Hiyakkii (QC 0/3)

Hiyakki

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/516.shtml

[Overview]

<p>Fresh out of the 5th Generation comes the cheeky water monkey, Hiyakkii (who always seems to look a little TOO happy). Being one of the monkey trio, this guy's main job was to help an aspiring trainer defeat that tricky first gym leader. This doesn't mean, however, that this little guy should be left out of competitive play. With a respectable special move pool and bonus of Nasty Plot, plus a respectable speed stat, Hiyakkii can quickly turn into a dangerous sweeper.

• Nasty Plot and a respectable 101 base speed can make Hayakkii a somewhat effective special sweeper
  • Having the same attack and special attack stat can sometimes catch an opponent off guard, especially with Claw Sharpen in its arsenal
  • Low HP and even lower defensive stats make Hiyakkii very frail and easy to revenge kill
  • Boosting moves don't make up for mediocre base 98 attacks, there are better options out there</p>
[SET]

name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Focus Blast / Grass Knot
item: Life Orb
ability: Torrent
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

By far Hiyakkii's most useful set, taking advantage of Hiyakkii's awesome boosting move, Nasty Plot. Surf is used over Boil Over because this set is not aimed at getting lucky burns but more towards raw power. Hydro Pump is also a very usable option, considering Hiyakkii needs all the power he can get. Ice Beam is used to cover what water can't, and Grass Knot is there for those bulky waters who want to try and stop Hiyakkii's sweep. Hidden Power Electric is an option if Hiyakkii wants to OHKO Gyarados, but Gyarados really doesn't appreciate 120 BP Grass Knot after Stealth Rock damage anyway. Torrent is the obvious choice for this set, giving Hiyakkii that last pinch of power in a tough situation. Stuck with a base 101 speed, the nature of choice will be Timid to max out the speed factor.

[ADDITIONAL OPTIONS]

<p>If the need for power is too tempting, go ahead a slap an Expert Belt on over Leftovers. This, however, allows Hiyakkii to be worn down by water and status even quicker, considering it's lackluster HP. Grass Knot is a viable choice over Hidden Power Electric if there's fear for the likes of Gamageroge. Focus Blast is an option if Hiyakkii wishes to brave the brutal storm that is Nattorei, however a lot of coverage would be lost so it is not recommended. Taunt can be used to stop the likes of Blissey and other walls from crippling Hiyakkii, primarily taking up the 3rd slot.</p>

[SET]

name: Claw Sharpen
move 1: Claw Sharpen
move 2: Aqua Tail
move 3: Ankle Sweep
move 4: Crunch / Taunt
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As stated in the Nasty Plot set, if the need for power is too tempting, go ahead a slap an Expert Belt on over Leftovers. This, however, allows Hiyakkii to be worn down by water and status even quicker, considering it's lackluster HP. Although definitely less effective than the Nasty Plot set, Hiyakkii can wholeheartedly take advantage of Claw Sharpen as well. After one Claw Sharpen, Hiyakki's attack skyrockets to 442.5, and all of his moves bump up their accuracy to 100%. Aqua Tail is there for Primary STAB, while Crunch is used to take on Latias and offer some general coverage. Lastly, Ankle Sweep completes the almost flawless coverage, plus slowing down any switch ins who come in thinking they can stop Hiyakkii because they'll out speed. They thought wrong.</p>

[ADDITIONAL OPTIONS]

<p>Unlike in the Nasty Plot set, Hiyakkii is getting only a +1 boost. Therefore, he's gonna need all the help he can get. Voila, Life Orb. Leftovers is an option as well if one doesn't mind the loss of power. The fourth move slot is entirely up to the user. The extra coverage for Grass types is nice, but Taunt stops walls trying to cripple him in their tracks. This is all a matter of what teams will benefit the most from. Substitute and Gluttony is again a side quest for this set, but is very ineffective.</p>

[SET]

name: Choice
move 1: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Hidden Power Electric
move 4: Focus Blast / Grass Knot
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Hiyakki is a very good candidate for a choice item as it lacks superior speed and attack power. Special is chosen due to it's larger move pool in this area, however a physical choice set could be used to catch an opponent off guard. Surf is always a must for a necessary STAB, Ice Beam is present for coverage. Hidden Power Electric is priority on this set over others because this set will be used mainly for revenge-killing; an OHKO on Gyarados is just too sweet to pass up. Focus Blast to hit Nattorei hard. Nature depends on your choice item, and is lined up respectively. When running a specs set, Timid nature is highly recommended to pick off Landlos. Other base 99-101 speed Pokemon like Genosect and Victini are also commonly scarfed, so Timid is a must for safety.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Hydro Pump is an option over Surf, but being locked into a move with horrifying accuracy can be the difference of life and death for our poor water monkey. Focus Blast is recommended over Grass Knot unless you'll be walled by Nattorei. Granted, it'll hit Swampert and the emerging Quagsire for an OHKO, but the lack of coverage is just too risky.</p>
---

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

<p>Hydro Pump should be considered over Surf on all sets. The lowered accuracy is a risk a player needs to take in order to make Hiyakkii's efforts productive. Boil Over is also interchangeable with Surf, however the lack of power is heart-breaking, plus that small chance of burn means nothing for Hiyakki. A Choice Band set wasn't included due to the fact that Hiyakkii's physical movepool just isn't as good as his special one. Access to moves like Aqua Ring, Toxic, Taunt, and Torment could make Hiyakki a decent SubTorment abuser, but poor defenses and HP + solo typing make that almost impossible. Thanks to Hiyakkii's dual attack stats, a mixed set is possible to run, but it is usually extremely ineffective.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]

<p>The one thing Hiyakki loves more than Mary Jane are entry hazards. As many as a team can muster, pile 'em on. Because Hiyakkii needs all the residual damage possible if he wants to pull off a sweep. This makes Nattorei, Forretress, and related Pokemon excellent partners to Hiyakkii. A spin blocker is nice too, Desukaan or Dusknoir fit the role nicely. And lastly, because of its frailness, Hiyakkii also appreciates screens support.</p>

[COUNTERS]

<p>Unfortunately due to Hiyakkii's typing, the dynamic duo themselves Bloongell and Nattorei are able to come in and obliterate Hiyakkii. Hidden Power Electric hits hard, and Focus Blast hits harder, but its usually not enough. Anything with priority that's not Bullet Punch can counter Hiyakkii. Scarfed revenge killers are also a problem if they haven't been Ankle Swept.

Oh. And Ditto. But that thing counters everyone.</p>

[DREAM WORLD]

<p>Dream World gracefully gifted Hiyakkii with Torrent, which should be the standard ability of all his sets (except substitute berry sets). That boost can be crucial for Hiyakkii to nab some KOs. Once previously a starter Pokemon only move, many Pokemon have now gained access to the ever present 'pinch' ability. It's actually surprising how much that 1.5 boost matters once a brave fighter drops below 33%.</p>

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Acrobat is bad without a Berry or other consume item. Stick with either Shadow Claw or Crunch to give good coverage. Also, lacking a mixed set and a Gluttony set.

Don Honchkrorleone

Crunch sounds good, and could you please recommend a Gluttony set?
Sure:

Name: Sub Claw Sharpen
Move 1: Substitute
Move 2: Claw Sharpen
Move 3: Aqua Tail / Waterfall
Move 4: Acrobat / Brick Break / Rock Slide / Crunch
Item: Salac Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Name: Sub Nasty Plot
Move 2: Nasty Plot
Move 3: Surf
Move 4: Hidden Power Electric / Grass Knot / Focus Blast / Ice Beam
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd

Of course, if they aren't good enough, put in optional changes.

@Fizz: Edited. I just ctrl C + ctrl V.

Disregard the sets, I feel like the analysis isn't very well written. All "you" should be taken out to be a 3rd person objective writing. The writing itself isn't very formal, and it seems too casual. Also, I don't think you should be mentioning pokemon like Urugamosu and Victini in your analysis, since they won't even bother switching in.

Attack should be speed here I assume?
Yes, fixed.

Disregard the sets, I feel like the analysis isn't very well written. All "you" should be taken out to be a 3rd person objective writing. The writing itself isn't very formal, and it seems too casual. Also, I don't think you should be mentioning pokemon like Urugamosu and Victini in your analysis, since they won't even bother switching in.
Treat this like a rough draft. I'll get rid of all of the U's and take out that comment. Thank you.

Sure:

Name: Sub Claw Sharpen
Move 2: Claw Sharpen
Move 3: Aqua Tail / Waterfall
Move 4: Acrobat / Brick Break / Rock Slide / Crunch
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Name: Sub Nasty Plot
Move 2: Nasty Plot
Move 3: Surf
Move 4: Hidden Power Electric / Grass Knot / Focus Blast / Ice Beam
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd

Of course, if they aren't good enough, put in optional changes.

@Fizz: Edited. I just ctrl C + ctrl V.
Thank you very much for the sets.

SubPlot should have Substitute / Nasty Plot / Surf / (Ice Beam / Grass Knot), just like Empoleon's 2 moves with SubPetaya. Ice Beam should be primary to hit Dragons and Grass Knot is for bulky waters.

Also, Water is a fantastic offensive and defensive type (although its defenses suck). It hits most types for neutral damage after Dragon. Only Water, Grass, and Dragons resist you.

SubPlot should have Substitute / Nasty Plot / Surf / (Ice Beam / Grass Knot), just like Empoleon's 2 moves with SubPetaya. Ice Beam should be primary to hit Dragons and Grass Knot is for bulky waters.

Also, Water is a fantastic offensive and defensive type (although its defenses suck). It hits most types for neutral damage after Dragon. Only Water, Grass, and Dragons resist you.
Alright, will add.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually think Hydro Pump should get more mention, as Hiyakki's pitiful offensive stats (yes, they are pitiful) are its biggest problem. It needs all the power it can get to make a dent in threats, even with Nasty Plot.

On an realist note, the Nasty Plot set has zero chance of being effective in OU. In the whole history of 4th Gen, there were only 4 successful Nasty Plot / Swords Dance Sweepers: Garchomp, Manaphy, Lucario and Scizor. Pokemon like Infernape and Azelf had near zero chance of making it work. The lesson is that you either need (1) Massive Speed AND Massive Bulk or (2) Very Strong Priority in order to make Swords Dance / Nasty Plot work. Unlike something like Dragon Dance or Bulk Up, Nasty Plot / Swords Dance do nothing to aid your survivability.

That said, Nasty Plot is without a doubt Hiyakki's best set (even if it won't work) and should get its analysis.

BTW-- I prefer Hiyakkii. I don't understand why we don't just use the direct Romaji when trying to describe Japanese names.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yeah, Hydro Pump should certainly be mentioned especially if you don't use Life Orb because then you'll fall short against semi-bulky things like like Roobushin, Machamp and Genosect.

I also feel you've sold Gluttony a little short. I'd probably try NP/Hydro Pump/IB/GK @ Salac and Gluttony because the combination of those defenses and Gluttony mean virtually any attack in the metagame will trigger the Salac. 331 Spe is kinda unlikely to sweep in this metagame and Gluttony gives him a way around that whilst just about giving him a niche. Even if you fall a little short of 50% at first, it's likely that the perpetual sandstorm will get you there within a few turns.

Oh and why would you ever consider HP Electric over Grass Knot? Grass Knot is stronger against every Bulky Water besides Vaporeon and Gyara (who still takes 120BP from GK and won't be liking that especially after SR). I don't see the benefits and you've done nothing to inform the reader of them.

Yeah, Hydro Pump should certainly be mentioned especially if you don't use Life Orb because then you'll fall short against semi-bulky things like like Roobushin, Machamp and Genosect.

I also feel you've sold Gluttony a little short. I'd probably try NP/Hydro Pump/IB/GK @ Salac and Gluttony because the combination of those defenses and Gluttony mean virtually any attack in the metagame will trigger the Salac. 331 Spe is kinda unlikely to sweep in this metagame and Gluttony gives him a way around that whilst just about giving him a niche. Even if you fall a little short of 50% at first, it's likely that the perpetual sandstorm will get you there within a few turns.

Oh and why would you ever consider HP Electric over Grass Knot? Grass Knot is stronger against every Bulky Water besides Vaporeon and Gyara (who still takes 120BP from GK and won't be liking that especially after SR). I don't see the benefits and you've done nothing to inform the reader of them.
Thanks for the comment. Although I disagree with your gluttony comments, feel free to make a set and I'll be happy to add it. I'll also add in your comments on Grass Knot and Hidden Power electric. And Hydro Pump.

@Chou Toshio Thanks for your input. And unfortunately, there are no UU analysis open for obvious reasons, but until then he'll have to stick here. Maybe his analysis will get moved out of this scary place some day.

On an realist note, the Nasty Plot set has zero chance of being effective in OU. In the whole history of 4th Gen, there were only 4 successful Nasty Plot / Swords Dance Sweepers: Garchomp, Manaphy, Lucario and Scizor. Pokemon like Infernape and Azelf had near zero chance of making it work. The lesson is that you either need (1) Massive Speed AND Massive Bulk or (2) Very Strong Priority in order to make Swords Dance / Nasty Plot work. Unlike something like Dragon Dance or Bulk Up, Nasty Plot / Swords Dance do nothing to aid your survivability.
While I hate to derail this thread, Infernape was one of the best Swords Dance/Nasty Plot sweepers of the fourth generation. It certainly didn't have a "near zero" chance of it working.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While I enjoy your set names, we normally try to keep the names as simple as possible. The first two sets should be changed to Nasty Plot + Three Attacks (or just Nasty Plot) and Claw Sharpen + Three Attacks (or just Claw Sharpen). You also don't include "credit" for sets in your write-up. Those people have no ownership over the set and the credit will not appear on-site.

Great job..nothing else to say! I admire your dedication.
Thank you ^^

While I enjoy your set names, we normally try to keep the names as simple as possible. The first two sets should be changed to Nasty Plot + Three Attacks (or just Nasty Plot) and Claw Sharpen + Three Attacks (or just Claw Sharpen). You also don't include "credit" for sets in your write-up. Those people have no ownership over the set and the credit will not appear on-site.
Well, we'll see some other opinions on the matter. I'll also remove the credits.

I thought there already was a Hiyakkie analysis.
Nope.avi

Don Honchkrorleone

You took out my name... :)

Also, some kind of mixed set is also viable, particulary a Claw Sharpen one that takes in consideration the poor accuracy of Hydro Pump.

Oh, and I don't think that Leftovers is a good option in the first set, since he's a bit frail and needs all the power he gets. Expert Belt is fine, but you may also consider Wise Glasses and Life Orb.

Good work!

You took out my name... :)

Also, some kind of mixed set is also viable, particulary a Claw Sharpen one that takes in consideration the poor accuracy of Hydro Pump.

Oh, and I don't think that Leftovers is a good option in the first set, since he's a bit frail and needs all the power he gets. Expert Belt is fine, but you may also consider Wise Glasses and Life Orb.

Good work!
In all honesty, do you think a mixed set would be effective? In the slightest?

Maybe when Smogon opens NU analysis.

I agree with Stellar, try to use more simple/standard names..

Running Substitute doesn't mean the Pokemon needs another set. Sub NP and NP should be merged and same with Claw Sharpen; they are both extremely similar sets and there is no need to have them separated as such.

For items, Life Orb should be the main option as it really helps damage output

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)