Gen 5 Team

The Team

This team is comprised of old and new members. All the non gen 5 pokemon I have used before in different situations and makeups and have proven themselves useful on more than one occasion. The gen 5 pokemon stand out for their unique types, abilities and stats. I have one lead, a mixed wall/attacker, a bulky physical sweeper, two special sweepers and a wall, with a grand total of 6 immunities.

Agirudaa
Type: Bug
Ability: Sticky Hold

Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 HP
Moves:
- U-Turn
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Spikes

Agirudaa's speed is matched only by ninjask, making him a great lead. His high special gives him great attacking power to boot. I wanted to try an unburden/baton pass but I figured he was a bit too frail for that. Went instead with a focus sash to ensure he wont get one shotted.

Electivire
Type: Electric
Ability: Motor Drive

Item: Balloon (Immune to ground until popped by physical move)
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Defense
Moves:
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop

My favorite pokemon of all time, Electivire with a Balloon is a pretty incredible force. Immunity to ground until the balloon is broken with high hp means the first instinct ground move will miss and the next physical move used to pop the balloon (assuming the opponent has a physical out) wont put too bad a dent in Electivire's HP.

Starmie
Type: Water/Psychic
Ability: Natural Cure

Item: Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special, 4 HP
Moves:
Hydro Pump
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Rapidspin

The standard Starmie sweeper. I put psychic in there instead of Ice Beam because of the Dragon and Ice Punch user in the team. The first three moves give me great type coverage with rapidspin acting as the blow away for spikes and stealthrock.

Zuruzukin
Type: Dark/Fighting
Ability: Overconfidence

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 Sp. Def, 252 HP, 4 Defense
Moves:
- Bulk Up
- Payback
- Hi Jump Kick
- Head Smash

Spiking Sp. Def in nature and ev then using bulk up, Zuruzukin will be pretty difficult to take down. Add to that the attack from bulk up and overconfidence after a kill or two and you have an ever strengthening sweeper.

Sazandora
Type: Dragon/Dark
Ability: Levitate

Item: Life Orb
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moves:
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Surf

Its very nice having a special dragon not 4x weak to ice with these stats. Sazandora made the team the second I saw it. Its mean and has a great typing and ability, giving it two immunities. STAB Draco Meteor will leave most anything deader than disco with the Blasts covering all but its fighting weakness.

Snorlax
Type: Normal
Ability: Thick Fat

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp Def, 4 Defense
Moves:
- Curse
- Return
- Rest
- Earthquake

And finally Snorlax. (This section will be updated shortly)

haunter

Banned deucer.
Your descriptions for Agiruda, Starmie and Snorlax are too short. Expand them or I'll have to lock this thread.

Your lead Agirudaa is not by any means utilizing what allows it to be a good poke - scouting ability. Run Naive or Hasty and drop Fake Out and Energy Ball for U-turn and Focus Blast. This allows you to scout, hit steels / leadTar better, and generally be more effective by scouting switches. Electivire is not at all bulky, and needs sweep to sweep successfully so dump your HP EVs in speed and go Jolly. Since you have 3 Fighting weak, I would suggest going for Roobushin instead of Zuruzukin. Roob is a more potent sweeper, and provides somewhat of a check to Doryuuzu, of which you have no checks right now. Doryuuzu could singlehandedly wreck this team in Sand.

Run this:

Roobushin @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch

Hits more pokes harder, revenges Darkrai and Dory, basically a superior poke in my eyes. 416 Atk is also godly. For Snorlax, any levitating ghost walls you, and Skarm / Bronzong will laugh at you. I would switch up the moveset, and go for Body Slam or EQ / Crunch for more neutral coverage and to hit Rankurusu & friends super effective.

Also, drop White Herb for LO on Sazy and in my opinion Dragon Pulse > Focus Blast.

Good luck!

Your lead Agirudaa is not by any means utilizing what allows it to be a good poke - scouting ability. Run Naive or Hasty and drop Fake Out and Energy Ball for U-turn and Focus Blast. This allows you to scout, hit steels / leadTar better, and generally be more effective by scouting switches. Electivire is not at all bulky, and needs sweep to sweep successfully so dump your HP EVs in speed and go Jolly. Since you have 3 Fighting weak, I would suggest going for Roobushin instead of Zuruzukin. Roob is a more potent sweeper, and provides somewhat of a check to Doryuuzu, of which you have no checks right now. Doryuuzu could singlehandedly wreck this team in Sand.

Run this:

Roobushin @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch

Hits more pokes harder, revenges Darkrai and Dory, basically a superior poke in my eyes. 416 Atk is also godly. For Snorlax, any levitating ghost walls you, and Skarm / Bronzong will laugh at you. I would switch up the moveset, and go for Body Slam or EQ / Crunch for more neutral coverage and to hit Rankurusu & friends super effective.

Also, drop White Herb for LO on Sazy and in my opinion Dragon Pulse > Focus Blast.

Good luck!
Alright, changed up agirudaa, I'm not sure about having no checks to Doryu, saz has 2 moves to take him down, as does my electivire, with my starmie and zuruzukin having one stab move capable of taking him down, plus most of them are faster than him and if my electivire is up against a doryu its for sure going to eq first. This would trap it if it happened to be choised and if not it would take another turn to break the balloon.

As for roobu on my team, I picked zuruzukin because of his defenses, and roobu doesnt have the same defesne that zuru does. Maybe I'm missing something on that.

I get what youre saying about snorlax, should I drop curse or rest to get crunch in there for levitating ghosts or should I drop my normal attack?

Good point about LO over WH, made that change, why would I use dragon pulse over focus blast when I have draco meteor?

Honestly, electivire is too weak to do much damage, and balloon shows a message revealing it, so no one will use a ground move on you while it's unpopped

Encore or yawn over u turn on Agirudaa. I pretty sure it wont be switching out since he won't be switching out and coming back in. On Zuruzukin use rest over head smash and use shed skin over overconfidence. Shed skin will probably take away your sleep and gives a bulky sweeper like Zuruzukin some way to heal.

Honestly, electivire is too weak to do much damage, and balloon shows a message revealing it, so no one will use a ground move on you while it's unpopped
good to know about balloon, but electivire too weak?

encore is a good idea on agirudaa, I'm definitely dropping U-turn because im not running an unburden set on him so there's no reason I wouldn't just switch out manually.

rest on zuru with shed skin is a good strat, but ive had several situations where shed skin hasn't activated 3 turns in, I would personally have bulk up combined with leftovers.

Have you even started battling in 5th Gen yet? I mean, you seem totally unaware of the fact that nobody uses Doryuzuu outside of sandstorm, where it's speed is doubled with sand stream. It doesn't matter that some of your pokes have super effective moves when Doryuzuu outspeeds your entire team and uses +2 Earthquakes and X-Scissor.

For the love of God don't get rid of U-Turn on Agirudaa. The point of U-Turn is that when you expect the opponent to switch you get the upper hand by seeing what they switch TO. He's a terriffic scout.

Also yes without a stat up move Electivire may have good coverage but he can barely OHKO anything and is slow without a Motor Drive boost. And if you use Balloon you don't even get Life Orb or Expert Belt boosts! You'll be revenged on the spot.

And yes you have a huge fighting weakness and only Starmie to resist it, who isn't exactly bulky. You can only really switch in on two fighting attacks safely if you're lucky, and that's if there's no spikes or stealth rock. You better keep your Starmie alive as it's currently your only means of OHKOing Roopushin.

Then of course there's Blaziken, who with Speed Boost outruns your entire team withintwo turns and its STAB attacks hit 5/6 of your team super effectively. Again, only Starmie can save you and that's if you can KO it early before it gets faster.

Then of course there's the fact that you have no Steels and thus no means of resisting Dragon attacks. Specs Latios runs through your entire team with Dragon Pulse alone. Same with Outrage Garchomp, and Dragon Dance Dragonite/Salamence.

Therefore, replace Electivire and Snorlax with a bulky Steel (Nattorei is bulky on both sides and can set up Steal Rock) and if you want an effective physical sweeper you have lots to choose from. Garchomp, Blaziken, SD Lucario, Breloom, etc. Or hell, Shibirudon is a great bulky mixed attacker that is also Electric but has the Levitate ability and thus a permanent unpoppable balloon as well as a great boosting move in Coil. Definitely look into him.

encore is a good idea on agirudaa, I'm definitely dropping U-turn because im not running an unburden set on him so there's no reason I wouldn't just switch out manually.
Since Agir is super fast, U-Turn will out-speed most anything. Switch out, or switch out with just a little more extra damage on the opponent?

For the Focus Blast over Dragon Pulse dilemma, Focus Blast gets almost nothing that Surf or Fire Blast already cover, the only type being dark. (Saza is covered by Dragon, T-Tar and Waruvial are covered by Surf, Zoroark is just too weak to take a hit) Dragon Pulse is for when you don't want the drop is Sp. Attk or you don't need a massive hit, but still one that is better than Fire Blast or Surf. It is an all in all useful move in tandem with Draco Meteor.

Have you even started battling in 5th Gen yet? I mean, you seem totally unaware of the fact that nobody uses Doryuzuu outside of sandstorm, where it's speed is doubled with sand stream. It doesn't matter that some of your pokes have super effective moves when Doryuzuu outspeeds your entire team and uses +2 Earthquakes and X-Scissor.

For the love of God don't get rid of U-Turn on Agirudaa. The point of U-Turn is that when you expect the opponent to switch you get the upper hand by seeing what they switch TO. He's a terriffic scout.

Also yes without a stat up move Electivire may have good coverage but he can barely OHKO anything and is slow without a Motor Drive boost. And if you use Balloon you don't even get Life Orb or Expert Belt boosts! You'll be revenged on the spot.

And yes you have a huge fighting weakness and only Starmie to resist it, who isn't exactly bulky. You can only really switch in on two fighting attacks safely if you're lucky, and that's if there's no spikes or stealth rock. You better keep your Starmie alive as it's currently your only means of OHKOing Roopushin.

Then of course there's Blaziken, who with Speed Boost outruns your entire team withintwo turns and its STAB attacks hit 5/6 of your team super effectively. Again, only Starmie can save you and that's if you can KO it early before it gets faster.

Then of course there's the fact that you have no Steels and thus no means of resisting Dragon attacks. Specs Latios runs through your entire team with Dragon Pulse alone. Same with Outrage Garchomp, and Dragon Dance Dragonite/Salamence.

Therefore, replace Electivire and Snorlax with a bulky Steel (Nattorei is bulky on both sides and can set up Steal Rock) and if you want an effective physical sweeper you have lots to choose from. Garchomp, Blaziken, SD Lucario, Breloom, etc. Or hell, Shibirudon is a great bulky mixed attacker that is also Electric but has the Levitate ability and thus a permanent unpoppable balloon as well as a great boosting move in Coil. Definitely look into him.
Good lord man cool off. Ok I havent seen Doryu yet so I was unaware of that. Probably going to add shibi, I was looking into him earlier, Also looking into Nattorei.

But come on man, im making this topic not for you to be impressed by my team building skill, but for help. Dont be surprised if people make rookie mistakes sometimes on these.

"Fat Jaroda"
That's mature. But regardless, his changes are correct. Your team doesn't really show any knowledge of the metagame and doesn't take into consideration the plenty of powerhouses this generation has provided. Electivire in general is a terrible pokemon, and without any sort of damage output boosting move? You'd get more use out of a luvdisc. Replace this with Nattorei. No stealth rock = sin.

Nattorei
252 HP/(Split Rest of EVs into defenses. I can't say what's better, as both its defenses are solid)
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip

Snorlax+Sazandora+Zuruzukin? All fighting weak. What's this generation's main attraction? Fighting types! Replace Snorlax with Burungeru. With Burungeru, you are able to create the Natty+Buru core. Everybody's sucking rooby's dick up in this joint. Your lead is great (with U-Turn, of course). Sandy is also great. However, nothing on your team is really all that speedy. May I recommend choice scarfing the Sazandora? Make it a mixed choice scarf set. Then Zuruzukin REALLY likes Shed Skin/Rest. With that in + Drain Punch/Payback and Bulk Up, he's rather hard to take down.

Your team should look like: Lead Agiruuda, Choice Scarf Sazandora, Leftovers/Rugged Helmet Nattorei/Leftovers Burungeru, Leftovers Zuruzukin, Life Orb Starmie.

I didn't mean to imply you are stupid, but I was correct in assuming you are unfamiliar with the current metagame. I didn't come to insult you, I came to tell you what was wrong with your team and give you help like you asked, and I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)