Kabutops (Analysis)

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/141.shtml

[Overview]

<p>In the last generation, Kabutops was known as one of the most fearsome OU rain sweepers, with its impressive base 115 Attack stat and base 80 Speed doubled by Swift Swim. Its Water- and Rock-type STAB attacks are resisted by very few Pokemon. Those who do resist it, such as Empoleon or Ferrothorn, are destroyed by Low Kick. Kabutops can also easily take advantage of other Drizzle teams, so you do not have to worry about keeping the rain up manually.<p>

<p>Kabutops does have its downfalls, though. It greatly suffers from the dreaded four moveslot syndrome, and no matter what moves it chooses, there will always be a counter to Kabutops. Rain must also be generated via Rain Dance, due to the fact that the Drizzle + Swift Swim combo has been banned, which can be hard. Despite this, Kabutops is an excellent Pokemon and should be considered when creating a rain team.</p>

[SET]

name: Rain Sweeper
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Aqua Jet / Low Kick
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
ability: Swift Swim
evs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>Kabutops can easily double its already impressive base 115 Attack with a single Swords Dance. In conjunction with Swift Swim's Speed boost, this makes Kabutops immensely difficult to counter. Waterfall becomes insanely powerful in the rain, having a Base Power of 180. It also has a nifty (though small) chance of flinching the foe, which is great if the opponent somehow survives Waterfall. Stone Edge is its secondary STAB attack, and hurts any cheeky Grass-, Dragon-, or Water-type Pokemon trying to switch in. The last moveslot depends on which Pokemon your team has trouble with. Aqua Jet should be the primary move, because it can hit priority users before they hit back with Mach Punch or Bullet Punch. However, Low Kick does severe damage to Empoleon and Ferrothorn, two Pokemon which rain teams have difficulty countering.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>In conjunction with Swift Swim, 216 EVs in Speed will allow Kabutops to outspeed neutral-natured, base 100 Pokemon wielding a Choice Scarf. Attack is maximized so that it can cause mayhem, and the remaining EVs are invested into HP for bulk. Life Orb should be the primary choice, as it adds to Kabutops's monstrous strength. However, if Prankster Pokemon, such as Whimsicott, are troubling your team, you may find Lum Berry to be a viable option. A Jolly nature may be used to outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion if you are not running Aqua Jet, although the lack of power will become noticeable.</p>

<p>It is crucial that the rain does not run out. Having two to three Pokemon who summon Rain manually can fix this problem. Scizor, Bronzong, and Jirachi are good candidates, as they not only benefit from having their Fire-type weakness reduced, but can also counter Tyranitar and Abomasnow, two despised weather-changers. Zapdos resists Kabutops's weakness to Grass- and Fighting-type attacks, and is immune to Ground-type moves. Tornadus and Thundurus are also great choices, as their ability grants Rain Dance +1 priority. In addition, these Pokemon enjoy having a 100% accurate STAB Hurricane and Thunder to use, respectively.</p>

<p>Like every Pokemon in the metagame, Kabutops likes the support of entry hazards. Forretress and Ferrothorn can set up Spikes and / or Stealth Rock, and benefit from having their 4x weakness to Fire-type attacks reduced. Kabutops is best used as a late-game sweeper, so it appreciates powerful rain sweepers, such as Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Omastar, weakening the foe's team. Ferrothorn and Empoleon can be problematic if Kabutops uses Aqua Jet. Scizor and Azumarill both learn Superpower to counter them (Azumarill should be aware of Power Whip), and a Thunder user, such as Latios, Thundurus or Zapdos, can dispose of Empoleon. Breloom and Celebi are two major threats to Kabutops. Scizor can use its Bug-type STAB moves to scare out Celebi, or trap it with Pursuit. Tornadus can easily handle Breloom and Virizion with STAB Hurricane. Weather changers are a huge threat to Kabutops. Once again, Scizor is a fantastic Pokemon to use due to its ability to check Tyranitar and Abomasnow. Hippowdon is not too hard to handle, as special attackers such as Gorebyss and Kingdra can quickly wear it down with Hydro Pump. Ninetales is slightly more annoying, as Drought makes it neutral to Water-type attacks. Latias and Latios can shrug off its attacks and hammer away at it with their STAB Draco Meteors.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Band
evs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>One problem that Kabutops faces is setting up. Slapping a Choice Band on it can cure this problem, and enables it to act as a late-game cleaner. With a Choice Band, rain-boosted Waterfall still does considerable damage to anything that does not resist it. Stone Edge is ideal for hitting bulky Water-types. With Stealth Rock and an Adamant nature, it can OHKO 156 HP / 96 Def Gyarados (the standard bulkyGyara spread) even at -1 Attack, and has a chance of 2HKOing 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Suicune. Aqua Jet prevents other priority users from ruining Kabutops's day. Superpower is recommended in the final moveslot, as it can dismantle Ferrothorn and Empoleon. Superpower will also deal more damage to Breloom and Virizion than any of Kabutops's other attacks.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Just like the Swords Dance set, the EVs allow Kabutops to outspeed neutral-natured Pokemon with base 100 Speed and a Choice Scarf. 252 EVs in Attack and an Adamant nature enable Kabutops to do the most damage possible, and the remaining EVs go to HP for some additional bulk.</p>

<p>Also, as with the previous set, Pokemon who summon rain manually are crucial. The best Pokemon to use would be those who either have defensive synergy with Kabutops or are able to take out its counters. Steel-type Pokemon like Jirachi, Magnezone, and Scizor can use their bulk and switch into attacks aimed at Kabutops. Those three Pokemon can also use U-turn or Volt Switch to scout the opponent's moves. This information is crucial to Kabutops because locking it into the wrong move can be disastrous. Tornadus, Thundurus, Zapdos, Latios, and Latias can use their powerful special attacks to break down physical walls that Kabutops hates. Mixed or special rain sweepers such as Kingdra, Ludicolo, Omastar, and Gorebyss are also recommended.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like almost every other Water-type Pokemon in this generation, Kabutops learns Scald. However, its pitiful Special Attack stat prevents it from using the move. Kabutops can run a set with Endure / Flail / Aqua Jet, but it has better things to do. Besides, with priority being thrown everywhere, that set would become nothing but a gimmick. Defensive sets can opt to use Confuse Ray for fun, but relying on luck is generally not advisable. Rapid Spin is an option, although Excadrill, Starmie, and Tentacruel are probably better options for spinning away entry hazards. Kabutops can set up rain itself, but there are other Pokemon who can do this more easily.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>First of all, removing the rain suddenly makes Kabutops slower and weaker. Ninetales, Tyranitar, and Abomasnow can change the weather with their abilites, and all three can carry moves which are super effective. However, Kabutops also learns moves which can badly damage them (especially after a Swords Dance), so they must switch in carefully. Sun teams in particular are dangerous, because they can easily bring down an entire rain team if unaccounted for.</p>

<p>Kabutops does not like status at all. Tentacruel resists everything except for Stone Edge, and can lay down Toxic Spikes to shorten its life, or burn it with Scald. Will-O-Wisp from Jellicent or Thunder Wave from Celebi also ruin its day. Whimsicott deserves a special mention here, because it can cripple Kabutops with Stun Spore or Encore, and has priority while doing so.</p>

<p>Bulky Grass-types, such as Ferrothorn and Celebi, can shrug off a +2 Stone Edge and OHKO Kabutops with their powerful Grass-type moves. If not running Superpower / Low Kick, Empoleon, Virizion, and Breloom can wall Kabutops to no end. If Kabutops does not have Aqua Jet, Breloom and Conkeldurr can use Mach Punch to hurt it before it has the chance to attack. Finally, any Swift Swim Kabutops running an Adamant nature is in danger of being outsped by Choice Scarf Starmie, Mienshao, Gengar, and other threats.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Kabutops's Dream World ability is Weak Armor, which lowers its Defense but raises its Speed when hit by a physical attack. Weak Armor can be useful on a Focus Sash "lead" set carrying Stealth Rock. Other than that, though, Swift Swim and Battle Armor outclass it.</p>

I think the Swords Dance set needs a new EV spread, since there's more, faster threats that can use a Choice Scarf.
New EV: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe and Jolly nature.
It makes sure you outspeed 110 Scarfers in rain (Lati@s, Gengar, and all the new base 108 mons), etc. You can never outspeed them with Adamant, so Jolly + 176 Spe EVs is needed, and rest is dumped to HP for bulk.
Also, I think it should run X-Scissor to kill Lati@s, and Grass/Fighting mon that can take your hit, and KO you.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think the Swords Dance set needs a new EV spread, since there's more, faster threats that can use a Choice Scarf.
New EV: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe and Jolly nature.
It makes sure you outspeed 110 Scarfers in rain (Lati@s, Gengar, and all the new base 108 mons), etc. You can never outspeed them with Adamant, so Jolly + 176 Spe EVs is needed, and rest is dumped to HP for bulk.
Also, I think it should run X-Scissor to kill Lati@s, and Grass/Fighting mon that can take your hit, and KO you.
Added. Thanks for the advice!

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If Brick Break is there solely for Nattorei and Empoleon then why not use Low Kick? It hits Nattorei for 100 BP and Empoleon for 80 BP (and for what it's worth it's stronger than Brick Break vs Quagsire and Poliwrath). Maybe even go with Superpower so that you can hit the aforementioned Pokemon hard whilst still being able to nail Breloom switch-ins. X-Scissor is quite useless since Stone Edge is almost as strong in most scenarios...I suppose if you're really scared of Celebi then you could give it a shot but generally, Aqua Jet and [fighting attack] are far superior.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
If Brick Break is there solely for Nattorei and Empoleon then why not use Low Kick? It hits Nattorei for 100 BP and Empoleon for 80 BP (and for what it's worth it's stronger than Brick Break vs Quagsire and Poliwrath). Maybe even go with Superpower so that you can hit the aforementioned Pokemon hard whilst still being able to nail Breloom switch-ins. X-Scissor is quite useless since Stone Edge is almost as strong in most scenarios...I suppose if you're really scared of Celebi then you could give it a shot but generally, Aqua Jet and [fighting attack] are far superior.
I always thought Nattorei was 110 pounds, not kilograms, until I double-checked on Serebii. Which is why I didn't add it previously. Oops....

Superpower seems appropriate for the Choice Band set. I'm debating as to include it on the SD set, though.

I don't quite agree with you about X-Scissor being too useless. Sure, a SE X-Scissor is only 10 BP higher than STAB Stone Edge, but don't foget that Stone Edge has a nasty 20% chance to miss.

IMO, the EV spread should be like this: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe. It allows you to outspeed positive natured +1 115 bases, like Scarf Starmie or Scarf Azelf. Scarf Starmie is pretty big, as you don't want to be forced out after you get your +2, or get one of your main sweepers killed. If you don't like it, maybe a mention in AC would suffice.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
IMO, the EV spread should be like this: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe. It allows you to outspeed positive natured +1 115 bases, like Scarf Starmie or Scarf Azelf. Scarf Starmie is pretty big, as you don't want to be forced out after you get your +2, or get one of your main sweepers killed. If you don't like it, maybe a mention in AC would suffice.
Good point there. Edited (previous spread was moved to AC).

I don't think Confuse Ray on the defensive spinner set is worth it, especially not over Stone Edge (which imo should be Rock Slide).

Mix Kingdra, Ludicolo and Omanyte tear holes for Kabutops to attack.
Agree with the first two, but Omanyte might have some trouble tearing any holes ;)

Also, Birijion should be added to the list of counters. Resisting dual STAB while remaining neutral to X-Scissor makes it a nice switch in, and it threatens Kabutops with everything it has.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Confuse Ray on the defensive spinner set is worth it, especially not over Stone Edge (which imo should be Rock Slide).
Done.

Agree with the first two, but Omanyte might have some trouble tearing any holes ;)

Also, Birijion should be added to the list of counters. Resisting dual STAB while remaining neutral to X-Scissor makes it a nice switch in, and it threatens Kabutops with everything it has.
Gah >_< I meant Omastar. Birijion is added. Thank you both!

Maybe you could mention Superpower in the SD set, for a mid-suicide attack that probably does more damage on Poleon and Ferrothorn than Low kick but also hits Breloom and Virizion harder than X-Scissor...

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aldaron's proposal makes this analysis kinda defunct considering that Kabutop's big selling point was being a Swift Swimmer, and now that it can't be used with Drizzle it becomes kinda questionable. Also, prior to this bump the analysis had been idle for literally two full months, so...

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm questioning Kabutop's viability myself. On one hand, it is still probably the best physical SS sweeper (lol Qwilfish), has a small niche as a Rapid Spinner and can even run Rock Polish. On the other hand, summoning rain was hard enough last gen, and with Ninetales rearing its ugly head in, I imagine it will be even harder.

It really is up to your desicion, SDS.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Bumping this because I've altered the set descriptions a bit, since using both Drizzle and Swift Swim on the same team has been banned. In addition, I've removed both Rapid Spin sets, as without permanent rain, those sets are outclassed by Doryuuzu and Starmie.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Remove X-Scissor as a slash on the Swords Dance sweeper and mention it in Additional Comments. X-Scissor's main selling point was its ability to KO Celebi, who is rarely seen in OU right now. X-Scissor does hit Rankurusu for super effective damage, but still, even after an SD, you won't be OHKOing it if it's running 252 HP / 252 Defense @ Bold, so you might as well use Waterfall versus it.

Speaking of Swords Dance, I'd say Adamant is better than Jolly unless you're really scared of being outpaced by Scarf Terakion. Personally, I'd make it the first slash.

Remove X-Scissor from the Choice Band set as well for the same reasons. Superpower is absolutely necessary for breaking through Natorei.

Mention Kabutop's ability to use Stealth Rock in Optional Changes. Lastly, make sure to talk about how Kabutops can take advantage of opposing rain teams in your analysis.

Everything else looks good!

QC APPROVED (2/3)

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Agreeing with my colleague Bloo. Make the EV spread for both sets 32 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe (Adamant). This outruns Choice Scarf Garchomp in the rain. Mention Joly as an option in the AC, and mention you only need to consider using it if you're not running Aqua Jet (Terakion is the only common scarfer faster than Garchomp). And yeah mention that Kabutops can take advantage of opposing Drizzle teams.

QC Approved (3/3)

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Haha, thanks guys for the rapid QC checks. I've updated the original analysis. Let the grammar checks begin!

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In this analysis it only talks about Kabutops taking advantage of OPPOSING Drizzle teams, you can't control whether your opponent uses a Politoed or not lol.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
<p>216 EVs in speed, combined with Swift Swim, will allow Kabutops to outspeed Adamant Choice Scarfed Garchomp and anything slower, which is impressive. This means that Kabutops can safely pull of a Swords Dance while revenge killers like scarf Starmie or scarf Gengar switch in, and still be able to out speed them. 252 EVs in attack will ensure that Kabutops will do as much damage as possible, and the rest is dumped into HP for bulk.</p>
this is complete nonsense, either you worded it wrong or its just fallacious information. i dont believe anyone runs adamant scarfchomp, and also even then gengar and starmie are both faster than JOLLY scarfchomp making that arguement useless

also on the rain sweeper set you are missing 8 evs.

another thing im wondering is if a rain dance set could work
@life orb
adamant 40hp/252atk/216spe
-rain dance
-stone edge
-waterfall
-low kick

i havent actually tested this set yet but it seems like it could be a great end game cleaner being stronger than the same kindgra set but only physical while being able to get rid of ferro unlike kindgra. i know this is in copyediting phase, but i believe this should at least go into ac or maybe even a main set.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>In the last generation, Kabutops was known as one of the most fearsome OU rain sweepers, with his nice base 115 Attack stat and base 80 Speed doubled by Swift Swim. his Water-type and Rock-type STAB attacks are resisted by very few Pokemon. Those who do resist it, such as Empoleon or Nattorei, are destroyed by Low Kick. Kabutops can also easily take advantage of other Drizzle teams, so you do not have to worry about keeping the rain up manually!<p>

<p>The fossil does have its downfalls, though. It greatly suffers from the dreaded four moveslot syndrome, and no matter what moves it chooses, there will always be a counter to Kabutops. Rain must also be generated via Rain Dance, due to the fact that the Drizzle + Swift Swim combo has been banned, which can be hard. Despite this, whenever someone uses a rain team, he or she better be prepared to deal with this monstrosity.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Low Kick / Aqua Jet

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kabutops can easily double its already impressive base 115 Attack with a single Swords Dance. When combined with Swift Swim's speed boost, this makes Kabutops immensely difficult to counter. Waterfall becomes insanely powerful in the rain, having a Base Power of 180. It also has a nifty (though small) chance of flinching the foe, which is great if the opponent somehow survives Waterfall. Stone Edge is its secondary STAB attack, and hurts any cheeky Grass-, Dragon-, or Water-type Pokemon trying to switch in. The last moveslot depends on which Pokemon your team has trouble with. Aqua Jet should be the primary move, because it can hit priority users before they hit back with Mach Punch or Bullet Punch. However, Low Kick does severe damage to Empoleon and Nattorei, two Pokemon who rain teams have difficulty countering.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>216 EVs in Speed, combined with Swift Swim, will allow Kabutops to outspeed Adamant Choice Scarfed Garchomp and anything slower, which is impressive. This means that Kabutops can safely pull of a Swords Dance while revenge killers such as Choice Scarf Starmie or Gengar switch in, and still be able to outpace them. 252 EVs in Attack will ensure that Kabutops will do as much damage as possible, and the rest is dumped into HP for bulk.</p>

<p>Life Orb should be the primary choice, as it adds to Kabutops's monstrous strength. However, if Prankster Pokemon, such as Whimsicott, are troubling your team, though, you may find Lum Berry to be a viable option. A Jolly nature may be used to outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion if you are not running Aqua Jet, although the lack of power will become noticeable. X-Scissor can be useful for hitting Celebi, but only if your team is having trouble with it, as giving up coverage to destroy just one wall is usually not worth it.</p>

<p>It is crucial that the rain does not run out. Having two to three Pokemon who summon Rain manually can fix this problem. Scizor, Bronzong, and Jirachi are good candidates, as they not only benifit from having their Fire-type weakness reduced, but they can also counter Tyranitar and Abomasnow, two despised weather-changers. Tornundus and Thundurus are also great candidates, as their ability ensures that Rain Dance will always be used first. In addition, these Pokemon enjoy having 100% accurate STAB Hurricane and Thunder to use, respectively.</p>

<p>Like every Pokemon in the metagame, Kabutops likes entry hazards. Swampert can set up Stealth Rock and absorb incoming Electric-type attacks. However, they both have a 4x weakness to Grass, so keep that in mind. Foretress and Nattorei can set up Spikes and/or Stealth Rock, and benefit from having their 4x weakness to Fire attacks reduced. Kabutops is best used as a lategame sweeper, so it appreciates powerful rain sweepers, such as Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Omastar weakening the foe's team. Nattorei and Empoleon can be problematic if Kabutops uses Aqua Jet or X-Scissor. Scizor and Feraligatr both learn Superpower to counter them (Feraligatr should be aware of Power Whip), and a Thunder user, such as Latias or Zapdos, can dispose Empoleon. Breloom, Virizion, and Celebi can be problems if X-Scissor is not used. Scizor can use its Bug-type STAB moves to scare Celebi or trap it with Pursuit. Tornundus can easily handle Breloom and Virizion with its STAB Hurricane. Weather changers are a huge threat to Kabutops, as they remove its rain. Once again, Scizor is a fantastic Pokemon to use due to its ability to check Tyranitar and Abomasnow. Hippowdon is not too hard to handle, as special attackers such as Gorebyss and Kingdra can quickly wear it down with Hydro Pump. Ninetales is slightly more annoying, as Drought makes it neutral to Water-type attacks. Luckily, its poor Defense stat, and weakness to Stealth Rock, allows you to pound it with physical attacks until it finally dies.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>One problem that Kabutops faces is setting up. In this metagame, priority and Prankster users run rampant everywhere, so it may have a hard time using Swords Dance. Rain-boosted Waterfall still does considerable damage to anything that does not resist it. Stone Edge hits bulky Water-types trying to switch in. With Stealth Rock and an Adamant nature, it can OHKO 156 HP / 96 Def Gyarados (the standard bulkyGyara spread) even at -1, and has a chance of 2HKOing 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Suicune. Aqua Jet prevents other priority users from ruining Kabutops's day. Superpower is recommended in the final moveslot, as it can dismantle Ferrothorn and Empoleon. Superpower will also deal more damage to Breloom and Virizion than any of its other attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Just like the Swords Dance set, the EVs allow Kabutops to outspeed Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp. 252 EVs in Attack and an Adamant nature enables Kabutops to do the most damage possible, and the remaining EVs go to HP for some extra defense.</p>

<p>Also like the previous set, Pokemon who summon rain manually are crucial. Once again, the best Pokemon to use would be Jirachi, Bronzong, Scizor, Tornadus, and Thundurus. Kabutops greatly appreciates Stealth Rock, as it will make up for being locked into an attack. Forretress and Ferrothorn can do this and easily take on any incoming Grass-type or Electric-type attacks (Ferrothorn should be wary of Fighting-type moves, though). Celebi also does this and can take care of any bulky Water-types trying to switch into Waterfall.</p>

<p>Locking Kabutops into the wrong attack can be deadly, so scouting is recommended. Scizor is a great scout who can scare away Grass-types with STAB U-turn, and likes having a reduced Fire-type weakness. A bulky Pokemon who can take on its weaknesses makes a great partner. Latias, for example, resists three of Kabutops's weaknesses and is immune to Ground-type moves. She can then proceed to fire off 100% accurate Thunders, pseudo-STAB Surfs, or proceed to set up with Calm Mind.</p>

<p>Choice Band Kabutops is more of a wall-breaker or a cleaner than a sweeper, and Pokemon who have trouble with physical walls will appreciate being paired with it. ChestoRest Kingdra, for example, has trouble with walls such as Skarmory, who can survive a rain-boosted Waterfall and taunt Kingdra to prevent it from setting up. Kabutops, however, can easily outspeed and 2HKO Skarmory.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Like almost every other Water-typed Pokemon in this generation, Kabutops learns Scald. However, its pitiful Special Attack stat prevents it from enjoying the move. Kabutops can run a set with Endure / Flail / Aqua Jet, but it has better things to do. Besides, with priority being thrown everywhere, that set would become nothing but a gimmick. Defensive sets can opt to use Confuse Ray for some hax fun. Rapid Spin is an option, although Excadrill, Starmie, and Tentacruel are probably better options for spinning away entry hazards. Speaking of entry hazards, Kabutops can also set up Stealth Rock if your team is in need of it. Finally, Kabutops can use Night Slash and Aerial Ace; however, STAB Stone Edge or (rain-boosted) Waterfall will usually outdamage those attacks, even if they are super effective.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Having two or three Pokemon (although it doesn't hurt to have more) Pokemon who have Rain Dance is required for any Rain-based team. Steel-types, such as Magnezone, Bronzong, Jirachi, and Scizor appreciate having their Fire-type weakness reduced. Swampert can do this, provide bulk and Stealth Rock and counter Tyranitar at the same time. Thundurus's ability allows it to almost always summon rain first, and fire away 100% STAB Thunder.</p>

<p>The Choice Band set may have trouble dealing with powerful physical walls, such as Skarmory and Gliscor. Mixed or purely special sweepers, such as Kingdra, Gorebyss, or Ludicolo, make good teammates, as they can fire off powerful special attacks to defeat these walls. Pokemon who resist Kabutops's weakness to Grass, Electric, Fighting and Ground make great defensive partners. Latias easily resists all of them with her great bulk, and naturally makes a good partner. Another good teammate is Celebi, who resists all of its weaknesses.</p>

[Counters]

<p>First of all, removing the rain suddenly makes Kabutops slower and weaker. Ninetales, Tyranitar, and Abomasnow can change the weather with their abilites, and all three can carry moves which are super effective. However, Kabutops also learns moves which can badly damage them (especially after a Swords Dance), so they must be switched in carefully. Sun teams in particular are dangerous, because they can easily bring down an entire rain team if unaccounted for.</p>

<p>Kabutops does not like status at all. Tentacruel resists everything except for Stone Edge, and can lay down Toxic Spikes to shorten its life, or burn it with Scald. Will-O-Wisp from Jellicent or Thunder Wave from Celebi also ruin its day. Whimsicott deserves a special mention here, because it can cripple Kabutops with Stun Spore or Encore, and has priority while doing so.</p>

<p>Bulky Grass-types, such as Ferrothorn or defensive Celebi, can shrug off a + 2 Stone Edge and OHKO with powerful Grass moves. If not running Superpower / Low Kick, Empoleon, Virizion, and Breloom can wall it to no end. If Kabutops does not have Aqua Jet, Breloom and Conkeldurr can use Mach Punch to hurt it before it has a chance to strike back. Finally, any Swift Swim Kabutops running an Adamant nature is in danger of being outsped by Choice Scarf Starmie, Mienshao, Gengar, and other threats.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Kabutops's Dream World ability is Weak Armor, which lowers its Defense but raises its Speed when hit by a physical attack. Weak Armor can be useful on a Focus Sash lead carrying Stealth Rock. Other than that, though, Swift Swim and Battle Armor outclass it.</p>
A few issues; first you didn't translate all Japanese names to English. Please keep on top of your analyses and do these yourself as soon as possible to save us the trouble.

Secondly, when listing things, you need to use a recursive comma. The list should look like; "A, B, and C", whereas you consistently typed "A, B and C".

Thirdly, there were many content errors in this, but I decided not to change them, since that is a job for QC.

Please take note of these points and use them to improve in the future.

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[Overview]

<p>In the last generation, Kabutops was known as one of the most fearsome OU rain sweepers, with its impressive base 115 Attack stat and base 80 Speed doubled by Swift Swim. Its Water-type and Rock-type STAB attacks are resisted by very few Pokemon. Those who do resist it, such as Empoleon or Ferrothorn, are destroyed by Low Kick. Kabutops can also easily take advantage of other Drizzle teams, so you do not have to worry about keeping the rain up manually.<p>

<p>Kabutops does have its downfalls, though. It greatly suffers from the dreaded four moveslot syndrome, and no matter what moves it chooses, there will always be a counter to Kabutops. Rain must also be generated via Rain Dance, due to the fact that the Drizzle + Swift Swim combo has been banned, which can be hard. Despite this, Kabutops is an excellent Pokemon and should be considered when creating a rain team.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Aqua Jet / Low Kick
evs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Kabutops can easily double its already impressive base 115 Attack with a single Swords Dance. When combined In conjunction with Swift Swim's Speed boost, this makes Kabutops immensely difficult to counter. Waterfall becomes insanely powerful in the rain, having a Base Power of 180. It also has a nifty (though small) chance of flinching the foe, which is great if the opponent somehow survives Waterfall. Stone Edge is its secondary STAB attack, and hurts any cheeky Grass-, Dragon-, or Water-type Pokemon trying to switch in. The last moveslot depends on which Pokemon your team has trouble with. Aqua Jet should be the primary move, because it can hit priority users before they hit back with Mach Punch or Bullet Punch. However, Low Kick does severe damage to Empoleon and Nattorei, two Pokemon which rain teams have difficulty countering.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>216 EVs in Speed combined with Swift Swim will allow Kabutops to outspeed neutral-natured, base 100 Pokemon wielding a Choice Scarf. Attack is maximized so that it can cause mayhem, and the remaining EVs are invested into HP for bulk. Life Orb should be the primary choice, as it adds to Kabutops's monstrous strength. However, if Prankster Pokemon, such as Whimsicott, are troubling your team, you may find Lum Berry to be a viable option. A Jolly nature may be used to outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion if you are not running Aqua Jet, although the lack of power will become noticeable.</p>

<p>It is crucial that the rain does not run out. Having two to three Pokemon who summon Rain manually can fix this problem. Scizor, Bronzong, and Jirachi are good candidates, as they not only benefit from having their Fire-type weakness reduced, but they can also counter Tyranitar and Abomasnow, two despised weather-changers. Zapdos resists Kabutops's weakness to Grass- and Fighting-type attacks, and is immune to Ground-type moves. Tornadus and Thundurus are also great choices, as their ability ensures that Rain Dance will always be used first grants Rain Dance +1 priority. In addition, these Pokemon enjoy having a 100% accurate STAB Hurricane and Thunder to use, respectively.</p>

<p>Like every Pokemon in the metagame, Kabutops likes the support of entry hazards. Forretress and Ferrothorn can set up Spikes and / or Stealth Rock, and benefit from having their 4x weakness to Fire-type attacks reduced. Kabutops is best used as a late-game sweeper, so it appreciates powerful rain sweepers, such as Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Omastar, weakening the foe's team. Ferrothorn and Empoleon can be problematic if Kabutops uses Aqua Jet. Scizor and Azumarill both learn Superpower to counter them (Azumarill should be aware of Power Whip), and a Thunder user, such as Latios, Thundurus or Zapdos, can dispose of Empoleon. Breloom and Celebi are two major threats to Kabutops. Scizor can use its Bug-type STAB moves to scare out Celebi, or trap it with Pursuit. Tornadus can easily handle Breloom and Virizion with its STAB Hurricane. Weather changers are a huge threat to Kabutops. Once again, Scizor is a fantastic Pokemon to use due to its ability to check Tyranitar and Abomasnow. Hippowdon is not too hard to handle, as special attackers such as Gorebyss and Kingdra can quickly wear it down with Hydro Pump. Ninetales is slightly more annoying, as Drought makes it neutral to Water-type attacks. Latias and Latios can shrug off its attacks and hammer away at it with their STAB Draco Meteors.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>One problem that Kabutops faces is setting up. Slapping a Choice Band on it can cure this problem, and enables it to act as a late-game cleaner. With a Choice Band, rain-boosted Waterfall still does considerable damage to anything that does not resist it. Stone Edge is ideal for hitting bulky Water-types. With Stealth Rock and an Adamant nature, it can OHKO 156 HP / 96 Def Gyarados (the standard bulkyGyara spread) even at -1 Attack, and has a chance of 2HKOing 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Suicune. Aqua Jet prevents other priority users from ruining Kabutops's day. Superpower is recommended in the final moveslot, as it can dismantle Ferrothorn and Empoleon. Superpower will also deal more damage to Breloom and Virizion than any of Kabutops's other attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Just like the Swords Dance set, the EVs allow Kabutops to outspeed neutral-natured Pokemon with base 100 Speed and a Choice Scarf. 252 EVs in Attack and an Adamant nature enable Kabutops to do the most damage possible, and the remaining EVs go to HP for some additional bulk.</p>

<p>Also, as with the previous set, Pokemon who summon rain manually are crucial. The best Pokemon to use would be those who either have defensive synergy with Kabutops or are able to take out its counters. Steel-type Pokemon like Jirachi, Magnezone, and Scizor can use their bulk and switch into attacks aimed at Kabutops. Those three Pokemon can also use U-turn or Volt Switch to scout the opponent's moves. This information is crucial to Kabutops because locking it into the wrong move can be disastrous. Tornadus, Thundurus, Zapdos, Latios, and Latias can use their powerful special attacks to break down physical walls that Kabutops hates. Mixed or special rain sweepers such as Kingdra, Ludicolo, Omastar, and Gorebyss are also recommended.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like almost every other Water-type Pokemon in this generation, Kabutops learns Scald. However, its pitiful Special Attack stat prevents it from using the move. Kabutops can run a set with Endure / Flail / Aqua Jet, but it has better things to do. Besides, with priority being thrown everywhere, that set would become nothing but a gimmick. Defensive sets can opt to use Confuse Ray for some hax fun, but relying on luck is generally not advisable. Rapid Spin is an option, although Excadrill, Starmie, and Tentacruel are probably better options for spinning away entry hazards. Kabutops can set up rain itself, but there are other Pokemon who can do this more easily.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>First of all, removing the rain suddenly makes Kabutops slower and weaker. Ninetales, Tyranitar, and Abomasnow can change the weather with their abilites, and all three can carry moves which are super effective. However, Kabutops also learns moves which can badly damage them (especially after a Swords Dance), so they must be switched in carefully. Sun teams in particular are dangerous, because they can easily bring down an entire rain team if unaccounted for.</p>

<p>Bulky Grass-types, such as Ferrothorn or defensive and Celebi, can shrug off a +2 Stone Edge and OHKO Kabutops with their powerful Grass-type moves. If not running Superpower / Low Kick, Empoleon, Virizion, and Breloom can wall Kabutops to no end. If Kabutops does not have Aqua Jet, Breloom and Conkeldurr can use Mach Punch to hurt it before it has the chance to strike back attack. Finally, any Swift Swim Kabutops running an Adamant nature is in danger of being outsped by Choice Scarf Starmie, Mienshao, Gengar, and other threats.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Kabutops's Dream World ability is Weak Armor, which lowers its Defense but raises its Speed when hit by a physical attack. Weak Armor can be useful on a Focus Sash "lead" set carrying Stealth Rock. Other than that, though, Swift Swim and Battle Armor outclass it.</p>

GP 2 / 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)