Aron (Analysis)

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Aron

[Overview]
  • Head smash + Rock Head.
  • Rock Polish.
  • Cool typing, though no longer the best offensive steel in LC thanks to Komotana, it remains a threatening sweeper
  • Bulkyish.
[Set]
Rock Polish
Move 1: Rock Polish
Move 2: Head Smash
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Magnet Rise/Substitute
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Item: Life Orb/Balloon/Berry Juice
EVs: 36 HP/196 Att/36 Def/196 Spe/36 SpD

Set Description
  • Base 225 Power attack with 26/24 speed wrecks
  • EQ hits steels SE, while subs lets you beat stuff that can outspeed you (at +2) if you sub on the switch, like moguryuu and monmen (monmen can’t break your subs, even though it can encore you. Being locked into subs is less dangerous than rock polish).
  • Magnet rise dodges EQ
  • Jolly is needed because a decent amt of scarfers hang around 24-25 speed, but if you want the power adamant is usable.
  • Life orb for power, balloon lets it set up a lot easier and check moguryuu, among other things, while BJ lets you switch in multiple times during the battle if needed.
  • Evs max speed and attack, and then get the most possible out of the remainder.
Additional Comments
  • A set with the 3 support moves and head smash can work as sort of a utility set, setting up whatever move you need first; if they have a scarf Gligar set up magnet rise first; a monmen would mean a sub first.
  • Superpower is an alternative option to score SE hits on steels, but is usually a worse option as it lowers aron's attack.
Team Options
  • Magnemite traps and kills bronzor, and can eliminate tesshiido with HP fire as well, both are hard counters.
  • Ghosts or Wynaut can help, as Aron attracts Mach Punches/Vacuum Waves/Close Combats like a magnet. Gligar also works but needs to worry about switching into an ice punch. Pururiru deserves mention as it can absorb any attack commonly thrown at Aron, with immunities to two of its weaknesses and the ability to shrug off most earthquakes.
  • Hippopotas can set up sandstorm, boosting Aron’s special defense as well as providing stealth rock support.
  • Because they share similar counters, Gligar and Moguryuu can be effectie partners, with all 3 weakening the opponent’s defenses to the point where one can finish off a sweep. Additionally, all three benefit from sandstorm being active.
  • Diglett can be used to take out Croagunk with either substitute or prediction. However, it has issues switching on on anything besides sucker punch. A ghost type with a move to block sucker punch (subs, hypnosis, wisp) is useful for the same reason.
Other Options
  • Iron Head/Heavy Bomber can be used for steel STAB, but it doesn’t hit much, if anything that rock/ground doesn’t cover. Free flinch chance is nice, as well as 100% accurate STAB.
  • A set with a Passho berry along with sandstorm support could be used as a lure for water types.
  • A choice band set could work, but it’senerally outclassed by life orb. Aron actually has enough bulk where it might apprieciate the saved HP, but the lack of ability to checnge moves really hurts.
  • It gets stealth rock, so a sturdy lead is somewhat viable. It has the ability to hit hard, something shieldon can’t do as well. It has metal burst to go along with sturdy for an effective antilead.
  • As it has decent bulk, an evolution stone can be used in place of berry juice to help it survive priority attacks better; it still isn’t surviving any mach punches or vacuum waves though.
  • Body Purge is just like Rock Polish except it lowers your weight by half, making low kick and grass knot do less damage, as well as heavy bomber.
  • HP Fire/Ice can be used to hit both Tesshiido or Gligar respectively for the ohko, however you need a life orb to get the ohko. You should use a naive/hasty nature when using a hidden power, as well as shift the SpD evs to SpA.
  • A chople berry can be used to survive Croagunk's Vacuum Wave.
  • Claw Sharpen can be used to raise Aron's attack and give Head Smash perfect accuracy, but Aron has serious issues getting a second turn to set up (after Rock Polish).
Counters

• Croagunk or Dokkora can switch in on anything and ohko with priority. Scarf Machop switches in on anything and ohkoes with Dynamicpunch while aron can’t ohko it, same with scarf mankey.
  • Hippopotas, Phanpy, Moguryuu, and Bronzor can all switch in on Head Smash and threaten to ohko with Earthquake if Aron doesn’t have a balloon or magnet rise set set up. Additionally, Gligar can switch in on anything but a choice band head smash or hidden power ice and OHKO with earthquake.
First one I've written is done.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Looks fine. A few things at first glance:

-Don't slash Sub over EQ. Take out Superpower (mention it in AC) and slash it there.
-Please please please don't mention Hidden Power in AC. Aron really needs that last slot in Gen V. Put it in AC (imo it doesn't even deserve a mention).
-Put a bit more in your Overview, actually explain what those things do, please.

Otherwise, this looks fine. Good job.
-Chople in OC. iirc Aron can actually survive a Gunk's VWave with it.
-Mention Diglett in TO for taking out Gunk.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Um, dude, I already claimed Aron. :0 Thanks for reading the other posts in that thread.
shit. umm... do you care, or do you want to steal what i wrote, or start from scratch? if it's an issue i'll take it down.

Looks fine. A few things at first glance:

-Don't slash Sub over EQ. Take out Superpower (mention it in AC) and slash it there.
-Please please please don't mention Hidden Power in AC. Aron really needs that last slot in Gen V. Put it in AC (imo it doesn't even deserve a mention).
-Put a bit more in your Overview, actually explain what those things do, please.

Otherwise, this looks fine. Good job.
-Chople in OC. iirc Aron can actually survive a Gunk's VWave with it.
-Mention Diglett in TO for taking out Gunk.
Slash placement - I've successfully run a Head Smash/Magnet Rise/Rock Polish/Subs set before, so that was the motivation for my slashiness.

Hidden Power - Ohkoing two pokemon who give it problems otherwise seems pretty significant to me, especially since it doesn't lose any useful stat points (a Def or SpD point... or hp if you really wanted to). However, moving it to OC.

Overview is gonna include more, I was just kind of throwing stuff on there. But yeah, it could look like an issue, so I'll add some stuff.

And I made the suggested changes.

I kind of had some stuff written already. :0 RP set is more of the same, but I also listed CB and Sturdy lead sets. I guess I can deal with it, but as far as I know, Smogon doesn't recognize co-author credit, which kind of sucks. :\ Anyway, here's the stuff that I had, aside from the token RP set:

[Set]
Choice Bander
Aron @ Choice Band
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpDef / 36 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Ability: Rock Head
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Double-Edge / Shadow Claw / Iron Head

• Used for hole-punching rather than sweeping, but effective for the same reasons (huge Defense stat + many resistances, awesome STAB in Head Smash, etc)
  • CB STAB Head Smash hits like a freight train
  • Superpower is best option against Bronzor
  • Double-Edge for neutral coverage and Rock Head abuse
  • Shadow Claw can hit Missy and other Ghosts
  • Iron Head secondary STAB possibility, but inferior compared to its other options in terms of power and coverage
[Set]
Offensive Lead
Aron @ Berry Juice / Focus Sash
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpDef / 196 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) / Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Ability: Sturdy / Rock Head
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Rock Slide / Iron Head / Head Smash
- Earthquake / Level Ground

• Lead Aron gets a big upgrade thanks to new-and-improved Sturdy, letting it use its item slot for something not named Focus Sash
  • bulky, lots of resistances to set up SR
  • Protect scouts for status, Taunt, Fake Out, etc.
  • Sturdy can be good to guarantee SR getting up, but it has to rely on Rock Slide or Iron Head for STAB, since it doesn't get Stone Edge and can't risk Head Smash recoil
  • Focus Sash + Rock Head can be used if you miss Head Smash that much
  • Level Ground can allow it to beat some leads 1-on-1 (gotta test) by lowering their speed
[Set]
Bursting Lead
Aron @ Custap Berry / Berry Juice
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Ability: Sturdy
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Metal Burst
- Level Ground / Iron Head

• Sturdy + Metal Burst are a built-in combo
  • Protect scouts for attacks
  • can use Custap Berry to get SR up after Bursting
  • Custap also lets it beat Sash leads with the last moveslot, or it can nail an incoming foe with Level Ground to make it easier for an ally to finish them off
  • (need reasons why this set isn't outclassed by Shieldon doing the same thing, who also has Taunt)
Obviously it was pretty WIP, but you got your thing up before I did, so... *shrug* :/ Use what you can/want/need/whatever. I haven't tested the lead sets, and one or both may be inferior to each other or to Shieldon... I think both variations are worth testing though. You could always mash them together by sticking Metal Burst on the offensive lead over Protect, but then you might lose to Fake Out leads. :0

Nails

Double Threat
I kind of had some stuff written already. :0 RP set is more of the same, but I also listed CB and Sturdy lead sets. I guess I can deal with it, but as far as I know, Smogon doesn't recognize co-author credit, which kind of sucks. :\ Anyway, here's the stuff that I had, aside from the token RP set:

[Set]
Choice Bander
Aron @ Choice Band
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpDef / 36 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Ability: Rock Head
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Double-Edge / Shadow Claw / Iron Head

• Used for hole-punching rather than sweeping, but effective for the same reasons (huge Defense stat + many resistances, awesome STAB in Head Smash, etc)
  • CB STAB Head Smash hits like a freight train
  • Superpower is best option against Bronzor
  • Double-Edge for neutral coverage and Rock Head abuse
  • Shadow Claw can hit Missy and other Ghosts
  • Iron Head secondary STAB possibility, but inferior compared to its other options in terms of power and coverage
[Set]
Offensive Lead
Aron @ Berry Juice / Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) / Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Ability: Sturdy / Rock Head
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Rock Slide / Iron Head / Head Smash
- Earthquake / Level Ground

• Lead Aron gets a big upgrade thanks to new-and-improved Sturdy, letting it use its item slot for something not named Focus Sash
  • bulky, lots of resistances to set up SR
  • Protect scouts for status, Taunt, Fake Out, etc.
  • Sturdy can be good to guarantee SR getting up, but it has to rely on Rock Slide or Iron Head for STAB, since it doesn't get Stone Edge and can't risk Head Smash recoil
  • Focus Sash + Rock Head can be used if you miss Head Smash that much
  • Level Ground can allow it to beat some leads 1-on-1 (gotta test) by lowering their speed
[Set]
Bursting Lead
Aron @ Custap Berry / Berry Juice
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Ability: Sturdy
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Metal Burst
- Level Ground / Iron Head

• Sturdy + Metal Burst are a built-in combo
  • Protect scouts for attacks
  • can use Custap Berry to get SR up after Bursting
  • Custap also lets it beat Sash leads with the last moveslot, or it can nail an incoming foe with Level Ground to make it easier for an ally to finish them off
  • (need reasons why this set isn't outclassed by Shieldon doing the same thing, who also has Taunt)
Obviously it was pretty WIP, but you got your thing up before I did, so... *shrug* :/ Use what you can/want/need/whatever. I haven't tested the lead sets, and one or both may be inferior to each other or to Shieldon... I think both variations are worth testing though. You could always mash them together by sticking Metal Burst on the offensive lead over Protect, but then you might lose to Fake Out leads. :0
Smogon Front Page said:
Gallade (Attacking Lead), by Berserker Lord and MetaNite
Kingdra (ChestoRest), by Atticus and undisputed
Primeape (Encore), by Flora and Scoopapa
Steelix (Torment), by Head Smash and Flora
Smogon recognizes plenty of co-authored analyses, so that is a non-issue.

I absolutely love the custap bursting lead, it's an anti-lead that gets up stealth rock. The set isn't outclassed by Shieldon because Aron has the threat of an incredibly powerful Head Smash, even thogh it's not on the set. Additionally, with wifi mechanics, you can switch it in as your lead and they won't see it coming (Aron is used a lot more an Shieldon so in the preview it won't look odd.). That lead set looks absolutely great.

As for the offesive lead, it looks sort of average, though berry juice basically giving it a second sash looks cool. Definitely worth OO mention.

Smogon recognizes plenty of co-authored analyses, so that is a non-issue.
Oh, well I wasn't aware of that. :O It'd be really cool if I could get co-author credit for anything I wrote that's in the analysis...
(Too bad they couldn't give me co-author credit on the Charmander analysis that I basically wrote, and the Shuppet one that I half-wrote. =___= *sigh* Guess that's what I get for inactivity....)

I absolutely love the custap bursting lead, it's an anti-lead that gets up stealth rock. The set isn't outclassed by Shieldon because Aron has the threat of an incredibly powerful Head Smash, even thogh it's not on the set. Additionally, with wifi mechanics, you can switch it in as your lead and they won't see it coming (Aron is used a lot more an Shieldon so in the preview it won't look odd.). That lead set looks absolutely great.

As for the offesive lead, it looks sort of average, though berry juice basically giving it a second sash looks cool. Definitely worth OO mention.
I don't think having Head Smash on a Metal Burst/SR/Custap lead is an exceptionally good idea... remember that you need Sturdy to pull off the SR/Custap strategy, and taking recoil from Head Smash (Sturdy = no Rock Head, remember) pretty much ruins that. :0

The Berry Juice thing is cool, yeah, but BJ is bound to be banned, so I wouldn't think too much of it... Custap is bound to be superior after Juice gets banned. As for the offensive thing, if the other lead is superior, then it probably doesn't need a mention at all. :0 Or, there's always the possibility of slashing Rock Slide and Earthquake over Protect and Level Ground, but frankly, I think Aron really needs Protect to keep Sturdy intact against Fake-Outers. So basically, the last move is just filler.... I listed Level Ground as the main option because, even though its uses will be few and far between, it can allow an incoming switch-in to beat your opponent in very specific circumstances.

Like say you go up against... oh, I don't know... a Monmen lead or something. You know it won't attack, so Metal Burst is no good, at the possibility of it Taunting is quite high. So you use Level Ground as it Taunts or Stun Spores you, slowing it down enough so... ...well I guess it can sub up before you can kill it.... err... maybe send in your own Monmon to Taunt it first or something....? o___O You get the idea though. It's utility that helps teammates in the event that SR and Metal Burst aren't gonna work.

Nails

Double Threat
Oh, well I wasn't aware of that. :O It'd be really cool if I could get co-author credit for anything I wrote that's in the analysis...
(Too bad they couldn't give me co-author credit on the Charmander analysis that I basically wrote, and the Shuppet one that I half-wrote. =___= *sigh* Guess that's what I get for inactivity....)

I don't think having Head Smash on a Metal Burst/SR/Custap lead is an exceptionally good idea... remember that you need Sturdy to pull off the SR/Custap strategy, and taking recoil from Head Smash (Sturdy = no Rock Head, remember) pretty much ruins that. :0

The Berry Juice thing is cool, yeah, but BJ is bound to be banned, so I wouldn't think too much of it... Custap is bound to be superior after Juice gets banned. As for the offensive thing, if the other lead is superior, then it probably doesn't need a mention at all. :0 Or, there's always the possibility of slashing Rock Slide and Earthquake over Protect and Level Ground, but frankly, I think Aron really needs Protect to keep Sturdy intact against Fake-Outers. So basically, the last move is just filler.... I listed Level Ground as the main option because, even though its uses will be few and far between, it can allow an incoming switch-in to beat your opponent in very specific circumstances.

Like say you go up against... oh, I don't know... a Monmen lead or something. You know it won't attack, so Metal Burst is no good, at the possibility of it Taunting is quite high. So you use Level Ground as it Taunts or Stun Spores you, slowing it down enough so... ...well I guess it can sub up before you can kill it.... err... maybe send in your own Monmon to Taunt it first or something....? o___O You get the idea though. It's utility that helps teammates in the event that SR and Metal Burst aren't gonna work.
I never said it would run head smash. The fact that nearly every Aron uses head smash lets you bluff it, and potentially get the free kill as they attack out of fear.

Monmen beats it, but with wifi mechanics lost lead matchups can be switched out of without penalty.

As far as BJ goes, yeah it's banned, but it's great until then.

Props to Youtube user Flaming Spade for this beautiful set:

Sweeper lvl1

Aron lvl 1
Sassy is the best nature
Sturdy ability
Shell Bell

Moves:
Endeavor
Tackle
---
---

Requires Sandstorm (Tyranitar lead is best here).
Thanks to the new ability of Sturdy, it acts like a built-in, reusable Focus Sash. Continue using endeavor, and sandstorm will finish off most pokes, with Shell Bell fully restoring Aron's HP.

Counters:

• Ghost type pokemon
• Entry hazards like Stealth Rock and Spikes
• Pokemon with Rough Skin or Steel Thorns ability
• Pokemon with Sandstorm immunity and Leftovers
• Pokemon with Mold Breaker ability like Ononokusu
• Other weather teams, especially Hail which ruins Sturdy
• Attacks that hit multiple times in one turn like Bullet Seed
• Dragon Tail or Overhead Throw
• Status like Burn and Sleep
• Knock Off or Trick
• Leech Seed
• Fake Out

Croagunk or Dokkora can switch in on anything and ohko with priority. Scarf Machop switches in on anything and ohkoes with Dynamicpunch while aron can’t ohko it, same with scarf mankey.
Except Earthquake.

Or Substitute, if you have Earthquake.

I doubt it can tank STAB LO Head Smashes well either, but...yeah.

Mention Double Edge? It's slightly stronger than a resisted Head Smash, as well as more accurate, and is sorta useful for Baltoy.

Berry Juice is banned, so take that out.

I'd slash Substitute over Magnet Rise, as Substitute protects you from Mach Punch users.

Other than that, looks good. Aron didn't get much this generation.

Let me know when you've made those changes, and I'll stamp it.

Crux

Banned deucer.
There is like, 0 reason to use Rock Polish over Autotomize, switch them, update with new analysis format and ill stamp it

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hippopotas, Phanpy, Moguryuu, and Bronzor can all switch in on Head Smash and threaten to ohko with Earthquake if Aron doesn’t have a balloon or magnet rise set set up. Additionally, Gligar can switch in on anything but a choice band head smash or hidden power ice and OHKO with earthquake.​

Other than this and adding the sets mentioned by Banyru, this looks good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)