Moody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inconsistent - at the end of each turn (including the turn the Pokémon was switched in), randomly increases one of its stats by 2 stages and decreases a different stat by 1 stage (including accuracy and evasiveness). Inconsistent cannot attempt to boost a stat at +6 or lower a stat at -6 (it can still lower +6 and raise -6, though).

Pokémon with this ability:
  • Remoraid
  • Octillery
  • Bidoof
  • Bibarel
Unreleased Dream World users:
  • Smeargle
  • Snorunt
  • Glalie

This ability was overlooked at first, with many people claiming it to be inferior to the Pokémon's existing abilities (Suction Cups, Simple etc). However, Inconsistent has recently made a comeback, with its users even being discussed in the Suspect Testing thread. Why?
Simply because Inconsistent has a 1/7 chance of sharply increasing the user's evasiveness; a pseudo-Minimise. And we all know why Minimise is banned - after even a single boost, the Pokémon becomes difficult (and very annoying) to hit.
Inconsistent's second advantage over moves like Minimise and Acupressure is that it happens automatically at the end of each turn, freeing up your move choice. By far the most popular option here is stalling an opponent with Protect and Substitute; a switch in followed by Protect gives Inconsistent two chances to activate; if it boosts Speed or evasiveness, you're pretty much set. Leftovers is the preferred item here for the increased number of times you can use Substitute. An Acupressure or Minimise user is vulnerable during the turns it sets up; an Inconsistent user is not.

Ingrain-passing Smeargle greatly helps Inconsistent users, providing them with a second source of healing (allowing them to spam Sub + Protect until they run out of PP) and preventing them from being Roared / Whirlwinded out. However, it also stops them switching out against Unaware users, which can easily set up on them (Cosmic Power Clefable and Curse Quagsire or Bibarel).
Toxic Spikes are a great help, as they wear away the opponents' HP as you set up. They also mean you can run two attacking moves instead of one attack + Toxic, which means you have more type coverage and can avoid being walled.

However, Inconsistent also has its counters. As with any stat-increasing strategy, the moves Haze and Clear Smog are useful - Clear Smog also has the bonus of being a never-miss damaging attack, getting past Inconsistent's evasiveness boosts. Morobareru (the new Poké Ball mushroom) can learn Clear Smog, resists Water (the most common Inconsistent user attacking type), and is immune to Toxic, making it a great counter to the two available Inconsistent users. Murkrow, despite being NFE, gets good defensive stats through Evolution Stone, and can wipe the slate with a priority Haze (thanks to Mischievous Heart).
Roar and Whirlwind can work, but watch out as they can miss if the Inconsistent user has evasiveness boosts. These won't work against Ingrain Smeargle either.
Taunt blocks the opponent from stalling, but if the opponent has a few Attack boosts, it won't really help you otherwise. It also doesn't block Inconsistent's effect, so they'll still be getting stat boosts.
A Pokémon with Unaware, such as Quagsire, Clefable, or even opposing Bibarel, can ignore the Inconsistent user's defensive and evasiveness boosts, while taking measly damage due to ignoring their offensive boosts. Quagsire can even use Haze. However, all Unaware Pokémon have to beware of Toxic stalling movesets.
Pokémon with the ability Trace such as Porygon2 can switch in and set up alongside; as Trace users generally have higher stats than Inconsistent users, this can be quite an effective strategy. However, this shouldn't be left for too long after the Inconsistent user comes in, to avoid it getting too far ahead in stat boosts.
Heart Swap Manaphy yoinks the opponent's boosts, leaving them with nearly nothing. Its only problem is that it's not very useful against anything else.
In the Dream World metagame, if the Inconsistent user's (Sp.) Def stage is lower than their (Sp.) Atk stage, and their accuracy is at least as good as their evasiveness, Ditto can come in after their Sub is broken. However, they'll most likely set up Sub again, which would be troublesome to beat. Also, you could get screwed over if they get a Speed/evasiveness boost on the switch. Just make sure you don't switch Ditto in on a Sub.
Sandstorm and Hail severely limit the survivability of Inconsistent users, which usually rely on Substitute to avoid getting hit. Glalie (when it is released) is immune to Hail, however.
Speaking of Hail, Stallrein (and other stallers) can PP stall Inconsistent users out of Protect / Substitute PP; however, they still have to watch out for +6 Struggle!
Toxic Spikes also cripple Inconsistent users in the same way as damaging weather, hugely reducing the amount of time they have to set up.
Finally, Perish Song is useful for countering Inconsistent users, either KOing them or forcing them out. A switch is nearly as good as a KO, as their Protect and Substitute PP will have been depleted, meaning when it comes in again, it won't be able to stall for too long.

The most popular available Inconsistent user is Octillery, due to its higher stats and lack of a Fighting (and therefore Aura Sphere) weakness. Here is a common Octillery set:

Octillery @ Leftovers
4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe (Sp. Atk EVs can be moved to HP for a bulkier set)
Timid nature
-Protect
-Substitute
-Surf
-Toxic / Energy Ball

Timid nature and max Speed, despite its low Speed stat, allows it to outspeed many slow Pokémon. This means it can set up a Sub and start stalling; once it has a few evasiveness or defensive boosts, and its Sub is intact, it can start attacking or statusing opponents.

The most popular way to use the set is to switch it whenever possible and Protect; if you get a Speed or evasiveness boost, start stalling with Sub + Protect; if you don't, switch back out. This strategy is weakened by entry hazards, however.

This particular set with Toxic is walled by Toxicroak and RestTalk Suicune. Also watch out for Water Absorb/Dry Skin/Storm Drain users coming in and Subbing while your Speed is low. Energy Ball allows you to beat them, but in turn, you're walled by Shedinja. But seriously, with Toxic Spikes support, Energy Ball is superior (even without, it's pretty good, though it leaves you reliant on getting Sp. Atk boosts).

Bibarel and Glalie tend to use similar sets; both are faster than Octillery, though less powerful (not like it matters when you have +6 Attack). Glalie has slightly higher defensive stats, but this is ruined by its pure-Ice typing. Bibarel can run Taunt, but then only gets one damage-dealing move; only use it with Toxic Spikes support.

Smeargle, on the other hand, likes to use a Baton Pass set. This set can beat many of Inconsistent's usual counters:

Smeargle @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 (Sp.) Def / 252 Spe
Timid nature
-Protect
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Taunt / Magic Coat / Gear Change

Protect and Substitute are again to stall for boosts. If your opponent sends in a Clear Smog user, Baton Pass to a Steel type; as Clear Smog is Poison, your stats will be safe. If your opponent sends in a Haze/Roar/Whirlwind/Taunt user, Taunt them back (watch out for Mischievous Heart Pokémon like Murkrow and Voltolos, though).
Magic Coat is an alternative for stopping Taunters and phazers. It's useless against Haze, but lets you beat Mischievous Heart Taunters.
Gear Change makes it easier to stall by boosting your Speed. You'll probably want Magic Mirror Espeon / Xatu to BP to against Taunters or phazers, though. Again, it's beaten by Haze.

Alternatively, you can run an Ingrain-passing set; this allows you to stall until you run out of PP (as Lefties + Ingrain heal back the health lost by Substitute over the two turns you use Protect and Substitute). This is especially evil if you pass to another Inconsistent user such as Octillery.

If you're still doubting Inconsistent, have a look at these logs by Stellar. With a bit of luck, Inconsistent becomes very hard to beat.

Wouldn't it be funny if Bibarel became Uber?

Yah this is really really broken.
Im honestly just gona be a fucktard and say no suspects simple emergency bann.

Well anyway Octially is pretty much the best abuser imo with the most ideal stats and a good typing.Bibarel is also quite nice.I honestly dont see the reason in using anything but these 2.
Smeargle is still unreleased but when it does get released its probably going to be quite effective due to its ability to pass the boosts.It also has spore which buys more turns and gives you a free sub.

I think that Magic Coat is definitely worth a slash alngside taunt, due to the fact that it stops Mischevious Heart pokemon fairly well and can help bounce back phazing moves if necessary. Also Gear Change might be worth a slash but you'd need to pair Smeargle up with MM Espeon/Xatu so that you can Baton Pass to them to block phazers/taunters.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
In my experience Energy Ball is preferred over Toxic on Octillery, it helps beat mirror matches and you aren't walled by Toxicroak, Unaware Quagsire, etc. I also find that using max HP, a certain target speed stat, and the rest in defenses is the way to go EV-wise. I EVed my Octillery to outspeed Skymin after a +2 boost and it really opens it up for beating sweeping eve when you can't get evasion boosts.

I used a team stellar made and despite it being really kind of bad, having the ability to try 2 Inconsistent sweeps makes it that much better. The team really had no answers for main problem Pokemon like Nattorei, but I managed to get around 1250 with a really shit team relying on Bibarel and Octillery.

Bibarel was a learning process, I started out with Sub/Protect/Yawn/Waterfall, and Yawn really helped me set up some sweeps and buy time, but then when Water Absorbers show up Bibarel becomes useless. I changed Yawn for Charge Beam and became much more successful, with accuracy gains, Charge Beam rarely misses and the boost it gives can be helpful to negate negative boosts that you might gain.

That said, when I create a team with Inconsistent in mind, it becomes much harder for opposing Inconsistent users to sweep but they are still an issue and will probably be brought up lots during suspect voting.

I think that the main problem I find when playing Inconsistent is that it is unlike so many other threats in the game, in that no matter how well your team is built and how good a player you are if you haven't picked out specific counters to it when team building then you really need to hope that they don't get the evasion or speed boost. Obviously there are other things that are difficult to counter eg. Roopushin after a few Bulk Ups but these kind of things can generally be played around before they set up whereas Inconsistent users can just switch in and out and stall with Protect until they get their evasion/speed boost.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Octillery and Remoraid don't have thr right pictures. Just a nitpick.

Fuck Inconsistent. Whenever I use it, it always boosts my attack when I'm using Octillery :(

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Octillery and Remoraid don't have thr right pictures. Just a nitpick.

Fuck Inconsistent. Whenever I use it, it always boosts my attack when I'm using Octillery :(
You know that's funny, because I thought PO was rigged to always raise their Evasion on the first two turns :)

But yeah. Sounds like Breloom in 4th gen. Everyone yelled 'broken' all day for a bit because of the Spore Puncher set, but eventually everyone just got around it. It is possible people might even start using faint attack to hit them on the first turn, or something like Shock Wave instead of Thunderbolt.

Not only the fact that it's too luck-based in my eyes is ban-worthy to me. The fact that it makes Bidoof and Bibarel viable in LC and OU respectively is reason enough to put the banhammer on it. If I see my team swept by a Bibarel, I will stop playing pokémon forever.

if inconsistent doesnt get banned, i see the Never Miss attack moves rising in usage
(Aerial Ace, Faint Attack, Aura Sphere, Magical Leaf, Magnet Bomb, Shadow Puch, Shock Wave, Vital Throw)

I've been trying out a team with Bibarel AND Octillery on the same team, backed by Ingrain-passing Smeargle and Aqua Ring-passing Vaporeon.
Seriously, that team has more ragequits to its name then I ever managed to pull in the 4th gen with all my teams combined.

The main problem with using the never miss moves is there low Base power. The only exception to this is Aura Sphere and it has unbelievably poor distribution so I don't really see these as viable options.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying out octillery right now. Just fought a sun team; I was trying to wall meganium, but leaf guard blocked toxic, and solarbeam killed me because I got three spdef drops in a row. I did get attack boosts though.

i dont have a problem at all really because i was already running pory2 lead with magic coat and trace alongside a priority taunt+burn sableye

however i agree it is a bit centralising to need to start running stuff like trace or priority taunts to deal with it, and even they dont work if he gets really luck(like evasion +4 after the second turn that swapping and taunting takes)

so the only real counter is taunt with never miss moves, which are weak and not used in the meta since evasion clause makes no use for them(other than aurasphere), or clear smog/haze, and forcing team to use them is a bit centralizing when all other setup strategies are hard to pull off

So 1/7 chance of raising evasion 2 stages is now considered more broken than a 60% flinch rate. Talk about double standards. Anyway it's worth noting that Glalie can get past Unaware users if it has Ingrain passed thanks to Explosion.
It's hardly a double standard IMO, Smogon has a long history of ensuring that evasion (not accuracy) stays out of competitive battling.

its really a shame the never hit moves are so weak, if they were buffed to 75 like giga drain/drain punch, they would be usable, stronger than a hidden power at least, as they are really the only evasion stacking counter that has decent use outside of evasion countering that i can think of

Inconsistent is really, really, really annoying. I kept facing Octillery all day yesterday and it was a b*tch to deal with, blahhh

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Not only the fact that it's too luck-based in my eyes is ban-worthy to me. The fact that it makes Bidoof and Bibarel viable in LC and OU respectively is reason enough to put the banhammer on it. If I see my team swept by a Bibarel, I will stop playing pokémon forever.
Im a noob but, I got swept by a Bibarel... It was the only Pokemon my opponent used...

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Nobody has mentioned multi-hit moves to break subs? Bullet Seed Scarf Breloom (with or without Technician) immediately comes to mind if the Inconsistent user has bad speed and has not boosted Evasion. It is super unreliable when compared to Inconsistent, but it is still there.

By that reasoning then i guess we should ban shaymin because it got 2 sp. def drops in a row on your blissey.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Question: Does Inconsistent activate on the switch-in? I know Speed Boost doesn't (or at least used not to), if Inconsistent does than man, that's retarded beyond belief.

Question: Does Inconsistent activate on the switch-in? I know Speed Boost doesn't (or at least used not to), if Inconsistent does than man, that's retarded beyond belief.
It does =/

I've been using a Stun Spore/Taunt/Memento/filler Erufuun lead @ Focus Sash to some success. It helps set up quite a bit. Aqua Ring passing Vaporeon is nice too, because often, Burungeru comes into absorb whatever, only to become set up bait for one of the Inconsistent users. Aqua Ring helps with weather wearing down your HP.

Meh, if Acupressure doesn't get a ban, then I don't see why this should either.

Another counter I can think of is MH Psych Up, such as with Sableye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)