np: OU Suspect Testing Round 2 - Who am I to break tradition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making your team much worse against everything to counter one thing is not how teams should be built. DUH
You're right: teams should be built with the strengths and weaknesses of every member in mind. If Spiritomb allows you to counter a threat that otherwise causes a lot of pain for your team, isn't that the entire point of careful teambuilding? If all that's stopping you is Reuniclus then you should have no issues with carefully constructing your team to include Spiritomb.

In Spiritomb's case, it's a worse Burunkeru. It beats Rank, but when it comes to bulky Ghost-types/Spinblockers, Keru beats Tomb in literally every other way, and it can beat a few things that Tomb can't (Heatran, for example). Basically, you can run Tomb and beat Rank, or you can run Keru and beat everything else.
All things considered, it probably is a worse Burunkeru. But keep in mind that even though Burunkeru has more uses than Spiritomb, if you need Tomb to counter Rank / Roob (or to serve any of the other niche uses that it has) then it's definitely worth considering Spiritomb. That's really all I've been saying.

You're right: teams should be built with the strengths and weaknesses of every member in mind. If Spiritomb allows you to counter a threat that otherwise causes a lot of pain for your team, isn't that the entire point of careful teambuilding? If all that's stopping you is Reuniclus then you should have no issues with carefully constructing your team to include Spiritomb.

All things considered, it probably is a worse Burunkeru. But keep in mind that even though Burunkeru has more uses than Spiritomb, if you need Tomb to counter Rank / Roob (or to serve any of the other niche uses that it has) then it's definitely worth considering Spiritomb. That's really all I've been saying.
Yes, this. If you make a team and you see you have a glaring weakness to one Pokemon, you put in a Pokemon you know can beat it every time instead of being stubborn and saying "no, I want to use Burunkeru".

Then you test this team, if you find you now have a problem with Heatran, then fiddle around a bit more. You have six team slots, and can cover the shortcomings of your Pokemon using it.

What is your stall team then? Because it's apparently super weak to Reuniclus.

And how is having FUN a pathetic argument?
School started and I would have less time to play to I decided to just play to have fun,which is what playing the game is all about.

Stop being such an ass about it.
Run a stall team with CM Roar Latias and I bet you'll still lose to Rankurusu. Every stall team without something like Spiritomb or even Scizor is Rankurusu weak.

Again, if you want to have fun, stop trying to assert your unsupported points in a thread designed to discuss competitive matters. Quite frankly, you've added nothing substantial to the thread but your biased opinions anyway. If you wanna discuss things, get a list of backed-up points and then come back and post.

I don't need to resort to hyperbole and calling basically everything you posted "stupid bullshit" to make my points seem more relevant. You should try avoid this as well.

It definitely is worth considering, but it's...really hard to find room on a team for him when you still have to be able to deal with rain, sand, and "normal" threats (sun doesn't count because nobody uses it).
Yes, this. If you make a team and you see you have a glaring weakness to one Pokemon, you put in a Pokemon you know can beat it every time instead of being stubborn and saying "no, I want to use Burunkeru".
Then you test this team, if you find you now have a problem with Heatran, then fiddle around a bit more. You have six team slots, and can cover the shortcomings of your Pokemon using it.
It's not "No, I want to use Burunkeru." It's that Keru is much more useful overall than Tomb, so if they're competing for the same teamslot, Keru generally wins. Hell, I (or anyone) might find a way to drop both of them on one team and get double the spinblocking and both of their uses out of it. I'll test this out for sure.
Just to be clear: I'm not advocating a Rankorusu ban. I just happened to check this thread out tonight and everyone was talking about it, so I jumped in, because I can't figure out how to deal with it using a stall team. Figured there might be some ideas here (and there were).

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Run a stall team with CM Roar Latias and I bet you'll still lose to Rankurusu. Every stall team without something like Spiritomb or even Scizor is Rankurusu weak.
I can attest to this. Psycho Shock just makes taking last-Pokemon Rankurusu hard because Latias can't do anything to boost its physical defense with Calm Mind. Even then, it's not hard for opposing teams to KO your Latias with Tyranitar/Scizor's Pursuit.

The point is, Rank won't be the only thing your team needs to take, and wasting a teamslot (essentially) to counter one thing should not be a necessity

I posted this in the Rankurusu thread, but I think it's fine if I post it here too, since this is the thread where it seems to be more relevant to be in.

Me :D said:
To be honest I don't see how Rankurusu is determined to be more detrimental to Heavy Stall than Sub CM Jirachi and Wish CM Jirachi was considered to be in Gen 4. Jirachi also had an immunity to Toxic Spikes, better Physical Bulk, and furthermore, was able to kill the common Phazers in Stall like Skarmory and bulky waters like Suicune. Jirachi also suffered the same Problems that Rankurusu has such as Tyranitar and Scizor "weakness" but those two Pokemon were non-existant on stall teams (except maybe for the odd Tyranitar, but those would normally be defensive and unable to ko). Jirachi could kill Tyranitar with Flash Cannon anyway if it carried it so that doesn't really even matter. All in all, I think that Rankurusu isn't really broken. It is just very, very effective in this metagame. Feel free to flame me and call me an idiot like an immature baby who doesn't know civility (*cough*masterful*cough*), but that's just my view on the matter. Also Rankurusu's counters are perfectly good pokemon, and I don't see why nobody would run them if Rankurusu was such a threat to their team. It just seems odd to me.

I posted this in the Rankurusu thread, but I think it's fine if I post it here too, since this is the thread where it seems to be more relevant to be in.
Rachi really needed to be tailored to do a stall breaker job, and was weak to a lot of the moves used by stall teams, such as EQ and the like. Rank has recover, better coverage with its two moves, and has no such weaknesses

Yes, Spiritomb is also very useful at being a worse Bloongell
If Deoxys-N gets moved down for more testing, I'd use Spiritomb on all my teams. Burungeru does not do that. Burungeru also does not have 0 weaknesses, or decent mixed defenses.

Pretty much all Burungeru has over it are Recover and awesome resistances. Which are very significant on a defensive pokemon. Regardless, it does not completely out-class Spiritomb.

If Deoxys-N gets moved down for more testing, I'd use Spiritomb on all my teams. Burungeru does not do that. Burungeru also does not have 0 weaknesses, or decent mixed defenses.

Pretty much all Burungeru has over it are Recover and awesome resistances. Which are very significant on a defensive pokemon. Regardless, it does not completely out-class Spiritomb.
All Spiritomb has is a meh pursuit, and I don't know why the notion of having Deo-N brought down is being tossed around. It seems people have forgotten that 150/150/150 attacking stats are absurdly stupid and broken for some reason.

All Spiritomb has is a meh pursuit, and I don't know why the notion of having Deo-N brought down is being tossed around. It seems people have forgotten that 150/150/150 attacking stats are absurdly stupid and broken for some reason.
In addition to a meh Pursuit and what I listed in my post, it also beats Rankurusu.
But I'm about done with this conversation after only 2 posts. Pathetic of me, huh?

People are nominating Deo-N because they NEVER saw one during the first suspect test, and due to the somewhat worse stats than Deo-A.
And don't talk about "absurd attacking stats". Remember when Porygon-Z was a "ridiculously strong special sweeper" and Rhyperior was an "obviously broken physical sweeper"? I remember that. But look how that ended. It at least deserves a test without its big brother in the way.

Yeah STAB Pursuit from a Pokemon immune to/neutral to most Psychic and Ghost types is pretty "meh". Also Deoxys-N wasn't even tested, and if it is deemed broken (which is possible but not guaranteed) it will be rebanned. You might as well be saying, "WHY ISN'T ONONOKUSU BANNED!!!@>>??? IT HAS 147 BASE ATTACK!!!!!!"

In addition to a meh Pursuit and what I listed in my post, it also beats Rankurusu.
But I'm about done with this conversation after only 2 posts. Pathetic of me, huh?

People are nominating Deo-N because they NEVER saw one during the first suspect test, and due to the somewhat worse stats than Deo-A.
And don't talk about "absurd attacking stats". Remember when Porygon-Z was a "ridiculously strong special sweeper" and Rhyperior was an "obviously broken physical sweeper"? I remember that. But look how that ended. It at least deserves a test without its big brother in the way.
Have you forgoteen 150/150/150? If Porygon-Z had 150 speed and resisted Mach Punch, it would be monstrous. Also, a crappy pursuit and countering 1 pokemon does not a success story make. Don't act so smug because your Spiritomb does 2 things instead of one

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Have you forgoteen 150/150/150? If Porygon-Z had 150 speed and resisted Mach Punch, it would be monstrous. Also, a crappy pursuit and countering 1 pokemon does not a success story make. Don't act so smug because your Spiritomb does 2 things instead of one
He wasn't attempting to make a comparison between Deo-N and Porygon-Z in terms of their abilities; he was trying to say that there's no point in immediately deeming that Deoxys-N is broken without a solid testing period to confirm it.

He wasn't attempting to make a comparison between Deo-N and Porygon-Z in terms of their abilities; he was trying to say that there's no point in immediately deeming that Deoxys-N is broken without a solid testing period to confirm it.
How can that possibly NOT be deemed broken. Have people lost all semblance of rhyme or reason? Mewtwo and Kyogre were never tested, it is just absurd to test something with 150 attacking stats AND speed. I played on the PO server, in which Deo-N wasn't banned for a while, and one could just throw it on as a lead and destroy at least 2 pokes per game. How is that not broken? (I was playing among 1400 rated players, btw)

CM Jirachi lost to Swampert, Hippowdon, Sp.Def Roar Heatran (well Heatran in general which i remember Earthworm used on Heavy stall) and many other stall staples in gen 4, Gliscor weren't uncommon either and could take it on when push came to shove. None of these are able to deal with Rank effectively. Even semi stall struggles with Rank where as for Jirachi you could just shove on a Scarfer like EQ Tar or Flygon and be done with it. Magic Guard also makes it take no damage to Spikes, which Jirachi did. Also id take Recover >>> Wish any day.

I mean Rank has counters don't get me wrong, but the problem is alot of them just arent reliable against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)