Keldeo (Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keldeo

[Overview]

• With the advent of Pokémon Black & White came the birth of a Pokémon based on the character d'Artagnan from the novel The Three Musketeers: Keldeo.
  • A slew of resistances, stellar offensive stats, respectable 91 / 90 / 90 defenses, combined with a reasonable movepool provide this pony with the necessary tools needed to take Generation V by storm.
  • Resistance to powerful priority moves such as Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, and Sucker Punch is a huge asset.
  • Resistance to Stealth Rock.
  • Low Attack stat is a big letdown. However, Justice Heart allows Keldeo to raise his Attack one stage whenever hit by a Dark-type move. Can also further boost his Attack with Swords Dance.
[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 3: Sword of Mystery / Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Ghost / Hidden Power Electric
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Justice Heart
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[set comments]

• After a single boost, Keldeo's Special Attack and Special Defense skyrocket to 534 and 324 respectively.
  • Hydro Pump and Sword of Mystery provide Keldeo with excellent coverage.
  • Sword of Mystery uses his Special Attack to strike an opposing Pokémon's physical defense, which is particularly useful for Blissey, Chansey, and Snorlax.
  • Sword Of Mystery is an event move and may be inaccessible for some time. Focus Blast is another Fighting-type move which can be used over Sword of Mystery. Beware of Focus Blast's poor accuracy however.
  • The Hidden Power choice is up to you. Hidden Power Ghost gives excellent neutral coverage and hits Burungeru for a 2HKO after a calm mind as well as Latias, Latios and Celebi who otherwise wall this set. HP Electric however allows Keruidio to strike back at other walls, such as Vaporeon, and still hits Burungeru for super-effective damage.
[additional comments]

• Surf is an alternative over Hydro Pump, but trades power for reliability
  • Leftovers can be used for survivability at the cost of offensive power
  • EVs are standard for an offensive sweeper. Keldeo also has the important base 108 Speed, tying with the likes of Terakion and Infernape.
  • Zapdos works well with this set, switching into many of the Pokemon that wall it.
  • Sazandora and Tyranitar can both trap/weaken the opponent's counters for a Keldeo sweep
  • Gyarados walls non-HP Electric sets, and Shaymin-S can outspeed and KO.
[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Aqua Jet / Aqua Tail
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Stone Edge / X-Scissor
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[set comments]

• Mediocre attack stat remedied by Swords Dance
  • Swords Dance puts him at 534 Attack or 489 Attack with a Adamant or Jolly nature
  • If you can switch in on a Dark-type move, Keldeo's ability gives him another Attack boost
  • Close Combat and Aqua Jet provide phenomenal coverage together.

[additional comments]

• Aqua Tail can be used over Aqua Jet but the priority is usually more useful than the power boost.
  • Stone Edge hits most Pokemon resistant to Keldeo's STABs, but X-Scissor hammers Latias and her brother, as well as Celebi.
  • Choice Scarf Garchomp is immune to Electric attacks and can chase off Salamence, Gyarados, and Zapdos, which otherwise hamper Keldeo's sweep.
  • Zapdos, Salamence, and Gyarados can take Keldeo's STABS and retaliate.

[SET]
name: Lead Attacker
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Sword of Mystery
move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Taunt / Hidden Power Electric
item: Life orb
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[set comments]

• This set forgoes boosting in favor of utility.
  • 2HKOs or OHKOs many common entry-hazard setters with a combination of its two excellent STABs and Aqua Jet.
  • Aqua Jet is for picking of weakened foes or KOing Focus Sash users.
[additional comments]

• The choice between Taunt and Hidden Power Electric depends on whether you want Keldeo to be more reliable at stopping entry hazards or dealing neutral damage.
  • Focus sash can be used if you feel Keldeo is too frail, but Life Orb is typically superior due to the damage output.
  • Pokemon which dislike entry hazards, such as Aakeosu, make great partners to this set.
  • This set definitely needs to be able to remove Pokemon which resist Keldeo's STABS if it is meant to be used midgame; as such, Tyranitar is an excellent partner.

[teammates and counters]

• Tyranitar is arguably one of Keldeo's best teammates due to its ability to eliminate three of Keldeo's biggest counters: Burungeru, Latias, and Celebi.
  • Entry hazards make it easier for Keldeo to KO threats. Nattorei is an excellent hazard-setter, as it also has brilliant type synergy with Keldeo.
  • Garchomp can happily switch in on the Electric moves Keldeo attracts. He can also jeopardize any plans Gyarados and Salamence may have to check Keldeo.
  • Many Dragon types can take attacks aimed at Keldeo and weaken teams with strong Dragon attacks, making it easier for Keldeo to clean up.
  • Anything that resists Keldeo's STABs and can incapacitate it with status or strong/super-effective attacks is an excellent counter. For example, Burungeru is immune to both STABs and can burn Keldeo.
  • Morobareru resists Keldeo's STAB moves and can incapacitate Keldeo with Spore
  • If Keldeo lacks X-Scissor, Celebi will walk all over it.
  • Gyarados and Salamence possess Intimidate and resistances to Keldeo's STAB moves, making them a fine check against Swords Dance variants.
  • Shaymin-S outspeeds and can KO with either STAB attack while resisting Keldeo's.
[other options]

• Keldeo can be an okay wallbreaker with Choice Specs tearing through teams, but is forced out by any prediction and often leads to losses of initiative.
  • Can run a Cheer Up set with Sword of Mystery or Close Combat, Hydro Pump, and Stone Edge, but is mostly inferior to the Calm Mind / Swords Dance sets Keldeo can run.
  • Shallow movepool means that not many other options are feasible. Choice Band/Scarf sets simply aren't worth it, as Keldeo does much better with boosted stats and the ability to switch attacks.
[Dream World]

• Keldeo does not receive a Dream World ability.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are we writing an OU analysis for this guy yet? Anything put here is going to be theorymon, as it's an unreleased event Pokemon and not legal in OU (or even anything other than Dream World).

I would just like to mention that HP Dark probably deserves a slash next to HP Electric. You do miss out on hitting Water type mons for SE damage but they are already hit hard by Sword of Mystery. HP Dark (or Ghost) still hits Burungeru but also hits Lati@s for SE and gets phenomenal coverage alongside Sword of Mystery. We probably shouldn't write this analysis now but keep in mind HP Dark for the CM set.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are we writing an OU analysis for this guy yet? Anything put here is going to be theorymon, as it's an unreleased event Pokemon and not legal in OU (or even anything other than Dream World).
It gets an OU analysis, but mentions of this guy in other Pokemon's analyses are not permitted ;)

I would just like to mention that HP Dark probably deserves a slash next to HP Electric. You do miss out on hitting Water type mons for SE damage but they are already hit hard by Sword of Mystery. HP Dark (or Ghost) still hits Burungeru but also hits Lati@s for SE and gets phenomenal coverage alongside Sword of Mystery. We probably shouldn't write this analysis now but keep in mind HP Dark for the CM set.
HP Ghost actually has better neutral coverage. Editing.

Also, I noticed this:
Bloo said:
  • Good 'ole Choice Scarf Garchomp can shrug off any Electric attacks aimed at Kerudio thanks to his typing. He can also make Salamence, Gyarados, and Zapdos run for their lives in fear of Outrage or Stone Edge.
Can anybody help me understand this point? It doesn't seem like Gyarados is good at shrugging off electric attacks.

^He is saying that Scarf Garchomp (with its Ground-typing), is unaffected by Electric attacks and can threaten the listed pokemon with dragon or rock moves.

^He is saying that Scarf Garchomp (with its Ground-typing), is unaffected by Electric attacks and can threaten the listed pokemon with dragon or rock moves.
FAIL. I kept reading Gyarados. Damn you dpp! I guess reading Scarf Gyarados shoulda' thrown me off a bit, but thanks.

If someone would care to test out the lead-ish set, that would be great, as I'm somewhat biased in favor of it.

Also I need a good name for it.

I would put Hidden Power Ghost as the primary slash in the 'Calm Mind' set, you yourself explained that it is more useful than HP electric, not to mention that you still have a STAB Fighting move to hit Vaporeon which will do a good deal after a CM or 2, while Latias, Burungeru, Latios and Celebi easily wall you without HP Ghost.

I would put Hidden Power Ghost as the primary slash in the 'Calm Mind' set, you yourself explained that it is more useful than HP electric, not to mention that you still have a STAB Fighting move to hit Vaporeon which will do a good deal after a CM or 2, while Latias, Burungeru, Latios and Celebi easily wall you without HP Ghost.
Done. Also, I'm considering removing Focus Blast from that set entirely.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Why use Hidden Power Ghost over Hidden Power Dark?
I guess that HP Ghost is there for Toxicroak, who otherwise walls this set if the coverage is Water / Fighting / Dark. Speaking of Toxicroak, even with his miserable defenses, he can switch into a Water move and then proceed to use either Nasty Plot or Swords Dance. One of the best counters to Kerudio in existence.

I guess that HP Ghost is there for Toxicroak, who otherwise walls this set if the coverage is Water / Fighting / Dark. Speaking of Toxicroak, even with his miserable defenses, he can switch into a Water move and then proceed to use either Nasty Plot or Swords Dance. One of the best counters to Kerudio in existence.
Not really a counter, since practically no one uses Toxicroak out of the rain, you know a +1 Hydro Pump with Rain coming off that Sp. Atk is going to hurt.

Not really a counter, since practically no one uses Toxicroak out of the rain, you know a +1 Hydro Pump with Rain coming off that Sp. Atk is going to hurt.
Your point seems somewhat contradictory. First you mention that it is in the Rain, but then you mention a Hydro Pump hitting Toxicroak in the rain. Toxicroak's ability Dry Skin prevents that damage.

Also, with regards to the HP ghost thing, Ghost/Fighting technically has perfect neutral coverage, which Dark/Fighting does not achieve and is thus inferior.

I have just a small suggestion for the calm mind set. For the choice of Hidden Power I've found that Hidden Power Ice is the best option for superior type coverage. With those two you can hit the dragon flyers that resist Kerudio's STAB's, plus with Ice you can certain Grass types that resist it's STAB's as well, such as Venusaur or Celebi. I'm not sure but I think the only pokemon you lose coverage on is slowbro/slowking and the water ghost one. Ghost is okay, but I've found Kerudio to be more effective with dealing with the dragon types that is beats in speed (If they are not scarfed, plus it stops them from coming in and setting up on Kerudio), where as you can always have a switch-in to the water/ghost type (I can't remember it's name right now). Ice also hits Latios and Latias that you mentioned in your summary.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Gyarados needs a mention RE Hidden Power Electric. Hidden Power Ice is probably worth an AC slot for Salamence as well as Lati@s and Celebi.

I have just a small suggestion for the calm mind set. For the choice of Hidden Power I've found that Hidden Power Ice is the best option for superior type coverage. With those two you can hit the dragon flyers that resist Kerudio's STAB's, plus with Ice you can certain Grass types that resist it's STAB's as well, such as Venusaur or Celebi. I'm not sure but I think the only pokemon you lose coverage on is slowbro/slowking and the water ghost one. Ghost is okay, but I've found Kerudio to be more effective with dealing with the dragon types that is beats in speed (If they are not scarfed, plus it stops them from coming in and setting up on Kerudio), where as you can always have a switch-in to the water/ghost type (I can't remember it's name right now). Ice also hits Latios and Latias that you mentioned in your summary.
Testing but so far that is definitely a good option.

Gyarados needs a mention RE Hidden Power Electric. Hidden Power Ice is probably worth an AC slot for Salamence as well as Lati@s and Celebi.
I thought I did...its under AC.

Wasn't it concluded that Sword of Mystery is a "move tutor" attack, essentially? To my knowledge, all you need is to catch the musketeer trio for Kerudio to be able to learn it.

-Zane

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Choice Specs could actually be worth using. Specs Hydro Pump coming off base 129 SpA hurts almost as much as a Specs Heatran using Fire Blast. If rain isn't banned, you're going to be completely squashing anything that isn't immune to it. Consider a slower Starmie with a truckload more power. Something like:

Kerudio @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justice Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid / Modest
- Hydro Pump
- Mystery Sword / Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Electric / Ghost
- Surf

I think Choice Specs could actually be worth using. Specs Hydro Pump coming off base 129 SpA hurts almost as much as a Specs Heatran using Fire Blast. If rain isn't banned, you're going to be completely squashing anything that isn't immune to it. Consider a slower Starmie with a truckload more power. Something like:

Kerudio @ Choice Specs
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
Gonna test that right now on a rain team.

Kerudio @ Choice Specs
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
Okay, so this set is okay, I'm adding Choice Specs to other options. The problem is that while tearing holes through shit, it gets forced out a lot, both on and off rain teams. It actually works really well with other HOLY SHIT KILL KILL Pokemon like Hihidaruma and Specs Lati@s.

Also fixed title.

In all honesty, Choice Specs is FAR more worthy of an actual set than Swords Dance. Its not just OO material. Especially under rain it wrecks shit up. Especially since it isn't ruined by Nattorei. Specs Hydro Pump even 2hkoes Birijion for god's sake. It just seems to me like you dont want to write up another set, no offense :/.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Aqua Jet / Aqua Tail
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Stone Edge / X-Scissor
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[set comments]
Mediocre attack stat remedied by Swords Dance
Swords Dance puts him at 534 Attack or 489 Attack with a Adamant or Jolly nature
If you can switch in on a Dark-type move, Kerudio's ability gives him another Attack boost
Close Combat and Aqua Jet provide phenomenal coverage coverage together.
Just so you know.

Also, since the English name has been released all instances of "Kerudio", "Kerudo", or an variation of it should be replaced with "Keldeo".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)