Eevee (Analysis)

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC: 2/2 (Zeph, ShinyAzelf) GP: 2/2 (jc104, Fatecrashers)

Eevee

--------

[Overview]

<p>Very little has changed for Eevee since Gen 4. Thanks to Adapability, its STAB moves are doubled in power, making Eevee an excellent user of Choice Band with access to powerful priority in Quick Attack. However, with the advent of Eviolite, Eevee's power has become somewhat less impressive. Eevee can also work well as a mixed attacker, with Work Up allowing it to raise both attacking stats at once to make it a potent stall-breaker. Despite its poor movepool, Eevee can still sweep successfully with the correct support.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Quick Attack
move 2: Return
move 3: Bite
move 4: Baton Pass / Iron Tail
item: Choice Band
ability: Adaptability
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Eevee's most powerful approach that doesn't require set up. Quick Attack is good for hitting faster Pokemon, such as Shell Smash users and Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf. Return's massive power of 204 will deal serious damage to anything that does not resist it. While Bite has low Base Power, it is Eevee's only weapon against Ghost-types, who are immune to its powerful STAB Normal attacks. Baton Pass is used in the last slot for scouting purposes. The EV spread is very simple: 236 in Attack and Speed maximize Eevee's sweeping capabilities. A Jolly nature is encouraged to make Eevee as fast as possible.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>If you do not wish to run Baton Pass, Iron Tail is an option. It can hit Rock-types who resist Eevee's STAB attacks. Ghost-type and Steel-type Pokemon are a problem for this Eevee variant because they can come in, being immune or resistant to its Normal-type attacks, and proceed to set up while you are locked in on a useless move. Pursuit users such as Pawniard and Munchlax make good partners for Eevee as they can trap and kill Ghost-type Pokemon. Magnemite is also a good partner because it can trap Steel-type Pokemon. An Adamant nature can be used for maximum power.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Work Up / Return
move 2: Quick Attack
move 3: Shadow Ball / Bite
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb
ability: Adaptability
nature: Naive / Hasty
evs: 192 Atk / 80 SAtk / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Work Up makes Eevee a powerful mixed sweeper. It can come in on a support Pokemon, such as Ferroseed, or a weakened Pokemon, scare them out, and proceed to set up. After 1 Work Up, Quick Attack becomes more powerful than a Choice Banded one thanks to the Life Orb boost. Shadow Ball / Bite covers Ghost-type Pokemon. However, faster Ghost-types such as Gastly will outspeed you, so you will need to predict their seitch in. Hidden Power Fire is great for hitting Steel-types like Ferroseed, who will want to switch in and wall your powerful Normal-type attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Return can be used in the place of Work Up if you want Eevee to be an all-out-attacker. Shadow Ball has better coverage than Bite, and a higher Base Power, but Bite is an option because Eevee has a higher Attack stat than Special Attack, and it can hit Frillish on its weaker defensive side. Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Hippopotas on the switch in, however Hidden Power Fire is strongly recommended to hit Steel-type Pokemon, who otherwise wall you.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Yawn is a viable move. It can be used with Protect to shut down a member of the opponent's team. Baton Pass can be used to pass on a Work Up boost, which could come in useful. Eevee can pass on its stat boosts when it is low on health and give anotherteammate an opportunity to sweep. Although gimmicky, a Curse set could work. With an Eviolite, maximum Hit Points and Special Defense, Eevee can take on the role of a tank. Quick Attack ignores the Speed drops, which is very useful, and Ghost-types with Hidden Power Fighting won't do much damage when Eevee has an Eviolite and maxed out Special Defense. Wish is an option to recover Eevee's health, if you are using a bulky variant; it can also provide useful Wish support for the entire team. Hidden Power Ground can be used on the mixed attacker set to hit Steel Pokemon, most notably Aron.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ghost-type Pokemon generally check Eevee because they are immune to its powerful STAB attacks. Gastly can easily switch in on a Quick Attack or Return, and set up a Substitute without taking any damage. With some prediction, Eevee can beat Ghost-type Pokemon with Bite as they switch in, so they are not true counters. Bulky Steel-type Pokemon such as Ferroseed resist Eevee's STAB attacks, but they must watch out for Hidden Power if Eevee is running the mixed attacker set.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Eevee gets the Anticipation ability from Dream World, which is absolutely useless. Adaptability is most definitely the preferred ability.</p>

I think Jolly should be the main slash on the first set and the second set should be Naive (the only special priority attack, Vacuum Wave, is most commonly carried by Croagunk, who you outpseed with Quick Attack anyway.) Plus, I don't think Bite should be slashed in the mixed attack set. Shadow Ball has better coverage (hits fighting-types, although it barely matters) and is stronger. Also, I think return is pretty needed. Cheer Up would probably be better as the main slash with the Hidden Powers. Plus, I'm going to point this out because I'm a dick.

Mooo said:
It's Stab moves are doubled thanks to adapability, which makes Eevee a powerhouse in Little Cupp
It's is a conjunction for "it is," its is referring to one with possession!

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, I went for adamant because Eevee really needs the extra power with all those Evo Stones going around. Priority users are really the only place where that matters, and it is still a speed tie against Croagunk at best. Imo its better just to go with Adamant and pair Eevee with Pururiu, who resists most priorities.

You make a good point about Bite vs. Shadow Ball. I put Bite first because Eevee has more attack and Pururiu is Specially Defensive. I might swap them around, but I'll still leave Bite as an option for that reason. (The flinch rate is always cool too :D)

Also, if you run Cheer Up over Hp Fire, Tesshido, and other Steels totally screws you over, and it'd also make it a pretty lackluster Mixed attacker set. You have a point about Return though. I want to get a few more opinions about that before i make a decision.

You are a dick -.-"
*fixes topic* :(

Why not slash Return in front of HP Fire? Eevee is quite frail, STAB attacks from almost anything can knock it over. It's not finding much time to set up. Base 204 Returns are a big portion of why anyone uses Eevee.

Also, Iron Tail is kind of...shitty. Unslash it.

Moo

Professor
Yes, Return is very important, but so is Hidden Power Fire. Hidden Power Fire is necessary on this set because it allows you to hit Steel types which is an advantage it has over a physical only set. I'm considering making Return the first Slash instead of Cheer Up.

Also, I know Iron Tail is shitty, but that is about as far as Eevee's movepool stretches :/ Also, Rock type pokemon wall Eevee too, so it is viable (remember its the second slash, so it isnt that big a deal, it's just an option)

It can used to quickly revenge kill a scarfed pokemon midgame such as Wailord or Mankey.
This is LC, so Wailord --> Wailmer.

If you do not wish to run Baton Pass, Iron Head is an option. It can hit rock types that also resist Eevee's Stab attacks.
Uh, I guess you mean Iron Tail. Iron Tail is epic shitty, but I guess Eevee's movepool sucks. It gets walled by Steels though.

Also, stick with Jolly, more often than not the extra attack point won't tack you any extra damage, and the Speed is just too important to pass up.

Jolly > Adamant most of the time in LC.

I wouldn't call Anticipation completely useless. It actually lets you scout what set Misdreavus and Gastly are running, and they're common switch ins (on missy, if it runs HP fighting, you know it's probably LO and if Gastly runs HP fighting you know it's scarfed and can go to a ghost)

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quality Control 1/2

I think that is about the gist of Eevee's capabilities in this generation and tier.

Moo

Professor
Thanks Zeph :)
just one more now.
Edit: Fixed the CB set, Double Edge isnt legal with adaptability.

Moo

Professor
Well, I would say that Anticipation is useless. Eevee is an offensive poke, and needs the extra power from Adaptability. (with all the evo stones going around) Also, you pretty much know what has a fighting move already. Fighting pokes and Ghosts with Hidden Power Fighting.

Adaptability is 100% the prefered ability. ;p

Crux

Banned deucer.
TBH, I dont think Eevee is going to cut it in this meta. I just ran some calcs and +1 LO Return does very little to some of the most common mon's in the game. With Evo Stone running around everywhere, Eevee lacks the power to be much of a presence at all.

Moo

Professor
Your point being?....

Yes, Eevee has lost some of its power because of Evolution Stone. It's still a LC poke though, and still deserves an analysis.

I think HP Ground can be mentioned on the Mixed Attacker set or at least in OC, as Aron can easily come in and set up Rock Polish otherwise.

Edit: Stamp after you change that.

EDIT 2:

QC Approved: 2/2

Get it written up! =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)