(Finished) Real Pokemon League: Tsukino Con (Feb 25-27th)

Info: http://tsukinocon.com/pokeleague.html

So, I'm the contest organizer for Tsukino Con, Victoria's Anime convention (Victoria BC, held at UVic Feb 25-27 2011), and this year I'm leading a new event to the con, the Poke-league.

"This year enter the Tsukino region, challenge all 8 gyms + the Elite 4 to prove that you're the very best. Then compete for a chance to be crowned the 2011 Tsukino-League Champion."​

The Champion wins bragging rights... and a reserved copy of Pokemon Black or White. All trainers get to pick up some swag and collect the gym badges along the way.

Just to make sure everyone knows, this is a DS tournament with 4th gen games.

I'm also hoping to run a new couple of panels called "An Intro To Pokemon Breeding" and "An Intro To Competitive Battling" at this year's con. On top of that, a fellow Gym Leader and myself will be hosting a panel called "Team Rocket: A Beginner's Guide to Being Awesome." Oh yeah, and the rest of the anime convention will be going on too (like anyone cares about that :P)

So if you're in or near the Victoria area (just a ferry ride away from Vancouver) then you should totally come challenge the league.

Registration this year is $25 for adults (for the weekend) and $20 for students or anyone under 18. We also offer a $1.00 discount for each canned food item donated to the con's food bank drive. Yep, this means you can come in with 20 boxes of KD or 20 cans of beans and pay your registration that way. (Keep in mind canadian, though we exchange $US at 1:1)

There are pre-registration deals still available, which means beating the lineup by getting your pass early the day before or early access (Trust me, it's a good thing to get. Regular registration lineups can be like... an hour wait if you're not there early). I don't think there's a current deal going on, but there should be one more promotional price for Valentine's day. So if you're a stickler for value, make sure to register coming up to Valentines day!

I'll list the general format for this league in spoilers below. Feel free to ask me any questions in the thread, via pm, or through e-mail at contests@tsukinocon.com

And if you want to know more, visit our website!

So we obviously don't want to restrict the fun of trainers too much, as such the only real restrictions on trainers' teams will be:

-1HKO Clause
-Sleep/Freeze Clause (rolled into one for gym battles)
-Evasion Clause
-Species Clause

Gym battles will be done with teams of 3 pokemon. There is no restriction on the tiers of the pokemon used by trainers. All gym battles will be flat battles done through Pokemon Battle Revolution on the Wii (i.e. DPPt can flat battle with HG/SS so no worries about your version). Elite 4 Battles will be done with teams of 6 pokemon, and will have the same clauses active, but without level restrictions (i.e. level 100 pokemon allowed).

Whether you're new to competitive battling or you've used a level 100 Magikarp as a sweeper for the sheer fun of it, you'll hopefully find a fun and challenging time at the league ;)

And finally, a 30 second video of myself dressed up as a Team Rocket Scientist, advertising our convention.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGCS0wG-3c0
alternate take:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ThrCztMkw&NR=1\

Cheers! Hope to see you there!

/bump

I'd just like to bring it up again as time for the convention is closing in. There's likely to be a promotion for Valentines Day registration-wise. So if you missed out on pre-reg deals, I'd recommend waiting til Valentine's day to get the best pre-reg still available :)

Cheers
~ExoskeleGym Leader Mark

Wow. Too bad I live all the way in TN. I would so come to this. Looks like a blast.

You definitely have to update us on the status of your con, challengers, etc.

Good Luck!!! ^^

Good luck people. XD

Myself, on behalf of my Play! Pokemon organisation have organized a Battle Mall Event during Christmas day serious for a real life experience of Elite 4 like challenge.

3 Top 3 winners walked away with their BW coupon, which was due to redeem on 6th March. XD

All the best for the event and hope TPCi can spare more attention to genuine video gamers in future. :)

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'll be there! Living on the mainland right now but I graduated from UVic last year, should be fun to go back.

If you don't mind me asking, me and some friends are trying to put together our own Gen V League for a local con next year; and I was wondering, how did you make your badges?

So I'd like to extend a huge thanks to anyone who may have come out in disguise this year, and those who we knew for sure (like articuno64). This year's pokeleague was a learning experience, it was exciting, and it was a fun and awesome event that I will definitely be organizing next year.

I'd also like to extend a huge thanks to Jarardomartino for designing a few of the gym badges we used this year (And even one we ended up not using >.>) And Rittercat for designing the Geminibadge.

Below is a picture of this year's league champion, sporting all 8 badges.

Hope to see you all next year at the next Tsukino Region Pokeleague! I can say it'll definitely be happening in late february, so keep your calendars free ;)

If you don't mind me asking, me and some friends are trying to put together our own Gen V League for a local con next year; and I was wondering, how did you make your badges?
We had a button-presser.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)