Dratini

HP: 41
Attack: 64
Defense: 45
Special Attack: 50
Special Defense: 50
Speed: 50
I am too Fuking Lazy to type up the moves it can learn so there are some links to it's moves

I am a Little Cup Noob meaning I do not know much about little cup and the little cup metagame it so If I make some mistakes - Let me know

http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/dratini#moves:level-up
http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/dratini#moves:machine
http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/dratini#moves:egg

Dratini, the first ever dragon pokemon in the games and in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen it is VERY useful in-game

4th and 5th gen meant that better sweepers like shell break shelder, perversity tsutarja and others have more power then dratini which lets them get those important KO's

dratini is not to be underestimated and it can be a good support pokemon, but despite the faster and stronger sweepers - Dratini is a good pokemon for any team looking to KO 1 or 2 pokemon quickly

Dratini @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 252 Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Aqua Tail

standard DD set like dragonite, has good coverage and hit does some good damage and can out speed a lot of pokemon at +1

extremespeed is for priority since you never know when a priority will fly into dratini's face and KO it

it has 25 Atk and 21 Speed which is pretty damn good for little cup

Dratini @ Evolution Stone
Careful Nature
Ability: Marvel Scale
252 HP /4 Def / 252 SpDef
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- ExtremeSpeed
- Aqua Tail

it is supposed to be a mini-Milotic with good defences and has 2 status moves to cripple things with, extremespeed for priority and aqua tail for damage

dratini has 23 HP, 18 Def and 21 SpDef with this set up. in fact. it has 27 Def With Marvel Scale, too bad it does not have a recovery move so wish support helps a lot

Will dratini make an impact on the 5th Gen Little Cup, Only Time (And Testing) Will Tell...

Little Cup evs are different than Level 100 evs.

DD Dratini should be 28 HP / 244 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe Adamant with a Life Orb, or ( ^___^) 108 HP/84 Atk/76 Def//36 SpD/196 Spe Careful with an Oran Berry.

Yeah. Without a recovery move and bucketloads of hp, Oran Berry is more effective than Evo-stone.

Second set is flat out terrible. Why status anything when you could +1 Outrage it? Also, use Oran Berry.

...did Dratini actually gain anything this generation? Shed Skin is far better than Marvel Scale, since this is...Little Cup.

Um, maybe Rest/DD/Outrage/[Waterfall/Extremespeed] @ Evo-stone? Ala Zuruggu?

Needs a mixed set.

Little Cup evs are different than Level 100 evs.

DD Dratini should be 28 HP / 244 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe Adamant with a Life Orb, or ( ^___^) 108 HP/84 Atk/76 Def//36 SpD/196 Spe Careful with an Oran Berry.

Yeah. Without a recovery move and bucketloads of hp, Oran Berry is more effective than Evo-stone.

Second set is flat out terrible. Why status anything when you could +1 Outrage it? Also, use Oran Berry.

...did Dratini actually gain anything this generation? Shed Skin is far better than Marvel Scale, since this is...Little Cup.

Um, maybe Rest/DD/Outrage/[Waterfall/Extremespeed] @ Evo-stone? Ala Zuruggu?

Needs a mixed set.
He gained +2 priority Extreme Speed

I'm not sure how important this is to Little Cup, but he got it!

Dratini has some good resistances but it's highly unlikely he would be a potent threat in the cup this gen
LOLscrub.

He gained +2 priority Extreme Speed

I'm not sure how important this is to Little Cup, but he got it!
Extremely important, priority is king in Little Cup, so not being able to be revenged by faster priority-users is is pretty damn important.

...of course, he already had Dragon Dance mostly fixing that.... although that would give a huge boost to any Band sets packing ExSpeed. I personally ran a CB Dratini as a revenger in 4th Gen, and it worked pretty well. I imagine that ExSpeed's priority boost would make it that much more effective, and Aqua Jet COULD be used, but it's still probably not as good as Aqua Tail (and isn't Aqua Jet illegal with ExSpeed anyway? :0

As far as mixed / Special sets go, it should be noted that Dragon/Fire has unresisted coverage in LC, something Dragon/Water no longer boasts (curse you, Teshiido).

I'm pretty new to Little Cup so keep that in mind but couldn't you use a choice band set to a certain degree?

Dratini @ Choice Band
Shed Skin
Nature? EV?
-Outrage
-Aqua Tail
-Extremespeed
-Iron Tail/Filler

Don't know about LC ev spreads yet so I'll have to do those later.I do now that Dratini is the only LC to have ESpeed and he has STAB Outrage and an almost perfect coverage outside of the grass/steel guy.Just some thoughts.

EDIT:Massively edited as I thought Dratini has Multi-Scale and not Marvel Scale.Ooops.

CB Dratini has little that can go in that last slot, yeah. Fire Blast is probably the best bet for predicted Tesshido switchins.

And yes, I think that's totally worth a set on the analysis. I used Bandratini as a revenger last-gen, and it worked pretty well.

I'm pretty new to Little Cup so keep that in mind but couldn't you use a choice band set to a certain degree?

Dratini @ Choice Band
Shed Skin
Nature? EV?
-Outrage
-Aqua Tail
-Extremespeed
-Iron Tail/Filler

Don't know about LC ev spreads yet so I'll have to do those later.I do now that Dratini is the only LC to have ESpeed and he has STAB Outrage and an almost perfect coverage outside of the grass/steel guy.Just some thoughts.

EDIT:Massively edited as I thought Dratini has Multi-Scale and not Marvel Scale.Ooops.
Zigzagoon has Espeed, and STAB on it too

Zigzagoon has Espeed, and STAB on it too
But he doesn't have any of the resistances, a good ability, or a good movepool other than ES.(belly Drum then ES can work but its too risky imo)

Overall Dratini is pretty much every LC team i make. Hes OP

we all know and love protini, and he will love us too as long we give him a bunch of oran berries.

dratini was good in gen 4 and i am sure he still is, he is just too useful and reliable to not be used alot, and with extremespeed getting +2 priority(took a fucking while huh?) shit only got better for him.

i dont know if the pre evo of the grass/steel is also grass/steel or just steel(or grass) but if he is then fire blast should be the main option for filler on a CB set and considered on a DD set too, the mecha plant will be used way too much(i am just sure of it) to let him switch freely on you cause you lack fire moves.

I never said he was better, because he isnt. :\
Then I'm afraid I don't see the point of mentioning that Ziggy has STAB on ExSpeed, unless you were suggesting that he is a better Bander, which I'm fairly certain he isn't. :\ Sorry.

i dont know if the pre evo of the grass/steel is also grass/steel or just steel(or grass) but if he is then fire blast should be the main option for filler on a CB set and considered on a DD set too, the mecha plant will be used way too much(i am just sure of it) to let him switch freely on you cause you lack fire moves.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79936
....*sigh* That really is something you should know for yourself already.

I've been playing with Dratini on a few teams, and he doesn't seem to be as good as I'd hoped. He needs to be used with Pokemon that break defensive teams/Pokemon down, since with Evo stone running amok, it's hard to get a clean sweep with Dratini's neutral coverage. But against hyper offensive teams with little bulk, Dratini is a monster. It's just that those kinds of teams seem to be in the minority these days.

Finally, I want to bring up something. Waterfall is base 80 power. x2 = 160. So Waterfall hits Gligar with 160 BP. Outrage is 120 BP. With STAB, it's 180, so it hits harder than Waterfall. Even against resists, Outrage is stronger than a neutral Waterfall (90 vs 80). So why even run Waterfall? just Outrage everything. Fire Blast seems like a better option, or Ice Beam, or T-Wave or anything really.

I've been playing with Dratini on a few teams, and he doesn't seem to be as good as I'd hoped. He needs to be used with Pokemon that break defensive teams/Pokemon down, since with Evo stone running amok, it's hard to get a clean sweep with Dratini's neutral coverage. But against hyper offensive teams with little bulk, Dratini is a monster. It's just that those kinds of teams seem to be in the minority these days.

Finally, I want to bring up something. Waterfall is base 80 power. x2 = 160. So Waterfall hits Gligar with 160 BP. Outrage is 120 BP. With STAB, it's 180, so it hits harder than Waterfall. Even against resists, Outrage is stronger than a neutral Waterfall (90 vs 80). So why even run Waterfall? just Outrage everything. Fire Blast seems like a better option, or Ice Beam, or T-Wave or anything really.
Aqua Tail does get 180 BP against Gligar, but nonetheless, I see what you mean, life is definitely tougher for Dratini this time around. I used Dratini as a CB revenge killer in 4th Gen every now and then, maybe Band and even Scarf sets on Dratini could see some use, though without the Attack boost on the Scarf sets, I don't know how effective they would be. I need to jump into LC and start testing some of these.

I wonder if Agility sets like the ones that were used prior to ExSpeed Dratini would be any good? Like say, Agility + Outrage + Fire Blast + Ice Beam/Draco Meteor/etc.

I tested bulky Dragon Dance+Rest sets today, both with Shed Skin and with Marvel Scale, and I can conclusively say they're pretty bad. Even with much defense invested and Evolution Stone, Dratini is really frail. I actually think Dragon Dance/Rest/Sleep Talk/Outrage with Marvel Scale would be good, but it can't be used because of Dream World restrictions so oh well.

Basically, Dratini better stick to very offensive sets. And Fire Blast is definitely a good way to lure out and kill Tesshiido

I tested bulky Dragon Dance+Rest sets today, both with Shed Skin and with Marvel Scale, and I can conclusively say they're pretty bad. Even with much defense invested and Evolution Stone, Dratini is really frail. I actually think Dragon Dance/Rest/Sleep Talk/Outrage with Marvel Scale would be good, but it can't be used because of Dream World restrictions so oh well.

Basically, Dratini better stick to very offensive sets. And Fire Blast is definitely a good way to lure out and kill Tesshiido
What're the calcs on Fire Blast vs Bronzor? The Smogon Calculator goes all haywire when I try to run an LC calc and gives me stuff like Gligar taking 200% from Mach Punch.

Is that so? I run Rest/Dragon Dance/Outrage/Espeed with Magnemite support, it seems to be doing well from the 5-10 battles I've done with it.

To be honest, I think that Oran is better than Evostone on Dratini, unless you're running some silly RestTalk set (Which would never work anyway). I ran the bulky set with Oran Berry, which works okay. Better than the pure offensive one, anyway. But I have yet to try Fire Blast. Too lazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)