Tentacruel (Analysis)

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC Approvals: 3 (Iconic, Panamaxis, Bloo)

GP Approvals: 2 (Chou Toshio, Athenodoros)

http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/073.shtml

[Overview]

<p>"Support" is the first word that pops into the head of many players when they see Tentacruel. They are correct, as Tentacruel is a great choice for a variety of support roles, including laying down Toxic Spikes and removing entry hazards. Tentacruel also possesses a base Speed of 100, an acceptable Special Attack stat and a wide offensive movepool, allowing it to fit on offensive and balanced teams just as well as on stall teams.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Tentacruel has an awfully low Defense stat for a support Pokemon. This is compounded by a weakness to the ever-common move Earthquake. Despite this, Tentacruel is a wonderful support Pokemon and should always be considered if you are in need of a defensive (or even offensive) Pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Toxic Spikes
move 1: Toxic Spikes
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Surf / Scald
move 4: Hex / Hidden Power Fire / Ice Beam
item: Leftovers
ability: Liquid Ooze
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set uses Tentacruel's ability to lay down Toxic Spikes and spin other hazards away, making it a nice addition to stall, semi-stall, and even balanced teams. As an additional bonus, Tentacruel can absorb Toxic Spikes on your side of the field simply by switching in. Its Water and Poison typing, along with Liquid Ooze, enables it to switch into a variety of attacks in order to set up hazards or spin them away. These traits also makes Tentacruel an effective lead. In addition, team preview enables Tentacruel to determine the effectiveness of Toxic Spikes. Surf is a strong, reliable STAB option. Alternately, Scald's 30% burn rate makes it appealing, in order to offset Tentacruel's poor Defense stat. Hex is the primary option for the last slot, as it allows you to take on Jellicent, Dusclops and other spinblockers with ease. However, Hidden Power Fire keeps Ferrothorn and Scizor, two common switch-ins, at bay. Ice Beam is also an option, providing decent coverage with Surf or Scald.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Using Speed EVs may seem unorthodox for a defensive Pokemon, but adding 16 EVs in Speed allows Tentacruel to outspeed Adamant Breloom, who would otherwise pose a dangerous threat. The rest of the EVs are added into HP and Defense so that Tentacruel can take physical hits better. Liquid Ooze allows Tentacruel to switch into the likes of Conkeldurr's Drain Punch, Virizion's Giga Drain, and Whimsicott's Leech Seed (although the latter may attempt to Taunt or status Tentacruel). Rain Dish is a viable option if Tentacruel is on a rain team, as the extra healing will help Tentacruel's defensive capabilities.</p>

<p>Tentacruel has a variety of options to use in the fourth slot. Magic Coat is a nasty surprise against Pokemon who try to Taunt and/or cripple Tentacruel with status, such as Thundurus or Whimsicott. Many common switch-ins to Tentacruel are not affected by Toxic Spikes. For Flying-types and levitating switch-ins, Slime Wave can be used to attack, or Toxic can be used to spread poison in conjunction with Toxic Spikes. Giga Drain enables Tentacruel to re-gain health and is its best option against Rotom-W. Venoshock seems promising as it can reach a terrifying base power of 195, but there are simply too many Pokemon immune to Toxic Spikes for this to be effective.</p>

<p>When considering teammates, a spinblocker is required so your precious entry hazards are not blown away. Avoid using Jellicent, given its similar typing to Tentacruel. Dusclops and Spiritomb make ideal partners. Both have strong defenses and low HP for Pain Split abuse. Tentacruel also appreciates physical walls. Ferrothorn deserves special mention, as it can set up Spikes and Leech Seed, and has excellent synergy with Tentacruel aside from Ground-type attacks. Ferrothorn also fits onto a wide variety of teams, making it a universal partner to Tentacruel. Hippowdon and Skarmory are some stall-oriented walls, and both of them can set up additional entry hazards. Balanced teams may find Gliscor as a wonderful teammate, since it easily switches into the Ground- and Electric-type attacks that plague Tentacruel.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Giga Drain / Toxic Spikes
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Rapid Spin
item: Life Orb
ability: Liquid Ooze
ivs: 29 HP
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a base Speed of 100, Tentacruel is unusually fast for a defensive Pokemon. This set attempts to take advantage of that speed and surprise the opponent. Tentacruel can also utilize support moves in an offensive set, enabling it to be a team supporter and an offensive threat at the same time. Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB move and can easily dent Pokemon who do not resist it. Giga Drain works well in conjunction with Hydro Pump by hitting most Water-types for super effective damage. In addition, the attack heals Tentacruel, easing the impact of Life Orb recoil. If opposing Water-types are of no concern, you may opt to use Toxic Spikes instead. With Ice Beam, Tentacruel can outspeed and severely damage Gliscor and Dragonite, and nail any Landorus switch-ins. Ice Beam also hits Grass-type Pokemon trying to come in on Hydro Pump. Finally, Rapid Spin in the last slot allows Tentacruel to continue supporting its team well on any free turns.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs listed in this set are fairly straightforward. Maximum Speed and Special Attack, along with a Timid nature and a Life Orb, enables Tentacruel to outspeed many Pokemon and hit them hard. 29 IVs in HP gives a Life Orb number, enabling it to fire off a maximum of eleven attacks before fainting. Liquid Ooze is a fantastic ability on this set as it enables Tentacruel to switch into Conkeldurr, Virizion, Whimsicott, and other Pokemon who commonly use HP-draining moves. It may seem strange that this set is not running any Poison-type moves for STAB, but Poison is a woeful offensive typing. The only Pokemon who are hit for super effective damage are already battered by Ice Beam, which hits more threats than Poison-type moves. However, Acid Bomb is a notable exception, as its ability to sharply decrease the foe's Special Defense enables Tentacruel to be a phazer and a more efficient sweeper.</p>

<p>When choosing teammates for Tentacruel, keep in mind that this set plays differently from other offensive rapid spinners, such as Starmie and Excadrill. This set exploits its twin abilities to switch into special attacks and absorb Toxic Spikes. Good teammates should take advantage of these. For instance, consider Calm Mind Virizion. Virizion enjoys the absence of Toxic Spikes and can easily take on the Ground and Electric-type moves that Tentacruel will attract. Pokemon who enjoy a lack of Stealth Rock on their side, such as Salamence and Volcarona, also make nice teammates. Threats to Tentacruel include foes which outspeed it and KO with a super-effective move. Excadrill Landorus, and Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf (such as Haxorus) can deal with it easily. For this reason, physically defensive Pokemon such as Gliscor and Skarmory make wonderful teammates. Specially defensive walls such as Jirachi and Chansey (assuming Toxic Spikes are not out) can shrug off Tentacruel's attacks and proceed to set up. Luckily, powerful physical attacks should be enough to bring down such Pokemon. If not running Giga Drain, bulky Water-types can pose a challenge if Toxic Spikes are not out. Virizion, Ferrothorn, and Celebi can easily set up against those Pokemon. Ferrothorn itself can be a huge problem for Tentacruel, but there are many Pokemon who can deal with it, such as Conkeldurr, Scizor, and Hidden Power Fire Latios.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Tentacruel has a wide variety of support moves to choose from. Confuse Ray and Mirror Coat can be useful for causing additional damage, but Tentacruel usually has better options to run, and most attacks aimed at Tentacruel are physical anyways. Haze may appear useful, but given Tentacruel's mediocre HP and Defense stats, you probably won't get to use it before being knocked out. Magic Coat is a decent option if Tentacruel has an open moveslot, as it punishes Pokemon trying to Taunt it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Simply put, any Pokemon who is immune to Toxic Spikes and carries Earthquake (or some other super-effective move) can be listed as a counter to Tentacruel. Examples of these Pokemon include Gyarados, Metagross, Reuniclus, Cobalion and Latios. Some Pokemon, such as Gliscor and Landorus, will have to be aware of Ice Beam and STAB Water-type attacks, but once these Pokemon switch in, they can easily wreak havoc. Tentacruel also has trouble with specially defensive walls. Ferrothorn and Jirachi, for example, can easily take on its attacks with their bulk and proceed to cripple it or set up entry hazards. In addition, Pokemon who are unconcerned about being poisoned love to set up on it. RestTalk Gyarados and ChestoRest Kingdra are a few examples. On a similar note, specially defensive walls, such as Jirachi and Reuniclus, who are also immune to poison, laugh at Tentacruel's attacks and can set up from there.</p>

Unless Tentacruel is being used on a Rain team, Liquid Ooze should be the primary option on all sets, IMO. Turns him into one of the best counters for Drain Punch Roopushin and Zuruzukin, as well as the numerous new Giga Drain users out and about.

I would mention Evil Eye somewhere on the set (AC probably) because of the poison you're spreading with Toxic Spikes, it could be useful with the power boost. It would allow you to hit spin blockers, particularly Burungeru for more damage.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Unless Tentacruel is being used on a Rain team, Liquid Ooze should be the primary option on all sets, IMO. Turns him into one of the best counters for Drain Punch Roopushin and Zuruzukin, as well as the numerous new Giga Drain users out and about.
I would mention Evil Eye somewhere on the set (AC probably) because of the poison you're spreading with Toxic Spikes, it could be useful with the power boost. It would allow you to hit spin blockers, particularly Burungeru for more damage.
Edited, thanks! I do have one question, though: how common is it for Roopushin to carry Earthquake?

With just 16 speed EVs Tentacruel outspeeds adamant Breloom, which is such a small investment that there's no reason not to run it. Maybe change the spread to 252 HP / 140 Def / 100 SpD / 16 Spe. Also, sludge bomb is probably better than venom shock in this meta just because of Skymin.

Tentacruel has many chances to switch in, like onto Roobushin's Mach Punch or Burungeru's Surf, and can easily spin and lay down hazards.

I know this is nitpicking, but this needs some clarification. You can't Rapid Spin against Burungeru, due to its Ghost-typing. These ideas are legitimate; perhaps you should just split them into two sentences. The way you have it worded makes it sound like you can spin on Burungeru.

With 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD and Bold, Tentacruel gets stats of 364 HP, 221 Def, 305 SpD (If you choose to run the 16 Speed EVs you get a SpD stat of 301).

A more efficient EV spread is Calm nature with 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD, where it get stats of 364 HP, 221 Def, and 313 SpD (309 with the 16 Spe EVs).

EDIT- Also, Slime Wave is probably better than Sludge Bomb because the extra 20% poison chance of Sludge Bomb is redundant with Toxic Spikes, and normal Poison sucks anyways so the 5 extra BP is worth it.

[*]If, for whatever reason, Toxic Spikes is not appealing to you (or useful for your team), you can opt to use Boiling Water over it, and replace Surf with another move. Also, if choosing this route, remember to replace Venom Shock (if you chose it) with Sludge Bomb, because Venom Shock's power will not double.
[/LIST]
Shouldn't it be replacing Surf with Boiling Water? Boiling Water helps it fulfill its role as Bulky Water, as well as possibly getting status onto Pokemon immune to Toxic Spikes.

Liquid Ooze also helps a lot against Nattorei, removing its ability to stall you out using Leech Seed. That should get a mention.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
should be enormous, don't think anyone spells it that way..
My mistake, thank you.

I know this is nitpicking, but this needs some clarification. You can't Rapid Spin against Burungeru, due to its Ghost-typing. These ideas are legitimate; perhaps you should just split them into two sentences. The way you have it worded makes it sound like you can spin on Burungeru.
I probably meant to say Suicune or something along those lines. Burungeru was a bad example >_<

Why don't you mention Acid Bomb in the AC? It works well with Tentacruel's good SpA, and can also force some switches.
Liquid Ooze also helps a lot against Nattorei, removing its ability to stall you out using Leech Seed. That should get a mention.
Mention, thank you both.

Shouldn't it be replacing Surf with Boiling Water? Boiling Water helps it fulfill its role as Bulky Water, as well as possibly getting status onto Pokemon immune to Toxic Spikes.
Good point. When I was writing the Utility set, I failed to realize that many of Tentacruel's switch-ins (Nattorei, Gliscor, etc) are usually immune to Toxic Spikes. In fact, I'll just slash it in with Surf for the second moveslot.

With just 16 speed EVs Tentacruel outspeeds adamant Breloom, which is such a small investment that there's no reason not to run it. Maybe change the spread to 252 HP / 140 Def / 100 SpD / 16 Spe. Also, sludge bomb is probably better than venom shock in this meta just because of Skymin.
With 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD and Bold, Tentacruel gets stats of 364 HP, 221 Def, 305 SpD (If you choose to run the 16 Speed EVs you get a SpD stat of 301).

A more efficient EV spread is Calm nature with 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD, where it get stats of 364 HP, 221 Def, and 313 SpD (309 with the 16 Spe EVs).
I always was horrible with defense EVs. Thank you both!
@ Snuch: I think there is a good chance that Skymin will be banned by the first suspect test, so for now, I'll leave Sludge Bomb (EDIT: Slime Wave, as Elevator Music mentioned) in the AC. If, by some miracle, Skymin stays OU, then I will slash it in.

As for new set ideas, do you people think a Swords Dance Tentacruel set is viable in this generation?

You're honestly not even mentioning Ice Beam in a metagame infested with Dragons and Skymin?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Black Sludge heals as much as Leftovers if held by a Poison Type and damages the holder is not a Poison Type (Trick me if you dare) Wouldn't Black Sludge be the better item?

Edit at below: Why didn't I realize that?

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Black Sludge heals as much as Leftovers if held by a Poison Type and damages the holder is not a Poison Type (Trick me if you dare) Wouldn't Black Sludge be the better item?
In fact it wouldn't because it can be Tricked or Switcherooed to another member of your team (unless you are running a mono-Poison team), being the second option.

I use Tentacruel as a lead, and have found success using Magic Coat over the 2nd attack slot. This shuts down Erufuun and Sableye, as helps in laying out entry hazards. It also helps mid-game against Breloom who try to spore you.

Magic Coat could be listed as an additional option even though you can't use it with Rain Dish

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would throw a mention of Hail into OO, as Tentacruel makes a great Sun and Rain counter.
Added. Thank you.

Edit at below: Why didn't I realize that?
Yeah, Don Honkrorleone pointed out the flaw using Black Sludge. I'll still mention it in Optional Changes.

I use Tentacruel as a lead, and have found success using Magic Coat over the 2nd attack slot. This shuts down Erufuun and Sableye, as helps in laying out entry hazards. It also helps mid-game against Breloom who try to spore you.

Magic Coat could be listed as an additional option even though you can't use it with Rain Dish
So many useful moves, so little moveslots. For now, Magic Coat goes into Additional Comments.

I never actually tried Magic Coat Tentacruel as a lead. If you post the set you used and/or some logs, I'll be happy to post it in the OP.

What about an offensive set? It finally got a special quasi-boosting move in Acid Bomb, which incidentally also has excellent coverage with Hydro Pump or Surf. Acid Bomb should also be noted as a useful phaser, since Tentacruel actually outspeeds a fuckton of pokémon if it wants to, and thus you can lay toxic spikes with it, and then use acid bomb to phase stuff and dent things. Is it worth a mention?

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
What about an offensive set? It finally got a special quasi-boosting move in Acid Bomb, which incidentally also has excellent coverage with Hydro Pump or Surf. Acid Bomb should also be noted as a useful phaser, since Tentacruel actually outspeeds a fuckton of pokémon if it wants to, and thus you can lay toxic spikes with it, and then use acid bomb to phase stuff and dent things. Is it worth a mention?
Definitely worth a mention. I'll test a set consisting of Acid Bomb / Surf / Toxic Spikes / Evil Eye (with an offensive EV spread) tonight and see if it warrants its own set or just a mention in AC.

EDIT: Offensive Tentacruel seems worthy of a set, although the main problem is that sandstorm + Life Orb + entry hazard damage kills it fast. I'll put a set up ASAP.

I would mention Toxic in Additional Comments of the first set. I've been using it recently and it really is awesome, as it hits a lot of common switch-ins that don't care about Toxic Spikes. Examples include Rotom-A, Latias, Landorus/Randorosu, Gyarados, and other such switch-ins. It's pretty nice to cripple them for the match, and is more useful in general if you know the opponent has a Poison-type on their team (eg. you can use it to stop stuff like Burungeru who may try to block your Rapid Spin, as opposed to Toxic Spikes going down pointlessly, being removed a turn later). It seems really silly, but currently it's working wonders for me.

I would also suggest adding a much more specially defensive EV spread, as it allows Tentacruel to sponge special hits with less fear. A lot of physical attackers will be at least 2HKOing regardless of the EV spread. I'm currently using 252HP / 64Def / 176SDef / 16Spe, but you can run even more SDef. You get approximately a 14%~ increase in Tentacruel's specially defensive ability for a big drop in Defense, but I'm currently preferring it as the metagame is crowded with incredibly strong Earthquake users who don't care about the EV spread, whereas the Special Defense is really handy for taking those STAB Rain-boosted Surfs.

If you need also need another example of Liquid Ooze being awesome, then I'd also suggest Giga Drain Virizion/Birijion. Roobushin is an okay example, but it's far more likely to be using Stone Edge/Payback against Tentacruel, as opposed to Drain Punch. Same with Breloom, it's going to attack with Seed Bomb/Stone Edge, not Drain Punch.

I think you already have everything else I can think of in your skeleton, cool job.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thank you twash :) Do the 64 EVs in Defense accomplish anything special, or did you put them there so Tentacruel isn't one-shotted by nearly every physical attack in the game?

In addition, I've added an offensive rapid-spinning set. Tell me what you people think about it.

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
Knock off might be worth mentioning in OO at least, it can be a handy trolly option, and Tentacruel's uninvested SpA isn't much to write home about anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)