Chandelure (Analysis)

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus

Shandera
==================================
==================================

[Overview]
<p>Shandera the chandelier is the first of its kind in terms of typing of Fire and Ghost. Its low speed makes it vulnerable to revenge killing, though it can succesfully pull of several different kinds of roles, as we will explore below.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Energy Ball
move 2: Fire Blast/Overheat
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Set Comments
<p>To add to Shandera's already high Special Attack, the Choice Specs along with the Special Attack EVs make it a very strong Special Attacker and can sweep almost anything. Fire Blast along with Shadow Ball are two highly powerful attacks that will be very effective in countering several threats. Energy Ball is also is very effective in countering the Water type Pokémon that can be a major threat to Shandera which may be countered by Energy Ball. Hidden Power fighting also adds to the type coverage. This can revenge kill many below 100 Base speed Pokémon. Flash Fire will help it a lot to sweep as then it will almost become unstoppable after that. </p>

Additional Comments
<p>Flamethrower adds a highly good fire type STAB attack, this can hit really hard and this could be used in replacement for Overheat or Fire Blast, but the latter two are much more effective and thus are recommended over Flamethrower. Max Speed and Special Attack to enhance sweeping prowess. Weakness to all 3 Layers is horrible, therefore you must be very cautious when switching Shandera in. Shandera enjoys Water Pokemon out, so Grass types like Birijion, Jaroda, and Nattorei are good teammates, the latter can also set Layers so Shandera KOs much more easily. A Rapid Spinner is really useful since Shandera is very weak to the layers and thus a rapid spinner can make Shandera's job easier as it won't loose large amounts of HP to the layers. Walls such as Blissey and Snorlax will absolutely check Shandera, thus a fighting type such as Machamp will be highly appreciated.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Substitute/Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Fire Blast/Flamethrower
item: Life Orb
ability: Flash Fire
evs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe

Set Comments
<p> This set uses Shandera's high Special Attack to increase its power by Calm Mind and then sweep. This set is one of the most effective ones for Shandera as it can fulfill this role completely. Fire Blast coupled with Shadow Ball gives quite good type coverage. If Substitute is set up on a switch, then it allows Shandera to get a couple of Calm Minds at the least, which will boost Shandera's already high base 145 Special Attack stats to even higher. This will ensure a nice sweep to a couple of Pokémon at the least. Shandera's type makes it unique since, not many Pokémon carry moves that can kill a Ghost/Fire type, especially if it is relatively bulky as it is, this will cause opponents to switch, allowing you to set up Substitute and then Calm Mind. </p>

Additional Comments

<p>The EV spread allows it to take on a highly offensive role, boosting its base 145 Special Attack and making it a severe threat as it is. The Speed EVs help it complete its role as a sweeper. Hidden Power Ground can be an option to further increase type coverage and help it sweep a wider range of Pokémon. A stall team that needs a wall breaker will benefit from Shandera's presence. Good teammates will include Nattorei, Skarmory and Forretress. A strong Ground, Water, Dark or Ghost move will hurt Shandera, so Heatran, Tyranitar, Empoleon, Sazandora, and Futachimaru can take it on well. Hidden Power Fighting could be an option for this set to hit Heatran, Sazandora, Tyranitar and other Pokémon that may be threats to Shandera which can be taken care off by their weakness to fighting. </p>

[Team Options]
<p> Water counters such as Jaroda can be useful to Shandera in taking on its weakness to water types. Fire attack baits- Fire Weak Pokémon such as Skarmory or Nattorei are useful to help Shandera get that highly effective Flash Fire boost.
Ninetales is a highly useful partner for Shandera, especially the Choice Specs set. Shandera has a huge advantage over other choice banded or choice spec'ed fire wallbreakers is the lack of recoil and immunties to Fighting and Fire types, so that if you can get entry hazards out of there, you can potentially switch Shandera multiple times and keep firing off its STAB.Ninetales complements this very well, allowing Shandera to OHKO stuff like Garchomp and Gyarados with Overheat after SR and 2HKO physically defensive Pokémon after entry hazards such as Spikes and Stealth Rock have been set up.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Toxic over Will-o-Wisp is an option along with always, replacing Flamethrower with Fire Blast. For the support set, it is possible to use a Special Defensive spread rather than a Defensive one. </p>

[Counters]
<p>Water types are absolute threats to Shandera along with good walls such as Blissey and Snorlax. Its type weakness' don't help it either. Though Dragon types such as Garchomp may be a threat, Will-o-Wisp will ruin them. </p>

[Dream World]
<p> Shadow Tag, makes it the perfect Set Up Pokemon and revenge killer. It can come in on a variety of things and start setting up with little to no problems, to then get a Substitute up and easily dispatch another Pokemon. Shadow Tag is the superior option on every Shandera set, as the Choice sets love to revenge kill things with no problem, the Calm Mind set is extremely dangerous once it gets enough boosts, and the Support set enjoys burning stuff that would like to switch out of Shandera.</p>

<p> For the Choice set, Shandera will now easily be able to revenge kill Pokémon such as Scizor and Gengar. Shadow Tag eliminates every single aspect of "Prediction" from Shandera, as now it doesnt have to be worried of facing a Water type or Blissey to stop its fun. This one is monstruous for the Calm Mind set, as it will get in on things like Nattorei, Forretress, locked Fighting / Normal / Fire / Grass / Electric / Bug type attacks and start Calm Minding up until it gets +6 and possibly a Substitute up. Not only it can get full set up on those and OHKO them, but it will also beat basically everything slower than it, since at +6 resistances to its moves barely do anything. Faster things can revenge kill Shandera easily, a fast Earthquake or Stone Edge will still dispatch it, but if it has a Substitute they will lose too. Also with the boosts it will basically be impossible to revenge kill with Special moves, so be sure to carry a fast Super Effective Physical move. </p>

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There is no "Teammates and Counter" in a formal analysis. This is the correct format.

[SET]
name:
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
ability:
evs:
nature:

[Set Comments]
<p>Text</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Text. Includes Teammates and Counters</p>

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think I'm done. Comments and Suggestions are welcome. If a QC member wants to run through it, please do so.

Some minor mistakes:- Below is the edited version simply C/P
[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Substitute / Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
item: Life Orb
ability: Flash Fire
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Insert spaces for the other sets also.

Also for the support set, I don't see any advantage of running Protect over Shadow Ball. Maybe Slash it with Protect, you can choose whether to make it the primary or secondary slash.

Awesome analysis.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overheat and Fire Blast need to be options on the Choice sets.

I think a 4 attack + Life Orb set could also work, it was my personal favorite set to use on wifi. I never really got any chances to use Calm Mind when I was on wifi due to lack of Shadow Tag. I used Fire Blast/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/HP Fighting

Has anyone actually tested the Support set? It really doesn't look like there's any point to it, especially when Heatran is actually capable of pulling the set off. Shanderaa doesn't have the defensive stats or typing to pull a set like that off without Shadow Tag. I think Will-O-Wisp should just go into other options instead of devoting a whole set to it.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overheat and Fire Blast need to be options on the Choice sets.

I think a 4 attack + Life Orb set could also work, it was my personal favorite set to use on wifi. I never really got any chances to use Calm Mind when I was on wifi due to lack of Shadow Tag. I used Fire Blast/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/HP Fighting

Has anyone actually tested the Support set? It really doesn't look like there's any point to it, especially when Heatran is actually capable of pulling the set off. Shanderaa doesn't have the defensive stats or typing to pull a set like that off without Shadow Tag. I think Will-O-Wisp should just go into other options instead of devoting a whole set to it.
About the LO set, I could do it but I don't see it as being better than the two attacking ones mentioned.

About the support set, yes, I tested it, its not a very very good set, but it can pull it off time to time, even though Heatran does it way better. The stats are low, but it still does pull it off, even if it gets outclassed. I can remove it if a QC member wishes.

Maybe you can consider a Nitro charge set with either balloon or life orb? I've used it before and +1 speed is extrememly beneficial to shandera without being locked in to something and revenged by scarf tar.

Don't really see how this could be called done without a proper overview - it's purpose is to give us a general idea of a pokemon's role and how it performs without the need to read the whole analysis. Your overview tells us nothing except to read the analysis.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure how significant this is, but Fire Blast allows you to beat most variants of Chansey (I believe that are bold, and go 252 HP/ 252 DEF), through Substituting, and Calm Minding on Chansey, while Flamethrower allows Chansey to softboil itself back to full health (Deals 49% max I believe).

I really think that you need to go into more detail about each set. You've written nearly nothing on each, and it doesn't really stand up when compared to other completed analyses already on the site or in this subforum.

The ability is missing on the Choice set; add it there(Shadow Tag/Flash Fire). You desperately need to expand your Overview and Counters section as well.

Remove Futachimaru from the Additonal Comments section of the first set; unless it is a bulky Evo. Stone set , it is not "taking on Shandera wel"l anytime.On the bulky support set, consider adding Calm Mind instead of Protect; you are also boosting your Spl Def in addition to Spl. Atk, making Shandera all the more difficult to take down.

Good luck on your analysis. You need to expand all your descriptions a little bit more, and have some flavour in your writing. Some grammatical errors as well; take care of the mentioned problems, and you will have a great analysis in your hands.

I'm skeptical on the support set, I don't see that much use in using it. Its slow, its coverage is poor, no reliable form of recovery (pain split is ok), poor defensive typing (including sr weakness), and only has 60/90/90 defenses. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

For the Calm Mind set, HP Fighting can probably get an AC mention for hitting Tyranitar for 4x as well as still being able to hit heatran, Sazandora etc.

For the choice set, the main slashes should go Fire Blast / Overheat with flamethrower in AC. Accuracy is nice, but Shandera really likes the power boost which is definitely noticeable.

Ive been running a Sub Split set on this thing and it works really great.

Shanderra@Life Orb / Leftovers
6 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split / Hidden Power Fighting

Makes a mockery of Blissey and most other counters really. Great with Spikes/TSpikes support and people often sac a poke just to break the things Sub. Also checks Roobushin rather well as LO Fire Blast does a HELL of alot often KOing with SR + one layer of Spikes. Also gets a a free Sub on crap like Nattorie and Forry lol. The power level is really noticeable over Sub Split Gengar too.

The only things that really causes issues are Heatran and Tyranitar, hence HP Fights slash. I still prefer Pain Split + LO though.

Dunno if this warrants mention, but its definitely a deadly set.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm skeptical on the support set, I don't see that much use in using it. Its slow, its coverage is poor, no reliable form of recovery (pain split is ok), poor defensive typing (including sr weakness), and only has 60/90/90 defenses. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

For the Calm Mind set, HP Fighting can probably get an AC mention for hitting Tyranitar for 4x as well as still being able to hit heatran, Sazandora etc.

For the choice set, the main slashes should go Fire Blast / Overheat with flamethrower in AC. Accuracy is nice, but Shandera really likes the power boost which is definitely noticeable.
I removed the Support set, added changes and changed more stuff around as others suggested

Maybe you can consider a Nitro charge set with either balloon or life orb? I've used it before and +1 speed is extrememly beneficial to shandera without being locked in to something and revenged by scarf tar.
I second this. A Nitro Charge set is very effective partnered with the (yet to be released) Shadow Tag ability. Trapping a Pokemon who can do nothing to Shandera and setting up some speed boosts can turn into a deadly sweep.

Especially considering Shandera is immune to the most common priority moves like Mach Punch, resists Bullet Punch, and is only weak to the rare Sucker Punch.

I second this. A Nitro Charge set is very effective partnered with the (yet to be released) Shadow Tag ability. Trapping a Pokemon who can do nothing to Shandera and setting up some speed boosts can turn into a deadly sweep.

Especially considering Shandera is immune to the most common priority moves like Mach Punch, resists Bullet Punch, and is only weak to the rare Sucker Punch.
Third this. Shandera is actually immune or resistant to every priority attacking move but Aqua Jet, Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak, Aqua Jet being the only commonly seen one. Taking this into account, a Nitro Charge + SubPetaya set seems viable. Maybe a set like this:

[SET]
name: Nitro Charge SubPetaya
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Nitro Charge
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
item: Petaya Berry
ability: Flash Fire/Shadow Tag
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 31 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Switch in on an immunity, Nitro Charge on the switch, Sub till you get the boost. 30 HP IVs mean it gets a Petaya boost after 3 Substitutes, reaching 582 SpA, along with 424 Spe after Nitro Charge. It can then attempt a sweep, with Shadow Ball as it's main STAB, and HP Fighting hitting counters such as Tyranitar, Heatran and Sazandora hard. Such a shame it doesn't get Focus Blast though...

Nitro Charge with Balloon doesn't seem as viable... another immunity is great, but it lacks the power to take on it's counters, as well as the safety net of Substitute.

Well, since this has been necrobumped...

Ninetales should definitely be considered for a partner, especially with regard to the Choice Specs set. Chandelure's main advantages over other Band/Specs super Fire wallbreakers like Darmanitan and Charizard are the lack of recoil and decent immunities in Fire and Fighting, so that if you can get entry hazards out of there, you can potentially switch Chandelure in multiple times and keep firing off its STAB. Ninetales complements this very well, allowing Chandelure to OHKO stuff like Garchomp and Gyarados with Overheat after SR and 2HKO physically defensive Jellicent, Blissey and Chansey after SR+Spikes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)