Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

finally found the resolve to clean up and finish that pagoda i started. might make it look prettier with torches and other blocks when i can be bothered, but ive got the structure and shit down. was a pain to do!

heres the skeletons that would congregate underneath me all during the night. fuckers :(

i haven't played this in a while -- i put it down because halfway through building my 'super-base' i hatched an idea for a vastly cooler base and ended up neither following through with my first idea nor starting my new one.

but before i put it down, here was my primary place of residence (unfinished, obviously). admittedly, it's not very impressive, but i liked it for a spell before i got bored with and abandoned it:

view from a hill just past my spawn point (check the diving board! it's the best part about leaving home to go exploring):

side view (i wanted pillars from that little overhang. at the time i didn't know you could make plain stone out of cobblestone so i just used a bunch of half-steps which were a pain to work with). in the left you can see a little wooden structure -- that was my first night shelter! now it's a major workspace, lots of furnaces and chests, and a shaft leading down to my strip mines:

front door. want to replace it with iron doors activated by maybe pressure plates, or something like that:

'foyer' i suppose. those workstuffs were meant to be temporary while i worked on the building:

spiral staircase goes up to the roof, which i intended to be some sort of garden. i put trees there for now:

and then here's the rest of the bottom floor! i wanted a lot of light coming in, but my roof garden idea sort of conflicted with that (ideally i'd have glass in the ceiling):

i thought there were some cool ideas going into this but as i started building it i thought of something 'cooler' and changed it, it just never ends in this game, does it? i guess that's the allure, but i got bored with it.

now that i think about it actually, i had set out in this world to make a new base before i put the game down. i returned to the surface after a lot of mining with bucketed lava in tow -- i had the grand idea to make an incinerator in a corner of my new home.

of course, my entire new base was built amongst the trees. out of wood. i don't know why i didn't realize it was a bad idea beforehand.... :pirate:

Guys, I'm sorry to ask, but how do I connect to #smogcraft? I don't know if I'm doing it right. I've downloaded mIRC, but that's about as far as I've gone.

Guys, I'm sorry to ask, but how do I connect to #smogcraft? I don't know if I'm doing it right. I've downloaded mIRC, but that's about as far as I've gone.
Type "/server irc.synirc.net". Then once it's done connecting and everything, type "/join #smogcraft". Both lines without the quotations.

I was just looking around the forum and stumbled upon this thread. Although I don't play myself, I was intrigued as to what people have done with this. I looked through the thread beforehand to try and make sure no one had posted this, so hopefully that's the case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94&feature=related

This guy started this massive project: to build a 1:1 ratio starship enterprise from star trek. Amazing...

I was just looking around the forum and stumbled upon this thread. Although I don't play myself, I was intrigued as to what people have done with this. I looked through the thread beforehand to try and make sure no one had posted this, so hopefully that's the case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94&feature=related

This guy started this massive project: to build a 1:1 ratio starship enterprise from star trek. Amazing...
Oooh, yeah classic. Pretty amazing although my friend told me there are builder mods that can do this stuff now.

Long week -_- Over the weekend, the smogon server went down for a while... I'm unsure as to why it did, but the main thing is that it's back ! forks also added usergroups other than the default, SO IF YOU LOG ONTO THE SERVER AND GET DISCONNECTED EVERTIME YOU DO ANYTHING, YOU NEED TO BE REGISTERED. PM FORKS OR MYSELF AND WE SHALL GET ON IT ASAP. He will then be able to add you to the builders list :)

I'd like to draw your attention to this. Going back to Stylish Interval's post on the third page about 3D modelling and the like, I believe this is pretty much exactly what we were looking for. It allows you to plan your larger scale buildings with much more accuracy, and even keeps a tally of the resources used ! You can view your design from 3 angles: birds eye plan view, height map and 3D projection.

You do need to install the Java 3D platform, and some people have had issues.. but it worked for me and a couple of other people, so try it out !

Ok, ok... you didn't think I'd get away talking about this without some kind of PROOF?? eh eh. Nom didn't think so. So I was just messing around in it, making some GIANT tree out of logs, and sort of a circular platform to build stuff on. But I got a bit carried away after really getting into the designg stage:

So lots of circles, all intercrossing and making some sort of gyroscope thing? I dunno, but it certainly looked cool. But could I build it? First off, the resources needed..
Wood: 702 logs
Glass: 506
Dirt: 2828

Oof! Well if we divide those by 64, we can work out how many stacks that is - 11 stacks of wood, 8 stacks of glass and 45 stacks of dirt (which is less than a full double chest). I already had MORE than enough dirt from random digging and spelunking, but the wood and glass would take a while. So off I went to Smogcraft Lumber to collect my wood. About an hour later, and 15 or so stone axes later I have my stacks ! Woop, now sand... this should've be a bit quicker since you just need to find a beach or desert and hold down the mouse.. but you go through shovels so quickly that i swear it took longer than the wood. Anyway, after a couple of hours I had all my resources.

I can't be bothered to through and comment on each part of the building stage from here on out, so I'll just dump some pictures:

I'm still building up the contours and terrain on the surface, but I definitely want a couple of creative builders to join in and add their own touches to it!

And don't forget to bookmark Notch's blog. Next update is on Thursday :o

dan, my mind is fucking blown. that is unbelievable.

most of the stuff ive seen people do using that program is just create massive statues of people or things, but..fuck, im gonna go play more minecraft. in fact im gonna try and get onto our server again i think :)

am i connecting to the right IP? the one dan pmed me like a week ago which starts with 64?

just wondering, since its been a while since i joined and im not sure if im on the old server or the new one.

edit: this cow just wanted to look at my pagoda. he does not give a shit.

We implemented a registration system to the Smogcraft server. Anyone not registered gets kicked on trying to do anything that's not moving. We're looking into better solutions, but for now, griefers are the last of our problems!

you can talk, too!

of course, having a registration system would be meaningless if we didn't have new members. the server is now open to the public, but remember: before you can interact with the environment, you need to register with the server staff (me/CactusMaster or Dan Dan/Porydan2). you can contact us in-game, here on the forum by pm, or through irc (#smogcraft on synirc)!

here is the ip: 64.34.198.200:29865
(this is the new dedicated server, so if lag deterred you in the past, give it another shot now! the suckage has been significantly reduced)

in addition, the minecraft social group is now open to the public without need for approval \o/

We implemented a registration system to the Smogcraft server. Anyone not registered gets kicked on trying to do anything that's not moving.
That's not entirely true. You can also eat food if you're given some, and I'm pretty sure you can attack mobs without getting kicked. So you can always go on a suicide rush until you get registered. :D

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus

because i miss autumn

either paintings are sill bugged
or i am a very notorious art thief

creepers do suck, but i think skeletons are more formidable adversaries

firebot lighthouse!
on the coast bordering swag mountain

Awesome stuff, RG. Your work and Dan Dan's tree...thingy make me want to build something huge and spectacular too. My dopey cobblestone tower by Cyzir's house isn't awesome enough... :(

I'll be brainstorming something to make, but I'd love to hear your ideas too!

They brought back colored wool? Or has it been back o.o

I really need to get on the server (names Veedrock if you want to register me in advance), but I'm in a similar situation as others of having no idea what to do when I get there :(

Sheep now come in black, white, and gray (one shade of gray, iirc)

Flowers can make dyes, as can a new ore. Red flower, yellow flower, blue ore, black ink from squids, white dye from ground up sketon's bones

Oh, and you can dye a sheep to save on dyes.

I really need to get on the server (names Veedrock if you want to register me in advance), but I'm in a similar situation as others of having no idea what to do when I get there :(
so i had this problem too. in fact, i got there, found dan, and followed him, literally doing nothing for 20 minutes, until finally i grew some balls but not really and sheeply asked 'can i mine?' and i'm pretty sure i looked like the biggest noob ever. luckily no one else was on.

but really i introduced myself to people and everyone is really nice and you can build your house and stuff, just don't steal! and community mines are nice. it's really a nice server, better than others i'm on. nice people willing to help out and teach you = good server experience =D

So uh, I need opinions guys. Should the Mr. Koffing be color-ized? Or should he stay in his orginal black and white glory?!

Other projects I have on Smogcraft include a Giant Dugtrio home and possible large scale project of remaking Goron City from Ocarina of Time. We'll see how that goes.

Introducing, the swag wag.

The door

the front

lavish interior

side view

!

Also, most of the times I go to play classic I get the black screen of no playing. I use a mac and could somebody please help me with this?

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So uh, I need opinions guys. Should the Mr. Koffing be color-ized? Or should he stay in his orginal black and white glory?!

Other projects I have on Smogcraft include a Giant Dugtrio home and possible large scale project of remaking Goron City from Ocarina of Time. We'll see how that goes.

The solution is simple: make ANOTHER Koffing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)