Abagoora (Placeholder)

Taking over from uragg.

Abagoora

[Overview]
  • Horrific defensive typing and Special Defense, but great HP, Defense, and ability in Solid Rock.
  • Good offensive STABs and pretty narrow but good enough physical movepool to go with its good Attack.
  • Slow Speed hampers it, but doesn't kill its viability
  • Access to Shell Break
[SET]
name: CurseTle
move 1: Curse
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Earthquake / Waterfall / Crunch
nature: Adamant / Careful
item: Leftovers
ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 SpD

Set Comments
  • This set aims to take advantage of Abagoora's considerable bulk and attempts to boost up and sweep.
  • Curse boosts Abagoora's already awesome Defense (no investment needed) and makes it into an offensive force while dropping its already useless Speed.
  • Stone Edge provides a "reliable" and powerful STAB attack while Aqua Jet serves as secondary STAB and priority (Curse + priority = awesome)
  • Last move provides coverage: Earthquake hits Steel-types and some other stuff harder than Aqua Jet does, Crunch handles Ghost-types (although they are likely to Will-o-Wisp Abagoora before it can hit them), and Waterall provides a powerful and more reliable secondary STAB option.

Additional Comments

• Fairly weak to special attacks, and extremely weak to Grass types like Shaymin-S, so pack a good Fire Pokemon.
  • Special attackers should be eliminated beforehand if you plan on sweeping, even with investment.
  • Sandstorm support is nice, boosting its Sp.Def and racking up residual damage on opponents.

[SET]
name: Physical Wall
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Stone Edge / Knock Down
move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Toxic / Earthquake
nature: Relaxed
item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Set Comments

Easily holds more physical defense than other physical walls, with decent attacking prowess to back it up
Weaknesses are softened by Solid Rock to aid survivability

Additional Comments

Special Grass Types kill this so Sandstorm and/or a good Fire or Ice type is nigh on mandatory

[SET]
name: Shell Break
move 1: Shell Break
move 2: Waterfall/ Aqua Jet
move 4: Earthquake
nature: Adamant
item: Life Orb/ White Herb
ability: Sturdy / Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed

Set Comments

Additional Comments

White Herb can be if you don't want to chip at that awesome Defense
Sand is a must to boost Special Defense
Sturdy vs. Solid Rock: Sturdy allows you to always set up in case of an OHKO move, though Solid Rock is useful if you are in on a weaker opponent so as to live longer

[SET]
name: Mixed Shell Break
move 4: Blizzard / Focus Blast
nature: Naive
item: Life Orb / White Herb
EVs: 52 Atk / 200 / 252 Spe

Set Description

• Reaches incredible offenses after one Shell Break
  • Usually goes last so it doesn't have to worry about its cut defenses
  • STAB priority coming off of 530 Attack is Certainly nothing to scoff at
  • Stone Edge provides decent coverage

Additional Comments

• Outspeeds All variants of non-boosted Jaroda
  • Focus Blast hits Steels and Rocks, as well as Darkrai for SE damage
  • Blizzard does a lot of damage to Grounds, and takes care of Grass Pokemon which are normally a big threat

[SET]
name: Sandstorm Special Wall

Team Options

Optional Changes

Dream World

I kinda miss a mixed shell breaker so far.. I use one with great success and would ask you to also try it for this.

[SET]
name: Mixed Shell Break
move 4: Blizzard / Focus Blast
nature: Naive
item: Life Orb / White Herb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

A few information about it:
- Nature and EVs lets you outspeed max Spe Jaroda (or however you guys call it here) by 1 point after one Shell Break
- gives you opportunity to set up SB easily as most things outrun you before it, which means you still have your 'natural' Defenses which is quite good
- Shell Break for obvious reasons
- minus SpD nature as you don't need that stat anyways
- Aqua Jet for any other priority user like Roopushin / Scizor etc. Though it's probably no KO from full but you can do good damage so prior work on them is needed and helps for a potential late game sweep.
- Stone Edge = STAB and coverage
- last slot matter of preference: Focus Blast is best for bulky Steels and Darks such as Ttar, Empoleon (which walls both STABs) Registell etc. plus it's your best bet against Nattorei. Blizzard easily KOs Standard Hippo as well as most Grass-Type bar Nattorei thanks to effectively 406 SpA after Shell Break (527 with LifeOrb).

I have run a few quick damage calcs, and it turs out that this guy can shut down scarf/cb tar without many problems. Thats if you are running a fairly heavily defensive set on a + def nature though. Even with that you can still get a 2HKO on tar without any real danger posed to the turtle man. I might do some more numbers and post a set later.

I love the Shell Break set! I actually used that one without realizing it. But you should use a Jolly nature so that he can out-speed Pokemon like Garchomp without Scarf or boost (Garchomp usually doesn't run Scarf from the experiences I've had with him. Really, it's either Life Orb or Leftovers). Base 32 Speed is horrendous, yes. But with Jolly and one Shell Break, he hits 358 Speed. For team options, Sandstorm is a must. With Sandstorm, neutral Sp. Def reaches 250. This is still low and why Dual Screen Support is appreciated as well.

try 2 of my sets. god this thing has as many options as Salamence

Skinny Dipper

Abagoora@Life Orb/White Herb
Swift Swim, Adamant
252 Atk, 184 Hp, 72 Spe
-Shell Break
-Stone Edge
-EQ
-Aqua Jet/Waterfall

This set is used to utilize pre-rain, and is what gives Abagoora a Shell Break advantage over Cloyster. Shell Break and Swift Swim along with with 72 Spe EVs give him 496 Speed, enough to outspeed +natured choice scarfed base 100's. Stone Edge/EQ for EdgeQuake, and Aqua Jet/Waterfall for STAB water in the rain, making a 2.25x boost. Aqua Jet is preferred to ensure non-Extremespeed priority moves dont hit it. Though, it can laugh off a NVE Extremespeed with its base 133 Def, even when -1. Waterfall should only be used if you are certain that you can eliminate all priority attackers before sending Abagoora out. 184 Hp EVs ensures that it is as bulky as possible, just in case of priority attacks that manage to hit it. Utilizing this set is simple, after the physical wall has been destroyed, send out Abagoora. From here, he can strip down to the nude with a Shell Break, and then sweep. White Herb is a choice vs LO, to eliminate stat drops caused by Shell Break

CB:

Abagoora@Choice Band
Solid Rock, Adamant
252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
-Aqua Jet/Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Crunch

Slow, can take a hit like a champ, and makes babies cry. Abagoora has a low enough speed that any investment in it's speed other than to outpace other Abagoora futile. therefore, it's Ev's are placed in Atk (duh) and Hp, for the most survivability. The last one is put in SpD, due to it being his lower defensive stat. Aqua Jet/Waterfall for STAB, Aqua Jet is preferred here, as it bypasses his slow speed. Stone Edge and EQ for EdgeQuake coverage, and Crunch ftw.

Is Hidden Power Fire an option on the Shell break set? Nattorie is EXTREMELY common who completely shuts you down otherwise. Also it NEEDS Aqua Jet its too frikking slow and revenge kill bait. A-Jet at least helps with scarfers and other things with priority.

A-Jet/Stone Edge/Shell Break/HP Fire or Waterfall seem to work rather well. I cant really decide in the last slot. On one hand HP Fire nails bulky steels whilst Waterfall destroys bulky grounds who have the bulk to take A-Jets.

I also agree with CB set, when i used it i dropped Crunch though since it doesnt really cover much at all. Id much sooner have both Waterfall for solid STAB and A-Jet for revenge killing utility.

Haven't been able to get to this for some time now, with school and surgery and all. :/
Anyways, now that the Zapdos analysis is completely done, I think its safe to say the skeleton will be done by Wednesday.

*sighs*
'Fraid to say I don't really know what to do, how to do this, and why I'm writing this. In other words, don't got the heart. It's better off in someone else's hands. Locking, contact me on IRC if you wanna take this over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)