Meloetta (Unreleased)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meloetta

Meloetta-S

Meloetta is a really cool Pokemon with a lot of very interesting possibilities that it can use. One of the coolest things it can do is shift its typing and forme mid-battle with its signature move, Ancient Song. Even if it's not running Ancient Song to transform, it is a diverse Pokemon with a Jirachi-esque movepool and some amazing physical options to boot.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •​

[Overview]
  • Diverse Pokemon that can change its typing on a dime to resist a common attacking type that it would otherwise be weak to.
  • Hits immensely hard whether in Voice or Step forme with respective type of attacks.
  • May appear to have poor typing, but Normal typing actually helps it switch into Ghost-types that would otherwise be problematic, since Psychic typing resists the common Fighting-type coverage moves of Ghost-types.
  • Step forme has obscene offensive sweeping stats in 128 base Attack and 128 base Speed and can easily run through teams if it can transform with Ancient Song.
[SET]
name: Step Forme
move 1: Ancient Song
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Quick Attack
move 4: Shadow Claw
item: Life Orb
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Set Comments:
  • Meloetta is diverse Pokemon and can use this to its advantage by switching its typing and stat spread mid-battle with Ancient Song.
  • Has a 20% chance to put an opponent to sleep with STAB Ancient Song, making the move not completely dead weight.
  • Has excellent type coverage and STAB priority to finish off weakened opponents.
  • Outspeeds all non-Choice Scarf Ghost-type Pokemon in the game once it has transformed.
Additional Comments:
  • N/A
Teammates & Counters:
  • Meloetta despises Ghost-type Pokemon before she has transformed, as they block the successful use of Ancient Song, as Voice Forme's Shadow Claw is pitifully weak.
  • Needs partners that deal with Ghost-type Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Sazandora, Darkrai, and other Dark-types.
  • Once transformed, Burungeru can still be a nuisance with its great bulk, so either the aforementioned Dark-type Pokemon or something like Borotorosu, Zapdos, or Zekrom should be partnered with Meloetta. Borotorosu and Zapdos also resist Meloetta-S's Fighting-type weakness.
[SET]
name: Offensive Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psycho Shock
move 3: Grass Knot / Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Set Comments:
  • Meloetta is a powerful Calm Mind sweeper with excellent coverage within its attacking moves.
  • Not as handy of typing as Jirachi, but much higher Special Attack.
  • Able to break through Blissey with boosted Psycho Shocks.
  • Meloetta is rather slow with this set, but incredibly powerful with base 128 Special Attack.
  • Incredibly specially bulky, especially if it can get a Calm Mind boost under its belt.
Additional Comments:
  • Thunderbolt should be used with Hidden Power Ground to pick up as much super effective coverage as possible.
  • Grass Knot works very effectively with Hidden Power Fire to nail Pokemon like Nattorei and Groudon and Kyogre for massive damage.
  • Can run Psychic over Psycho Shock, but then Meloetta is walled by Blissey and Chansey.
  • If you're worried about the Speed stat lost from Hidden Power Fire, Grass Knot can be used with Hidden Power Ground or Thunderbolt too.
  • Life Orb is used for maximum damage output.
  • EVs are pretty straightforward in that they maximize Speed and Special attack.
  • Can use Ancient Song for a secondary STAB and to transform into the Fighting-type to avoid a weakness to Pursuit. This also removes Psycho Shock's STAB, however.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Has problems with faster Pokemon like Doryuuzu or Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp that can switch in and maim it with powerful STAB attacks.
  • Has general issues with Dark-type Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Darkrai, so teammates should be chosen to take them on.
  • Roobushin can really beat up both Tyranitar and Darkrai with his powerful Mach Punch and can also check Doryuuzu.
  • Skarmory is a good partner for handling Tyranitar and Doryuuzu as well, although all he can do to Doryuuzu is Whirlwind him away.
[SET]
name: SubCM
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Psycho Shock
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Set Comments:
  • This set trades immediate power for the ability to set up on Blissey, who normally troubles it with status of Seismic Toss.
  • From underneath a Substitute, Meloetta can hit faster threats hard if they switch in or set up if the opponent can't break its Substitute.
  • Meloetta is a powerful Calm Mind sweeper with excellent coverage within its attacking moves.
  • Not as handy of typing as Jirachi, but much higher Special Attack.
  • Meloetta is rather slow with this set, but incredibly powerful with base 128 Special Attack.
  • Incredibly specially bulky, especially if it can get a Calm Mind boost under its belt.
Additional Comments:
  • Because of the loss of a third attacking move, Psycho Shock is paired with Thunderbolt for optimal coverage.
  • Can run Psychic over Psycho Shock, but then Meloetta is walled by Blissey and Chansey.
  • Leftovers is the item of choice here so that Meloetta can set up from underneath a Substitute and not waste its HP from attacking.
  • EVs are pretty straightforward in that they maximize Speed and Special attack.
  • Can use Ancient Song for a secondary STAB and to transform into the Fighting-type to avoid a weakness to Pursuit. This also removes Psycho Shock's STAB, however.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Choice Scarf users aren't that great of checks anymore because Substitute lets Meloetta get a free attack and scout their move.
  • Tyranitar is a big problem with an immunity to Psycho Shock and the ability to take even boosted Thunderbolts with ease.
  • Has troubles with Doryuuzu because it can come in and walls Meloetta's entire move set.
  • Roobushin is a good partner because it can revenge KO and even quasi-check both Doryuuzu and Tyranitar with its immensely powerful Mach Punches.
[Team Options]

• Meloetta doesn't pair with any one Pokemon better than others based on typing, but it likes to be paired with teammates that can take down its typical checks.
  • Step forme sets will want partners that can deal with Ghost-types before they block Ancient Song, so Tyranitar, Darkrai, and the like are good teammates. Be forewarned that these Pokemon share a Fighting-type weakness with the Step forme.
  • Step forme sets also want to be paired with things that can take Fighting-, Psychic, and Flying-type attacks. Skarmory makes a good choice because it has good Defense to take typically physical Fighting-type attacks and resists the other two types.
[Optional Changes]

• Meloetta has U-turn, but only Step forme can really put it to use and it would be wasteful to switch out after setting up with Ancient Song.
  • Perish Song can be used on a support set with Toxic or Thunder Wave to function as a phazer, but this role is generally left to Celebi who can take hits from Pokemon like Mono-Attacker Kyogre better.
  • Meloetta is a good Pokemon to set up Trick Room because she can be rather slow, has respectable bulk, and can hit very hard and even OHKO typical Dark-type counters with Close Combat.
  • A mixed Voice forme set may seem viable, but non-STAB Close Combat coming off of a base 77 Attack stat is underwhelming. It is really only useful for Tyranitar.
[Counters]

• Step forme's counters are pretty much all faster Pokemon. Psychic/Normal typing affords Meloetta only two weaknesses to Bug- and Dark-type attacks, resulting in Dark-type Pokemon and Bug-type Pokemon being an issue.
  • Voice forme sets have trouble with Ghost-type Pokemon because they block Ancient Song and Close Combat after the transformation.
  • Voice forme also has trouble with powerful Mach Punches from the likes of Technician Breloom and Roobushin, although they might be scared to switch into Step forme Meloetta due to STAB Psychic-type attacks.
  • Both formes have trouble with faster physical Choice Scarf users like Garchomp because they're relatively physically frail.
[Dream World]

• Meloetta does not get a Dream World ability.

If I have some mixed-offense Baton Pass boost support, is it worth running Close Combat, or should I just run plain Psycho Shock, Thunderbolt, Hyper Voice, Hidden Fire Power?

I currently have Psychic, Hyper Voice, Thunderbolt, Close Combat.
I have Gear Change Smeargle, Nasty Plot Mr. Mime, and Cheer Up Umbreon.

I heard about an interesting Claw Shapen set that combined Thunder, Psychic, and Close Combat on Voice Forme back at the Claw Sharpen thread in Uncharted Territory. Has anyone tested the effectiveness of that set?

BTW, here is the original post:

Meloetta @ Expert Belt
Hasty 4 Att/252 Sp. Att/252 Speed
Ability: Serene Grace

Claw Sharpen
Close Combat
Psychic
Thunder

This is my favorite Meloetta set so far, almost as if Claw Sharpen was made for her. I would never attempt an all-out special sweeper set with no type of recovery or a way to get past Blissey, but what Meloetta has going here is a great combination of power, bulk, and the surprise factor. You can also use the accuracy boost from Claw Sharpen to safely attack with Thunder, which in turn gives you a 60% chance for paralysis due to Serene Grace.

First thing to note about this set is that stall runs itself into conniptions trying to take this thing out. Skarmory and Blissey have to fear Thunder and Close Combat respectively, Tentacruel is easy setup bait, Heatran can give you another free boost if it tries to switch in on you, and non-scarfed Tyranitar poses no threat to you whatsoever. Even without investment, an Expert Belt boosted CC from Meloetta is fairly potent. Just look at the calcs:

+1 CC on Wishbliss: 63.4% - 74.9%
CC on 4 HP Ttar: 91.2% - 107.9%
+1 CC on 252 HP Nattorei: 56.5% - 66.8%
CC on Heatran: 49.5% - 58.5%
+1 on Heatran: 74.3% - 87.6%

Keep in mind here that Close Combat is your trump card and you should only use it once you've set up and/or the HP range is looking feasible. You really want to lure in things like Blissey and Ttar, so it's best to smack things with Psychic and Thunder while you can and save CC for when your prime targets switch in, thinking they can force you out or KO on the spot. It's just unorthodox enough not to expect, but effective enough to warrant use.

I think it's self-evident what a super effective Thunder or Psychic will do to the Pokemon weak to them, especially coming from base 128 Sp. Att, so I won't list calcs for those. But I will add that this also a good check to Roopushin, something you absolutely NEED in this metagame.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
From what I've read Ancient Song has 10% chance of putting a foe to sleep, not 20%.

EDIT: Yeah serene grace...

I'm not really seeing the utility of Quick Attack. It can't be boosted by Swords Dance, it gets no super-effective coverage, and Step Forme is already at 128 Base Speed so you're outspeeding pretty much everything. It can't be used to revenge-kill either because you need to change formes before it is useful. It has its uses, but I would much rather run Return as a reliable STAB that doesn't lower defenses, and to hit Flying-types harder (and psychics slightly harder as well).

jrp

Banned deucer.
What about a specs set? Hits hard off the bat, seems like it would be useful

Yeah, IMO Return > Quick Attack. Close Combat + Shadow Claw has perfect coverage, so you might as well pick the stronger STAB move, right? 128 base speed is enough

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Seeing that Inconsistent got banned because of random chance to increase evasion, there might be a good chance, Ancient Song will also be under suspect as soon as Meloetta gets released.
Not true. A chance to inflict sleep like that isn't cause for such immediate banning, especially since there's no way to boost evasion with. If you have already slept a Pokemon on the opposing team and you use Ancient Song and put another Pokemon to sleep, then you will lose because of Sleep Clause.

Not true. A chance to inflict sleep like that isn't cause for such immediate banning, especially since there's no way to boost evasion with. If you have already slept a Pokemon on the opposing team and you use Ancient Song and put another Pokemon to sleep, then you will lose because of Sleep Clause.
In other words, use at your own risk and it's a 20% thanks to Serene Grace.

I would consider a mix set involving changing to Step Form.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
In other words, use at your own risk and it's a 40% thanks to Serene Grace.

I would consider a mix set involving changing to Step Form.

name: Step into the Mix
move 1: Ancient Voice
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: U-Turn
nature: Hasty
evs: 128 Atk / 128 SpA / 252 Spe

It's an interesting set and U-turn helps a lot as it changes you back. It's worth a shot.

10% chance without means 20% chance with... Also It's better not to suggest movesets you haven't tried unless it you were killed by it or know it's good

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144 this thread was made for throwing ideas around

I heard that when you use ancient song in the game, after the battle you stay in the form you left the fight in. That would mean you could just use step form then right?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I heard that when you use ancient song in the game, after the battle you stay in the form you left the fight in. That would mean you could just use step form then right?
Meloetta will revert to her base form upon switching out / at the end of the battle.

I'm going to lock this thread for the moment because Meloetta is a currently unreleased Pokemon. I will not send this to L&O, however, I'll just unlock it whenever the Pokemon does get released.

moving this to locked and outdated, if / once meloetta is released you will have priority to write its analysis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)