Warubiaru (Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

• Interesting and excellent Dark/Ground offensive typing
  • Very good 117 Atk/95 Spe
  • Intimidate boosts decent defenses
  • Overconfidence allows for easy sweep
  • No access to Dragon Dance or Swords Dance, but can use Bulk Up or Claw Sharpen
  • Reliable but not amazingly extensive movepool which covers all of Warubiaru's immediate needs.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Crunch / Trickery
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Pursuit
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Overconfidence / Intimidate
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Set Comments:
  • Adamant Scarf Warubiaru reaches 424 speed, outspeeding most of the non-boosted, non-scarfed metagame.
  • Adamant Scarf Warubiaru is faster than and as powerful as Jolly Scarf Tyranitar
  • Intimidate and Overconfidence are both quite usable, with Intimidate giving (essentially) a boost to defense, and Overconfidence allowing to sweep more easily
  • Weak to common priority move (Mach Punch, Aqua Jet, Vacuum Wave), so must fall back on teammates for support at times
Additional Comments:
  • Good coverage with Stone Edge and STAB Earthquake to trap and kill with Pursuit
  • Trickery can be used, but Crunch is more reliable, as Trickery uses the opponent's Attack stat.
  • There isn't a good reason for using Jolly - Timid ScarfTran is outsped by Adamant Warubiaru
  • Outrage is an option to OHKO dragon-types such as Salamence and Ononokus. While Warubiaru does get Dragon Claw, it does not have enough power to OHKO most dragons.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Fighting-types, most notably Breloom and Birijion, counter Warubiaru extremely well, resisting both of its STABs and Stone Edge
  • Skarmory walls Warubiaru in every sense of the word, Warubiaru's 117 Attack is nothing on Skarmory. A few other Steels, such as Nattorei and Forretress, also counter Warubiaru.
  • Bulky Waters like Swampert, Suicune, and Gyarados can easily come in on Warubiaru and OHKO with Surf, Boil Over, or Waterfall.
  • Celebi makes an excellent teammate, taking the Fighting and Water moves, while Warubiaru scares away Dark and Ghost types. Beware of Bug-types if you use this combination, however.
  • Any Pokémon that benefits from removing Ghost and Psychic types is a good teammate, as well of anything benefiting from the removal of Rock and Steel types.

[SET]
name: Boosting
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Life Orb
ability: Intimidate
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Set Comments:
  • Bulk Up certainly the far better option here - the only move that really benefits from the Accuracy boost is Stone Edge. Claw Sharpen is only mentioned because it is possible for Warubiaru to learn - it's certainly good if you really hate Stone Edge's accuracy.
  • Intimidate allows Warubiaru to set up far more easily, and Overconfidence is not needed when you have the Attack boost from Bulk Up anyway
  • Earthquake and Stone Edge get quite reliable coverage together, and especially with a good secondary STAB like Crunch, it's easy to come in on something that will want to switch out upon seeing Warubiaru.
  • Trickery is not an option because after a Bulk Up or two, Warubiaru's attack is probably higher than the opponent's.
Additional Comments:
  • Reasonable defenses allow for a more defensive approach to setting up for a sweep
  • Taunt is an option over Crunch, as it will shut down Pokemon like Blissey and allow you to set up much more easily.
Teammates & Counters:
  • The same counters as above apply, again most notably Breloom and Birijion, but if you get to +1, most Fighting-types will not like Earthquake.
  • Bulky Waters like Suicune and Swampert are, again, excellent options.
  • Skarmory also completely destroys this set with a single Whirlwind, erasing all your actions. This is probably the best reason to run Taunt.
  • Celebi is again a good teammate, and a Choice Scarf Magnezone is also good to remove Steel-type counters that are not weak to Earthquake, most notably the Bug-types Scizor and Genosect.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Crunch
item: Choice Band
ability: Intimidate / Overconfidence
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Set Comments:
  • Choice Band gives a good immediate Attack boost to Warubiaru's good Attack.
  • Trickery should not be used as, again, you probably have a higher Attack stat than the opponent.
  • Intimidate is more reliable, but if you do manage a KO, Overconfidence can help a lot.
Additional Comments:
  • Dragon Claw gives decent coverage with Earthquake and Stone Edge, but nothing special, although it does help kill Dragon-types well.
  • Adamant Nature is a choice here, but the lack of speed will be quite noticeable.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Breloom, Birijion, Swampert, Suicune, and Skarmory are again among those mentioned, as they can all come in on any of your moves and kill you.
  • Celebi and Magnezone help deal with all of these threats very well.

[Team Options]
  • Celebi has decent defensive synergy, although Bug is a problem in its case
  • Magnezone helps trap and defeat Skarmory and other troublesome Steel-types such as Nattorei.
  • Zapdos and Voltolos both resist or are super effective against most of the Pokemon which threaten Warubiaru
  • Heatran effectively counters Genosect and Scizor, which are problems because of their Bug-typing.
[Optional Changes]
  • Mean Look is slightly viable on the Bulk Up set but is extremely risky.
  • Claw Sharpen can be used over Bulk Up on the aforementioned set but is inferior in every way except the boosting of the accuracy of Stone Edge.
  • Rock Slide can be used wherever Stone Edge is mentioned for accuracy issues.
[Counters]
  • Fighting-types, most notably Birijion and Breloom, which resist both its STABs and its support move, are excellent counters in every way, shape, and form, with Breloom getting higher Attack but Birijion with higher Speed and the ability to go mixed.
  • Bulky Waters, while not quite as much of a threat due to their generally slow speed and the fact that they resist neither of his STABBs, are also a problem.
  • Skarmory walls it in every sense of the word, unless you are running Bulk Up + Taunt, in which case Warubiaru can actually beat Skarmory.
[Dream World]
  • Warubiaru receives a horrible Dream World ability in Anger Point. Do not use this ability. It is a waste of your time. If you absolutely must, a Substitue+Salac Berry set is the best for you. Set up and hope your opponent gets a crit. Remember that this strategy is DESTROYED by all forms of priority.

What about this one:

move 3: Fire Fang
item: Chople/Tanga/Expert Belt
ability: Overconfidence

EQ for STAB, SE for coverage. Pursuit for STAB and picks off injured pokemon that try to switch out or traps ghosts/psychics. Fire Fang is really only here for one reason: Nattorei. It makes a good switch in to Waruvial because not only is it capable of taking a STAB EQ, it resists dark and rock moves while threatening with STAB power whip. This guy automatically gets a free turn to set up rocks or spikes when you switch out which hurts double when you lose the attack boost pursuit just got you. An overconfidence-boosted 4x effective Fire Fang takes it down and gives you yet another boost to keep hitting hard.

Resist berries are there for Roopushin's mach punch or doryuuzu's X-scissor. In most cases you're switching out against either one, but if you have 2 attach boosts and get a little greedy you might be able to shake off an unboosted hit from one of them and take them down with EQ.

Fire Fang with +1 Overconfidence boost does between 73.9%-87.5% damage to Nattorei with 252 HP, 252 Def EVs.

For team-mates, may I suggest any Water Absorbers to counter the bulky waters that'll love to switch in on any of his sets?
Vaporeon running HP Grass does horrible things to Swampert, and halts many Suicune sets, although it can't do a lot against Suicune itself, except maybe Toxic, which is often rested off. Either way, it's likely to force a switch. It'll also reliably take any Ice moves aimed at it. A good Ice Beam of its own hurts Breloom, as well, although it should watch switching into Grass moves.

You should definitely give Fire Fang atleast a mention in Optional Changes. It helps you out a lot, 2HKO'ing Nattorei, and OHKO'ng Scizor and Genosekuto.

Nattorei should definitely be mentioned as a counter to Warubiaru, since it can switch in on anything other than Fire Fang, and 2HKO with STAB, super-effective Power Whip and Iron Barbs damage. Even a +1 STAB Earthquake cannot OHKO max / max neutral nature Nattorei.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Sub Salac has worked for me. You don't need a Stat Up move because if you KO you get an Attack Boost.

move 2: Crunch
move 3: Brick Break/Stone Edge
move 4: Substitute
item: Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe / 8 Def / 4 Def

The EVs allow you to outrun Base 90s before the Salac Boost and you only need 3 Subs.

I have used the Scarf set quite extensively before and I really like Fire fang on it as metioned because it help KO Natto and Geno. I also find outrage to be pretty useful because it can score surprise kills on unsuspecting dragons especially non-scarfed variants.

What about this one:

move 3: Fire Fang
item: Chople/Tanga/Expert Belt

EQ for STAB, SE for coverage. Pursuit for STAB and picks off injured pokemon that try to switch out or traps ghosts/psychics. Fire Fang is really only here for one reason: Nattorei. It makes a good switch in to Waruvial because not only is it capable of taking a STAB EQ, it resists dark and rock moves while threatening with STAB power whip. This guy automatically gets a free turn to set up rocks or spikes when you switch out which hurts double when you lose the attack boost pursuit just got you. An overconfidence-boosted 4x effective Fire Fang takes it down and gives you yet another boost to keep hitting hard.

Resist berries are there for Roopushin's mach punch or doryuuzu's X-scissor. In most cases you're switching out against either one, but if you have 2 attach boosts and get a little greedy you might be able to shake off an unboosted hit from one of them and take them down with EQ.

Fire Fang with +1 Overconfidence boost does between 73.9%-87.5% damage to Nattorei with 252 HP, 262 Def EVs.

Alright, I will test that one out and see how it works, I completely overlooked Fire Fang on its Serebii dex entry, I don't know why.

And are you sure Nattorei runs 262 Defense EVs? (although it generally runs a specially defensive set anyway, it ususally doesn't have even 252 Def EVs).

For team-mates, may I suggest any Water Absorbers to counter the bulky waters that'll love to switch in on any of his sets?
Vaporeon running HP Grass does horrible things to Swampert, and halts many Suicune sets, although it can't do a lot against Suicune itself, except maybe Toxic, which is often rested off. Either way, it's likely to force a switch. It'll also reliably take any Ice moves aimed at it. A good Ice Beam of its own hurts Breloom, as well, although it should watch switching into Grass moves.
Yep, Water Absorbers/Storm Drainers help.

You should definitely give Fire Fang atleast a mention in Optional Changes. It helps you out a lot, 2HKO'ing Nattorei, and OHKO'ng Scizor and Genosekuto.

Nattorei should definitely be mentioned as a counter to Warubiaru, since it can switch in on anything other than Fire Fang, and 2HKO with STAB, super-effective Power Whip and Iron Barbs damage. Even a +1 STAB Earthquake cannot OHKO max / max neutral nature Nattorei.
After calculations, I found that the minimum damage Fire Fang does to standard 252 HP/8 Def/248 SDef Nattorei is 352, which is exactly 100% of Nattorei's HP. Worth mentioning? I think so.

Sub Salac has worked for me. You don't need a Stat Up move because if you KO you get an Attack Boost.

move 2: Crunch
move 3: Brick Break/Stone Edge
move 4: Substitute
item: Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe / 8 Def / 4 Def

The EVs allow you to outrun Base 90s before the Salac Boost and you only need 3 Subs.
Too easy to beat with priority. Also, 8 Def/4 Def?
Don't you mean 12 Def?

I have used the Scarf set quite extensively before and I really like Fire fang on it as metioned because it help KO Natto and Geno. I also find outrage to be pretty useful because it can score surprise kills on unsuspecting dragons especially non-scarfed variants.
Fire Fang will be added. Outrage is only useful on the Scarf Set, and will be mentioned there. Other sets (Bulk Up, Choice Band) prefer Dragon Claw, as they have the boosting moves.

@CTNC:The Pinch berry set takes too much from priority(weak to Mach Punch AND Aqua Jet).

Also, nice EV's you have got there ;p.
Like I mentioned, Pinch berries really aren't that useful in the Gen V metagame because of weather and priority. However, I will mention pinch berries in Other Options because Warubiaru does have a Sandstorm immunity.

Alright, I will test that one out and see how it works, I completely overlooked Fire Fang on its Serebii dex entry, I don't know why.

And are you sure Nattorei runs 252 Defense EVs? (although it generally runs a specially defensive set anyway, it ususally doesn't have even 252 Def EVs).

Nattorei should run SpA EVs, but I did the damage calc of a max defense spread to show just how effective Fire Fang works as an option on a pokemon as bulky and troublesome as Nattorei. So it should be a OHKO, but even in the worst case scenario it will take off a nice chunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)