Smogon Premier League II - Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Won vs. Borat, gg and tfp.

I'd like to thank the CONG for being classy opponents. Good luck in the remaining season.

_______/\_____________\o/________
_________
SHARK ATTACK!!!_________
_

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so apparently watching games Huy is in means it comes down to the last move of the last game of the best of 3

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I make it fun for my fans. Y'all paying me this much money I gotta give y'all a show.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just to clarify for the future: Pokemon is a spectator sport. The tournament matches are just as much for the battlers as they are for the people wishing to view them. You wouldn't expect the quarter finals / semi finals / finals of Smogon tournament to be unviewable by the public, so why would you expect SPL to be so when ALL of the matches are of high caliber? If both players agree to "no spectators", then it's their choice, however, in the case of disputes (where one player wants no specs and the other player wants to allow it), "spectators allowed" is the default.

Also, don't EVER let me hear of someone threatening to take an activity win in order to hardball someone into playing to their preference.

Just to clarify for the future: Pokemon is a spectator sport. The tournament matches are just as much for the battlers as they are for the people wishing to view them. You wouldn't expect the quarter finals / semi finals / finals of Smogon tournament to be unviewable by the public, so why would you expect SPL to be so when ALL of the matches are of high caliber? If both players agree to "no spectators", then it's their choice, however, in the case of disputes (where one player wants no specs and the other player wants to allow it), "spectators allowed" is the default.

And don't EVER let me hear of someone threatening to take an activity win in order to hardball someone into playing to their preference.
Uh, what? Since when is Pokemon a "spectator sport"? Sure, people open their matches up in the finals of tournaments for others to watch/record, but nobody has ever been forced to allow spectators or announce their matches in any tournament. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's poor strategy to allow spectators before the finals of a tournament, due to the heavy threat of scouting in this game (you know, the game that is heavily influenced by team matchup?). What you're suggesting here is the exact opposite of what has typically been done in the past; when one player doesn't want spectators, the other usually (by usually, I mean I have never heard of any other case) honors it. You can't force people to allow spectators if they don't want to.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Beat rem to win the week for the ruiners. As for the battle itself, let's just say it reminded rem why he quit pokemon in the first place...

EDIT: oof, this is my 1k post so I might as well address the controversy! No, we are not trying to be a dishonest team. Bad breaks and unfortunate situations happen, sometimes you just end up in the wrong place at the worst time. But if my teammates feel like they got the short end of the stick and deserve the win/a replay, I will always stand by my team as long as they're doing what they feel is right. Sorry if that pisses you off, but just remember that you can chew us up, but you'll have to spit us back out.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scouting happens regardless of no spectators / spectators... it's called "asking for the log", which people give out without even thinking twice. If you want to keep your team secret from week to week, you're in the wrong tournament.

Why would we not allow teammates to cheer on their players just because you're wanting to keep scouting to a minimum when it's going to happen regardless of the precautions against it.

Scouting happens; deal with it. That's why we don't have ANY official rules against scouting - you can't fight it.

As if legit scouting ever even helped someone. If you're playing with an old team and you're not playing as though your team could be potentially known by your opponent, you're an idiot.

In a team tournament, as well as one where pretty much every participant is a pro which makes every match a high caliber one that is fun to watch, the pros of not forcing someone to play w/out specs outweigh the "reduced scouting" effects of no specs.

I'm not saying that you can't have no spectators if both people agree to it. I'm not saying you have to play on Smogon Server with your forum name. I'm not saying you have to announce the battle before hand so that people know it's about to happen. All I'm saying is that if one side wants spectators (for whatever the reason, most likely so that their team can watch and support them), they should be allowed. Don't forget that this is a TEAM tournament - different preferences should take precedence.

having spectators can affect the match as there's also nothing to stop them from shouting out random stuff that could make the players change their movessssssssssssssss

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
There's also nothing "technically" stopping me from ghost battling, or from changing my EVs / IVs in between matches if I'm playing VGC, or any number of unpreventable things. We use the honor system a lot in this tournament, I don't see any reason why it would change now.

If you're spectating a match, be respectful and be quiet or keep comments to IRC channels or just don't say anything that might be considered advice I mean come on use common sense here...

Anyway I really doubt that this will even affect much. There are ways to accommodate the player who doesn't want spectators because of scouting WHILE still allowing the player who does want them to all their teammates / friends to watch: play on a different server, don't play with your forum names, don't tell anyone except for teammates that you're battling. While alternatively there is NO way to accommodate the person who wants to let their teammates watch but is having "no specs" forced on them. He's just screwed because you were a whiner. Why should your preference take precedence over his when yours can be accommodated by alternate means while his can't?

We shouldn't choose to be more restrictive when we don't have to be.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
having spectators can affect the match as there's also nothing to stop them from shouting out random stuff that could make the players change their movessssssssssssssss
Does PO/Shoddy not have an "Ignore Watch Chat" option?

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Also, don't EVER let me hear of someone threatening to take an activity win in order to hardball someone into playing to their preference.
The biggest difference between the Smogon Tournament and SPL is that the Smogon Tournament is an individual event, whereas the SPL is a team event. There is no reason to suspect things like ghosting in the ST, because there is no incentive to help other individuals when you may need to face them later. In a team event, there is a major incentive to help other teammates, and thus a major risk of ghosting. Why would Iconic want to play Folgorio in a situation where there is a major risk that he could actually be playing Gouki? I could understand if this was the SPL playoffs, but this isn't. Also, since this is a ruling that affects every game of every team, including LonelyNess' team and LonelyNess' games, I would like to know why he even has the jurisdiction here as opposed to Mekkah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)