Morobareru (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/591.shtml

[Overview]
<p>Morobareru's good HP, average defenses, and average Grass/Poison typing is not the reason for this Pokémon's unique appeal, but rather his access to the highly exclusive move, Spore. Although Morobareru's defenses are average, he is slightly more bulky then Venusaur in both Defense and Special Defense, which is not amazing, but pretty impressive for a mushroom with two Pokéballs for its hands. Not everything is all fine and dandy, however, as Morobareru does have quite a few flaws. Mediocre offenses, an incredibly shallow movepool, and lack of common Grass type supporting moves let Morobareru down a bit. Despite all of these shortcomings, Morobareru's decent overall bulk and access to Spore make it an effective utility and general glue Pokémon to many teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Powder
move 1: Spore
move 2: Stun Spore
move 3: Giga Drain / Grass Knot
move 4: Clear Smog
nature: Calm
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 Def / 48 SpA / 208 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The infamous Double Powder strategy is one that many Grass types utilize, and for good reason. The ability to incapacitate an opponent in one turn for possibly the whole match with the Sleep status is highly annoying as it is. Pair this with the common switching out effect that Sleep moves trigger, you now have an excellent opportunity to incapacitate another Pokémon with Stun Spore. Giga Drain has been beefed up this generation, now having 75 base power instead of a mere 60. Since Morobareru does not have reliable recovery outside of the inconsistent Synthesis, it is the primary STAB option. Clear Smog is another exclusive move that has good utility. It is basically a Haze that actually does damage, although it only has 50 base power. Nonetheless, Clear Smog is very useful against defensive stat boosters and Baton Pass teams in general.</p>

<p>The EVs allow for Morobareru to switch into offensive LO Suicune when Stealth Rock is down on the Calm Mind, always survive the Ice Beam Suicune fires off the next turn, and incapacitate it with Spore. The rest of the EVs were put into Defense to allow it to switch into the many new Fighting Pokémon this generation has to offer more easily, and the 48 SpA EVs leftover EVs that are useful for getting a little more health back from Giga Drain. There are many other EV spreads Morobareru can run such as 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD Calm which allows Morobareru to always survive offensive LO Starmie's Hydro Pump followed by an Ice Beam with Stealth Rock damage factored in, and KO back with Giga Drain after two LO recoils, Stealth Rock damage, and two buffets from sandstorm. The EVs you give Morobareru depends on which Pokémon you would like it to counter effectively, and what weaknesses Morobareru is patching.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Grass Knot is an option over Giga Drain, hitting many OU Pokémon for 120 base power. Giga Drain is usually superior as it gives Morobareru much needed healing, but if you desire more firepower on average, Grass Knot is the best choice. If you are using Grass Knot, use an EV spread of 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD Calm, which still allows you to always survive +1 Suicune's Ice Beam, but also gives you a bit more physical bulk from the added HP.
Entry hazards are incredibly useful when using this type of Morobareru, as with basically every other Pokémon in the game. Spikes and Stealth Rock are the best entry hazards to use, as Spore and Stun Spore cancel the effect of Toxic Spikes and vice versa. Once Pokémon figure out your Double Powder strategy, they will be stuck between a rock and a hard place after you Spored something, not knowing whether to switch out and take extreme hazard damage or stay in and possibly become set up fodder. Clear Smog's ability to force switches after removing stat boosts from Pokémon who get too greedy also adds to the viability of entry hazards when using this Pokémon. Unfortunately, the majority of Spikes users share that nasty Fire weakness, however, common Pokémon such as Heatran and Burunkeru help patch up this weakness if you choose to run a Pokémon like Forretress to set up Spikes.</p>

[SET]
name: Toxic Staller
move 1: Toxic
move 2: Protect
move 3: Spore / Substitute
move 4: Giga Drain
nature: Calm
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 Def / 48 SpA / 208 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Morobareru's only other viable set that isn't considered novelty is a Toxic Staller set. Basically, you Toxic something and then alternate between Protect, Substitute (if you choose it for slot three), and Giga Drain. Protect is free damage when you have already intoxicated another Pokémon, as well as a little free healing for yourself with Leftovers if sandstorm isn't up. It also is one of, if not the best, scouting move in the game, revealing what move choice users will lock themselves into and what moveset Salamence is running. For slot three, there are two options: Spore is always an incredibly useful move, being able to cripple any Steel type Pokémon who laughs at Toxic as well as neuter any Pokémon who you do not want to use Toxic on. Substitute is a great move to go along with Toxic and Protect, although with 30 base Speed, Morobareru is not the best user of the move. Giga Drain is the best STAB option to go with for healing purposes and general annoyance.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>When running Substitute, make sure you have Pokémon ready to switch in when Steel types rear their metallic heads. Nattorei, Metagross, Skarmory, and Scizor are all man handled by Magnet Rise Magnezone. Pokémon like Heatran and Suicune can utilize quite a few Steel types as opportunities to fire off powerful attacks or set up.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Defensively, Morobareru is weak to Fire, Ice, Flying, and Psychic. Heatran, as mentioned before, is an excellent partner to Morobareru as it is able to switch in on all of these attacks with ease. Steel types in general cover most of Morobareru's weaknesses, but be advised that having too many Fire weak Pokémon is not smart. Thick Fat Snorlax can switch in on Fire and Ice attacks, as well as special Psychic and Flying moves and proceed to fire off powerful Returns or set up with Curse. Bulky Waters such as Burunkeru and Rotom-W can take the majority of these attacks with little worry as well.</p>

<p>Offensively, Pokémon who can take advantage of the support Morobareru provides are obviously good teammates. Lucario can take advantage of opportunities that arise when Morobareru Spores or Stun Spores another Pokémon by either setting up on that Pokémon, or out speeding it so its sweep doesn't end shortly, respectively. Roobushin can take advantage of these opportunities as well by being able to set up a Bulk Up or two on sleeping Pokémon or getting the Payback off on a paralyzed Gengar before it faints Roobushin with Shadow Ball.</p>

<p>Generally, don't pack your team full of Pokémon with status moves, as this limits the opportunities when Morobareru can use Spore, its deadliest weapon. It is fine to have a few other status moves on your team, but stay away from other sleep moves because when you sleep a Pokémon, 25% of the moveset off of other Pokémon who knows a sleep move is gone.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Morobareru does not have many other notable options, as its movepool is incredibly shallow. Protect could work its way onto the first set over Clear Smog, however the lack of end of turn draining moves such as Toxic make it a lesser option. Venom Shock is a pretty unique move in that when your target Pokémon is poisoned, it doubles in strength to a 130 base power move. It is hard to work it into a set, however, as Giga Drain is much more useful for better STAB and healing, and Venom Shock in general is not a very reliable move. There are a few Hidden Powers that Morobareru can run, such as Hidden Power [Ice] for all the Dragons flying around in this metagame, or Hidden Power [Fighting] / [Ground] for the plethora of Steel types in OU. Most of these are afterthoughts, however, as even when super effective they will not OHKO anything without sufficient SpA investment, and status moves are generally more worthwhile to use if you predict a switch to one of these Pokémon anyways. Payback can work well with Morobareru's very low Speed, but lack of a physical Grass type attack or even Poison attack for that matter to go alongside Payback is disappointing. Last, Synthesis is a highly inconsistent healing move as the majority of the time it will only heal you by 25% due to the ever present Sandstorm, but if you have a way to clear the skies then it can find its way onto any of the movesets.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Espeon and Xatu reflect Spore and Stun Spore back at Morobareru with Magic Mirror, and threaten Morobareru with powerful Psychics, making them excellent counters. Insomnia Honchkrow is a unique counter due to its ability to easily switch in for free on Spore and scare Morobareru away with Brave Bird. Toxic Orb Gliscor can switch in with impunity after its Toxic Orb is activated and foil Morobareru's attempts to do anything with Taunt. Speaking of Taunt, most users of the move can switch in and make Morobareru basically useless, provided they get in to battle without taking a Spore or Stun Spore. A great example of this is Borutorusu, as it can Taunt Morobareru's attempts to status you and set up Nasty Plots or Bulk Ups, but you must be weary of Clear Smog. Fast substitute users, especially Gengar, can really screw over Morobareru once they get in safely. Roobushin with Guts can take advantage of Stun Spore by giving it a +1 boost to Attack, and proceed to Bulk Up in Morobareru's face, healing itself with Drain Punch along the way. Even though Morobareru resists Drain Punch, its large HP stat and low defense will allow Roobushin to heal enough HP from Morobareru to allow its sweep to continue. Unfortunately, there is an extreme lack of Restalkers this generation due to Rest lasting an extra turn now, so knowing when Morobareru will use Spore is essential so that you can switch in your least valuable Pokémon to take it for your team.</p>

<p>If you haven't noticed by now, the main key to countering Morobareru is getting into battle safe from status, because otherwise Morobareru has already done its job by crippling your Pokémon for the remainder of the match. Once you are in safely, many Pokémon can easily scare Morobareru away if not flat out OHKO it. Blaziken, Heatran, and even Salamence can scare Morobareru away by threatening a powerful Fire Blast, or in Blaziken's case, Flare Blitz. Mew can frighten away Morobareru easily with Psychic, as can Meloetta. So many Pokémon pack super effective moves against Morobareru, but it is just a matter of getting into battle without being statused that is important, as once you are statused, Morobareru has already done its main job.</p>

<p>An excellent "counter" that isn't a Pokémon is the Sleep Clause. Once Morobareru sleeps something, it becomes much more predictable, which allows many Pokémon with super effective moves to switch in more easily, especially those that don't care a whole lot if they are paralyzed. Take Enbuoh for example. It is so slow as it is that it could care less for the most part about being paralyzed, so after the sleep clause is active Enbuoh becomes a great counter to Morobareru.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Morobareru's Dream World ability is simply put, amazing. Regeneration allows Morobareru to recover 1/3 of its HP whenever it switches out of battle, which is really beneficial considering Morobareru does not have any good instant healing moves. It has not been released yet, but when it does get released, it should be Morobareru's ability of choice.</p>

Ugh, why can't this awesome guy get Poison Heal? If Breloom can do it, he should be able too!!

I think that Ingrain should have a mention in Other Options. I have used it very successfully with this guy. I lure out and eliminate potential threats (i.e. Steel, Fire, and Flying types,) send him out with Spore, Ingrain, Venom Shock, and Giga Drain, holding Black Sludge for those Tricksters, and have a field day when the opponent has problems eliminating this cool shroom.

I know that you said all users of Taunt in general, but I really do feel you should mention Mischievous heart users-Borutorosu in particular, as it cripple Morobaraeru with Taunt, and use it as set-up fodder with Nasty Plot.

Good analysis otherwise, Sadly, there is not anything else to write about this poor thing. Even its design is bad.

Ugh, why can't this awesome guy get Poison Heal? If Breloom can do it, he should be able too!!

I think that Ingrain should have a mention in Other Options. I have used it very successfully with this guy. I lure out and eliminate potential threats (i.e. Steel, Fire, and Flying types,) send him out with Spore, Ingrain, Venom Shock, and Giga Drain, holding Black Sludge for those Tricksters, and have a field day when the opponent has problems eliminating this cool shroom.
The thing about Ingrain is that you shouldn't have to take up team space to lure out and eliminate threats because Morobareru is a supporter. You do that kind of stuff for sweepers. Also, Ingrain is awful as you cannot switch once you have used it, leaving many Pokémon to set up all over you.

I know that you said all users of Taunt in general, but I really do feel you should mention Mischievous heart users-Borutorosu in particular, as it cripple Morobaraeru with Taunt, and use it as set-up fodder with Nasty Plot.

Good analysis otherwise, Sadly, there is not anything else to write about this poor thing. Even its design is bad.
Thanks =) and you are right about Borutorusu I'll add that in. However, it may be more hard to set up on Morobareru because of Clear Smog. Obviously Moro isn't going to use Giga Drain on a Flying type, and its other two moves, Spore and Stun Spore, will be unusable, so Clear Smog is the only good option. Therefore, Boru cannot always set up easily

Why do you invest into the defenses instead of HP?
I run 252HP/136Def/120SpD Bold and it works similarly.
You recover more HP with Giga Drain. I said in the analysis that if you choose Grass Knot instead, go with 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD

This is ready for Grammar and Quality Control checks!

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm not too keen on the no HP Evs either, is anyone able to work out what Evs grant it the best survivability cause I don't know how to do it (instant survability is a lot more important than gaining more with giga drain imo).

I've always ran a spread like 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD on this. I mean, it's way more important for it to actually survive attacks than to heal more if it lives.

With the set I have posted, Morobareru has about 2% less physical bulk, a bit more SpA, and the same SpD as 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD, which, as I explained earlier, allows him to still survive offensive Suicune's LO +1 Ice Beam with SR damage.

I'll change the EVs to whatever is best, but the spread I listed as the main one is stlill highly effective and has its own perks when compared to max HP

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but just recently I found a decent set for walling.
[SET]
name: Physical Counter
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Spore
move 3: Toxic / Stun Spore
nature: Bold / Careful
item: Black Sludge
evs: 252HP / 252Def / 6SpDef
ability: Dream World: Regeneration
Standard: Spore
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set will survive most common physical attackers, i.e Doruuzu, Garchomp and co. The idea is to use Spore after being hit, then use Clear Smog if they've set up (Dragon Dance, Agility, Swords Dance etc). Use Giga Drain to get your health back to reasonable level, and Toxic / Stun Spore is there for any switches. Black Sludge is superior over Leftovers, just to get at any Trick or Switcheroo users. There's no need for any investment in SpA seeing as most Pokemon you put this guy up against will be fragile. Regeneration is better than Spore in the long run as it means you can switch out Morobareru, and bring it back for round two. If playing in the standard OU tier though, you'll have to use Spore, and if you get Poison inflicted instead of Paralyze or Sleep, it can mean the difference between walling and not walling, on the plus side it could cause the activation of an opponents berry (e.g Lum) leaving them open to a Toxic, Stun Spore or Spore.

I think it is important to mention that this Mushroom is one of the best answers to Inconsistent pokes (though I think it will soon be banned if it hasn't been yet), due to its good bulk and STAB Clear Smog.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but just recently I found a decent set for walling.
[SET]
name: Physical Counter
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Spore
move 3: Toxic / Stun Spore
nature: Bold / Careful
item: Black Sludge
evs: 252HP / 252Def / 6SpDef
ability: Dream World: Regeneration
Standard: Spore
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set will survive most common physical attackers, i.e Doruuzu, Garchomp and co. The idea is to use Spore after being hit, then use Clear Smog if they've set up (Dragon Dance, Agility, Swords Dance etc). Use Giga Drain to get your health back to reasonable level, and Toxic / Stun Spore is there for any switches. Black Sludge is superior over Leftovers, just to get at any Trick or Switcheroo users. There's no need for any investment in SpA seeing as most Pokemon you put this guy up against will be fragile. Regeneration is better than Spore in the long run as it means you can switch out Morobareru, and bring it back for round two. If playing in the standard OU tier though, you'll have to use Spore, and if you get Poison inflicted instead of Paralyze or Sleep, it can mean the difference between walling and not walling, on the plus side it could cause the activation of an opponents berry (e.g Lum) leaving them open to a Toxic, Stun Spore or Spore.
Regeneration hasn't been released yet, and that set is the same one as the first set I posted, just with a different EV spread. I also mentioned that you could adjust the EVs to your liking in AC so there is no need for another set like this

Sorry didn't realise they were so similar. My set is more HP and Def bulky, and uses Toxic over Stun Spore. Again sorry my n00bish mistake. My appologies.

Sorry didn't realise they were so similar. My set is more HP and Def bulky, and uses Toxic over Stun Spore. Again sorry my n00bish mistake. My appologies.
it's fine lol they do have some small differences, but they are a little too similar to warrant two separate sets

Black Sludge is superior over Leftovers, just to get at any Trick or Switcheroo users.
Agreed. However, your sets still use Lefties instead of Black Sludge. I would recommend replacing Lefties with Black Sludge on all of the sets (what do Lefties do for you that Black Sludge doesn't?).

Trick. Your Black Sludge can get Tricked onto one of your own team members, causing them to lose health unless they are also Poison-type. Both Leftovers and Black Sludge serve the same purpose anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)