bug Bite can be used instead of U-turn for more power, but the latter's general utility is usually too good to give up. Brick Break can also replace Superpower if you find the stat drops unappealing, but Scizor will switching in and out a lot anyway, Superpower is generally the better choice.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Despite Scizor's power, it is one of the easiest Pokemon to counter. Reshiram and Ho-Oh can take any of its attacks and proceed to put huge dents into your team with their powerful STABs. Giratina, with its defenses dragging ad infinitum, laughs off anything Scizor does to it and can burn with Will-O-Wisp. Should it catch Scizor Choice-locked into Bullet Punch or Pursuit, Magnezone can trap the metallic bug and destroy it with a powerful STAB Thunder or Hidden Power Fire. Dialga and Heatran can also switch into everything bar Superpower and roast Scizor to a crisp with Flamethrower or Fire Blast. Kyogre is an excellent teammate for Scizor, as the torrential downpour Kyogre summons decreases Scizor's lone Fire-type weakness, and function as an excellent check to Ho-Oh and Giratina. In return, Scizor covers Kyogre's Grass-type weakness with a helpful 4x resist. Tyranitar can handle both Dialga and Heatran without much trouble and force them out easily; a Dialga of your own can also switch into Giratina and scare it out with the threat of a powerful Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>Scizor is also highly susceptible to entry hazards, as it switches in and out extremely often. Should Spikes and Stealth Rock be down, its U-turning ability will be vastly hindered. Therefore, a lead that prevents the setup of entry hazards is highly recommended when using Scizor. Anti-lead Ghost Arceus is an excellent example, as it can use Magic Coat to reflect any entry hazards. Choice Scarf Shaymin-S and Darkrai are also great options. Rapid Spinners minimize the damage Scizor takes from entry hazards, but Tentacruel is the only one that synergizes well with Scizor.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: U-turn / Bug Bite
move 2: Roost
move 3: Bullet Punch
move 4: Pursuit / Brick Break
item: Leftovers / Life Orb / Lum Berry
nature: Careful / Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the previous set utilizes Scizor's mighty Attack stat to gain momentum or revenge kill, this set aims to make Scizor more durable. Roost lets Scizor repeatedly switch into strong attacks such as Choice Scarf Palkia's Spacial Rend and comfortably Roost off the damage, while with U-turn, Scizor can easily steal the momentum from the opposing team, dealing considerable damage in the process. The combination of Bullet Punch and Pursuit lets Scizor checkmate many frail sweepers such as Mewtwo and Deoxys-A, although the former can avoid a KO if its health is full. Should they stay in, they face a KO from Bullet Punch, but if they switch out, they risk eating Pursuit. Brick Break is another option for super effective coverage on Steel-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set can also be used as a decent lead as Scizor deals heavy damage to frail leads such as Deoxys-S and Darkrai. In this case, Bug Bite and Lum Berry can be used for more power and to avoid sleep, respectively. In general, Scizor's choice of item and nature depend on its main use; if Scizor is the team's main Dragon-type resist, Leftovers should be used with a Careful nature to let Scizor better sponge strong Dragon-type attacks. Alternatively, Life Orb and an Adamant nature allow Scizor to be a better check to Darkrai and Shaymin-S. The power boost also allows Scizor to finish off Dragon-types locked into Outrage, such as Rayquaza and Salamence, more easily.</p>

<p>Again, Scizor finds itself walled by many Pokemon in the Uber metagame. A fine teammate, Tyranitar, can comfortably switch into Dialga, Heatran and Reshiram and proceed to maim them with Low Kick or Crunch. With some Speed investment, Tyranitar can outspeed Giratina and Taunt it, preventing Will-O-Wisp, then threaten Giratina with Crunch or Pursuit. A Dialga of your own also fares well against Giratina. Bulky Kyogre can switch into Ho-Oh, but watch out for Brave Bird, which will 2HKO.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Bug Bite / Superpower
move 4: Roost / Superpower
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Careful / Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With its massive base 130 Attack, as well as access to both a powerful priority move and Swords Dance, Scizor has all the tools it needs to sweep weakened teams. This variant of Scizor can continue to play its usual role as the team's key Dragon-type resist, but also has the capability to set up for a sweep at the right opportunity. Even with a Careful nature and the given EVs, Scizor reaches an impressive 620 Attack after a Swords Dance, which is more than enough to mop up weakened teams. Bullet Punch is Scizor's main attack, excellent for cleaning up opposing teams easily once its checks have been removed. Bug Bite is preferred in the third slot as it is a powerful STAB move, but Superpower can be used to deal heavy damage to Steel-types such as Dialga and Heatran as they switch in. Superpower may also threaten Skarmory, due to the fact that Scizor is slower and will hit the metal bird super effectively while it is Roosting. For the last slot, Roost is an excellent choice for Scizor's durability, and allows it to tank moderately powerful Dragon-type attacks such as Choice Scarf Palkia's Spacial Rend and serves to offset entry hazard damage as well. However, Superpower can also be used for full coverage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Again, Leftovers should be used with a Careful nature and Life Orb with an Adamant one, and the pair you select should hinge on what role you want Scizor to fulfil. If your team is highly dependent on Scizor's Dragon-type resistance, it is better to run the former pair to increase Scizor's longevity, but if Dragon-type attacks are less of a problem, an Adamant nature and Life Orb can be used to maximize Scizor's sweeping potential. Lum Berry is also an option to let Scizor avoid status. Another EV spread that can be used is 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with an Adamant nature, but the bulk lost is significant, and Scizor's main advantage is its decent bulk and great typing, which should always be prioritized over more attack power. Scizor has a few other moves at its disposal; Brick Break can be used in place of Superpower for its ability to break screens, as well as its consistency, although the power loss is huge. Quick Attack can be used if Scizor is running an Adamant nature and a Life Orb. However, other than OHKOing Reshiram after two Stealth Rock switch-ins, this move is quite useless.</p>

<p>The important thing to remember when using Swords Dance Scizor is that it should not be sent out to sweep straight away, because it will usually be countered. Scizor is first and foremost a team supporter, and should only attempt to sweep when the coast is clear. Pokemon who counter it are everywhere in the Uber metagame: Dialga, Heatran, Ho-Oh, Reshiram, Kyogre, Groudon, Giratina, Skarmory, Lugia and various Arceus formes can all completely wall Scizor. A Dialga of your own can easily deal with opposing Heatran and Giratina. It can also use Bulk Up to lure in Groudon and Skarmory, then obliterate them with Draco Meteor or Fire Blast, respectively. Darkrai and Dark Arceus can take on Lugia and Giratina, while Kyogre is excellent at checking Ho-Oh, Heatran, and Reshiram.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Scizor has access to Baton Pass and can pass boosts such as Swords Dance and Agility, but Mew and Shell Smash passers such as Gorebyss usually outclass it in that role. Night Slash can be used to deal more damage to Giratina-O, but Scizor will usually still lose to it. Scizor can also hold an Iron Plate to power up Bullet Punch and bluff a Choice Band while retaining the freedom to switch moves and avoid residual damage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Scizor has so many counters they are almost beyond counting. Giratina is possibly Scizor's greatest counter; with its gargantuan physical Defense, it can take anything Scizor throws at it and burn the metal bug with Will-O-Wisp. Next in line is Ho-Oh; taking virtually nothing from Bug Bite, U-turn or Bullet Punch, it can set up a Substitute in Scizor's face and proceed to roast it with Sacred Fire. Similarly, Reshiram can just use its overpowered Blue Flare to decimate Scizor. Steel-types such as Dialga, Steel Arceus, Magnezone, Heatran, Skarmory, and Forretress comfortably switch into anything apart from Choice Band- or Swords Dance-boosted Superpower; in fact, the latter two won't even mind Superpower. Magnezone is especially dangerous as it can trap with its Magnet Pull Scizor and KO easily, eliminating any comeback chances. Lugia can use a combination of Reflect, Roost and Whirlwind to ward off Scizor. Groudon and Zekrom will not mind taking attacks from Scizor either, provided that they are decently healthy, and deal a lot of damage in return with their powerful STABs.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Scizor gets a mixed bag of treats when it comes to other Pokemon that currently have unreleased abilities and items. On one hand, it can effectively checkmate Latias and Latios, which could pave way for Kyogre, Manaphy, and Fighting Arceus to sweep with some of their greatest counters removed, but on the other hand, Dream World brings Shadow Tag Chandelure, who resists all of Scizor's most common moves and can trap and OHKO with its Fire STAB.</p>

Sorry for not getting to this sooner, midterms got in the way. Now open for comments and stuff.

Please look at the other threads in this forum to see what else is required of you for this thing. You need a sprite, a link to a Scizor Pokedex page, [Team Options], [Optional Changes], [Counters], and [Dream World] sections.

Also, the "Bulky Scizor" set should be renamed to "Specially Defensive", but that is a content suggestion.

Yeah, I finished that stuff now, I just had to post my stuff to save it before heading to lunch.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
judging by the PR poll, there will almost definitely be an initial banlist in gen 5. however, this analysis is geared toward an uber metagame, meaning that it must be touched up severely in order to fit in with the current metagame. note that the banlist hasn't been passed yet, but it is extremely likely to the point where there is practically guarenteed to be some form of an initial banlist, so you might want to start "de-ubering" this analysis soon.

just a heads-up.

Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but wouldn't Double Hit be a good move to put on the Choice Band set? Though DH seems an odd pick at first you must consider this.

Choice Scizor's Attack: 591
DH Power: 35(2)+35(2)=140
Total Power of CB Scizor using DH: 731

The only reason this move is interesting is the fact that Scizor's Technician ability will raise it's Base Power to a whopping 140.

Anyways, it would make for a very good fourth spot as Pursuit really sees little use.

Actually, Pursuit is one of the best reasons to use Scizor, for one thing: it traps frail ghosts like Gengar and Mismagius.

Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but wouldn't Double Hit be a good move to put on the Choice Band set? Though DH seems an odd pick at first you must consider this.

Choice Scizor's Attack: 591
DH Power: 35(2)+35(2)=140
Total Power of CB Scizor using DH: 731

The only reason this move is interesting is the fact that Scizor's Technician ability will raise it's Base Power to a whopping 140.

Anyways, it would make for a very good fourth spot as Pursuit really sees little use.
Technician is a 1.5 boost. Ergo,
DH Power: 35(1.5)+35(1.5)=105

It's not really worth it. It's good on Ambipom because of STAB.

I knew there had to be a mistake somewhere. However, I just thought it would be notable as the only Ghosts that you would be looking for in OU are Rotom, Gengar and Shandera. The last of those being the only true threat to Scizor.

I knew there had to be a mistake somewhere. However, I just thought it would be notable as the only Ghosts that you would be looking for in OU are Rotom, Gengar and Shandera. The last of those being the only true threat to Scizor.
This is an Ubers analysis.

Rotom isn't a Ghost anymore.

Giratina-O is the main Ubers ghost anyway.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Toxic should definitely be mentioned on the Specially Defensive set.

I've used it to great success in 4th gen Ubers. With Toxic and Roost, Scizor serves as an excellent check to any Lugia without Rest, able to outstall Giratina-O (in the rain) as HP Fire is doing less than 40%, scarfed Garchomp, Groudon without any attack EVs, and last Pokémon Blissey and Chansey that lacks Heal Bell/Aromatherapy.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This analysis is up for grabs now. I vmed mtr and he said he no longer wishes to work on it, so first come first serve...

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Could I take it over ?? I'll be glad to contribute to the site in any capacity.

EDIT: I'll start working on it once I get a confirmation and put up a placeholder

Kyogre is an option to help Scizor check threats like HP Fire Latias, HP Fire Giratina-O, and (the rare) Flamethrower Mewtwo, but boosting Water-type attacks is a concern in dealing with Palkia.
A minor nitpick, but fire attacks are the standard on Mewtwo, Fire Blast in particular. It still OHKOs 248/200 Careful Scizor in rain assuming Timid LO.

shrang said:
If Stealth Rock is off the field, Ho-oh is an excellent Scizor counter.
Even when Stealth Rock is in the field, Ho-Oh can still comfortably wall Scizor since the phoenix resists everything but Pursuit. Ho-Oh only hates U-turn when Stealth Rock is out because Scizor can U-turn to a Ho-Oh counter such as Kyogre while Ho-Oh is force to switch and swallow another 50% of it's health.

To take advantage of Scizor dealing with Pokemon such as Latias, Latios, and Mewtwo, it's recommended to use a sweeper like SD Garchomp that enjoys them being gone.
Latias and Latios are extremely rare in Ubers without Soul Dew, and Haban Berry Garchomp can survive a Draco Meteor from non Specs Latios. Mewtwo has Fire Blast so it easily fries Scizor to death. Scizor can only deal with Mewtwo if it lacks a Fire attack or Will-O-Wisp for Stalltwo. Since Fire Blast is a staple for Mewtwo offensive sets, I don't think Scizor can check Mewtwo at all. Scizor can revenge kill a weaken Mewtwo with Bullet Punch though so I guess that counts as a check.

You missed out some counters. I will list them out here.

If Stealth Rock is off the field, Ho-oh can come in on Scizor all day, and retreat easily thanks to Regeneration.
Regeneration Ho-Oh is unreleased so you should drop that. Even if Stealth Rock is on the field, Ho-Oh can just wall Scizor.

Dialga is an excellent check on Scizor if it avoids Superpower.
Uhm, I don't think Superpower can OHKO Dialga even if Scizor is holding a Choice Band while Fire Blast will OHKO Scizor easily. Even if Max HP Dialga comes in on Superpower, it can still force Scizor out or OHKO it outright. I am not sure how to change it but Dialga can easily survive a Superpower.

Lugia laughs at anything Scizor can do and Whirlwind it out. Lugia can even OHKO Scizor with Weather Ball if the weather is sunny. U-turn will not do enough to Lugia who can just Reflect and Roost off the damage.

Reshiram can swallow any attack and easily fry Scizor with Blue Fire. Even in the rain, Scizor is OHKOed.

Groudon has huge physical defense to easily squander all of Scizor attacks. A simple Fire Punch / Overheat will OHKO poor Scizor or 2HKO with Earthquake.

Zekrom can take any attack with its high Defense stat and resistance to Bullet Punch. Lightning Strike will deal insane damage to Scizor.

Fire Arceus just takes little damage from everything Scizor has. Judgment or any Fire attack will roast Scizor.

Steel Arceus resists Scizor' STABs while Superpower cannot KO Steel Arceus who can just Recover off the damage while Scizor is doing less damage every turn. Steel Arceus can even burn Scizor.

Kyogre is bulky enough to take anything while a double STAB Water attack will drown Scizor.

Giratina-O should be mentioned too. It still has huge bulk and can eliminate Scizor with Hidden Power Fire or cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. If the weather is rainy the tables are turned but Scizor still needs Roost in order to beat Giratina-O.

Ghost Arceus resists U-turn, has enough bulk to take other attacks while Flamethrower will OHKO Scizor.

Skarmory can take any attack. Set up Spikes and blow Scizor out. Forretress can set up on Scizor but Swords Dance Scizor can set up on Forretress as well.

For the Dream World section, mention Shandera as a major threat to Scizor because it can easily trap Scizor and OHKO with a Fire attack while resisting Scizor's STABs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)