Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Finally ready to GP checks! Halleluja!

QC checks: (Iconic) (Bloo) (PK Gaming)

GP Checks: (Athenodoros) (Ray Jay)
--------------------------------------------

Shiftry

[Overview]

<p>After spending two generations in the shadow of most Grass-types in the game, it seems that Shiftry will finally have a chance to fight with the big boys in OU. That's because of Dream World's generous gift to not Shiftry, but Ninetales: Drought, which sets up eternal Sunny Day when entering in the field, putting Shiftry's Speed at minimum 518 until the weather is changed. Shiftry's movepool, unlike most others Chlorophyll abusers, is excellent on both the physical and special sides coupled with solid 100 / 90 offensive stats and with Nasty Plot, Swords Dance and Growth, enabling him to destroy entire teams. However, even with his great Speed under the sun, miserable 90 / 60 / 60 defenses mean that Shiftry is massacred by priority moves such as Mach Punch, Ice Shard and Vacuum Wave.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Grass Knot / Giga Drain
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Focus Blast
item: Life Orb
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Nasty Plot boosts Shiftry's acceptable Special Attack to great levels, putting it at 612 (Modest) or 558 (Timid) after a single Nasty Plot, and with sun support provided by Ninetales, Nasty Plot Shiftry can be a menace. Either Grass Knot or Giga Drain is a good option as a Grass STAB move. Grass Knot murders heavyweights in the OU metagame that are weak to Grass such as Hippowdon and Tyranitar, while Giga Drain is stronger against lighter things such as Politoed and Vaporeon and is a way to recover the HP loss from Life Orb. Dark Pulse is a useful STAB to have, being super effective against Chandelure and Gengar. Dark Pulse also has a nifty 20% chance of flinching, working well with his 518 (Modest) or 568 (Timid) Speed thanks to Chlorophyll. The last move is for coverage. Hidden Power Fire is boosted by sun and is excellent against Scizor, Ferrothorn, Heracross and Forretress, while Focus Blast adds nearly perfect coverage with both Dark and Grass, and is a stronger hit in Heatran, Houndoom, Hydreigon and other Pokemon that resists the Grass + Dark combo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Some other options can go in the last slot. Extrasensory destroys lots of Fighting- and Poison-types that try to end your sweep. Hidden Power Rock is a stronger hit on Volcarona, Charizard, and Zapdos. Finally, Icy Wind or Hidden Power Ice manhandle Dragons and opposing Grass-types. The EV spread here is simple, designed for a standard special sweeper. The choice of the nature is also crucial because Shiftry's Special Attack is quite low. Modest is preferred since not many things outspeed you under the sun anyway, but Timid is an option if you want to Speed tie with things like Scarf Latios or Jolly Kabutops if the sun is gone.</p>

<p>Since this set needs sun support to work, Ninetales is almost an obligatory partner, bringing eternal sun to the field. Depending on the last move, this set has different counters. If Focus Blast is chosen, then Scizor, Jirachi, and Metagross are an issue. If Hidden Power Fire is chosen, then Hydreygon, Tyranitar, and Houndoom scare Shiftry off. Infernape is a good partner to this Shiftry because it can use either a STAB Fighting or Fire move against the aforementioned threats. They also can beat special walls such as Blissey and Chansey with Hi Jump Kick and Close Combat, respectively. Priority users with a powerful move that Shiftry doesn't resist such as Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, ExtremeSpeed, Bullet Punch, and Ice Shard also destroy Shiftry. Chandelure either resists or is immune to all these moves and is strong enough to KO most of their users. It's also interesting to note that Chandelure resists all Shiftry's weakness except Flying, while Shiftry resists all Chandelure's weakness except Rock.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 3: Faint Attack / Sucker Punch
move 4: Low Kick / Nature Power
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to Nasty Plot and a diverse special movepool, some people often forget that Shiftry has a 100 base Attack stat (which is actually higher than his Special Attack), Swords Dance and a physical movepool considerably smaller than special, but that still can do enough damage coming from 656 (Adamant) or 598 (Jolly) after one Swords Dance. Seed Bomb is his main STAB move with reliable power, PP, and accuracy. For Shiftry's secondary STAB move, although may sound odd at first, Faint Attack is not a bad move and is not outclassed by Sucker Punch. In fact Faint Attack is a 60 base-power STAB Dark move that never misses no matter if the opponent has +6 evasion and BrightPowder, and an unboosted hit from Faint Attack can KO most Gengar and Chandelure if Shiftry is running an Adamant Nature. Sucker Punch has more power and always hits faster Clorophyl users and faster Choice Scarf-users first. It's also a good move if the sun is gone. Low Kick grants near perfect coverage with Grass and Dark, only resisted by Toxicroak and Heracross, and is also a good move against Hydreigon, Heatran and Houndoom. Nature Power in Wi-Fi becomes a 20 PP Earthquake, which is useful for dealing with Toxicroak and damaging Heatran, Blaziken, Metagross and Jirachi more (watch out for Air Balloon users, though).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Like the previous set, max Speed with max Attack is the basic EV spread for a sweeper. The remaining EVs go to HP. The choice of the nature is also significant, since Adamant nature allows Shiftry to KO things that it can't with a Jolly nature. Sun support is also needed, meaning that you have run Shiftry with Ninetales again. Like the Nasty Plot set, super effective priority will destroy this Shiftry. Chandelure makes again an effective counter because the chandelier can takes most of the priority attacks that hurt Shiftry a lot, while it also can dent most physical walls such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Shiftry can also take the priority moves that Chandelure hates. (Chandelure and Shiftry together resists all priority move). Chandelure can also destroy the Steel-type Pokemon that don't take too much from Low Kick that wall Shiftry.</p>

[SET]
name: Growth
move 1: Growth
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Grass Knot / Giga Drain
move 4: Low Kick / Nature Power
nature: Rash
evs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Growth now raises both Attack and Special Attack by one level in no weather, and by two in sun, and Shiftry has good offensive stats to work for mixed set. Dark Pulse is Shiftry's main STAB move and, as said above, is very useful with its good flinch rate. The choice of Grass Knot versus Giga Drain is a matter of potential sheer power that varies or consistent power and recovery. Low Kick is the best option for the fourth slot for coverage and to hit two of the main weather changers that may end Shiftry's sweep (Abomasnow and Tyranitar, although the latter won't enjoy boosted Grass-type moves anyway), while Nature Power dents with most Pokemon that don't take enough from Low Kick.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>If you're really worried about faster Scarf users and opposite weather changers, then Sucker Punch can replace Dark Pulse. A Rash nature is recommend in this set since you are going to use your Special Attack than your Attack. 56 EVs in Attack lets you OHKO Tyranitar unboosted and 2HKO Heatran, Hydreigon, and most Blissey while boosted (+2). 200 EVs in Special Attack lets Shiftry OHKO most Ghosts and Psychics with Dark Pulse and 2HKO Politoed at +2 (or OHKO if it has switched into Stealth Rock). Obviously, sun support is needed, so Ninetales is again necessary.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Most people expect Shiftry to be a setup sweeper, and this set proves that he can be an all-out attacker with good Special Attack, incredible Speed under the sun and a good overal special movepool. Leaf Storm is insanely powerful and can 1-2HKO most of things that don't resist it and that are not named Blissey or Chansey. Dark Pulse is a strong and reliable STAB move that murders Ghosts and Psychics. Focus Blast rounds the coverage nicely and hits most of the Pokemon that resists the previous moves hard assuming it hits. Hidden Power Fire is boosted by Sun and is Shiftry's best bet against Scizor, Forretress and Ferrothorn, while Hidden Power Ground hits Heatran and a lot of other Fire- and Steel-types harder than any other move.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The spread here includes the standard EVs for a special sweeper, with the remainig 4 into HP to allow more switches since it wil be Choice-locked. There are many options for the last slot. Hidden Power Rock hits most Fire-type Pokemon for super effective damage, while also damaging Thundurus, Salamence, and Zapdos more; Extrasensory murders those pesky Fighting-type Pokemon that want to stop your sweep (as well as Poison-types too, but mainly Amoonguss, Roserade and Venusaur, since most of the Poison Pokemon in OU are hit stronger by Leaf Storm or Dark Pulse); and Hidden Power Ice / Icy Wind grabs some OHKOs in Dragons such as Haxorus and Salamence.</p>

<p>All moves that Shiftry will be locked into have some downsides. Sap Sipper users will love to switch into Leaf Storm, Justice Heart users will like to switch into Dark Pulse, Ghost-types may switch into Focus Blast, and a lot of other Pokemon will love to switch in the last move. This will make Shiftry switch more than often, necessitating Rapid Spin support. Entry hazards are nearly a must with this set because they help Shiftry to score extra important KOs. Donphan can use Stealth Rock, while also being able to Rapid Spin. Hitmontop, while unable to learn any entry hazard, severely manhandle Blissey and Chansey. Speaking of them, they wall this set completely, so strong physical attackers, such as Darmanitan, must destroy them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Growth can replace Nasty Plot and Swords Dace on the first and second set respectively, but it's not recommended since it's too reliant on sun. Synthesis recovers Shiftry's health by 2/3 in Sun, but Shiftry is too frail for that to be effective. Energy Ball is an option over Grass Knot and Giga Drain in all special sets. SolarBeam can be used in all special sets bar Choice Specs, but if the weather changes Shiftry will be locked in it, and all weather changers have super effective moves against him. Foul Play may sound like a powerful move at first, but only if Shiftry isn't boosting his Attack, as it becomes more powerful if the foe's Attack is higher than Shiftry's. Brick Break is an alternative over Low Kick. Extrasensory hits Fighting-types and Poison-Types super effectively. Choice Band is viable with Seed Bomb / Faint Attack or Sucker Punch / Low Kick / Rock Slide or Nature Power. Explosion got nerfed, so never use it. X-Scissor helps against some opposite Grasses, but has little use outside that. Fake Out is useful on a lead set. Shiftry can SubSeed, but is outclassed by Whimsicott.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Choice Scarf Abomasnow can come in to switch the weather to hail, outspeeds Shiftry with a Choice Scarf and then send Shiftry to Hades with a STAB Blizzard or Ice Shard. Abomasnow must be careful of Low Kick, Hidden Power Fire and Focus Blast, however. Toxicroak and Heracross both resist Shiftry's main attacks (Grass-, Dark- and Fighting-type), only fearing Hidden Power Fire and Extrasensory. Toxicroak is more threatening because he can use Vacuum Wave, but the poison dart frog must be wary of Nature Power. Special sets are stopped cold by Blissey and Chansey, while physical sets can't pass through Skarmory. Ninjask outspeeds Shiftry if +1 Speed even if Shiftry's Chlorophyll is activated and can KO him with a Bug-type move. Shiftry's good Speed in the sun is negated by priority moves (against three of which Shiftry is weak: Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave and Ice Shard). Conkeldurr, Breloom, Lucario, Infernape, Weavile and Mamoswine all have strong priority moves. Virizion walls anything Shiftry has bar Hidden Power Fire, can get a free Attack boost from Justice Heart and can set up Calm Mind, Swords Dance, or even Dual Screens. Hydreigon can counter all kinds of Shiftry that lacks a Fighting move because of his moderate bulk and impressive resistances. If the sun is gone, then Shiftry is very easy to counter, but in the sun, it's very hard.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Shiftry gets Pickpocket from Dream World, which is a pretty gimmick ability. Chlorophyll is better, and Pickpocket cannot be used with Dark Pulse, Sucker Punch, Low Kick and Seed Bomb, so it's not worth it anyway.</p>

Don Honchkrorleone

Done. As you can see, Shiftry is usable (as much as Venusaur: with Sun support, because if there wasn't sun, they'd be bad) and shouldn't be here. Bump.

It's great to see Shiftry get some love this semester, even if it's in the form of another Pokemon.

Maybe you should mention X-Scissor and Extrasensory in the OC section, as they help handle some of the Grass / Grass-Poison / Poison Pokemon that will switch in to handle Shiftry.

Don Honchkrorleone

It's great to see Shiftry get some love this semester, even if it's in the form of another Pokemon.

Maybe you should mention X-Scissor and Extrasensory in the OC section, as they help handle some of the Grass / Grass-Poison / Poison Pokemon that will switch in to handle Shiftry.
Thanks. Extrasensory already have been mentioned in AC of all special sets, but I forgot X-Scissor. Thanks.

Don Honchkrorleone

hmm... Maybe you could put Nature Power into the optional changes? Doesn't it turn into earthquake during wifi battles, or was that a lie?
Completely forgot about this, Pinhead Larry. And is in fact better than Low Kick in some cases. I'll add in the offensive sets. Thank you.

@blamon123: Not anymore, thank God :)

Remove the slashes with Hidden Power Rock and Extrasensory; an AC mention along with Hidden Power Ice is enough for both of them.

With the nerf, Physically Defensive Evolution Stone Chansey can comfortably take an Explosion from Shiftry, so remove its mention.

Hidden Power Ice OHKOs Salamence and the other Dragon-types. Icy Wind will loew their Speed one stage, but switching out will remedy this easily, so I don't think Icy Wind deserves a mention.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyl
Nature: Modest / Timid
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Changes for that set made. Correct Chlorophyll's spelling in your place, wherever you use it.

...BrightPowder, and an unboosted hit from Faint Attack can KO most Gengar and Shandera almost all times if Shiftry is running an Adamant Nature. Sucker .....
Flavour text makes it enjoyable to read an analysis, but it would be better to refer to Shiftry as "Shiftry" itself here, as well as in a ew other places such as [Counters] and [Optional Changes], instead of "the tengu".

How about Foul Play on the physical and mixed sets? It seems especially viable on the Faint Attack / Sucker Punch slot on the physical booster. As it stands, all three of its attacks have at most 120 power against Blissey; I'm not sure whether Blissey still runs 252 / 252 Bold, but if it does, and it runs Flamethrower, then Shiftry goes down with her due to Life Orb. Faint Attack may not provide enough power, especially if Shiftry is Jolly, which is needed if you're looking to outrun Scarf Lati@s. Foul Play runs right through Blissey and Chansey if you like preserving your HP.

Or maybe it's overkill and not worth the nerf against physical attackers. I haven't been able to try it, but I think that it should at least be mentioned in this thread.

How about Foul Play on the physical and mixed sets? It seems especially viable on the Faint Attack / Sucker Punch slot on the physical booster. As it stands, all three of its attacks have at most 120 power against Blissey; I'm not sure whether Blissey still runs 252 / 252 Bold, but if it does, and it runs Flamethrower, then Shiftry goes down with her due to Life Orb. Faint Attack may not provide enough power, especially if Shiftry is Jolly, which is needed if you're looking to outrun Scarf Lati@s. Foul Play runs right through Blissey and Chansey if you like preserving your HP.

Or maybe it's overkill and not worth the nerf against physical attackers. I haven't been able to try it, but I think that it should at least be mentioned in this thread.
Who exactly would Foul Play handle better?

I'm not trying to be a jackass. I'm legitimately curious. :)

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
How are most things Shiftry is going to face heavy? Especially with all the rain teams filled with light water types running amok right now.
Energy Ball deserves a slash in with Grass Knot on most of the sets IMO.

I definitely second the notion of Giga Drain on the special sets, especially the boosting ones. Shifty is frail, but +2 STAB Giga Drain definitely helps in that regard, as well as healing off the damage it takes from rocks and spikes. Grass Knot is great againsr stuff like Hippo and TTar, but against lighter foes like Manaphy (!!!) and even the rain-producing Politoed, Giga Drain seems like a much better option.

Don Honchkrorleone

I've been out a day or two, so I'll reply all topics starting with ParaChomp's one

@ParaChomp: Thanks, Fixed.

@chocolate-kipp: Thanks. Fixed.

@Calm Pokemaster: Thanks. Fixed. And I call Shiftry tengu because the name Shiftry is being too much repeated. When (if) I get the second QC seal, I'll write it, and then I'll see what I'll do. Thanks, anyway.

@Iconic: Thanks. Now I need one more stamp.

@Capefeather: Yeah, Foul Play sucks. It only works well if the foe's Attack is higher. Thanks anyway.

@woodchuck: Forgot about Energy Ball. I tested it only with Grass Knot. Thanks, I added in OC

@Darkamber888: Forgot about Giga Drain too, but I tested it a bit and it works wonders. Added as an option over Grass Knot. Thanks.

@chanazn: Thanks. Fixed

@Juice!: Thanks. Added as an option over Grass Knot.

Anything else?

Although may sound odd at first, Faint Attack is not a bad move and outclassed by Sucker Punch.
You should reword this; either you mean "Although may sound odd at first, Faint Attack is not a bad move or outclassed by Sucker Punch." or "Although may sound odd at first, Faint Attack is not a bad move and outclassed by Sucker Punch."

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Cool, nothing to say here. Just get rid of the Manaphy mention since it's been deemed Uber. Let's get this through QC :)

QC APPROVED (2/3)

i think sucker punch could be viable in the mixtry set because of opposing scarf users and sun abusers. (and if by chance there is another pokemon out with infinite weather)

Don Honchkrorleone

@Steelguttey: I tested. Isn't that good, but it's useful in some situations. Added on AC

@PK Gaming: Thanks! I'll start to write up tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)