Gen 1 RMT First GEN I Team

This is my first attempt at a First Generation Pokemon team so constructive criticism would be great! I am making this team to just play with friends from my school, and the rules are that no legendary Pokemon are allowed. Please don't mind my awful descriptions, because I honestly don't know much about the metagame.

Exeggutor

-Sleep Powder
-Explosion
-Psychic
-Stun Spore

I decided on Exeggutor mainly because of it's typing and it's ability to put things to sleep that Gengar couldn't with the much more accurate Sleep Powder. It's typing allows me to wall Rhydon/Golem. Stun Spore helps me shut down quick sweepers that I think would threaten the rest of my team. And explosion is pretty obvious.

Snorlax

-Body Slam
-Surf
-Self Destruct
-Earthquake

Use Body Slam for the stab and chance of Paralysis. Surf to deal with ground types along with Self Destruct to go out with a bang or quickly get rid of walls that I think will threaten my team. Earthquake for Gengar switch ins.

Golem

-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Rockslide
-Explosion

I chose Golem mainly for his resistances of Normal and Electric type moves enabling me to switch in at the right time and hit hard with any of the moves listed with his massive attack.

Starmie

-Blizzard
-Thunderbolt
-Recover
-Thunder Wave

My main special sweeper outspeeding just about everything and able to take out most walls bar Chansey while being able to heal itself with Recover. I chose Blizzard over Surf to be able to hurt Exeggutor.

Chansey

-Softboiled
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Sing

Recommended by zarator. My main special wall who's goal is to simply wall every special move that comes my way. Prediction here seems pretty easy, just switching in on something obvious such as a Gengar, Alakazam, Starmie allowing me to sleep whatever comes my way or predict one of their ground types coming in to take an Ice Beam.

Tauros

-
Body Slam
-
Hyper Beam
-
Earthquake
-Blizzard

I hope to have enough Pokemon weakened and paralyzed by Body Slam, Thunder Wave and Stun Spore by the late-game so that I can sucessfully sweep with Tauros.

I think your current team relies a bit too much on Exeggutor. For example:

Gengar can come in on Snorlax all day (since Surf won't hurt it at all) and then you have to switch Exeggutor into it, maybe even facing an Explosion.

As you said, you would use Exeggutor also against Starmie (which incidentally outspeeds your whole team), which exposes him to the risk of getting harassed by Blizzard. And Alakazam, if it gets a Special fall on the switch, can really put the hurt on you too. The only silver lining is that Starmie has really no safe switch ins (maybe he can try to come in on Golem's Rock Slide or Body Slam every once in a while, and sometimes on Lapras), and Alakazam can only come in on Gengar and maybe Lapras if he predicts well.

However, there are several scenarios which could seriously hamper you. For example, Chansey can come in on Exeggutor all day and wall everything bar Explosion. From there, he can either 1) Ice Beam Exeggutor or Golem switch ins 2) throw a Thunder Wave trying to catch one of your sweepers on the switch (even paralyzing Exeggutor will cause opposing Golem/Rhydon to outspeed and potentially finish you). Sure, you can blow up Chansey, but then what? They lost a Chansey, whose only job against you was to switch into Exeggutor and Gengar (who can be dealt with by Alakazam/Exeggutor). Meanwhile, you lost your only true Alakazam/Golem/Rhydon/Gengar/Starmie counter and also a good safe-ish switch in for Tauros. And don't kid yourself: most teams carry at least 3 of them all time.

So, what to do? First of all, I strongly suggest you to replace Surf on Snorlax with Earthquake. It will still dent hard Golem/Rhydon while not giving Gengar a free switch in which can force you to potentially lose Exeggutor. Next, put Blizzard on Tauros instead of Thunder, it gives you more coverage. Finally, you should really try hard to find a place on your team for Alakazam or Chansey, aka a Special wall, otherwise once you lose Exeggutor you're doomed. As of now, Lapras does not seem to serve a real purpose for the team (which seems to be centered around the Normal-typed offense of Tauros and Snorlax). I'd replace him, since replacing the other members leave yourself exposed to something else anyway (Gengar leaves you without a good lead, Golem opens you to Jolteon and Zapdos, Exeggutor is your most important wall so no, and replacing Snorlax or Tauros would probably slow down the entire team reducing the overall offensive potential)

My 2 cents. Good Luck with the team.

I think your current team relies a bit too much on Exeggutor. For example:

Gengar can come in on Snorlax all day (since Surf won't hurt it at all) and then you have to switch Exeggutor into it, maybe even facing an Explosion.

As you said, you would use Exeggutor also against Starmie (which incidentally outspeeds your whole team), which exposes him to the risk of getting harassed by Blizzard. And Alakazam, if it gets a Special fall on the switch, can really put the hurt on you too. The only silver lining is that Starmie has really no safe switch ins (maybe he can try to come in on Golem's Rock Slide or Body Slam every once in a while, and sometimes on Lapras), and Alakazam can only come in on Gengar and maybe Lapras if he predicts well.

However, there are several scenarios which could seriously hamper you. For example, Chansey can come in on Exeggutor all day and wall everything bar Explosion. From there, he can either 1) Ice Beam Exeggutor or Golem switch ins 2) throw a Thunder Wave trying to catch one of your sweepers on the switch (even paralyzing Exeggutor will cause opposing Golem/Rhydon to outspeed and potentially finish you). Sure, you can blow up Chansey, but then what? They lost a Chansey, whose only job against you was to switch into Exeggutor and Gengar (who can be dealt with by Alakazam/Exeggutor). Meanwhile, you lost your only true Alakazam/Golem/Rhydon/Gengar/Starmie counter and also a good safe-ish switch in for Tauros. And don't kid yourself: most teams carry at least 3 of them all time.

So, what to do? First of all, I strongly suggest you to replace Surf on Snorlax with Earthquake. It will still dent hard Golem/Rhydon while not giving Gengar a free switch in which can force you to potentially lose Exeggutor. Next, put Blizzard on Tauros instead of Thunder, it gives you more coverage. Finally, you should really try hard to find a place on your team for Alakazam or Chansey, aka a Special wall, otherwise once you lose Exeggutor you're doomed. As of now, Lapras does not seem to serve a real purpose for the team (which seems to be centered around the Normal-typed offense of Tauros and Snorlax). I'd replace him, since replacing the other members leave yourself exposed to something else anyway (Gengar leaves you without a good lead, Golem opens you to Jolteon and Zapdos, Exeggutor is your most important wall so no, and replacing Snorlax or Tauros would probably slow down the entire team reducing the overall offensive potential)

My 2 cents. Good Luck with the team.
Great post, very informative! I made some changes according to what you said. But do you think Alakazam would be more fit on my team than Chansey? Thanks!

Selfdestruct on Snorlax, over Surf
I'd go with Night Shade Gengar over MD, but you decide.
SP on Egg. You can't guarantee Gengar puts something to sleep especially if it's the lead.
Without Starmie/Alakazam staying Chansey vs Chansey doesn't really make much sense, so i'd recommend Blizzard over IB, since for your team is much better to hit Tauros/Snorlax hard. -Tbolt +Counter if you like. Sing in Chansey if you don't want to lose MD Egg (you don't need it though).
Foregoing either Gengar or Golem (Gengar I'd say) in favour of Starmie will make your team better overall.
I you don't like the idea of Chansey, Jolteon can make a decent alternative, but harder to use.
Alakazam? No. It doesn't really make much sense without Chansey.

Thanks for appreciating my rate^^ The team looks good now, here are my observations:

Exeggutor: looks good, you don't need Mega Drain anyway since you have Stun Spore for Starmie, Psychic for Golem/Rhydon, and you won't recover a lot anyway
Snorlax: consider Hyper Beam over Surf (dunno how much Earthquake deals to Golem/Rhydon, but your team should have no trouble with them to begin with), otherwise looks good. Hell, considering that in gen I Hyper Beam deals more damage than Selfdestruct, you could even replace the latter with the former, unless you're paranoid of the possible recharge turn.
Golem: looks perfect (don't hear the people who prefer Rhydon, Explosion is just too good^^)
Starmie: again, good choice. I generally prefer him to Alakazam for the superior physical defense and the more varied offense. A good Para user too, if that's the route you're taking (which you should since you use Tauros)
Chansey: well, I recommended it, so who am I to disapprove?^^ On a more serious note, I disagree on swapping IB with Blizzard. The power gain is not exceptional and, most importantly, not needed on Chansey. If you predict Tauros switching in, you should Thunder Wave him anyway - once it's paralyzed, whether you hit him with Ice Beam or Blizzard means little. Conversely, using Ice Beam gives you better chances against stall wars with opposing Alakazam and Chansey. Moreover, since Chansey switches in a lot, it's easy to deplete the PPs of Blizzard on wrong predictions and whatnot. Once Chansey finishes Blizzard/Ice Beam PPs, it's a completely free Golem/Rhydon switch in, and you don't want that. Stick with Ice Beam.
Tauros: looks good.

Last thing, I agree with Crystal on the fact that Chansey is better than Alakazam on this team. The things you'll need to switch Chansey/(Alakazam) into generally pack Thunderwave (Alakazam and Starmie come to mind), and only Chansey can function even if paralyzed (just remember that, if that is the case, Golem/Rhydon outspeed you)

If you only use one Sleeper, you might not want to lead with it, in case something happens to it (often Sleep). You could lead with Starmie and fit Psychic in there for Gengar.

Thank you everyone! I made some changes based on what you guys have said. Also Self Destruct has a base power of 130 in R/B/Y and Hyper Beam has a base power of 150 unless my sources are incorrect. The reason why I keep on leaving surf is because the Snorlax I have at the moment has surf and he is around level 90 with decent DVs so I'd rather not have to train a new Snorlax.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Self Destruct has a base power of 130 in R/B/Y and Hyper Beam has a base power of 150 unless my sources are incorrect.
Well, technically, SD is listed at 130 BP, but it has the added effect of halving the opponent's defense when you use it. So it's effectively 260 BP.

Thank you everyone! I made some changes based on what you guys have said. Also Self Destruct has a base power of 130 in R/B/Y and Hyper Beam has a base power of 150 unless my sources are incorrect. The reason why I keep on leaving surf is because the Snorlax I have at the moment has surf and he is around level 90 with decent DVs so I'd rather not have to train a new Snorlax.
I'm not sure what you mean by DVs, but Pokemon in RBY can max out all of their stats. There aren't any EVs, just stat XP, which is counted separately for every stat. No need to train a Pokemon in a specific stat here. Also, and this is just my thought on the matter, I really don't see a reason to worry too much about Gengar. Yes, your only Psychic is Exeggutor, but you have three Earthquakes available. Remember that Levitate doesn't exist yet.

DVs are the RBY and GSC equivalent of IVs

zarator: I think you should review your advice or actually play the game before posting it... suggesting Chansey will switch in to face Exeggutor and actually be a threat in that position is faulty, since Explosion instantly gets rid of Chansey, which is something he should look for, he has Starmie (or I think Lapras beforehand?) to sweep after Chansey is gone.

zarator: I think you should review your advice or actually play the game before posting it... suggesting Chansey will switch in to face Exeggutor and actually be a threat in that position is faulty, since Explosion instantly gets rid of Chansey, which is something he should look for, he has Starmie (or I think Lapras beforehand?) to sweep after Chansey is gone.
If you refer to my first post in this thread, at that time his team was:
Gengar - Hypnosis/Thunderbolt/Mega Drain/Explosion
Snorlax - Hyper Beam/Body Slam/Surf/Selfdestruct
Exeggutor - Explosion/Psychic/Mega Drain/Stun Spore
Golem - Body Slam/Earthquake/Rock Slide/Explosion
Lapras - Confuse Ray/Body Slam/Blizzard/Thunderbolt
Tauros - Thunder/Body Slam/Earthquake/Hyper Beam

I'll quote myself here:
Sure, you can blow up Chansey, but then what? They lost a Chansey, whose only job against you was to switch into Exeggutor and Gengar (who can be dealt with by Alakazam/Exeggutor). Meanwhile, you lost your only true Alakazam/Golem/Rhydon/Gengar/Starmie counter and also a good safe-ish switch in for Tauros. And don't kid yourself: most teams carry at least 3 of them all time.
He did not have Starmie at that time, and nothing on his team besides Exeggutor could take full powered assaults from the likes of Alakazam and Starmie. Sure, maybe Snorlax, but that was only a free ticket for Gengar to come in and launch Thunderbolts (or Mega Drain that obvious Golem switch in). The point is, in RBY without recovery you cannot expect ANYTHING to wall up to three mons together (believe me, I HAVE played, and seeing teams with, say, Alakazam, Gengar AND Golem was kinda common - hell, my team had those 3 and Starmie too) and survive to tell the tale.

Plus, you say he should seek to kill the opposing Chansey more than the opponent killing his Exeggutor. What did Chansey wall out of his original team?
Gengar? After he has used Hypnosis, Alakazam can take everything but Explosion and retaliate with Psychic, same with Exeggutor
Lapras? Aside from the fact that Chansey can't switch directly into Lapras in fear of Body Slam and Confuse Ray, Lapras is so slow that it's not easy to simply plow through him with Starmie, Alakazam or even Tauros.
And that's it. Not quite the same gain for him as for the opponent, who now has a field day with three of the most deadly special sweepers in the game (Gengar, Alakazam and Starmie), and more often than not he WILL have all them.

So, before insinuating that I am inexperienced, try to think more next time.

Well, technically, SD is listed at 130 BP, but it has the added effect of halving the opponent's defense when you use it. So it's effectively 260 BP.
Unless I'm mistaken, 1st Gen Hyper Beam also halves your foe's defense, giving it effectivly 300 BP.

No, only Selfdestruct and Explosion do halve foe's defense. Hence, HB = 150; SB = 260; Exlosion = 340

Hyper Beam over Surf for Lax, and STAB in Starmie is recommended in offensive teams (aka, no Chansey + Zam). Golem isn't really a good option in this team since being forced to switch-out easily is not what you want. You still have Chansey though, so that you can switch it into Starmie and Egg, Chansey + Golem is basically defense against offense, well and Sing support, since Chansey alone it nearly worthless against Chansey + Alakazam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)