Rotom-H (Analysis)

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

QC Checks: 1/3 Delta 2777 2/3 Iconic 3/3 Pk Gaming

GP Checks: 1/2 Chou Toshio (Ferrothorn colours!) 2/2 NatGeo (Rotom-H colours!)

[Overview]

<p>When Rotom-H lost its Ghost typing, it got a mixed bag of goodies. It lost its ability to block Rapid Spin but gained a unique typing in Electric / Fire. With its quadruple weakness to Ground-type moves nullified by Levitate, Rotom-H's typing grants it only two weaknesses to Water and Rock while giving it useful resistances to Fire-, Grass-, Electric- and Ice-type attacks. The weakness to Rock hampers its ability to switch in often, being vulnerable to Stealth Rock, and Rotom-H will have a hard time popping in and out like it used to without Rapid Spin support. With the ability to take down the Jellicent - / Ferrothorn core with relative ease and eliminate dangerous threats like Heatran and Scizor, Rotom-H is still a solid choice that should not be taken lightly.</p>

<p>On the whole, Rotom-H is still a respectable Pokemon with well distributed stats, a good typing that resists the infamous BoltBeam combination, and great STAB. With the proper team support and a bit of patience, Rotom-H can fit into many teams and it can easily do some serious damage with the right team support. Underestimate this toaster at your peril.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move1: Thunderbolt
move2: Overheat
move3: Hidden Power Ice / Shadow Ball
move4: Trick / Volt Switch
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
nature: Modest / Timid
ability: Levitate
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-H's standard set, the Choiced set is very effective in countering many dangerous threats with Choice Scarf, and surprising others and blasting them to pieces with Choice Specs. Its underestimated base 105 Special Attack and its decent base 86 Speed—which can be reinforced with a Timid nature and a Choice Scarf—make it a very potent offensive Pokemon. A great STAB combination of Fire- and Electric-type attacks allows for great coverage, enhancing Rotom-H's ability to do damage.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt is a great STAB move and does serious damage to bulky Water-types coming in to take out Rotom-H, while Overheat hurts any Grass-types that try to resist Rotom-H's other STAB move. Shadow Ball or Hidden Power Ice completes the coverage. Shadow Ball deals more damage to Psychic-types like Reuniclus, while Hidden Power Ice will destroy Dragon-types and complete a pseudo BoltBeam combination. Volt Change allows for easy scouting whereas Trick can be used to cripple an opposing Pokemon and help greatly against stall and last Pokemon stat boost users, such as CroCune and Calm Mind Reuniclus. Rotom-H also has respectable defenses that allow it to take a good beating. It easily counters Thundurus and other Pokemon that are overly reliant on the BoltBeam combination for coverage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs give maximum power and speed that allow Rotom-H to dish out as much damage as possible. A Timid nature allows Rotom to outspeed neutral natured Pokemon with base 95 Speed when not holding a Choice Scarf, and +1 neutral natured 95s when holding a Choice Scarf. A Modest nature should be used while holding Choice Specs as the power boost is significant. With Choice Specs, an alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe will give Rotom-H a huge boost to its bulk, allowing it to switch around a lot more often and tank stronger neutral hits.</p>

<p>Rotom-H is very good at dealing damage to defensive cores with its very potent STAB moves, Thunderbolt and Overheat. It easily deals with any core that is linked to the F/W/G core setup, such as the core of Ferrothorn / Jellicent / commonly used Fire-type. Because it has this trait, Rotom-H works very well when paired with strong late game sweepers that can really let loose when unhindered by said enemy defensive cores. Starmie is a good example of a Pokemon that can have a field day without Ferrothorn and Jellicent around. It also resists Rotom-H's Water-type weakness, while Rotom resists Starmie's weaknesses to Electric- and Grass-type moves. Physically-based sweepers that have trouble with defensive Pokemon are also great partners. Rotom-H is quite adept at removing many physical walls such as Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Gliscor, allowing sweepers such as Excadrill and Landorus to sweep with ease. Furthermore, Excadrill can easily set up on Chansey or Blissey, as well as Rock-type moves directed at Rotom-H, making them a very potent duo. Conkeldurr also makes a very good partner as it can easily remove Tyranitar with STAB Fighting-type attacks, allowing Rotom-H to escape freely from one of its checks.</p>

<p>Pokemon that can stop Rotom-H are primarily Pokemon that either have great Special Defense (think Chansey, Blissey, and Tyranitar) or Pokemon that resist and shrug off both of Rotom-H's STAB moves (think Rotom-W, Quagsire, and Gastrodon). As long as you have Pokemon that can check these, such as bulky Fighting-types for the special walls and other strong special attackers for the Pokemon that resist Rotom-H's STAB moves, the team should be in fine shape.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Rotom-H doesn't have many other options outside those listed above. Hidden Power Fighting can be used on the Specs set to deal with Tyranitar, but Rotom-H generally loses to it anyway. Defensive sets can also be run to utilize Rotom-H's respectable bulk, but unless it is using Overheat, it is generally outclassed by Rotom-W. Will-O-Wisp can be used to mess around with physical attackers and Thunder Wave can be used to cripple opposing offensive Pokemon. Electra Ball also works well with Thunder Wave and it can deal some severe damage to slower Pokemon, though it is all but completely outclassed by the reliable Thunderbolt. Finally, Hex can do some decent damage to Pokemon afflicted with status, but Shadow Ball hits for a more consistent 80 Base Power.</p>

<p>A Substitute Charge Beam set can be used to boost Rotom-H's Special Attack to high levels, but it has terrible synergy with Overheat, making Rotom-W a better candidate for that route. A Pain Split set can also be used, but it is unreliable and Rotom-H will often find itself being outsped and KOed before it can even use Pain Split to replenish health.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Rotom-H's counters can be split into two prominent groups: Pokemon that have high enough Special Defense to take Choice Specs boosted Overheat and Thunderbolt, and Pokemon that resist both of the aforementioned attacks. Chansey and Blissey are the first counters that come to mind, though they need to be wary of Trick. If they can manage to avoid it though, there is no way that Rotom-H can beat them bar using Charge Beam or Pain Split sets that also have Substitute. Tyranitar is another Pokemon that can use its colossal special bulk to wall Rotom-H. It can also easily KO Rotom with a STAB Stone Edge. However, Tyranitar must watch out for Hidden Power Fighting as 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar will be decimated by Choice Specs Rotom-H. Jellicent can safely wall Choice Scarf Rotom-H, as with the right EV investment it can even take a Thunderbolt. However, it is still 2HKOed so it can only come in after a KO. It is completely destroyed by Choice Specs Rotom-H though, so it must be sure before switching in.</p>

<p>Pokemon that resist Rotom-H's two STABs make great counters. Quagsire resists Overheat and is immune to Thunderbolt, making it almost the perfect counter, while being able to strike back with STAB Water-type attacks. Gastrodon is more or less in the same boat, and it can either set up Stockpile or just KO Rotom-H with Hydro Pump or Surf. Rotom-W is also a great counter as it takes very little from Thunderbolt and resists Overheat. It can then wash Rotom-H away with STAB Hydro Pump.</p>

<p>Anything that can switch into a resisted move and then KO it with its own attacks can effectively check Rotom-H. Gyarados, for example, can switch into Overheat and then set up as Rotom-H switches out. Just be careful of switching into other moves. Finally, Stealth Rock really wears Rotom-H down, as it can only switch in five times at the most, and less should Rotom-H take outside damage. If you keep forcing Rotom-H to switch around, it won't be around very long.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Rotom-H does not have a Dream World ability.</p>

For the choice set, I recommend slashing Volt Change, with Thunderbolt, as you really don't need 2 electric moves on the same set, especially with Overheat as a good STAB move to spam. I also would slash HP Ice with Trick in the last slot, so you can kill dragons too.

For the SubSplit set, is Overheat a good idea? I don't think a hit- and - run move that lowers your SpAtt would be good for this kind of set. Also, does subsplit rotom -h even work in this gen?? (especially with the added SR weakness)

On the SubSplit set, I do believe that 16 HP / 240 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed offers a better Substitute, Burn, Toxic and LO number.

Magma

Rotom-H can also run a Support set with the Paralysis + Electra Ball combo.

name: Status Support
move1: Thunderwave
move2: Will-o-Wisp/Evil Eye
move3: Overheat
move4: Electra Ball
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Thunderwave adds paralysis support to a team and cuts down speed for Electra Ball.

Will-o-Wisp cripples physical Ground types and Electrivire who will most likely switch-in in an attempt to wall Thunderwave.

Evil Eye is a lesser option than Will-o-Wisp, but is still worth mentioning on this set. It's base power doubles from 50 to 100 against paralyzed foes and gives Rotom-H a solution for Latias (even without STAB.)

Overheat is here for STAB and type coverage with Electra Ball.

Electra Ball pairs up perfectly with Thunderwave and allows Rotom-H to hit paralyzed opponents hard. Here are Electra Ball's base power calculations against paralyzed targets:
  • 150 BP
    target's original speed is lower or equal to 298

• 120 BP
    target's original speed is greater than 298 and lower or equal to 396

• 80 BP
    target's original speed is greater than 396 and lower or equal to 596

• 60 BP
    target's original speed is greater than 596

Since this is mainly a support set, Max HP and Leftovers gives Rotom-H some added bulk.

Max Speed EVs puts Rotom-H's speed at 298, which is just enough to maximize Electra Ball.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I'd reccomend slashing Shadow Ball with Hidden Power Ice on the Choice set in order to hit Dragon types, particularly Garchomp.

To be honest I don't think defensive sets are viable, nor is SubSplit. Rotom-H just wants to tear shit up with STAB Overheat and then leave.

I have to question what the less-offensive sets gain by being Rotom-H over -W/-C. Fire is a great coverage type but it's not especially great as a main attacking type and it's awful as a defensive type, even with Levitate.

In any event, as with -C, any set that doesn't use Overheat is just plain outclassed by Rotom-W for most things.

elDino

Deal With It.
Alright thanks for all the advice guys, this should be finished by the end of today. I will delete all the defensive sets as I myself was questioning whether or not to use them.

name: Status Support
move1: Thunderwave
move2: Will-o-Wisp/Evil Eye
move3: Overheat
move4: Electra Ball
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
This set is too gimmicky to be used in the actual analysis, I'll add it to the OC though. Thanks for the input

elDino

Deal With It.
Bump!

This is now written and awaiting QC Approval. Am still waiting for input and any suggested sets. Thanks guys.

<p>Pokémon that can stop Rotom-H are primarily Pokémon that either have great special defense (think Chansey, Blissey, Tyranitar) or Pokémon that resist both of Rotom-Hs STAB moves (think Rotom-W, Swampert and Garchomp). As long as you have Pokémon that can check these such as Bulky fighting-types for the special walls and other strong special attackers for the Pokémon that resist Rotom-H's STAB moves, you should be in fine shape and Rotom should be able to rip through a majority of cores that can allow you to set up and sweep.</p>
Small nitpick. Rotom-W is neutral to electric attack, which Rotom-H has.

BTW only choice set is viable ? Levitate Fire/Electric provide some interesting resistances (mostly to boltbeam combo), especially if you invest into special bulk, while still taking on some physical attackers, mostly Scizor. But honestly I'm not sure if you can somehow transfer/use Sleep Talk in Gen 5 if it's not TM anymore. If you can, I would add RestTalk set with specially defensive spread (for physical spread I would prefer Rotom-W honestly). Or at least test it. Just some food for thought ;).

If you can, I would add RestTalk set with specially defensive spread (for physical spread I would prefer Rotom-W honestly). Or at least test it. Just some food for thought ;).
I haven't tested -W, but I have tested restalk -C, and restalk/Draco Meteor (or Leaf Storm, Overheat, etc.) is not a practical set. As soon as you Talk out a big attack and go to -2 spatk, you're setup bait, and switching out resets your sleep counter. If you're not using Overheat, there's little to recommend Rotom-H over other Rotom forms.

elDino

Deal With It.
Thanks for the input guys.

@Garganator: As A Man In Black stated, a rest talk set is not very viable this generation as when Overheat is used Rotom-H just becomes set up bait for lots of scary stuff like Randorosu and Doryuuzu. You just can't take the risk of having him asleep for 2 turns. Thanks for the nitpick though, it will be changed

:D

Because of the lost Ghost typing, Dark Pulse may be better than Shadow Ball, because flinch>-1SpD on an offensive pokemon, and Normal is immune to Shadow Ball while Fighting only resists Dark Pulse. I believe there may be more Fighting types compared to Normals to outweigh it.

I don't think everyone should be dismissing Rotom-H's bulk or potential for defensive usage.

Fire/Electric with Levitate has only two weaknesses and a whopping 7 resistances to Fire, Electric, Ice, Grass, Bug, Steel, and Flying plus the obvious immunity to Ground. Thats a fucking lot given that we aren't talking about a Steel type here (but rather two types not known for defensive prowess, they shockingly go quite well together IMO). The Fire/Electric/Ice/Grass resistances alone make it a viable special wall in my opinion. Its defenses on the special side rival Ulgamoth who is well known for being able to take its fair share of bulky water STAB attacks, and it doesn't have Electric STAB.

With that in mind this is compared to the 5 resistances and 2 weaknesses of -W and the 4 resistances and 4 weaknesses of -C. Given that they have the same stats I would definitely say that they are all on equal footing defensively and that is subjective given the current commonality of Rock attacks, which is the only real threat to it IMO.

tl;dr I just think the unique combination of resistances and immunities Rotom-H brings to the table is being vastly overlooked and underestimated. It needs more attention.

With that in mind this is compared to the 5 resistances and 2 weaknesses of -W and the 4 resistances and 4 weaknesses of -C. Given that they have the same stats I would definitely say that they are all on equal footing defensively and that is subjective given the current commonality of Rock attacks, which is the only real threat to it IMO.
-W has one weakness, grass, which is either predictable or comes in 70 base power un-STAB varieties.

-H has two weaknesses, rock and water. It isn't nearly as specially bulky as Ulgamoth (2 SpD does not make up for a 35 HP deficit), nor does it tend to take water attacks with +1 SpD the way Ulgamoth does. The Stealth Rock weakness is also more of an issue for a choice user than a setup sweeper, since Ulgamoth only needs to come in once to do its job while Rotom-H needs to come in again and again.

The only way Rotom-H doesn't lose to bulky waters is if it outspeeds them or catches them with Thunderbolt on the switch, because (other than Gyarados) there isn't a single bulky water that it can take three hits from or that it can OHKO without major offensive investment.

It's not the resistances that are at issue. The problem is that Rotom-H is either a SR-weak choicer or a special wall that can't handle bulky waters.

elDino

Deal With It.
Has been updated with English Pokémon names and is still awaiting QC checks.
Thanks guys

No defensive set ? Provided you can handle SR (which is much easier to do this gen, especially when Starmie is such a good partner), specially defensive Rotom-H is very good at spreading burn, abusing its 7 resistances to wall many special attackers and WoW incoming TTars. It's also very good against FGW, as even Burungeru won't like switching into WoW or Tbolts and only 3HKOes back.

Tyranitar is another Pokémon that can use its colossal special defines to wall Rotom-H. It can easily KO Rotom with STAB Crunch or Pursuit on a Rotom that tries to flee.
Rotom-H isn't weak to Dark anymore, so TTar is more likely to use the stronger, OHKOing and much less punishable Stone Edge, since Rotom-H is no longer weak to Dark.

Maybe you should mention that it resists most of Genesect's sets if it gets released as it resists Fire, Ice, Electric, Bug and is immune to Ground. The only thing Rotom-H has to watch out for is Explosion.

elDino

Deal With It.
Ok thanks for the input guys, the Tyranitar thing has been edited in.

100th Post! Nice :P

EDIT: This is still awaiting QC checks so Bump!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)