B&W Research Thread

A couple thoughts crossed my mind that I haven't seen answered here, so here goes.

If something consumes a White Herb in battle to negate a stat drop, and then uses Return, is the base power instantly dropped from the "friendship-lowering" effect of the White Herb, or does this drop occur after the battle?

Are the moves Thunder, Blizzard, and Gale always 100% accurate in their respective weather conditions, regardless of Accuracy/Evasion increases/drops? For example, if I used Sand Attack on Abomasnow during its hailstorm, would Blizzard still have 100% accuracy, thus making the Sand Attack irrelevant, or did the Accuracy drop take some precedence over hail? I ask because I know about the mechanics of Thunder/Blizzard in the early DP games, where there was just a 30% additive increase in accuracy added to these moves, thus allowing the 30% chance of breaking through Protect/Detect - almost glitch-like in quality.

Just a couple thoughts I had.

Thunder is an exact variation of Gale, so it should have swift like accuracy.

Edit:
Incidentally, does Encourage boost all moves whose secondary effects are prevented with Shield Dust, such as Fake Out?
The chance of an effect is still there, it just is negated if it would happen. I think someone in the encourage thread proved this, and if I find it, I'll have the link.
Edit: Or in a thread that has a pokemon with encourage. I swear I saw this proved somewhere.

Perish Song: how are the turns counted down for inactive Pokemon?
While a Pokemon is inactive, the Perish Song counter for it will freeze temporarily. Until the Pokemon actually switches out, the counter will continue to decrease at the end of each turn the Pokemon is active.

Thanks to Shii for helping me test this.

Not sure if this is already known but posting incase it isn't. So I tested if Unaware works on evasion (it says it only works on attack/defenses on site). I attacked with my Unaware bat thing to Emonga with +6 Evasion. I used 2 times Acrobat and 3 times Gust and they always hit. I also hit Emonga with my Urugamosu and it missed Bug buzz 2 times and hit 1 time with it. Conclusion is that Unaware ignores also opponents Evasion boosts.
I also tested if it negates only positive boost or also negative boosts. I screeched my Urugamosu 3 times and after that Acrobat did 8 damage. When it had no defense boosts it did also 8 damage. So it seems Unaware also ignores negative boosts. I tested these in wild double battles in Pokemon Black on DS and game is not-modified in any way.

breh

強いだね
Soak/Submersion: Does the effect stay, even after switching out?

Similarly, what about conversion/2?

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
coyotte508 said:
What is the order of the targets for multi target attacks?

From what I saw it's ennemy first slot, ennemy second slot, ennemy third slot and then partner. Speed isn't relevant. To get the real order you can use super effective / not very effective attacks so the message display for all pokemon and you can deduce the order (because you see the animation on both foes at the same time). This needs to be confirmed...
Tested ingame using a Muurando and a Hiyakki. Surf hit Muurando first, then the 2 opposing Pokemon. Its not based on speed however, because one of the opposing Pokemon still moved beore Muurando, while both Muurando and the the opposing Pokemon used priority 0 moves.

Soak/Submersion: Does the effect stay, even after switching out?

Similarly, what about conversion/2?
People have said if you use submersion on the opponent, say on a steel type, poison it and have it switch out it suffers the effects of the poisoning when it becomes a steel type again And conversion/2 have never kept a type upon switching out before.

Just want a quick verification on Competitive Spirit since I couldn't find this specific detail being mentioned.

The attack boosts do they apply to stat losses through status such as attack down from burn or speed down from paralyze?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just want a quick verification on Competitive Spirit since I couldn't find this specific detail being mentioned.

The attack boosts do they apply to stat losses through status such as attack down from burn or speed down from paralyze?
The stat drops from burn\paralyze are not the same kind of stat drops inflicted by moves such as Leer or Scary Face. So no.

I have a quick question. On pokemon online, when someone paralyzed me with thunder wave, it dropped my Azumarill's speed down to 37. I usually have like 150 speed, so have the mechanics for paralysis changed, or is this just a po glitch?

Paralysis lowers your speed to 25 % of the original value.
150 / 4 = 37.5, Pokemon games round down. So 150 speed should become 37 speed when you're paralyzed. No glitch there.

Edit: Hellz yeah, ninja'd 3 people! :>

By the way, do we know the exact effect of Frozen World by now?
By how many stages does it lower the opponents speed, and does it have a chance to freeze?

I have a quick question. On pokemon online, when someone paralyzed me with thunder wave, it dropped my Azumarill's speed down to 37. I usually have like 150 speed, so have the mechanics for paralysis changed, or is this just a po glitch?
Paralysis cuts Speed down to one quarter. 150/4=37.5, which rounds down to 37. It seems like it's fine to me.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
...paralysis has ALWAYS dropped Speed by 1\4. Since Red, Blue and Yellow came out.

Paralysis has always dropped Speed to 25% original, and 37 is 25% of 150 rounded down. So it's neither.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Badly. Oh so badly.

...paralysis has ALWAYS dropped Speed by 1\4. Since Red, Blue and Yellow came out.
So it drop by 3/4s, not 1/4 or 1/2? Strange, I never knew that.

PS: I bet this probably has been asked before, but what about a Rotom-Fan holding a balloon? Would gravity do anything? Or knock down? Would a ground type move attacking a Roton-Fan create a time paradox that would send you into the Distortion World? It would be cool if Gamfreak put in an easter egg for that. Can someone test my theory?

I love how 4 people responded to my question within 2 minutes of each other.

PS: I bet this probably has been asked before, but what about a Rotom-Fan holding a balloon? Would gravity do anything? Or knock down? Would a ground type move attacking a Roton-Fan create a time paradox that would send you into the Distortion World? It would be cool if Gamfreak put in an easter egg for that. Can someone test my theory
I heard that it shoots into space if you Baton Pass a Magnet Rise to it while it's holding a Baloon. And that all its stats are raised to +6. And it gets a Ninja Sword.

People, I really need to know that:
RotatingAtom said:
By the way, do we know the exact effect of Frozen World by now?
By how many stages does it lower the opponents speed, and does it have a chance to freeze?

Frozen World has no chance to freeze (after 96 tests, 0 freezes), lowers speed by one stage (stopped lowering after 6 lowerings), and in doubles and triples targets all adjacent opponents, like Rock Slide. That appears to be its entire effect. It seems it IS just a buffed Icy Wind.

So including Genosekuto and Techno Buster, that's two things that got gimped in the signature moves department.

That makes me want to cry. Freeze Bolt and Cold Flare are charge moves, Frozen World is Icy Wind with 10 (!) more base power, and he doesn't get a good Fighting move (no, Focus Blast is not good). Maybe it will all change in Grey, who knows.
Yeah, but offensive STAB'd Ice, and a SpA stat to use it.

I'm all out of ideas on why it has a different effect chance. I can find absolutely nothing else that it does. Anyone with any ideas should VM me, though be warned I've probably tested it already.

Does Wide Guard block non-damaging attacks that multi-target(Such as Teeter Dance)?

Perish Song should probably be treated separately regarding Wide Guard since it's unique in that it can go through Protect anyway.

Does Wide Guard block non-damaging attacks that multi-target(Such as Teeter Dance)?

Perish Song should probably be treated separately regarding Wide Guard since it's unique in that it can go through Protect anyway.
Yes. Dark Void is blocked, as is Teeter Dance. I have not tested Perish Song, though I'm fairly certain it's one of those exceptions to game rules in the vein of (for example) Screech hitting Ghost-types.

Smeargle.
Can have BODY PURGE + BATON PASS.
Body Purge (Steel move): Weight gets cut (half); Speed gets a sharp increase

Question #1: Can the speed boost from BODY PURGE be Baton Pass'd ?
Question #2: Can the weight reduction be Baton Pass'd ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)