Escavalier (Analysis) [GP 0/2]

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

Shubarugo

[Overview]

<p>Sporting a huge Attack stat, good defenses and the ever-useful Bug/Steel-typing, one would be forgiven for expecting great things from this guy. Unfortunately, its pitiful movepool and abysmal speed will likely condemn it to life in the shadow of its fellow Bug/Steel: Scizor. However, thanks to its access to Megahorn, Shubarugo can pull off some herculean feats that Scizor could only dream of, such as 2HKOing Hippowdon and Suicune with a Choice Band equipped. Shubarugo also boasts a notably higher Special Defense stat than Scizor, allowing it to function as a much safer switch-in to the likes of Latios and Gengar. It will always face stiff competition from Scizor, but Shubarugo is a respectable tank in its own right, capable of countering some huge threats and punishing any team that doesn't pack a very bulky Bug resist.<p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Megahorn
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Return
move 4: Knock Off / Rock Smash / Reversal
nature: Adamant
ability: Shell Armor
item: Choice Band
evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Megahorn is the star of the show here, dealing absurd amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it and 2HKOing quite a few things that do. For example, 252/0 Machamp is always 2HKO'd by it and even 252/220 Bold Zapdos risks a 2HKO if it switches into Megahorn whilst Stealth Rock is in play. Pursuit is here to assist Shubarugo with countering Latios, effortlessly OHKOing him if he attempts to flee, whilst also being useful against Gengar, Deoxys, Alakazam, Latias and many more. The third moveslot is the first of two moveslots that could be described as being 'filler.' A non-STABed Return is the calling card of a Pokemon with a terrible movepool but it's probably Shubarugo's best option in this slot thanks to its ability to land a solid hit on most Flying- and Fire-types. Notable perks of Return include OHKOing Blaziken and Borutorosu after Stealth Rock. The fourth moveslot is Shubarugo's attempt at inconviencing Steel-type switch-ins. As sad as it is, Knock Off is likely Shubarugo's best option against Skarmory whereas Rock Smash can be used to deal up to 50% to offensive Heatran. Reversal is a slightly more maverick option but it has the potential to become overwhelmingly powerful as Shubarugo's HP decreases. Unfortunately, Shubarugo's awful speed makes it difficult for him to effectively use this attack.<p>

<p>Before putting Shubarugo on your team you need to consider if Scizor will do a better job. Whilst Scizor has better speed, Technician Bullet Punch, Superpower and U-turn, Shubarugo has an immensely powerful Megahorn and better bulk, especially on the special side. The latter of Shubarugo's selling points becomes even more advantageous in this Dragon-type filled metagame as he can put that precious Dragon-resist to better use. For example, 248/0 Scizor is always 2HKO'd by Latios Choice Specs Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock. Shubarugo, on the other hand, will always survive in the same scenario even if Latios rolls maximum damage on both turns. Other advantages include never being 2HKO'd by Gengar's Focus Blast even after Stealth Rock, being able to guarantee survival against a Kingdra Rain-boosted Life Orb Surf after Stealth Rock, and even surviving Timid Magnezone's Hidden Power Fire over 92% of the time.<p>

[ADDITONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs minimise damage taken from residual damage, and the 4 Spe EVs are used to outrun non Gyro Ball variants of Nattorei who, assuming a 252 / 60 spread, will lose up to 84% of its health from Megahorn. If you would like to take better advantage of Shubarugo's bulk an alternative spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SpD / 4 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used. The Attack investment ensures that Pursuit will still OHKO a fleeing Latios, with the rest poured into Special Defense. Advantages of this include never being 2HKO'd by Choice Specs Latios Surf after Stealth Rock and guaranteeing survival against a Life Orb Shell Break Cloyster's Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock. Another potential tweak that could be made to Shubarugo's stat spread would be using a Brave (or Sassy) nature and lowering the Speed IV to 0. This is only reccomended if you intend on using him with Trick Room support or are looking for some kind of insurance against opposing Trick Room teams.<p>

[Team Options]

<p>Defensively speaking, the best partner for Shubarugo is one that can absorb the Fire attacks that he will inevitably lure. Ideally, the partner will also be able to come in on bulky Bug-resists such as Skarmory, Heatran, Forretress and Dusknoir. Heatran immediately springs to mind as he can nab a boost thanks to its Flash Fire ability and threaten the aforementioned Pokemon. Starmie is also a good candidate thanks to its Fire resistance and powerful special attacks - it can also use Rapid Spin to clear away any entry hazards that Skarmory and Forretress set up. If you're looking for a more defensive partner, Vaporeon is a decent option and can use Wish to restore Shubarugo's HP.<p>

<p>If you're looking to turn Shubarugo's horrible speed to your advantage on a Trick Room team, then Rankurusu is the ideal partner. Rankurusu can use Magic Guard and its good bulk to set up Trick Room whilst also luring Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-type attacks for Shubarugo to switch in on and begin spamming Megahorn. Shubarugo can also function well in the Rain thanks to its ability to destroy common obstacles to Rain Dance teams such as Nattorei, Blissey, and Celebi. Rain Dance also halves damage taken by Fire-type attacks, allowing Shubarugo to survive otherwise fatal attacks such as Sazandora's Fire Blast.<p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Shubarugo learns Iron Head but, outside of OHKOing Terakion, it doesn't serve much purpose. Shubarugo can also use Swords Dance to boost its Attack but don't expect to do much sweeping with 20 Base Spe; it would be best to leave that role to Scizor. Swarm is a fine replacement for Shell Armor on the Choice Band set - a Choice Band Swarm boosted Megahorn is incredibly powerful but it's not as consistently useful as Shell Armor since attacks such as Latios' Choice Specs Draco Meteor will OHKO Shubarugo if they land a Critical Hit. Double-edge is an option over Return if you're willing to trade in survivability for power but, generally speaking, Shubarugo appreciates its bulk too much to throw it away on recoil.<p>

[Counters]

<p>Shubarugo's Choice Band Megahorn is so incredibly powerful that the only Pokemon that can switch into it safely are physically defensive Pokemon with a resistance to Bug-type attacks. Skarmory is the perfect counter, with even a Swarm boosted Choice Band Megahorn barely 5HKOing the tin bird. The best Shubarugo can manage is to Knock Off Skarmory's item whilst Skarmory sets up entry hazards or attacks with Brave Bird. Ghost-types such as Dusknoir or a physically defensive Burengeru can come in on Megahorn and use Will-o-Wisp to cripple Shubarugo. Hippowdon is always 2HKO'd by Megahorn but he can come in on it if he's healthy and spam Slack Off until Shubarugo eventually misses. A Critical Hit will spend the end for Hippowdon, however. Heatran is a more offensively minded counter since, thanks to his 4x resistance to Megahorn and good defense, he can come in on Shubarugo all day and threaten it with STAB Fire attacks. 252 / 0 Roobushin loses up to 48% of its health from Megahorn but, since it's faster than Shubarugo, it can Bulk Up to cushion the next hit and attack with Drain Punch.<p>

<p>Anything with a reasonably powerful Fire attack can revenge kill Shubarugo and sweepers with Bug-type resists such as Urugamosu and Doryuuzu can come in after a kill and attempt to set up on a Choice-locked Shubarugo.<p>

[Dream World]

<p>For Shubarugo, the Dream World is more of a nightmare. Dust Proof is a near-useless ability for a Pokemon that is already unaffected by Sandstorm but that's not the problem. The real problem is Shadow Tag Shandera who, thanks to its 4x Bug resistance and STAB Fire attacks, is a complete full-stop to Shubarugo.<p>

Lee

@ Thick Club
This is done.

'and the 4 Spe EVs are used to outrun...Nattorei '

lol, that made me smile. ^_^

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most of the current "its" in this write-up were "it's" before, and they were grammatically wrong. I corrected those as well as a few extra spaces between words and such. Other than that, this looks great, Lee. I'm wondering if you'd be down to write the other sets proposed here if QC approves of them. In that case, let me know and I'll assign them to you as soon as they pass the QC stage. Just and idea, good work here ;)

I haven't used this guy (solely because his terrible movepool), but I would assume Reversal would be a better option, with proper prediction. Shubarugo has excellent defenses and typing, and will take small(ish) amounts of damage from any attack that's not Fire type, which can easily bring Shubarugo to less than 35%. That was really poorly worded, but I hope you know what I mean.

I don't understand the competitive viability of Rock Smash. While Reversal will do more damage at any percent of max HP under 35% (80 Base Power), it will be doing the exact same amount of damage (40 Base Power) from up to 70% of max HP. With neutrality to Stealth Rock, susceptibility to Spikes, and the fact that Shubarugo is probably best used as a pivot, the only benefit to using Rock Smash is the defense reduction for a switch-in to use (and it's not even a given that your switch-in will be physical).

-Zane

P.S. I'm basically just saying that Reversal should come first.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Sure, Setsuna. My own experience though is that the other sets are quite underwhelming. I used the Swords Dance set a little and was reminded firsthand that Fire attacks are very common in this metagame due to stuff like Nattorei and Doryuuzu so it was nigh on impossible to do anything worthwhile before being forced to switch out. The Bait and Switch set usually just resulted in Nattorei and Skarmory switching in, going 'oh well' when they lost their Leftovers and just laying down entry hazards as I was forced to switch out and waste my Substitute. I'll be happy to reconsider if QC finds some merit in them that I didn't though.

Yeah Zane, you're probably right. I was far too busy spamming Megahorn and occassionally picking things off with Pursuit to properly test the value of the filler moves hehe.

This is a necrobump, but I would go ahead and change the first set to Brave, 0 Speed EVs, 2 Speed IV. Shubarugo really won't be outspeeding anything in the first place, but with these changes it outpaces OTR Reuniclus and Bronzong under Trick Room and can deal massive damage to both, and it is more effective under Trick Room in general. The reason it is not a 0 Speed IV is to outrun Ferrothorn before it can set up further.

Second, I'm not sure how worthy this is of mention but I'd like to recommend the following spread, taking a page out of specially defensive Scizor's book from Gen 4:

Careful
176 HP / 152 Atk / 180 SpD

It guarantees Shubarugo's survival through 2 consecutive Choice Specs Surfs from Latios while Shubarugo will retain the OHKO with fleeing Pursuit. CB Megahorn is still 2HKOing Max/Max Bold Suicune 95% of the time factoring in Stealth Rock + Leftovers, so while it is less powerful, it does retain considerable punch. In comparison to the current spread aside from surviving SpecsLatios Surf, it also avoids the 2HKO from LO Gengar's Focus Blast, is much less likely to be 2HKOd by LO Thunderbolt from Voltolos, avoids the 2HKO from Reuniclus' +1 Focus Blast (which is important given Megahorn's shaky accuracy), and other assorted things.

I'm not suggesting it be made the main option, as the point of CB is to attack, but perhaps mention in AC?

Lee

@ Thick Club
I would go ahead and change the first set to Brave, 0 Speed EVs, 2 Speed IV.
Agreed. OTR Rank wasn't such a big thing when I wrote this. I did have a TR spread in AC, but I'll bump it up to the primary option.

Second, I'm not sure how worthy this is of mention but I'd like to recommend the following spread, taking a page out of specially defensive Scizor's book from Gen 4:

Careful
176 HP / 152 Atk / 180 SpD
I don't know if you spotted it but I already suggested an alternative spread. '248 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SpD / 4 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used.' Since we're changing the Speed IVs, I'll make that 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 SpD.

Your spread gives 325 HP / 344 Atk / 320 SpD. My spread gives 343 HP / 343 Atk / 305 SpD.

Here's the defensive tiers of your spread:

Physical - 118.44
Special - 121.20

Here's the defensive tiers of my spread:

Physical - 119.01
Special - 121.26

So my spread takes hits better on both sides of the spectrum. Granted it has one less Atk point, but I could move 4 EVs over to Atk and still take hits better both physically and specially. I just settled for 343 Atk because that's the necessary stat to guarantee an OHKO on a switching Latios.

Will make the changes later, on an iPod atm.

Are Megahorn, Pursuit, and Knock Off all viable moves on the same moveset? As far as I'm aware it's not possible to breed all 3 of them onto Escavalier.

I'd like to add a new suggestion in favour of a Sub/Swords Dance independent set due to quite some considerable personal success as of late with it. I know you made a passing mention but as of the time speaking its actually now the dominant Esca set on the PO server trumping even CBvalier.

[SET]
name: Stallbreaker
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Substitute
nature: Adamant/Brave
ability: Swarm
item: Leftovers
evs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpD

The EV's can probably do with work, I have a feeling they can be optimized further to be more defensive.

Whilst most stallbreakers choose to aim for weaknesses to open up a hole this thing just goes for raw power. The ammount of defensive Pokemon this thing can 2HKO or OHKO is amazing, after +2 most average Gliscors except for full defensive are 2HKO'd.

However thanks to Gliscors new higher offense and poison heal stall tactics this gen it often feels its free to be less defensive making things easier. After Swarm activation Gliscor is good as dead if its not at completely clean health. It can also easily come in on most Ferrothorns setup a Sub and Swords Dance or attack threatening with a OHKO or crippling the next switch in. Theres probably another ton of stuff it breaks apart but I don't have time to get calcs since its actually easier to remember what doesn't get crippled.

Provided you get SR up in advance Pursuit won't kill a running Latios but the passive damage will finish it off. It also pairs up very nicely with any standard Skarm or Heatran counter due to the fact they are the only things with any chance of switching into a +2 Megahorn. The advantage is at +2 and or hiding behind a Sub makes it so much easier to break down some of the other things which would normally switch in.

I use this as my personal set.

Adamant@leftovers
252HP/Atk 4 Speed
Megahorn
Iron head
Pursuit/Rock Smash/ Reversal
Screech

Double Stab is highly useful and I use Screech over Swords Dance if this pokemon is KO'd I can switch in to another Physical sweeper as revenge.

Shubarugo

[Overview]

<p>Sporting a huge Attack stat, good defenses,and the ever-useful Bug/Steel-typing, one would be forgiven for expecting great things from this guy. Unfortunately, its pitiful movepool and abysmal speed will likely condemn it to life in the shadow of its fellow Bug/Steel: Scizor. However, thanks to its access to Megahorn, Shubarugo Escavalier can pull off some herculean feats that Scizor could only dream of, such as 2HKOing Hippowdon and Suicune with a Choice Band equipped. Shubarugo Escavalier also boasts a notably higher Special Defense stat than Scizor, allowing it to function as a much safer switch-in to the likes of Latios and Gengar. It will always face stiff competition from Scizor, but Shubarugo Escavalier is a respectable tank in its own right, capable of countering some huge threats and punishing any team that doesn't pack a very bulky Bug resist.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Megahorn is the star of the show here, dealing absurd amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it and 2HKOing quite a few things that do. For example, 252/0 Machamp is always 2HKO'd by it and even 252/220 Bold Zapdos risks a 2HKO if it switches into Megahorn whilst Stealth Rock is in play. Pursuit is here to assist Shubarugo Escavalier with countering Latios, effortlessly OHKOing him if he attempts to flee, whilst also being useful against Gengar, Deoxys, Alakazam, Latias, and many more. The third moveslot is the first of two moveslots that could be described as being 'filler.' A non-STABed Return is the calling card of a Pokemon with a terrible movepool, but it's probably Shubarugo's best option in this slot thanks to its ability to land a solid hit on most Flying- and Fire-types. Notable perks of Return include OHKOing Blaziken and Borutorosu Thundurus after Stealth Rock. The fourth moveslot is Shubarugo's Escavalier's attempt at inconviencing Steel-type switch-ins. As sad as it is, Knock Off is likely Shubarugo's Escavalier's best option against Skarmory whereas Rock Smash can be used to deal up to 50% to offensive Heatran. Reversal is a slightly more maverick option but it has the potential to become overwhelmingly powerful as Shubarugo's Escavalier's HP decreases. Unfortunately, Shubarugo's Escavalier's awful speed makes it difficult for him to effectively use this attack.</p>

<p>Before putting Shubarugo Escavalier on your team you need to consider if Scizor will do a better job. Whilst Scizor has better speed, Technician Bullet Punch, Superpower, and U-turn, Shubarugo Escavalier has an immensely powerful Megahorn and better bulk, especially on the special side. The latter of Shubarugo's Escavalier's selling points becomes even more advantageous in this Dragon-type filled metagame as he can put that precious Dragon-resist to better use. For example, 248/0 Scizor is always 2HKO'd by Latios Choice Specs Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock. Shubarugo Escavalier, on the other hand, will always survive in the same scenario even if Latios rolls maximum damage on both turns. Other advantages include never being 2HKO'd by Gengar's Focus Blast even after Stealth Rock, being able to guarantee survival against a Kingdra Rain-boosted Life Orb Surf after Stealth Rock, and even surviving Timid Magnezone's Hidden Power Fire over 92% of the time.</p>

[ADDITONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs minimise damage taken from residual damage, and the 4 Spe EVs are used to outrun non Gyro Ball variants of Nattorei Ferrothorn who, assuming a 252 / 60 spread, will lose up to 84% of its health from Megahorn. If you would like to take better advantage of Shubarugo's Escavalier's bulk, an alternative spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SpD / 4 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used. The Attack investment ensures that Pursuit will still OHKO a fleeing Latios, with the rest poured into Special Defense. Advantages of this include never being 2HKO'd by Choice Specs Latios Surf after Stealth Rock and guaranteeing survival against a Life Orb Shell Break Cloyster's Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock. Another potential tweak that could be made to Shubarugo's Escavalier's stat spread would be using a Brave (or Sassy) nature and lowering the Speed IV to 0. This is only reccomended if you intend on using him with Trick Room support or are looking for some kind of insurance against opposing Trick Room teams.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Defensively speaking, the best partner for Shubarugo is one that can absorb the Fire attacks that he will inevitably lure. Ideally, the partner will also be able to come in on bulky Bug-resists such as Skarmory, Heatran, Forretress and Dusknoir. Heatran immediately springs to mind as he can nab a boost thanks to its Flash Fire ability and threaten the aforementioned Pokemon. Starmie is also a good candidate thanks to its Fire resistance and powerful special attacks - it can also use Rapid Spin to clear away any entry hazards that Skarmory and Forretress set up. If you're looking for a more defensive partner, Vaporeon is a decent option and can use Wish to restore Shubarugo's HP.<p>

<p>If you're looking to turn Shubarugo's horrible speed to your advantage on a Trick Room team, then Rankurusu is the ideal partner. Rankurusu can use Magic Guard and its good bulk to set up Trick Room whilst also luring Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-type attacks for Shubarugo to switch in on and begin spamming Megahorn. Shubarugo can also function well in the Rain thanks to its ability to destroy common obstacles to Rain Dance teams such as Nattorei, Blissey, and Celebi. Rain Dance also halves damage taken by Fire-type attacks, allowing Shubarugo to survive otherwise fatal attacks such as Sazandora's Fire Blast.<p>

[Optional Changes Other Options]

<p>Shubarugo Escavalier learns Iron Head but, outside of OHKOing Terakion Terrakion, it doesn't serve much purpose. Shubarugo Escavalier can also use Swords Dance to boost its Attack, but don't expect to do much sweeping with 20 Base Speed; it would be best to leave that role to Scizor. Swarm is a fine replacement for Shell Armor on the Choice Band set - a Choice Band Swarm boosted Megahorn is incredibly powerful but it's not as consistently useful as Shell Armor since attacks such as Latios' Choice Specs Draco Meteor will OHKO Shubarugo Escavalier if they land a Critical Hit. Double-edge is an option over Return if you're willing to trade in survivability for power, but, generally speaking, Shubarugo Escavalier appreciates its bulk too much to throw it away on recoil.</p>

[Chceck and Counters]

<p>Shubarugo's Escavalier's Choice Band Megahorn is so incredibly powerful that the only Pokemon that can switch into it safely are physically defensive Pokemon with a resistance to Bug-type attacks. Skarmory is the perfect counter, with even a Swarm boosted Choice Band Megahorn barely 5HKOing the tin bird. The best Shubarugo Escavalier can manage is to Knock Off Skarmory's item whilst Skarmory sets up entry hazards or attacks with Brave Bird. Ghost-types such as Dusknoir or a physically defensive Burengeru Jellicent can come in on Megahorn and use Will-o-Wisp to cripple Shubarugo. Hippowdon is always 2HKO'd by Megahorn but he can come in on it if he's healthy and spam Slack Off until Shubarugo Escavalier eventually misses. A Critical Hit will spend the end for Hippowdon, however. Heatran is a more offensively minded counter since, thanks to his 4x resistance to Megahorn and good defense, he can come in on Shubarugo Escavalier all day and threaten it with STAB Fire attacks. 252 / 0 Roobushin Conkeldurr loses up to 48% of its health from Megahorn but, since it's faster than Shubarugo Escavalier, it can Bulk Up to cushion the next hit and attack with Drain Punch.</p>

<p>Anything with a reasonably powerful Fire attack can revenge kill Shubarugo Escavalier and sweepers with Bug-type resists such as Urugamosu and Doryuuzu can come in after a kill and attempt to set up on a Choice-locked Shubarugo Escavalier.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>For Shubarugo Escavalier, the Dream World is more of a nightmare. Dust Proof is a near-useless ability for a Pokemon that is already unaffected by Sandstorm but that's not the problem. The real problem is Shadow Tag Shandera Chandelure who, thanks to its 4x Bug resistance and STAB Fire attacks, is a complete full-stop to Shubarugo Escavalier.</p>
Add
Remove

My grammar can beat up your grammar!
Waaaaaah, I'm telling on you!
Oh, you two are always bickering...

Shubarugo Escavalier (I don't think it turns green because it's hyperlinked, but correct this too)

[Overview]

<p>Sporting a huge Attack stat, good defenses and the ever-useful Bug/Steel-typing, one would be forgiven for expecting great things from this guy. Unfortunately, its pitiful movepool and abysmal speed will likely condemn it to life in the shadow of its fellow Bug/Steel: Scizor. However, thanks to its access to Megahorn, Shubarugo Escavalier can pull off some herculean feats that Scizor could only dream of, such as 2HKOing Hippowdon and Suicune with a Choice Band equipped. Shubarugo Escavalier also boasts a notably higher Special Defense stat than Scizor, allowing it to function as a much safer switch-in to the likes of Latios and Gengar. It will always face stiff competition from Scizor, but Shubarugo Escavalier is a respectable tank in its own right, capable of countering some huge threats and punishing any team that doesn't pack a very bulky Bug resist ("resister" may be better. up to you, though).<p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Megahorn is the star of the show here, dealing absurd amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it and 2HKOing quite a few things that do. For example, 252/0 Machamp is always 2HKO'd 2HKOed by it, (comma) and even 252/220 Bold Zapdos risks a 2HKO if it switches into Megahorn whilst Stealth Rock is in play. Pursuit is here to assist Shubarugo with countering Latios, effortlessly OHKOing him if he attempts to flee, whilst while (repetition of the same word. completely optional change) also being useful against Gengar, Deoxys-S, Alakazam, (not competitive) Latias and many more. The third moveslot is the first of two moveslots that could be described as being 'filler.' (honestly unneeded, but it can be left in if you remove "being") A non-STABed Return is the calling card of a Pokemon with a terrible movepool but it's probably Shubarugo's Escavalier's best option in this slot thanks to its ability to land a solid hit on most Flying- and Fire-types. Notable perks A notable perk of Return include is OHKOing Blaziken and (now uber) Borutorosu Thundurus after Stealth Rock. The fourth moveslot is Shubarugo's attempt at inconviencing Steel-type switch-ins. As sad as it is, Knock Off is likely Shubarugo's best option against Skarmory, (comma) whereas Rock Smash can be used to deal up to 50% to offensive Heatran. Reversal is a slightly more maverick option but it has the potential to become overwhelmingly powerful as Shubarugo's Escavalier's HP decreases. Unfortunately, Shubarugo's Escavalier's awful speed makes it difficult for him to effectively use this attack.<p>

<p>Before putting Shubarugo Escavalier on your team, (comma) you need to consider if Scizor will do a better job. Whilst Scizor has better speed, Technician Bullet Punch, Superpower and U-turn, Shubarugo Escavalier has an immensely powerful Megahorn and better bulk, especially on the special side. The latter of Shubarugo's Escavalier's selling points becomes even more advantageous in this Dragon-type filled metagame as he can put that precious Dragon-resist to better use. For example, 248/0 Scizor is always 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Latios' (apostrophe) Choice Specs Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock. Shubarugo Escavalier, on the other hand, will always survive in the same scenario even if Latios rolls maximum damage on both turns. Other advantages include never being 2HKO'd by Gengar's Focus Blast even after Stealth Rock, being able to guarantee survival against a Kingdra Rain-boosted Life Orb Surf after Stealth Rock (consider removing this, with Aldaron's proposal now in effect), and even surviving Timid Magnezone's Hidden Power Fire over 92% of the time.<p>

[ADDITONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs minimise damage taken from residual damage entry hazards, and the 4 Speed EVs are used to outrun non Gyro Ball variants of Nattorei Ferrothorn who, assuming a 252 / 60 48, positive nature spread, will lose up to 84% at least 98% of its health from Megahorn. (like the Stoutland analysis, this is standard Ferrothorn. But these calculations are so drastically different, and I'm wondering if it's my calculator, or something... it may be worth a double check). If you would like to take better advantage of Shubarugo's Escavalier's bulk, (comma) an alternative spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SpD / 4 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used. The Attack investment ensures that Pursuit will still OHKO a fleeing Latios, with the rest poured into Special Defense. Advantages of this include never being 2HKO'd by Choice Specs Latios Surf after Stealth Rock and guaranteeing survival against a Life Orb Shell Break Cloyster's Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock. Another potential tweak that could be made to Shubarugo's Escavalier's stat spread would be using a Brave (or Sassy) nature and lowering the Speed IV to 0. This is only reccomended (spelling) if you intend on using him with Trick Room support or are looking for some kind of insurance against opposing Trick Room teams.<p>

[Team Options] (same as Stoutland, this would be fine in Additional Comments)

<p>Defensively speaking, the best partner for Shubarugo Escavalier is one that can absorb the Fire attacks that he it will inevitably lure. Ideally, the partner will also be able to come in on bulky Bug-resists such as Skarmory, Heatran, Forretress and Dusknoir. Heatran immediately springs to mind as he can nab a boost thanks to its Flash Fire ability and threaten the aforementioned Pokemon. Starmie is also a good candidate thanks to its Fire-type resistance and powerful special attacks - it can also use Rapid Spin to clear away any entry hazards that Skarmory and Forretress set up. If you're looking for a more defensive partner, Vaporeon is a decent option and can use Wish to restore Shubarugo's Escavalier's HP.<p>

<p>If you're looking to turn Shubarugo's Escavalier's horrible speed to your advantage on a Trick Room team, then Rankurusu Reuniclus is the ideal partner. Rankurusu Reuniclus can use Magic Guard and its good bulk to set up Trick Room whilst also luring Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-type attacks for Shubarugo Escavalier to switch in on and begin spamming Megahorn. (perhaps mention how Reuniclus can also absorb Will-o-Wisp... but that's just my opinion) Shubarugo Escavalier can also function well in the Rain rain thanks to its ability to destroy common obstacles to Rain Dance teams such as Nattorei Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Celebi. Rain Dance The rain also halves damage taken by Fire-type attacks, allowing Shubarugo Escavalier to survive otherwise fatal attacks such as Sazandora's Hydreigon's Fire Blast. (Hydreigon has a lot of sets. Do you mean Choice Scarf? The other sets run Flamethrower. It may be worthy of elaboration, but it's not critical, really.)<p>

[Optional Changes] [Other Options]

<p>Shubarugo Escavalier learns Iron Head but, outside of OHKOing Terakion Terrakion, it doesn't serve much purpose. Shubarugo Escavalier can also use Swords Dance to boost its Attack but don't expect to do much sweeping with 20 Base Spe; it would be best to leave that role to Scizor. Swarm is a fine replacement for Shell Armor on the Choice Band set - a Choice Band Swarm boosted Megahorn is incredibly powerful but it's not as consistently useful as Shell Armor since attacks such as Latios' Choice Specs Draco Meteor will OHKO Shubarugo Escavalier if they land a Critical Hit critical hit. Double-edge is an option over Return if you're willing to trade in survivability for power but, generally speaking, Shubarugo Escavalier appreciates its bulk too much to throw it away on recoil.<p>

[Counters] [Checks & Counters]

<p>Shubarugo's Escavalier's Choice Band Megahorn is so incredibly powerful that the only Pokemon that can switch into it safely are physically defensive Pokemon with a resistance to Bug-type attacks. Skarmory is the perfect counter, with as even a Swarm boosted Choice Band Megahorn barely 5HKOing 5HKOes the tin bird. The best Shubarugo Escavalier can manage is to Knock Off Skarmory's item whilst Skarmory sets up entry hazards or attacks with Brave Bird. Ghost-types such as Dusknoir or a physically defensive Burengeru Jellicent can come in on Megahorn and use Will-o-Wisp to cripple Shubarugo Escavalier (offensive Dusknoir can simply outspeed it [LOL] and KO with Fire Punch. maybe mention Dusclops, too). Hippowdon is always 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Megahorn but he can come in on it if he's healthy and spam Slack Off until Shubarugo Escavalier eventually misses. A Critical Hit will spend the end for Hippowdon, however. (2HKO implies that a critical hit will kill it. so... yeah.) Heatran is a more offensively minded counter since, thanks to his 4x resistance to Megahorn and good defense, he can come in on Shubarugo Escavalier all day and threaten it with STAB Fire-type attacks. 252 / 0 Roobushin Conkeldurr loses up to 48% of its health from Megahorn but, since it's faster than Shubarugo Escavalier, it can Bulk Up to cushion the next hit and attack with Drain Punch.<p>

<p>Anything with a reasonably powerful Fire attack can revenge kill Shubarugo Escavalier and sweepers with Bug-type resists such as Urugamosu Volcarona and Doryuuzu Excadrill can come in after a kill and attempt to set up on a Choice-locked Shubarugo.<p>

[Dream World]

<p>For Shubarugo Escavalier, the Dream World is more of a nightmare. Dust Proof Overcoat is a near-useless ability for a Pokemon that is already unaffected by Sandstorm sandstorm, (comma) but that's not the problem. The real problem is Shadow Tag Shandera Chandelure who, thanks to its 4x Bug resistance and STAB Fire-type attacks, is a complete full-stop (redundant) to Shubarugo Escavalier.<p>
Good job. I like this analysis.

I would double check on the Ferrothorn thing, though... Just in case. But you should change it anyways, since standard Ferrothorn is now Relaxed with 252 HP and 48 Def. Just check the calculation, I guess.

Oh, and again... I think you should completely remove Rock Smash. Like, completely. A not-very-effective Megahorn is stronger than a super-effective Rock Smash. In fact, the main targets Rock Smash could possibly be useful for are Tyranitar, Weavile, and Aggron, with their 4x weakness to Fighting-type attacks. However, Tyranitar and Weavile are hit super-effectively by Megahorn, while Aggron is (unfortunately) not OU material.

I did actually get a LITTLE use out of Reversal, when I used Escavalier. But, as you said, Megahorn is almost like the only move it needs.

-Zane

Well Heatran does 4x resist Megahorn and is weak to Rock Smash so that's one time Rock Smash is worth it. Luke is another.

Really up to QC if they feel the extra damage on these few threats is worth a slash.

Well Heatran does 4x resist Megahorn and is weak to Rock Smash so that's one time Rock Smash is worth it. Luke is another.

Really up to QC if they feel the extra damage on these few threats is worth a slash.
Neither are going to like losing their Life Orb or Choice Specs at all (while Balloon is popped by any attack, which sucks for them, too). In fact, that really just makes them much more easily handled by team mates. I don't know. Knock Off just seems to be a lot less situational, considering it can usually help a good deal on almost any switch-in, when you're unsure. And I almost always found Escavalier to be below around 60% health by time one of those threats switched in, due to its amazing skill as a pivot. As such, Reversal usually did me a lot more justice, when I was forced to use my last filler move.

-Zane

breh

強いだね
Just... don't use Rock Smash.

By using Slipperjeans' really cool coverage calculator, I got these pokemon who resist normal/steel/bug:
(I'm only noting ones that are at least slightly important)
Pokémon that resist Bug/Normal/Steel/Normal: Type resist: Magnemite, Magneton (seldom seen and Rock Smash is still weaker than Megahorn), Forretress (you're spikes fodder anyway), Steelix, Scizor (you're SD fodder), Skarmory (you're spikes fodder; SDs/Subs are WWed away), Mawile, Registeel, Empoleon, Wormadam-S, Lucario (fair enough, one rare pokemon), Magnezone (you're not winning either way if it has hp fire), Rotom (this is normal Rotom, just to note), Dialga, Heatran (not often seen; you will die), Doryuuzu (you're SD fodder and Megahorn is stronger), Shubarugo (lol), Pururiru, Burungeru (Rock Smash doesn't help here), Giaru, Gigiaru, Gigigiaru, Hitomoshi, Ranpuraa, Shandera (nor here), Aianto, Kobaruon, Genosekuto (fighting these is ballsy with flamethrower being a possibility), Shedinja (Wonder Guard).

Use Sub/SD/Protect/Iron Defence in the last slot (non-tr) or Reversal/Pursuit (maybe even Faint Attack). Knock off seems to be a poor option but I haven't playtested so I can't say much.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Lee, this is very well written, however, I'd like to ask you to do one thing: update this thread with the new analysis format and change the Japanese names located in this analysis into their appropriate English names.

Thank you.

I run this guy on my Trick Room team and he's a beast. There's nothing like switching in on Latios' Draco Meteor and then catching it with Pursuit. I use Reversal though, as under Trick Room he can come in on various weaker moves, take entry hazard damage, and then start spamming Reversal. I also use Headbutt over Return, simply because I never use the move anyway, and opponent's reactions to getting flinch-haxed by an Escavalier are hilarious.

hey i have one of these on my trick room team. my moveset is
megahorn,pursuit,swords dance, and substitute.
what do u guys think about this set? Also i have wide lens on him as item. Also what ev's would u suggest for him on a trick room team. Also since imo he will see most of his use on a trick room team maybe you should write a moveset and ev's that one should use on a trick room team

Why is there no mention of a Toxic Stall set? Ive seen some wifi videos on youtube with this kind of a set and they worked really well and most of the time resulted in stalling the entire enemy team.

Lee

@ Thick Club
A Toxic Stall set on a Pokemon that is helpless against Steel types and Gliscor seems a bit daft for lack of a better word. Better just muscling straight through with that insane power, but Toxic could be a reasonable filler option on the CB set to hit certain pesky switch-ins.

Will get it done soon Bloo, just finished fixing up my Stoutland analysis.

hey i have one of these on my trick room team. my moveset is
megahorn,pursuit,swords dance, and substitute.
what do u guys think about this set? Also i have wide lens on him as item. Also what ev's would u suggest for him on a trick room team. Also since imo he will see most of his use on a trick room team maybe you should write a moveset and ev's that one should use on a trick room team
It isn't wise to waste Trick Room turns setting up. In the best case scenario, you switch in the turn after Trick Room is set up on a resisted attack, force the opponent out while setting up a Sub, and then Swords Dance while your sub is broken. That only leaves you with 2 turns to wreak havoc before Trick Room ends and you get outsped by someone with a fire move. Choice Band is much better than trying to set up with Swords Dance, especially when you want to use as much of Trick Room as effectively as you can.

It isn't wise to waste Trick Room turns setting up. In the best case scenario, you switch in the turn after Trick Room is set up on a resisted attack, force the opponent out while setting up a Sub, and then Swords Dance while your sub is broken. That only leaves you with 2 turns to wreak havoc before Trick Room ends and you get outsped by someone with a fire move. Choice Band is much better than trying to set up with Swords Dance, especially when you want to use as much of Trick Room as effectively as you can.
I see what you r saying and i might try him with a band but my major problem would be losing wide lens, i know its not a great item but having a reliable megahorn is just so amazing and maybe should be looked into as a option

Although Celebi and Escavalier share the same fire weakness, I think they make good partners if Celebi utilizes thunder wave. After a foe is paralyzed, escavalier can often switch in and outspeed the opponent (not extremely reliably but it is fast enough to take advantage of paralysis). In addition, escavalier 4x resists bug, which celebi is weak to, which helps it get in for free.
In UU, where I use it, I have this set for celebi:
Celebi @leftovers
Thunder wave
Calm Mind
Giga Drain
Recover
Nature: Bold
Ability: Natural Cure
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
It survives against some flamethrowers after a calm mind, and has thunderwave support for escavalier's low speed.

I think you should mention that escavalier is very useful with megahorn and pursuit for psychic leads.

As a note, these ideas are based on using it in UU, not OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)