Sandstorm offense

This is my first gen 5 team. I'd appreciate any and all help.

Obviously in a sandstorm team you're going to need a sand streamer.
I went for Tyranitar, because i'm not such a big fan of hippowdon.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 88 SAtk / 168 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Superpower

I decided to go with a lead set because I figured i might aswell, seeing as I want sand up asap. Fire Blast for stuff like Skarmory/Nattorei, who think they can lead off when they see my T-tar.
Superpower is for opposing Tyranitars and Darkrai.
And Crunch just for stab i guess.

But i'm not sure if this is the best choice for my T-tar. Would especially like to hear your oppinions on this one.

So next is of course the obvious choice in a sand offense team.

Doryuuzu @ Balloon Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Well who else? Given chance to set up, he will rape any non weather team
X-Scissor is to hit those pesky Grass types who resist Earthquake.
Not too sure on the item choice. Someone recomened Baloon to me. Is it worth the power loss of Life Orb?

Shandera @ Choice Scarf Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Man this guy is incredibly broken. Guaranteed to get at least one clean KO each match.
Standard spread for coverage
Energy Ball for Waters/Ground/Rock. HP-Fighting mainly for T-tar. And of course Shadoww Ball and Overheat for dual stab.
I went with Overheat ofer Fire Blast/Flamethrower because he's not staying in after i ko a pokemon anyway, so imo the Spe Atk drop is worth it.

Next I wanted a pokemon that could deal with the fighting types (mainly Roopushin) my Tyranitar and Dory struggle against so much.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobat
- Earthquake
- Fling
- Protect

This guy is easily the MVP of this team. Poison Heal Gliscor kicks so much ass. Only thing i'm unsure of though is the EV spread. Should i go for a more bulky spread? He seems to have an easy enough time surviving any non SE hits aimed at him, and then he just recovers again with Protect/Poison Heal.

So at this point i've obviously got a huge water/ice weakness.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 64 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Boil Over
- Wish
- Protect
- Roar

Vaporeon covers those two weaknesses, and then some!
I'm continually astounded by how beastly this thing is.
Obviously Vaporeon benefits from the new Wish mechanic.
Also I went with Roar because otherwise I would have big trouble with
Set up sweepers like SD Scizor and CM Cune.

Then in the last slot I just felt i needed a special sweeper.

Latios @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power-Fire
- Trick
- Surf

I mainly chose him because he's the strongest special sweeper i could think of.
Also he does help with a few of my weaknesses.
One problem i have with this, is that he's completely walled by Nattorei.
So maybe HP-Fire over Surf? Would also help kill the Scizor switch ins.

Overall I've noticed some big problems vs Nattorei, Skarmory, and SD Scizor. Maybe Magnezone over Latios?

So that's my intro to gen 5. I hope it's not too bad, and once again all help is greatly appreciated.

Well, the team doesn't seem bad, but you could expand on the explanations a bit. Explain why you use which move on what Pokémon, how the work together, etc.

The first thing that jumps out at me about your team is a huge Ice weakness. Two of three being x4. You might want to think about replacing Gliscor for Rank as it to can deal with fighting types and it takes no damage from ss. Here's a set I seen in the ou analysis:

CM Rank
Life Orb
Magic Guard
Modest
192 HP, 188 Def, 128 sAtk
- Psychic
- HP fighting
- Calm Mind
- Recover

That might help close some gaps.

- Wolf

That's basically the definition of Garchomp.
Lol true. Well i was comparing him more to Flygon because he's able to do much the same things (mainly U-turn).

Well, the team doesn't seem bad, but you could expand on the explanations a bit. Explain why you use which move on what Pokémon, how the work together, etc.
Ok i'll try. But like i said, I'm new to gen 5, so i'm not entirely sure what to right about the pokes threatwise.

I would say that the gliscor/landlos combo, though it totally shuts down the fighters that eye tyranitar and dory as deathbait, is somewhat repetitive both in terms of coverage and typing. gliscor with its superior survivability and lack of move-lock is the better choice to maintain on the team. as wolf suggested earlier, rankurusu is a good choice over landlos (or gliscor, should you feel the need for a revenge killer more) since it both provides special offense and an anti-fighting force. also notable are those weaknesses you mentioned - SDzor, skarm, natty. you were thinking along the right lines with magnezone, but the new magnezone is scarf shanderaa, who also serves well as a revenge killer. should shadow tag be banned, as i expect it to, you can switch back to landlos, but give scarf shandy a whirl and i do not expect you to be disappointed.

So if i changed Randorosu(Landlos?) for Shanderaa, should i still change Gliscor for Rankurusu? Although if I do that i'd have a big Ground Weakness, with only Latios left to cover it. Not to mention a big weakness to T-tar (idk if Dory is able to cover that all on his own).
And if I keep Gliscor, should i stick with the Poison Heal set? It seems to be working ok, but i'm not sure wether a Standard Lefties set would work better.

Update: I changed Randorosu for Shandera as was suggested, and he's pretty boss.
I tried out Rankurusu in place of Gliscor, but he didn't do the job that Gliscor was there for nearly as well (getting killed by Roobushin's Payback wasn't cool).

Gliscor is great, I would not replace him. You could do semistall with a bulkier spread as with Protect you get a free turn of sand damage on your enemy and a free turn of healing. Free turn of poison damage too if that's who you flung your orb at. I run Impish with a mix of HP, At, DF and SpD EVs. I don't know if it's ideal or not but they're 116 HP / 160 At / 68 Df / 168 SpD I think, off the top of my head. I'm always amazed at the attacks I survive sometimes, including my opponent. Being much bulkier makes you a better recipient of Wish as well.

I think you should replace Crunch with Pursuit on your Tyranitar so you can easily revenge opposing Shandera.

Otherwise your team is pretty good. Hope it servse you well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)