Shell Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omastar with Shell Smash is incredibly potent under rain, so I'm strongly recommending it. The only problem is (as you would imagine) whether to run Hidden Power Grass or Electric, although I generally use Grass due to the scarcity of Gyarados nowadays.

Modest +2 LO Gorebyss OHKOs Max/Max Impish Gyarados with Hydro Pump in the rain almost all the time, so I'd imagine that Omastar can do the same. I'd run HP Grass, personally.

For the Swift Swimmers, it would be a good idea to pair them with a Pokemon that absorb Water, just so anyone with Ditto tries to get any ideas for sweeps. I'd recommend Parasect, as it resists Electric and takes nothing from Grass type moves, and it heavily takes momentum in its favor if it Substitutes on a switch, from there on, you can Spore, and start Seed stalling with Dry Skin and Leftovers immediately recovering Substitute HP. Always use Substitute first, to watch out for Sleep counters, especially Espeon, as you can just X-Scissor for a OHKO.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Luckily the distribution is really bad. The only Pokémon who can make use of it in the Standard environment are Omastar and Cloyster, and Torkoal, to some extend. If something like, let's say, Doryuuzu would get Shell Break, it would be just stupid. The rare distribution evens the move out a bit. Same goes for Butterfly Dance, the only Pokémon who can really make use of it are the firemoth and stuff like BP Venomoth.
Doryuuzu wouldn't be nearly as good if he got Shell Break instead of Swords Dance.

Also Shell Break Shelgon. You just watch. Game Freak will do it for the 3rd game just because they're Game Freak.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Doryuuzu wouldn't be nearly as good if he got Shell Break instead of Swords Dance.

Also Shell Break Shelgon. You just watch. Game Freak will do it for the 3rd game just because they're Game Freak.
Yeah...as well as Shell Break Kakuna and Metapod who are possibly the best users of the move since they can still have a net positive with Iron Defense. They can also sweep with +2 Bug Bite. -.- lol if this did happen, at least Beedrill would become another Shell Break Passer...

But seriously, lol Shelgon would acutally be pretty deadly if he got Shell Break. I hope Kingler and Crawdaunt also get this move, especially Kingler, who'd rape with it. And also, here's to hoping that Marowak's skull counts as a shell, thus giving him Shell Break!

The only way I can see something like Clamperl sweeping with this is if he comes in on a really weak Bug, Ghost, or Dark-typed move to raise his Speed with Self-Conscious, and then goes for the Shell Break while not dying in the process. Otherwise he'll be way too slow, even after a Shell Break.

This is in standard play, of course. In Little Cup, that's another story. Once Self-Conscious Clamperl gets released if it's not already, then I kind of wonder whether Clamperl even needs Shell Break to sweep. Just come in on a Bug, Ghost, or Dark attack, which isn't too hard since Clamperl's defenses actually aren't bad for Little Cup, and go for the sweep with +2 SpA, +1 Spe if you have DeepSeaTooth.

this move is really good, set up some rocks, some spikes and sweep. I beleive cloyster is the best user of shell break, Omi might be more powerful, but has a terrible typing and can easily be KO'd by a lot of priority attacks (Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave and Pullet Punch). Not only that, but Omi is also weak to ground, fighting, electric and double weak to grass, which means he might not be able to set up.

the problem with LCPErl is its bad SpDef and weakness to Grass and Electric. However, if you can pull it off Clamperl is really devastating(in theory!). And Shellder, too, has its uses with better Speed...Self-Conscious Clamperl is released, by the way, bologo. Find it in the Shining Sea!!! :) Clamperl is good in LC, and if Clamperl somehow managed to get off 2 Shell Breaks in Standard, then...nope, not gonna happen. Huntail/Gorebyss are definitely good BP options though. Gen 5, we thank you for making awful Pokemon that look cool competitively viable!!!

In Ubers, of course! But I still have to give that obligatory shudder. Please, GF, don't let Shelgon crack open its body and wreak havoc on the world!

I actually thought that would happen the moment I read Shell Break's description! XD
Thankfully, Gamefreak doesn't use the logic: "X move involves Y characteristic so that means every single Pokémon with Y characteristic gets X move." Because if every Pokémon that has a shell or hard outer layer like a cocoon and every Pokémon that evolved from one of those got Shell Break, you would get very unfitting things (as previously stated) like Shell Break Beedrill and Salamence

It would be hilarious if Shelgon did gain Shell Break in the third game.
GF does have a tendency to gradually increase the distriubtion of many previously exclusive moves.

Flavourwise, it actually fits.
Shell Break reflects the transformation from Shelgon to Salamence wherein it loses its shell in exchange for wings and monstrous offensive stats.

They should give Shelgon shell break, but it can only learn it at level 100, meaning salamence can't receive it, keeping it from being too broken.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh right yeah. Then give it to Bagon as a level 100 move.
Then just breed 2 male and female level 100 Bagons together that have Shell Break and little baby level 1 Bagon will have Shell Break too due to it being a level up move...

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh right yeah. Then give it to Bagon as a level 100 move.
But if you entire point of giving Bagon/Shelgon is flavor, then it doesn't fit for Bagon to learn Shell Break; the only thing Bagon has that even slightly resembles a shell is its head, which doesn't really look like a shell.

And Shell Break Shellder is just ridiculous.

I think Shell Break is a rather powerful move. It has it's drawbacks, but those can be rectified by having a white herb, right? Imagine having to deal with a cloyster who not was able to successfully set it up, but also didn't have to worry about it's defense drops.

Also, if someone said this in the past five pages I don't really care, because honestly I didn't feel like looking through all of them to see if someone posted this. If they did then oh well! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)