Torunerosu (QC Approved 0/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Torunerosu

-----------------------------------

[Overview]
  • Mischievous Heart, which gives +1 priority to moves such as Taunt.
  • Nice 115/125 offenses, complemented by a 111 Speed base stat.
  • One of the only two pure Flying types.
[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Gale
move 3: Hidden Power Ground
move 4: U-turn
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Set Comments:
  • Priority Taunt allows it to beat Leads who try to set up entry hazards, such as Deoxys-S. Able to break Sashes after Taunt with U-turn to another counter.
  • Able to deal some heavy damage with STAB Gale.
  • Hidden Power Ground to give good coverage with STAB Flying.
Additional Comments:
  • Somewhat outclassed by Borutorosu who has access to STAB Volt Change to use over U-turn and is neutral to Electric-type attacks.
  • Does not have too much use outside dealing with Pokemon who will set up hazards and hitting Machamp hard.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Wants a rain dancer if it intends to do any heavy damage consistently.
[SET]
name: Torment
move 1: Torment
move 2: Protect
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Gale
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
nature: Calm

Set Comments:
  • Mischievous Heart gives Substitute +1 priority.
  • Priority Substitute + Protect makes it hard for Torunerosu to get hit
  • Priority Torment.
  • Gale is to have a STAB damaging move.
  • Ground Immunity allows it to switch in somewhat easily.
Additional Comments:
  • Also somewhat outclassed by Borutoruso who can run the same set with Thunderbolt / Volt Change over Gale and is neutral to Electric-type attacks.
  • While ground immunity and its ability allow Torunerosu to use Torment fairly well, its below average defensive stats somewhat hinder it.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Because of its weakness to both Ice- and Electric-type attacks, Torunerosu has trouble dealing with BoltBeamers who will be able to switch back and forth between the two attacks.
  • Extremely vulnerable to Priority Taunts, as most will also resist Gale.
  • Does not require a rain dancer as much, as Gale will not be used as often. It stills prefers to have rain.
  • Needs entry hazards as its main purpose is to force switches.
[Team Options]
  • Torunerosu is weak to Stealth Rock and has no reliable recovery, so a Rapid Spinner is heavily suggested. Doryuuzu works well as it is resistant or immune to Torunerosu's weaknesses.
  • Torunerosu appreciates Entry Hazards because it often tries to make the opponent switch out. Forretress can be used because it fills the role of spinner and spiker.
  • Prefers rain in order to give Gale 100% accuracy. Kyogre or any number of rain dancers can help with this.
[Optional Changes]
  • Torunerosu can use Rain Dance, be given priority and gives Gale 100% accuracy and help in the weather rampant metagame.
  • Air Slash can be used over Gale. It has more reliable accuracy and the possiblity to flinch, but lacks the power that Gale has.
[Counters]
  • BoltBeamers can pretty easily best either of Torunerosu's sets, switching between super effective attacks.
  • Neither set can do much to Tyranitar who has super effective Stone Edge and will not be hurt too much from any of Torunerosu's attacks thanks to resistance and Tyranitar's Special Defense boost in Sandstorm.
[Dream World]
  • Competitive Spirit allows Torunerosu to boost its already impressive base 115 Attack.
  • Somewhat hard to pull off as Torunerosu won't have too many options to lower stats without hindering it.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No mention of Focus Blast? I'd say it's worth an option somewhere seeing that it is this thing's best hope against TTar, Doryuuzu, and Empoleon. (Not sure you'd want to 70% acc moves though :P.)

And for the Torment set:

Also somewhat outclassed by Borutoruso who can run the same set with Thunderbolt / Volt Change over Gale and is neutral to Electric-type attacks.
Gale has no immunities and makes Torunerosu a useful check to Fighters, something Borutorosu doesn't pull off nearly as well. (Running only a single Electric attack makes Borutorosu total Doryuuzu and Randorosu bait, wheras Torunerosu can at least hit them with STAB Gale.) I wouldn't say this set is outclassed by Borutorosu at least, the only real advantage it has is Electric neutrality.

Just some food for thought.

Hammer Arm and Focus Blast can deal with Tar.
Hammer Arm can deal with special walls like Blissey.
A choice set is viable, because nothing immune to stab flying attack.

I'm kind of a noob at these, but what about a subtaunt attacking set?

Tornelos @ Petaya Berry
4 HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe
Timid
-Gale
-Focus Blast
-Substitute
-Taunt

I've been using it on PO for a while, and it's actually quite good. 4 HP activates the berry after 3 subs, taunt stops walls from doing annoying things like healing, status, etc., while the two attacks have near-perfect coverage. The only problems are the low accuracy moves (the sub will help take hits if you miss anyway) and it get owned hard by borutorosu (who I actually have only seen like 5 or 6 times in singles).

I'm kind of a noob at these, but what about a subtaunt attacking set?

Tornelos @ Petaya Berry
4 HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe
Timid
-Gale
-Focus Blast
-Substitute
-Taunt

I've been using it on PO for a while, and it's actually quite good. 4 HP activates the berry after 3 subs, taunt stops walls from doing annoying things like healing, status, etc., while the two attacks have near-perfect coverage. The only problems are the low accuracy moves (the sub will help take hits if you miss anyway) and it get owned hard by borutorosu (who I actually have only seen like 5 or 6 times in singles).
If you are worried about accuracy, you can always run a physical version

Tornelos @ Liechi Berry
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
-Acrobat
-Hammer Arm / Brick Break
-Sub
-Taunt

Acrobat deals 100% more damage when the user is not holding anything. While Hammer Arm / Brick Break is substantially less than Focus Blast, you don't have to worry about accuracy as much. Maybe Bulk Up can fit onto this set somewhere? Or perhaps running a jewel instead of the berry?

You should add Bulk Up to the Other Options section. Torunerosu can use it pretty decently, and pull off a boosting sweeper set ; something along the lines of Bulk Up / Hammer Arm / Crunch / Taunt.

Otherwise, this thing has an incredibly barren movepool. Maybe a Choice set?

[SET]
name: Rain Dancer
move 3: Hidden Power Water/ Ground / Focus Blast
move 4: Rain Dance
item: Damp Rock
Ability: Mischievous Heart

I think this could be viable.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You should add Bulk Up to the Other Options section. Torunerosu can use it pretty decently, and pull off a boosting sweeper set ; something along the lines of Bulk Up / Hammer Arm / Crunch / Taunt.

Otherwise, this thing has an incredibly barren movepool. Maybe a Choice set?
I will think about it, however I kinda wanna pass this analysis on to someone else.

[SET]
name: Rain Dancer
move 3: Hidden Power Water/ Ground
move 4: Rain Dance
item: Damp Rock
Ability: Mischievous Heart

I think this could be viable.
This is OC at best I think. Rain Dancers are, right now, heavily outclassed by Drizzletoed.

According to veekun it's the only pure Flying type.
They forgot Flying Arceus then.

I will think about it, however I kinda wanna pass this analysis on to someone else.

This is OC at best I think. Rain Dancers are, right now, heavily outclassed by Drizzletoed.

They forgot Flying Arceus then.

Oh, <bleep>, Anyway, I'm thinking of this insane Choice Band set.

Aerial Ace
Hammer Arm
Return
U-Turn

It's so barren. Aerial Ace is the only reliable Flying Move. Hammer Arm is a great partner to Competitive Spirit. Return is a filler because it has no choice and U-turn for scouting. It seems so outclassed by I dont know what.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if it deserves specific mention, but Rotom-W (or other rotoms as well I guess) could probably be listed as a really good counter. It resists flying, is immune to ground, and has STAB thunderbolt. Actually, all the above can be said about Zapdos and Borutorusu too.

Not sure if it deserves specific mention, but Rotom-W (or other rotoms as well I guess) could probably be listed as a really good counter. It resists flying, is immune to ground, and has STAB thunderbolt. Actually, all the above can be said about Zapdos and Borutorusu too.
And Shibirudon.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Consistently, Electric-type Pokemon are Tornelos' worst nightmare, and specific Rotom-forms do make indisputable counters to him. I do agree with Chou that some formes of Rotom stop Tornelos cold and desperately needs counters to address it.

I think a Specs set should be added to the analysis. Specs Gale/Hurricane hurts almost as bad as Draco meteor. It seriously tears most teams apart. There appears less flying resists than dragon resists right now.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
So I think the first set should look like this.
name: Lead
move 3: Focus Blast / Hammer Arm
move 4: U-turn
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid/Naive
Also I definitely like the idea of a specs set, agreeing with everything STEELDRAGON said.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So I think the first set should look like this.

Also I definitely like the idea of a specs set, agreeing with everything STEELDRAGON said.
I agree with everything Pana said. I've used Specs Tornelos before and its pretty boss.

Also EDIT:

Ditto from a PM said:
No, I want someone to take it off my hands. Thank you!
I'll be taking this over for Ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)