Zubat (Analysis)

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Zubat

Quality Control 2/2 (Crux / Aerrow)
GP 2/2 (Komodo, Chou Toshio)

[Overview]
<p>This little guy is definitely under appreciated in Little Cup, with incredible STAB, and a pretty good movepool, Crobat's little brother is quite an asset to the team. Zubat is a very versatile Pokemon, it can pull off many jobs and is an overall great Pokemon. Why he is almost never seen on the ladder is beyond me. While Murkrow is a popular flying type that generally outclasses it, Zubat has a number of unique characteristics to it's name, with its most useful attribute coming in the form of a 4x resistance to Fighting-type moves.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Bat
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Steel Wing / Super Fang
move 3: Bite / Pursuit
move 4: Pursuit / Heat Wave / U-turn
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
nature: Jolly / Adamant
Ev's: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Zubat makes for a pretty good lead, starting the match and by firing off immensely powerful Brave Birds, with the added power of STAB and Choice Band. Steel Wing is mostly unused, but the seldom Rock-types who switch into a predicted Brave Bird can be 2HKOed by it. The third slot provides more type coverage, Zubat can use either Dark-type move to damage opponents without resorting to Brave Bird. The last move is mainly a filler, Pursuit can be used if you didn't choose it as your primary Dark move, although without Heat Wave, Steel-types wall this set. If you decide to run Heat Wave, a Naive or Hasty nature can be used. U-turn is also a great option to force offensive pressure on the opponent. If you don't mind the Brave Bird recoil, you can use it to hit Ghosts for plenty of damage and forgo a Dark-type attack, and can use the last two slots for both U-turn and Heat Wave.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Double-Edge or Facade can be used in the final slot, but they're pretty lackluster compared to the other good options available. Zubat's 4x resistance to Fighting-type attacks makes it an excellent counter to Fighting-types in Little Cup, and gives it an easy switch in to start firing off STAB Brave Bird. Ferroseed is the main Steel-type seen in Little Cup, but is still hit neutrally by Brave Bird because of its Grass / Steel typing, making Heat Wave less important. Scarf Zubat is a great check to Dragon Dance Scraggy, a huge threat in Little Cup. Life Orb is also viable on this set.</p>

[SET]
name: Stallbreaker
move 2: Super Fang
move 3: Taunt / Toxic
move 4: Roost
item: Eviolite
nature: Jolly
Ev's: 236 HP / 32 Atk / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although stall is very uncommon in Little Cup, it would be unwise to be unprepared for it, when done right, not only is stall viable in Little Cup, it can be very successful. This Zubat has good stall breaking abilities. With an Eviolite, most slower defensive Pokemon are not going to out damage Zubat's Roost. Taunt stops them from setting up or inflicting status, whereas Super Fang bypasses defenses and swiftly deals 50% to the opposing Pokemon. When you're not against stall, this still functions as a decent bulky Pokemon capable of checking many Fighting-types, and can also deal a hefty amount of damage with STAB Brave Bird, despite being on the defensive side. Toxic can be used over Taunt, but it is down to personal preference.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>With Taunt and Roost, Zubat can switch into, and defeat boosted Timburr. Any Pokemon slower than it can be hit with Super Fang, and usually knocked out by a followup Brave Bird. Zubat also renders Ferroseed useless. Not only does it break stall, it can do a decent job of stalling itself between Taunt, Roost, and its respectable bulk.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Zubat can pull off a mediocre Nasty Plot set with Air Slash and Hidden power Fighting with a filler. Zubat has an astonishing pool of viable support moves for any teams benefits. Whirlwind can prove useful if you can use it at the right time, just make sure you have entry hazards on the field. Zubat has access to Hypnosis, and although Platinum and subsequent games have cut down Hypnosis's accuracy, it is by no means unusable in this metagame. Though gimmicky, Zubat can make use of many other support moves such as Confuse Ray, Attract, and Captivate. Haze can be used to stop Pokemon that attempt to set up, notably Calm Mind variants of Murkrow.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Most Steel-types can give Zubat trouble, although there aren't many in this metagame. Magnemite isn't seen often, but it can switch into Brave Bird and threaten Zubat with its STAB Electric-type attacks. Chinchou and most other Electric Pokemon that resist Brave Bird can force it to switch out most instances, increasing residual damage from Stealth Rock. Despite many Pokemon being able to switch in and threaten Zubat, nothing can safely switch in to Super Fang except for Ghost-types, which are conveniently 2HKOed by Brave Bird. Scarf Chinchou can switch in, but it is 2HKOed by Brave Bird or a Super Fang followed by Brave Bird.</p>

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How does Zubat have incredible STAB, it's terrible. Flying hits everything Poison does (except rock but...)
Exactly. The majority of the metagame cant switch in to Zubat's Brave Bird. It speaks for itself. You are right the type itself doesnt have excellent coverage, but the power of its STAB move and little resisting pokemon is plenty.

I think a bulky Zubat set should be a given in the meta-game. Fighting-types everywhere, and with a 4x resistance to Drain Punch, Hi Jump Kick, and Mach Punch, as well as STAB Brave Bird, Zubat is very good against shit like Dokkora (or are we calling it Timburr now?) Evolution Stone would be a given, along with Roost and Brave Bird. U-turn and Taunt should probably be the last two moves, but I'm not too sure.

Just my thoughts on Zubat.

Zephyr

Life Stream
I think a bulky Zubat set should be a given in the meta-game. Fighting-types everywhere, and with a 4x resistance to Drain Punch, Hi Jump Kick, and Mach Punch, as well as STAB Brave Bird, Zubat is very good against shit like Dokkora (or are we calling it Timburr now?) Evolution Stone would be a given, along with Roost and Brave Bird. U-turn and Taunt should probably be the last two moves, but I'm not too sure.

Just my thoughts on Zubat.
I actually already had a set just like that in mind, It'll be added eventually.

Read my mind too =( Also mention how Zubat is one of the few Pokemon that flat out beats Meditite. Inner Focus blocks Fake Out flinch, and it double resists Drain Punch. Brave Bird ass-rapes Meditite, and Zubat can even lure it out due to its Psychic weakness.

SkyNet

MediEvil!
On the CB set remove 'facade/pursuit/heat wave' as there are just way too many choices, they would be better suited in the 'Optional Changes' section.

Zephyr

Life Stream
On the CB set remove 'facade/pursuit/heat wave' as there are just way too many choices, they would be better suited in the 'Optional Changes' section.
Telling me in IRC was enough.

Made some updated and additions. This should be done tonight, if not tomorrow for sure.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
name:CB BatJr
move 1:Brave Bird
move 2:Steel wing
move 3:bite/faint attack/pursuit
move 4:pursuit/heat wave/U-turn
item: Choice Band
nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ev's: 36 HP/ 236 Atk/ 236 speed
you need spaces between the set and moves, and the colon, as well as between the colon and the move itself. Also, the evs should be listed as 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe. Same issues with the stallbreaker set

[box]Zubat

[OVERVIEW]
<p>This little guy is definitely under appreciated in the LC tier, with incredible stab and a pretty good move pool, Crobat jr can play as quite an asset to the team. Zubat is a very versatile pokemon, it can pull off many jobs and is an overall great pokemon, why he is almost never seen on the ladder is beyond me.</p>

[SET]

name: CB BatJr
move 2: Steel wing
move 3: bite/faint attack/pursuit
move 4: pursuit/heat wave/U-turn
nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ev's: 36 HP/ 236 Atk/ 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This guy makes for a pretty good lead. He comes out at the start of the match and can just fire immensely powerful Brave birds, at 120 BP and STAB with Choice Band, instant explosive power in a frailer metagame is vastly under looked. Steel wing is usually an unused move, but the seldom rock types are the first thing coming at you to attempt to suck up a Brave Bird, and a CB steel Wing crushes them on the switchin, if they even manage to survive the switch in, you can quickly attack again and it should be the end of there Brave Bird sponge. The third slot gives you more coverage, you can use a dark move of your choice to be able to kill stuff without resorting to giving up HP for a Brave Bird. The last move is more of a filler, You can use pursuit if you didn't choose it as your primary dark move, although without Heat Wave the(very slim) amount of steels could otherwise wall this set. If you decide to run Heat Wave, Naive/Hasty can be used as the nature. U-turn is also a great option to keep control of your offensive pressure on the opponent, If you don't care much about Brave Bird recoil, you can still hit ghosts for plenty of damage without a dark attack, and can use the last two slots for both U-turn and Heatwave.</p>

[Additional Comments]<p>
~Double Edge or Facade can be used in the final slot, but they're pretty lackluster compared to the numerous other good options available
~x4 resist to fighting makes it an excellent counter to fighting types in LC and gives it an easy switch in to come and start firing off more Choice Band Brave Birds.
~Perfect coverage with the move pool options along with powerful STAB lets Zubat 2hko anything with the right move
~Tesshiido Is the main steel seen in LC but still takes neutral to Brave Bird because of its grass/steel typing, so dropping heatwave can be done in favor of other options.</p>

In progress.

[SET]

name: Stall-break Bat
move 2: Super Fang
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Roost
item: Evolution Stone
nature: Jolly
Ev's: 236 HP/ 32 Atk/ 236 Spe[/box]

Excluding the link, which had to say Zubat, you mentioned Crobat jr just as much as Zubat.

Zephyr

Life Stream
Okay, I'm getting this done as I go, I was just getting the thread up, no one needs to post until I have it finished. K thanks.

Have you ever tested a Nasty Plot set? I never played Little Cup before, so I wouldn't know if it would work well.

Zubat would probably be better off firing STAB Brave Birds, but just curious.

Zephyr

Life Stream
Have you ever tested a Nasty Plot set? I never played Little Cup before, so I wouldn't know if it would work well.

Zubat would probably be better off firing STAB Brave Birds, but just curious.
Its a lack luster set better left to other pokemon, but I did mention it in the optional changes.

Anyways I just finished it, people can Suggest/Critic and QC can be applied at Controler's disgression.

name: CB BatJr
move 2: U-Turn
move 3: Pursuit / Steel Wing
move 4: Super Fang / Heat Wave / Steel Wing
nature: Jolly / Adamant
Ev's: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
This would be the correct formatting of the set (which I realize a lot of people are nagging you about, LOL sorry), as well as what I consider to be a more suitable organization of the moves. Brave Bird is obvious and U-Turn is great on any Choiced set, which in my mind makes it worth its own slot. Pursuit, IMO, is also worth its own slot on a CB for its revenging ability. Steel Wing isn't that important to me; honestly I see Super Fang as a superior option for hitting Rock- and Steel-types, though I suppose you could always run both Steel Wing and Heat Wave. Maybe this exact setup doesn't need to be used, but regardless, I do think that U-Turn deserves its own slot and Super Fang needs a mention on the set.

Personally I don't think Steel Wing deserves to be on the set. Zubat hates being matched up against Rock-types and they'll all just kill Zubat with Stone Edge or whatnot. Plus, Rock-types bar Aaken have way too much defense to care about Steel Wing. I also think you should slash a Choice Scarf as the item on the Choice Band set and rename it Choice, as Scarf Zubat makes a good check to Zuruggu.

I agree with adding choice scarf. Zubat can hit 14 speed quite easily, so it can run a little bulk with a scarf, and it has u-turn for great scouting. With Banryu's reorganization, scarf should definitely get tacked on, and I would say that adamant should be the primary slash.

Apparently I'm blind. I don't even know what he changed except for the moves, so I fail too see much "reorganization" :S
Do you understand what reorganization means? I was referencing the fact that he made U-turn a given, which is rather useful for a scarf set.

It also has to do with the formatting, IE, the spacing between slashes, capitalization on moves, little nitpicky stuff like that. :0 And yeah, U-turn is important too, LOL.

Apparently the arrangement of the moves is relatively important in the Smogon analyses. I like to rearrange moves on my Pokemon in order of their importance too, so that kind of resonates with me I guess.

Anyway, yeah. Formatting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)