Virizion (Analysis)

Pokedex Page

QC Approvals: Iconic, Kevin Garret and Panamaxis
GP Approvals: Fatecrashers and jc104

[Overview]

<p>Let's face it, Virizion is a Pokemon that simply oozes class. Its superior attitude and power mean that its legendary status is well deserved. The Grass- / Fighting-type combination is only shared with Breloom, but Virizion has many advantages over its mushroom counterpart.</p>

<p>One thing immediately stands out when looking at Virizion's assets: its 129 base Special Defense that, alongside its typing, makes it one of the best Pokemon to use against weather-based teams. Its 108 Speed stat, shared with the other musketeers (Terrakion and Cobalion), allows it to outspeed most of the OU tier. Virizion also has access to both Calm Mind and Swords Dance, so it can work as either as a very bulky special sweeper or an all-out physical sweeper.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Virizion isn't without its negative aspects. It has to rely on the incredibly inaccurate Focus Blast on the special sweeper set. Its Defense stat is decent at best, and it has some trouble taking strong neutral physical attacks. Its Justified ability is also a rather useless one since Dark-type attacks are rare in OU and Tyranitar, its main user, won't be staying in on any of Virizion's sets. Despite these faults however, Virizion is still a great Pokemon and it should always be considered when building a team.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Calm Mind
move1: Calm Mind
move2: Giga Drain
move3: Focus Blast
move4: Hidden Power Ice / Taunt
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 30 Atk / 30 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Using Calm Mind, Virizion can boost its already impressive Special Defense and decent Special Attack, allowing it to beat stall team staples such as Jellicent, Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Gliscor. Its Grass STAB - Giga Drain - lets Virizion heal itself while causing massive damage to the opponent. Focus Blast is chosen as the secondary STAB move, despite its low accuracy, because it's the only special Fighting-type attack that Virizion learns and it's needed to KO Chansey / Blissey and Ferrothorn that would otherwise wall Virizion. The last move depends on what you want Virizion to do, but Hidden Power Ice is usually the best option in order to hit the Flying-types that resist its STAB moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The first three moves are, as stated above, mandatory, leaving the fourth slot up for grabs. Hidden Power Ice is the preferred option in order to deal with common Flying-types like Thundurus and Gliscor, while netting an OHKO on Salamence (with Stealth Rock on the field) and Dragonite with a little prior damage. Taunt is the alternative, and it gives Virizion many opportunities to set up against Pokemon that rely on status moves to prevent a Virizion sweep, such as Chansey, Blissey, and Ferrothorn. Reflect may look like an inferior option, but it does have its merit; behind it, Virizion can set up on physical attackers that would otherwise dole out significant damage. Leftovers is the preferred item as it provides Virizion with more durability, possibily granting it one more Calm Mind, but Life Orb can be used for the extra power it provides, since it maximizes the amount of health recovered by Giga Drain. However, when playing under Sandstorm or Hail, be aware that Virizion will take 16% damage per turn if it's holding Life Orb.</p>

<p>Virizion's main counters are Latios, Latias, and Reuniclus; they can come in, set up Calm Minds alongside Virizion, while laughing at its STAB moves and meagre Hidden Power Ice, and then OHKO it with STAB Psyshock. Tornadus outspeeds Virizion and can OHKO with Hurricane, while specially bulky Jirachi can switch in, paralyze with Body Slam or Thunder Wave, and proceed to KO with Iron Head. A Pokemon that can eliminate these threats is therefore a good partner for Virizion. Tyranitar is one of the best because it can use Pursuit and Crunch to eliminate the Psychic-type counters, while Tornadus can be dealt with by STAB Stone Edge. Specially bulky Jirachi is another good Pokemon to pair Virizion with as it can take everything the aforementioned counters throw at it, while paralyzing them with Body Slam and healing itself and Virizion with Wish.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move1: Swords Dance
move2: Close Combat
move3: Stone Edge
move4: Leaf Blade / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Swords Dance, Virizion only needs one turn of setup to start sweeping, as opposed to the Calm Mind set, which usually needs two or three turns to make an impact. However, it doesn't do anything for Virizion's defenses (Close Combat lowers them), so Virizion will usually have fewer turns to inflict damage before it gets knocked out. Swords Dance is the boosting move of choice, skyrocketing the musketeer's Attack to a beastly 558. Virizion can then make good use of a very powerful STAB Close Combat to destroy anything that isn't resistant or immune to it. Stone Edge grants great coverage, hitting Flying-types for super effective damage. The last slot is a choice between two moves; Leaf Blade is usually the better choice, since it provides Virizion with a second good STAB move to work with, netting OHKOs on bulky Ground- and Water-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In the last slot, Leaf Blade may seem superior to Hidden Power Ice with no investment. However, when one takes into account the fact that Gliscor, one of the best physical walls, can survive a +2 Leaf Blade and proceed to poison Virizion and attempt to stall it do death, the value of Hidden Power Ice immediately becomes apparent; Hidden Power Ice is a clean 2HKO on Gliscor, so all it takes is some prior damage to take it out.</p>

<p>When using this set, Virizion loses out on some important KOs against more defensive Pokemon, like the aforementioned Gliscor. However, Virizion does make a great partner for other physical sweepers, it can take large chunks out of the opposing team's walls, thus opening up a sweep for another teammate like Air Balloon Excadrill or Swords Dance Terrakion. If you want Virizion to be the main sweeper, Landorus can lure Gliscor in and OHKO it with Hidden Power Ice, opening up a sweep for the musketeer.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Virizion's support movepool is huge, and it allows the musketeer to perform a number of roles on your team, although it may not be as effective as other support Pokemon. It gets Reflect and Light Screen so it can act as a dual screener; in that case it should have a Bold nature, investment in HP and Defense, and Giga Drain to let it set up screens again later in the game. It also gets Toxic and Roar, so it can act as a special wall and a phazer after some defensive investment.</p>

<p>If one wants Virizion to act as a mixed sweeper, a Work Up set is a viable option; Hasty and max Speed should be used in this case to allow Virizion to tie with Terrakion and Infernape, with a moveset of Close Combat, Giga Drain, and Hidden Power Ice. Virizion is also a part of the legendary Fighting-type group and, as such, it has access to their signature move Sacred Sword; it has 30 less Base Power than Close Combat but it does have two advantages: it doesn't lower Virizion's defenses and it bypasses the opponent's stats changes, which can be useful. This move can replace Close Combat on the Swords Dance set if the defense drops prove to be unbearable.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Virizion's main counters are Latias, Latios, Reuniclus, and Tornadus; they all outspeed (using Trick Room in Reuniclus's case) Virizion and can OHKO it either with Psyshock or Hurricane. Virizion also has some trouble getting past Gliscor with the Swords Dance set, but of course Gliscor must watch out for Hidden Power Ice. Another Pokemon that can be problematic is Forretress; it isn't weak to Fighting-type attacks and has a huge base Defense, so it can take a boosted attack and use Gyro Ball to do significant damage in return.</p>

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think HP Ice is still the better option in the last slot and should be slashed before taunt, there's too many important stuff it needs it for.... fly/elec genies, gliscor, salamence, celebi, latios, latias zapdos, actually you're pretty much helpless against flying and dragon types in general without it. Drop Reflect from the slash and just mention it in AC imo.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Should probably should give the physically bulky set a mention in AC. Countering Doryuuzu and checking Landlos is a pretty big deal.

Bulky Gyara can do reasonably well against it with dragon tail to phaze. Not a counter but a decent check as it resists fighting and is neutral to grass and ice.

Should probably should give the physically bulky set a mention in AC. Countering Doryuuzu and checking Landlos is a pretty big deal.
I personally prefer to invest in speed and to add Reflect, using Virizion's perfect speed, which allows it to use fast Reflect in similar way like Lugia in Ubers. Something like this:

'Speedy Physical Tank'
Birijion @ Leftovers
252 HP / 208 Spe / 44 Def
Jolly / Naive Nature
~ Reflect
~ Close Combat
~ Leaf Blade / Grass Knot
~ Hidden Power Ice / Stone Edge / Taunt

Those speed EVs are enough to outspeed Jolly Garchomp, however you may drop those speed EVs to outspeed base 90's (Lucario mostly). Also with those EVs you survive 100% of time X-Scissor from Excadrill (watch out on +2 Return, as it OHKO you back).

However Max HP/ Max Def is also viable, I just prefer speedier spread.

Where's the Dual Screen set? High speed, unique typing, good bulk, STAB Giga Drain, etc

Also, HP Ice is the best option in the fourth slot. Truth. Gligar sucks.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Would slashing Life Orb on the CM set be a good idea? Virijion has a SpA stat of 90, which is good, but not too great (even at +1), so Life Orb might help it out. In addition, Giga Drain helps restore the HP lost by the recoil.

May I contribute with some potential sets for Virizion? However, I can only post the sets, but not the description. Mostly because I'm too lazy and I'm not that experienced with using Virizion (Hint: I never used it). So you'd have to make a description yourself, because I can't without sounding too biased or clueless.

Sword Dance
Virizion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 ATK/ 252 SPE/4 HP
Nature: Jolly
-Sword Dance
-Close Combat/Sacred Sword
-Leaf Blade
-Stone Edge/Quick Attack

Offensive Calm Mind
Virizion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SP. ATK/ 252 SPE/4 HP
Nature: Timid
-Calm Mind
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball/Grass Knot
-Hidden Power [Ice]

Defensive Calm Mind
Virizion @ Leftovers
EVs: 52 SP. ATK/ 202 SPE/150 HP/100 DEF
Nature: Timid
-Calm Mind
-Focus Blast
-Giga Drain
-Toxic/Roar/Substitute/taunt

Duel Screens
Virizion @ Leftovers/Light Clay
EVs: 252 SPE/100 Sp. ATK/152 HP
Nature: Jolly
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Giga Drain
-Toxic/Roar/Taunt

Ok my Golurk analysis is waiting for GP checks and the Abomasnow one is waiting for QC checks so I guess it's Virizion's time to shine!

Since this is the most used pokemon of the ones I'm writing analysis of, I'll take more time doing this.

I'll playtest the Offensive CM set, the SD set and I'll try to come up with a Bulky CM set (EV spreads appreciated).

Keep posting your suggestions guys!

Also, if you suggest a set, explain how it works and why it should be included in the analysis (feel free to provide some logs but this isn't mandatory).

If you do this and the arguments sound logic, I'll obviously playtest it and it can be included.

I did some tests with a bulky calm mind at first and found the all out one more effective, do to higher damage output with Giga Drain cause you to heal more damage.

"Skarmory counters very well, being able to take a +2 Stone Edge"
you have this in counters to the offensive calm mind. probably a mistake. for the swords dance set probably shouldnt even mention it can take a +2 stone edge cuz it will more likely taking a +2 close combat anyway

"Pokémon that lure Dark-type attacks, but not Pursuit."
this is also in the calm mind set and is kinda untrue because +1 attack isnt doing you any favors on a special attacking set. it should also read bar pursuit.

"Skarmory counters very well, being able to take a +2 Stone Edge"
you have this in counters to the offensive calm mind. probably a mistake. for the swords dance set probably shouldnt even mention it can take a +2 stone edge cuz it will more likely taking a +2 close combat anyway

"Pokémon that lure Dark-type attacks, but not Pursuit."
this is also in the calm mind set and is kinda untrue because +1 attack isnt doing you any favors on a special attacking set. it should also read bar pursuit.
Thanks. I'm playtesting and I will only edit it when I'm certain the sets work / don't work but I appreciate your corrections.

And thanks RaikouLover for the feedback on the bulky CM set

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not a GP Checker, but I can help you out. The analysis in general is a bit messy in a few places, so I took care of that.

Red represents deletion
Blue represents adding / change
Green represents notes/comments

[Overview]

<p>When one looks at Virizion, it's impossible not to think classy. It looks indeed to have a superior attitude and everything about it proves that its Legendary status is well deserved. Its valiant, courageous characteristics, in addition to its competitive potency, prove that is legendary status is indeed well-deserved. (Your previous sentence was very hard to comprehend / pronounce, so I changed it) The Grass / Fighting - type is a type combination is only shared with Breloom, but Virizion has many advantages over its mushroom partner counterpart.</p>

<p>Looking at Virizion's assets, one thing immediatly immediately stands out: its 129 base Special Defense that, alongside its typing, allows it to be one of the best Pokemon to use against weather-based teams. Its 108 Speed stat, shared with the other musqueteers (Terrakion and Cobalion), as well as Infernape, allows it to outspeed most of the threats of the OU tier. Virizion also has access to Calm Mind and Swords Dance, which allow it to work either as a very bulky special sweeper attacker or as an all-out physical sweeper.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Virizion also has some negative aspects. It has to rely on an incredibly innaccurate inaccurate Focus Blast on the special sweeper set, which can let it down sometimes. Its Defense stat is also decent at best and it has some troubles in taking strong neutral physical attacks. Its Justice Heart ability is also a rather useless one since Dark-type attacks are really rare in OU and Tyranitar, its main user a popular, if not main, user of Dark-type attacks, can't afford to stay in on any of Virizion's sets. Despite these flaws, Virizion is a great Pokemon and it should always be considered when building a team.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Calm Mind
move1: Calm Mind
move2: Giga Drain
move3: Focus Blast
move4: Hidden Power Ice / Taunt
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Using Calm Mind, Virizion can boost its already huge Special Defense and decent Special Attack, allowing it to beat the most common Pokemon in stall teams like Jellicent, Ferrothorn, Blissey and Gliscor (you need Hidden Power Ice for the latter as Acrobat is a OHKO). Its Grass STAB, - Giga Drain, - lets Virizion heal itself while causing massive damage. Focus Blast is the second attacking move, even though it has really low accuracy because it's the only special Fighting-type attack Virizion learns. and it's Giga Drain is also crucial to KO pivot Chansey, / Blissey, and Ferrothorn, that all of whom would otherwise laugh at it. The last move depends on what you want Virizion to do. but Hidden Power Ice is usually the best option to hit the Flying-types that resist its STAB moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The first three moves are, as stated above, mandatory, leaving the fourth slot up for grabs. Hidden Power Ice is the preferred option to hit the numerous Flying-types like Zapdos and Gliscor, while netting an OHKO on Salamence (with Stealth Rock on the field) and Garchomp with little prior damage. Taunt is the alternative and it gives Virizion many opportunities to set up against pokemon that rely on status moves to prevent a Virizion sweep like Chansey, Blissey, and Ferrothorn. Reflect may look like an inferior option but it does have its merit; behind it, Virizion can set up in on weak physical attackers that would otherwise cause significant damage to it. Leftovers is the preferred item as it provides Virizion with more durability, possibily granting it one more Calm Mind, but Life Orb can be used for the extra power it provides, since it maximizes the amount of health recovered by Giga Drain. However, when under a Sandstorm or Hail, Virizion will take 16% damage per turn if it's holding Life Orb.</p>

<p>Virizion's main counters are Latios, Latias and Reuniculus; they can come in, set up allongside alongside Virizion, while laughing at its STAB moves and its low power Hidden Power Ice, and then OHKO it with STAB Psycho Shock. Thundurus and Tornadus also outspeed and either OHKO with Hurricane or cripple with priority Thunder Wave (In Thunderus’ case), and both have priority Taunt to stop the set-up. For these reasons, a Pokemon that can eliminate these threats is a good partner for Virizion. Tyranitar is one of the best because it can use Pursuit and Crunch to eliminate the Psychic-type trio counters and Stone Edge to get rid of the last two. Special bulky A specially-defensive Scizor can also do this to an extent, although Thundurus can be hard to take down due to its secondary Electric-type.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move1: Swords Dance
move2: Close Combat
move3: Stone Edge
move4: Leaf Blade / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Swords Dance, Virizion only needs one turn to set up and to start sweeping, as opposed to the Calm Mind set that usually needs two or three turns to make an impact. However, it doesn't boost Virizion's defenses (Close Combat lowers them), so it will usually have less turns to inflict damage. Swords Dance is the boosting move of choice, skyrocketing the musqueteer's Attack to 558. Then Virizion can then make use of a very powerful STAB Close Combat that destroys anything that doesn't resist it, while Stone Edge grants a great coverage move, hitting the Flying-types for Super Effective super-effective damage. The last slot is a choice between two moves but Leaf Blade is usually the better choice, since it provides Virizion with a good STAB move to work with, netting the OHKOs on the bulky Ground- and Water-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>On the last slot, Leaf Blade may seem a much superior option than a non-invested Hidden Power Ice. However, when one takes into account the fast fact that Gliscor is one of the best physical walls, Hidden Power Ice appears as a valid move for its ability to cripple the Ground / Flying-type that would otherwise be almost impossible to defeat, since it can survive a +2 Leaf Blade and OHKO back with STAB Acrobat;. Hidden Power Ice is a clean 2HKO on Gliscor, so all it takes is some prior damage on it to take it out.</p>

<p>When using this set, Virizion loses some important KOes on the more defensive pokemon, like the aforementioned Gliscor, but it can be part of a duo with another physical sweeper. Virizion can cripple it, opening a sweep for another pokemon teammate like Balloon Excadrill with Return or Swords Dance Blaziken. If one wants Virizion to be the sweeper, Landorus can lure Gliscor in and OHKO it with Hidden Power Ice, opening a sweep for the musqueteer.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Like every other sweeper, Virizion is greatly helped by entry hazards, as they help it achieve some KOes it normally couldn't. Tentacruel is one of the best pokemon Pokémon to set them up as it resists Fire-, Ice- and the less common Poison-type attacks, while being able to set up both Spikes and Toxic Spikes and use Rapid Spin to keep them away of your side of the field. They do share a Psychic-type weakness, which isn't advisable when one looks at the counters' section and see the Psychic-type trio Virizion’s several Psychic-type counters. Foretress Forretress shares a Fire-type weakness but, looking past that, they Virizion and Forretress have good synergy and it can set up every type of entry hazard as well as spinning them too.</p>

<p>Since both sets can open some holes on the opponent's team, pairing Virizion with a sweeper that hits from the same side of the spectrum, may often prove to be an efficient combination, much like Infernape and Lucario were on the fourth Generation. One good partner is Trick Room Reuniculus, that enjoys not having Chansey / Blissey to switch in and stop its fun and can remove the Psychic-types with Shadow Ball to help Virizion. Other great partners are Swords Dance Terrakion and Excadrill that can often sweep if Gliscor is already out of the game.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Virizion's support movepool is huge and it allows the musqueteer to perform a number of roles on your team, although it may not be as effective. It gets Reflect and Light Screen and it can perform a Dual Screen role, setting them both up; it should have a Bold nature and invest on its HP and Defense, while using Giga Drain to survive long enough to possibly set them up again later in the game. It also gets Toxic and Roar, being able to act like a special wall and a phazer with some defensive investement investment.</p>

<p>If one wants Virizion to act as a mixed sweeper, a Cheer Up set is a viable option; Hasty is the best nature and, alongside with max speed EVs allow it to tie with Terrakion and Infernape, with Close Combat, Giga Drain and Hidden Power Ice as the best options for such set. Virizion is also a part of the legendary Fighting-type group and, as such, it has access to their signature move Sacred Sword; it has 30 Base Power less than Close Combat but it does have two advantages: it doesn't lower Virizion's defenses and it bypasses the opponent's stats changes, which can be useful. This move can replace Close Combat on the Swords Dance set if the defenses drop prove to be unbearable.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Virizion's main counters are Latias, Latios, Reuniculus, Thundurus and Tornadus; they all outspeed (using Trick Room on Reuniculus' case) and can either OHKO it with Psycho Shock and Hurricane or cripple it with priority Thunder Wave. Specially-bulky Dragonite is much more used this Generation thanks to Multi-Scale and it can come in, tank an unboosted Hidden Power Ice and cripple with Thunder Wave to make any attempt of a sweep void. Virizion also has some troubles in getting past Gliscor with the Swords Dance set, but first the opponent has to make sure it doesn't carry Hidden Power Ice or else Gliscor will be in big troubles. Another Pokémon pokemon that can be problematic is Foretress Forretress, that which isn't weak to Fighting-type attacks and has a huge base Defense being able to take a boosted attack. and use Forretress can then use Gyro Ball to do significant damage in return. For all of these Pokemon, mixed Tyranitar is a great check, abusing the Special Defense boost in Sandstorm to KO Latios, Latias and Reuniculus with Pursuit / Crunch, the genies with Stone Edge and Foretress with Fire Blast. (This belongs in the teammates section)</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Virizion doesn't have a Dream World ability.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)