Leafeon (Placeholder)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafeon

[Overview]

• Interesting stat distribution: high defense, mediocre speed, acceptable attack
  • Chlorophyll and Leaf Guard allow for unpredictability under the sun brought by Ninetails
  • Unfortunately shallow movepool;

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Leaf Blade
move 3: Return/Double Edge
move 4: Quick Attack/Synthesis
item: Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

• This set abuses the drought brought by ninetails to attempt a sweep.
  • Leafeon's high defense allows it to get off a Swords Dance against several strong physical attacks.
  • Swords Dance boosts Leafeon's attack to 638, and Chlorophyll doubles its speed to 634
  • Leaf Blade does quite a lot of damage to most weather setters, allowing Leafeon to catch them on the switch.

[Additional Comments]

• Stealth Rock allows Leafeon to get KOs it wouldn't have otherwise, as well as making it harder for many of its counters to switch in.
  • Walled by many steel types such as Nattorei, Bronzong, and Heatran.
  • The last slot depends on whether Leafeon fits better on the team picking off weakened attackers or

[SET]
name: Physical Wall
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Leaf Blade
move 4: Yawn/Heal Bell/Roar
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
Nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[Set Comments]
  • Under the sun, Leaf Guard prevents Leafeon from being afflicted by any status conditions.
[Additional Comments]

• EV spread is for maximum physical bulkiness, allowing it to take many hits

[Team Options]

• As Leafeon is intended to be used with sun support, Ninetails is invaluable to Leafeon.
  • Because Leafeon has issues getting through steel types, Magnezone/Magneton is one of Leafeon's best partners.
  • In addition, Speed Boost Blaziken does an excellent job of removing Pokemon which Leafeon can't really touch.

[Optional Changes]

[Counters]
  • Scizor.
  • Leafeon is walled by pretty much every steel out there without resorting to a Hidden Power.

Scizor, Bronzong, Nattorei, Skarmory, and Heatran are five counters I can think of off the top of my head. I don't really see why you would use Leafeon over Venusaur though. Venusaur has Growth, so it can go Mixed, Sleep Powder, and has some way of beating the aforementioned Pokemon (HP Fire + Earthquake).

you should mention X-scissor becuse it hits grass types harder than return

this set also works greatly in leafeon

name:flail
moves:
leaf blade
swords dance/X-scissor
flail
endure
EVs:252atk/4def/252spe
item:salac berry/liechi berry
ability:chlorophyll
natures:jolly/adamant

[set comments]
it can hit even its counters hard if running this set,except shandera,giratina,forretress and some variants of scizor after a swords dance and salac berry boost,the sun bought by ninetails let it vulnerable to fire moves,making endure necessary

counters:Drifblim,Giratina(both formes),gengar,scizor,skarmory,forretress,wormadan(steel),shandera,shubarugo,genosect
and heatran

[aditional comments]
you can run a focus sash if you're worried about OHKOs,a red card can also be useful to force switches on your counters

moves:
leaf blade
swords dance/X-scissor
flail
endure

[set comments]
it can hit even its counters hard if running this set,except shandera,giratina,forretress and some variants of scizor after a swords dance and salac berry boost,the sun bought by ninetails let it vulnerable to fire moves,making endure necessary

counters:Drifblim,Giratina(both formes),gengar,scizor,skarmory,forretress,wormadan(steel),shandera,shubarugo,genosect
and heatran

[aditional comments]
you can run a focus sash if you're worried about OHKOs,a red card can also be useful to force switches on your counters
Weather and priority ruin this and both are very common in this metagame. And Leafeon isn't frail enough to abuse Focus Sash since its defenses are actually pretty good.

For the OP you should make sets that show users how Leafeon can excel and making it an inferior Venusaur isn't one of them. Venusaur gets Growth and has a way to deal with the numerous Steel-types that laugh at its STABs.

Leafeon can be a good physical wall and that's what it can excel at, facing only competition from Tangrowth but Wish and Heal Bell give it a niche.

moves:
leaf blade
swords dance/X-scissor
flail
endure

[set comments]

and heatran

[aditional comments]
What zdrup said, there's too much priority for this to work. Also what are all these Ubers you're listing? This is the OU subforum.

Scizor, Bronzong, Nattorei, Skarmory, and Heatran are five counters I can think of off the top of my head. I don't really see why you would use Leafeon over Venusaur though. Venusaur has Growth, so it can go Mixed, Sleep Powder, and has some way of beating the aforementioned Pokemon (HP Fire + Earthquake).
Venusaur does outclass this, but it is still effective at what it does, which means it gets a set. I'm pretty sure this is current QC policy.

Weather and priority ruin this and both are very common in this metagame. And Leafeon isn't frail enough to abuse Focus Sash since its defenses are actually pretty good.

For the OP you should make sets that show users how Leafeon can excel and making it an inferior Venusaur isn't one of them. Venusaur gets Growth and has a way to deal with the numerous Steel-types that laugh at its STABs.

Leafeon can be a good physical wall and that's what it can excel at, facing only competition from Tangrowth but Wish and Heal Bell give it a niche.
yes,leafeon is really a great phisical wall,wheather is common but it can be reverted,leafeon can switch at priority if predicted correctly.
anyway.... i'm kinda new at pokemon so don't push it too much,ok?
anyways..... thanks for your comment :),it made me learn a few things

I'd advise making reference to Sawsbuck - who has the same speed and similar offensive capability with much better coverage options - when you write it up fully. Leafeon has better Def, letting it switch into EQs, and is also not priority weak. I'd also add X-Scissor as mentioned as its pretty much only other viable attacking option, but also Baton Pass on the first set. Since he's walled by so much, moving the boosts off to something else trying to wall you is entirely possible, especially given his lack of other options. Flash Fire mons like Arcanine, Houndoom etc often appreciate the +2 attack and can easily come in on Ice and Fire attacks aimed at Leafeon. Note that I'm uncertain as to the release of DW Eevee as opposed to DW Leafeon alone, so if Eevee is not released BP will be illegal, however (should probably mention this if it is the case).

Counters - pretty much every Steel in the game unless running HP Fire off its awful SpAtk.

I'll have another look when you've doen the write-up, that's it for now, hope it's somewhat helpful.

Baton Pass is illegal with Chlorophyll for now until Eevee is released into the dreamworld since all DW Leafeon come at level 10 and are male. I did this research when I was writing this.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would totally list a Steel-type counter if I were using this. Seriously. Like Benlisted said, this thing is pretty much walled by "pretty much" every Steel-type out there unless it's running a horribly-powered Hidden Power or the ever-avoidable Dig.

So you may know this already, but obviously Leafeon is going to need a powerful wallbreaker with a good Fire-type move in the sun. Ninetales can do the job, but generally you're still going to have trouble with Heatran (And Tyranitar in a way), so Blaziken does a pretty good job of avoiding Balloon Heatran whilst sweeping with Speed Boost and Life Orb.

I think you should include a bulky physical attacker set as a counter to Excadrill, Conkeldurr, etc. Leafeon can take Rock Slide, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Close Combat, Mach Punch, Drill Run, other Fighting moves, etc due to it's grass typing and huge DEF stat.

Leafeon
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Chorophyll
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EV's: 252 ATK / 252 DEF / 4 Speed
Moves:
- Leaf Blade
- Aerial Ace
- X-Scizzor
- Swords Dance / Toxic / Charm / Yawn

Leaf Blade has a high chance of critical hits and is the STAB move. The other attacks are for coverage. Aerial Ace is to hit Fighting types. The last slot is up to you. Swords Dance on the switch , or Toxic/Yawn the switch in. Charm can be used to force the switch or cripple the incoming counter.

252 DEF EV's maximise Leafeon's ability to take hits, so he can switch into physical attacks.
Speed EV's aren't needed in the Sun.

i can't see how this would work in ou. i mean you can't use hidden power fire effectively to abuse the sun and to get through scizor and skarm, plus swords dance won't let you beat them anyways since they'll take boosted leaf blades all day. plus, leafeon isn't exactly slow, and doesn't need the speed boost that much, not to mention its movepool sucks. leafeon is just walled by too much, and if you're going to use a chlorophyll sweeper, you're better off using something mixed like venusaur.

QC Rejected 1/3

I agree with Iconic ^
especially due to leafeon being walled by so much, and Venusaur being able to hit more and really to be able to hit harder with mixed in sun.

This is honestly outclassed by too much for it to be viable in the rigorous 5th gen. OU tier.

Btw, change this to Quality Control, it's no longer a placeholder.

I'd say keep it to UU, but I do use a leafeon.

[SET]
name: Bulky SD
move 1: Swords Dance
move 3: Toxic/X-Scissor
move 4: Synthesis
item: Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
evs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe

Toxic over synthesis for prediction purposes, SD boosts its low attack, with few EV's poured in, and move it up to 400+. X-Scissor is fun if you want to atleast try it, I don't and haven't tried it yet. So maxing out speed (if no sun) allows it to do something without dying to a u-turn.

If it's in the sun, run a 252hp/252Def/4atk boosting its speed to being moderate to very nice and being very bulky.

Just an idea.

He does get Work Up, but even that wouldn't help much in the sun with his movepool. He's not that slow either, but regardless, he won't fit in the standard game at all.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
X-Scissor should definitely get a mention on the SD set's OO because it hits other Grass-types way harder, with the added boost of hitting Psychic-types harder (the only thing that set can do better than Virizion and Breloom).

It also gets Swords Dance, Curse, Substitute, Wish, Roar and Baton Pass. I'm sure you can pick something cool out of those to help a BP team. Even a simple Swords Dance + Baton Pass set would probably make Leafeon way more useful in OU (which this analysis is currently aimed for).

It also gets Swords Dance, Curse, Substitute, Wish, Roar and Baton Pass. I'm sure you can pick something cool out of those to help a BP team. Even a simple Swords Dance + Baton Pass set would probably make Leafeon way more useful in OU (which this analysis is currently aimed for).
Yes, I was surpised that Baton Pass wasn't in the Swords Dance set in the first place. Then his lack of ways to harm Steel types would be less of a problem.

No, I'm aware of that using the two together is illegal. Baton Pass should be in the set anyways along with Chlorophyll slashed with Leaf Guard. Just state that if you opt for Baton Pass, Leaf Guard must be used, simple. If not, then put the move in AC. It's just Leafeon, so such specific movesets for every situation is uneeded for this analysis in my opinion.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I love Leafeon as much as the next guy, but unfortunately its a bad sun sweeper. Other than speed, it offers nothing over Venusaur / Tangrowth.

Sorry
QC Rejected 2/3

Why not run a mixed sun sweeper with cheer up and HP fire? It would look something like this:

[set]
Name:Cheer up Mixed Sweeper
move 1: Cheer Up
move 3: Return
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
item: life orb/leftovers
evs: 252Atk/136SpA/124Spe
nature: Naughty/Naive
ability: Chlorophyll

EDIT: Playtested. Speed Evs outspeed jolly +2 cloyster in the sun, OHKOs latios with a +1 return after SR (assuming LO)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why not run a mixed sun sweeper with cheer up and HP fire? It would look something like this:

[set]
Name:Cheer up Mixed Sweeper
move 1: Cheer Up
move 3: Return
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
item: life orb/leftovers
nature: Naughty/Naive
ability: Chlorophyll

Not sure about the evs... possibly a physically bulky set to set up on physical attackers or an offensive spread. Haven't playtested it yet but getting round to it. It should put a dent it most steels bar heatran.
Why use that when you have Growth Venusaur?

I second the mention of x-scissor, as it allows you to hit with atleast nuetral damage againt ferrothorn and bronzong, which leafeon without has problems with. It also is useful to hit other grass types hard, which are now more common in OU.

Leafeon is also faster then Venusaur which can be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)