Manectric (Skeleton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manectric

Status: Skeleton is done. Help and feedback is always appreciated=3

Overview:

• Ever common rival of Jolteon and Raikou as both of them have better overall stats
  • some niches they don't have are some strong Fire-type moves and an improved Lightningrod
  • Shibirudon is a new rival with an even wider movepool, very effective base stat distribution and Levitate
  • rather shallow movepool
  • 75/105/105 offensive are ok for a special attacker
  • 70/60/60 defense are rather poor. can't take much

[SET]
name: Choice
move1: Thunderbolt
move2: Flamethrower / Overheat / Hidden Power Ice
move3: Volt Change
move4: Switcheroo
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
nature: Timid
ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Meant to switch into any Electric-type move to abuse +1 SpA
  • effective user of Choice Scarf thanks to Base 105 speed
  • outspeeding many threats like Garchomp with positive nature
  • Electric/Fire offers good type coverage bar non flying Dragons (Garchomp, Flygon, Latias, Latios, Ononokusu...) and Ground/Rock dual types which are pretty rare to see though
  • Overheat deals more damage with one shot but has only hit and run attitudes
  • Hidden Power Ice can be used to have 'BoltBeam' coverage
  • Volt Change helps to scout potential counters however massive amount of Ground-types are a problem
  • Switcheroo to cripple walls
  • new mechanic of Switcheroo makes receiving another Choice item a non-issue

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Electric and Fire works great against Nattorei and Burungeru and also gives you something to hit Doryuuzu
  • Entry Hazards help to turn some 2HKOs to OHKOs

[SET]
name: Life Orb sweeper
move1: Thunderbolt
move2: Flamethrower
move3: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
move4: Volt Change / Charge Beam
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

• Similar to Choice Set meant to come in into any Electric-type move
  • Life Orb gives you needed power to turn some 2HKOs to OHKOs
  • Thunderbolt obvious STAB
  • Flamethrower needed to deal with Nattorei, Doryuzuu and other threats
  • Hidden Power Ice is recommened as it gives you some kind of BoltBeam combo and near perfect coverage with Flamethrower. Grass is only needed for Water/Ground types
  • Volt Change is to scout in early game, Charge Beam can raise its just decent SpA to a real threatening level

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• ---

[SET]
name: Who dries the dog?
move1: Thunder
move2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Water
move3: Volt Change
move4: Signal Beam
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

• With Drizzle Politoed legit by now it makes a good addition to any Rain team thanks to electric immunity and access to Thunder
  • Thunder in rain has 100% accuracy combined with useful 30% chance to paralyse and high base power making it the best option for STAB
  • Hidden Power Water can be used in this set as it gets doubled power during rain
  • Hidden Power Ice still offers better coverage overall
  • again Volt Change deserves a slot to scout possible counters
  • Signal Beam is worth mentioned here as it helps dealing with Grass-types in case you don't have Hidden Power Ice

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• any Fire-type move on this set is just wasted a slot

[SET]
name: Support
move1: Substitute
move2: Discharge / Eleci Ball
move3: Flamethrower / Hidden Power Ice
move4: Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 244 SpA / 232 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• known to be fast it can force some switches to avoid revenge kills. Time enough to set up Substitutes
  • given HP EVs allow to set up 5 Substitutes in a row factoring in Leftovers
  • effective Para-Subbing strategy
  • set aims to cripple opponents team by spreading paralysis so Discharge and Thunder Wave are its main options
  • both Electric/Fire and Electric/Ice give acceptable move coverage
  • Thunder Wave works great with Eleci Ball as its power raises to absurd levels, yet it's not needed at all

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Alternate spread: 244 HP / 248 Def / 16 Spe Bold nature
  • Because base 105 SpA and Spe, they are high enough even with minimal investment as this set does not aim to sweep
  • Many threats can sadly come in with less fear of getting KOed by an attack (Doryuuzu is no longer OKHOed by Flamethrower)
  • Still not that bulky but there's definately a difference.
Some DMG calcs to show the difference:
252Atk Gyarados Waterfall w/o DD: 40.4% - 47.7% instead 52.9% - 62.3%
CB 252Atk +ve Scizor Bullet Punch vs. Manectric: 23.5% - 27.6% instead 42.2% - 49.8%
LO 252Atk Kojondo Hi Jump Kick: 77.5% - 91.5% instead 140.5% - 165.4%
0Atk Nattorei Power Whip 35.4% - 42.1% instead 64.4% - 75.8%

[Team options]

• Due to its frail defenses anything bulky is its friend
  • Bronzong, Skarmory, Nattorei especially make good partners as they have high base Def. Manectric suprisingly lures out many physical attackers so they have an easy time to set up entry hazards which help Manectric on its way.
  • Flying and Levitating partners help to cover its only weakness in Ground. Electric weakness of them are eaten by Lightningrod.
  • Gyarados in particular make a great partner for it because of Intimidate, good natural bulk and sweeping capabilities
  • Garchomp deserves mention as a sweeping partner
  • Drought Ninetales with a Balloon can be paired up with the choice set as it deals with more common weather Rain and Sandstorm. This also give you more power in Flamethrower / Overheat and stops Swift Swimmers and Sand Throwers in their sweep (speak of Doryuuzu).

[Optional Changes]

• Ballon gives you a second immunity and more safe switch ins this way
  • Magnet Rise also gives him immunity to ground but still it's too frail to pull full use of it
  • Roar, Lightscreen, Swagger can fill some sort of support for team yet it's just wasted a slot most of the time
  • Few physical options with elemental fangs, Crunch, Wild Bolt in combination with Curse / Howl
  • Base 75 Atk is too low for more than gimmick though

[Counters]

• Doryuuzu
  • Doryuuzu
  • Doryuuzu in Sandstrom
  • No match for most Gen IV Ubers who are OU for now (Deoxys formes, Darkrai, Latias, Latios, Shaymin-S)
  • Anything faster with at least decent Atk / SpA can deal heavy damage or even KO (Infernape, Gengar, Doryuuzu, Aakeosu...)
  • Anything with high SpD walls you but that's what Volt Change is for
  • Most dragons have usually less Base Spe but most times are bulky enough to take a hit and KO in return with their powerful moves (Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Ononokusu, Sazandora...)
  • Swampert and its fellow Water/Ground-types cause problems without Hidden Power Grass
  • In 5th gen, there are a total of 3 abilities that make Electric-type attacks absolutely useless. Those are Motor Drive, Volt Absorb and Lightningrod. Anything that has one of these abilities make your STAB absolutely useless which is a hard knockback.
  • Priority

[Dream World]

• Dream World ability already released
  • Minus is absolutely useless for singles so its other abilities outclass it 100% a time, especially Lightningrod

My very first Skeleton is done but it's not finished completely, Support set needs more testing. Help is always appreciated =)

Hey just a quick suggestion, You should mention that a good teamate to run with the Choice sets is Ninetales, it boosts the power of Overheat/Flamethrower and allows you to outspeed Dory. The downside is an increased Ground Weakness but things like Gyarados can help with that. Other Than that Looks great so far! Good Luck!

Hey just a quick suggestion, You should mention that a good teamate to run with the Choice sets is Ninetales, it boosts the power of Overheat/Flamethrower and allows you to outspeed Dory. The downside is an increased Ground Weakness but things like Gyarados can help with that. Other Than that Looks great so far! Good Luck!
I mentioned Ninetales in Team Options, thanks for this one.

Ok, skeleton got updated and should be done now. Waiting for feedback =)

Could Electivire be mentioned as a counter? He can come in on an electric attack, get the speed boost, and then hit back with a strong Earthquake, or force Choice-Manectric out.

Remove Light Screen on the Rain sweeper set; Manectric is not meant to provide "team support with Light Screen". Remove the slash with Hidden Power Water, and put only HP Ice there; you get superior coverage with HP Ice, forming a pseudo-BoltBeam combination.

Could Electivire be mentioned as a counter? He can come in on an electric attack, get the speed boost, and then hit back with a strong Earthquake, or force Choice-Manectric out.
I don't really think that Electivire is needed to be mentioned. It was hardly used in 4th gen and is even rarer in 5th gen. Despite that fact, not only Motor Drive but also Volt Absorb and other Pokemon with Lightningrod can potentially switch in easly. I'll mention that.

Remove Light Screen on the Rain sweeper set; Manectric is not meant to provide "team support with Light Screen". Remove the slash with Hidden Power Water, and put only HP Ice there; you get superior coverage with HP Ice, forming a pseudo-BoltBeam combination.
Yea, Lightscreen was totally useless in my testing, I'll scratch that. HP Water was pretty viable though. I'll still switch it as HP Ice is definately the better option in the end.

Thanks for help so far ^.^

Pulling this back from page 3..
Have to go off now anyways but I hope to get a bit more feedback 'til tomorrow as for me it's done so far.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
'sup Husky.

In my opinion, Manetric will continue living in the shadows of Raikou and Jolteon this generation around. The two aforementioned Pokemon can do everything Manetric can do, but more effectively. They both have higher Speed and Special Attack, allowing them to function better than Manetric could ever hope to do. Additionally, Jolteon and Raikou have better overall bulk than Manetric, which is even more reason to use them over this electric dog. Let's not forget that there's also a new Electric-type in town called Borutorosu -- an amazingly efficient sweeper that can utilize Nasty Plot and mixed sets with Hammer Arm to muscle through the special defensive behemoth known as Blissey. Its ability, Mischievous Heart, is even more of a plus since it gives moves like Taunt and Thunder Wave priority. For now, I say that we should focus on writing up analyses for Pokemon that have a chance at functioning in OU without being completely outclassed by other Pokemon. Unfortunately, Manetric doesn't fit this criteria. Perhaps it'll have a fighting chance when a UU metagame is established, who knows.

You put a good amount of effort into your OP, so I applaud you for that. I am impressed by your motivation and look forward to further contributions of yours in the future!

QC REJECTED (1/2)

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately, that's exactly the problem with Manectric -- Jolteon and Raikou have access to every single tactic that Manectric can pull, but they can make use of them more efficiently.

I do think, however, that you have put a lot of interest in writing this thread, and I encourage you to post other sets in the future for QC to revise them.

Have a nice day.

QC REJECTED (2/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)