Nuzlocke Challenge

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For HG/SS, anything with high speed and SA rapes face with a Choice Specs. Espeon, Gengar, and Alakazam are all excellent choices. IIRC Curselax will absolutely kill Red if you just set up on his Pikachu. Doesn't help you in the first 3/4 of the game though.

I suggest using Piplup and abusing Intimidate e.g. get a Staraptor, Luxray and Gyarados. Particularly since Gyarados is Platinums LG Starmie, that is to say a pokemon which rapes the game. I`ve actually been compiling a list of pokemon that break the Nuzlocke challenge and I would be interested in some input.

FR/LG: Starmie; Surf/Bolt/Beam allows you to sweep the majority of the Elite Four with ease. All around stats means its unlikely to be KOed.

HG/SS: Poliwrath/Miltank: An unsure choice, these two get the nod for their fast Substitutesand ability to laugh at Lance`s Dragonites. Opinions here are appreciated.

R/S/E: Gardevoir: Despite being a pain in the ass to evolve, an excellent combination of stats as well as Calm Mind and a decent movepool means this thing kills evrything with ease.

D/P/Pt: Gyarados; Dragon Dance/ Waterfall/ Earthquake/Return sweeps the game, nuff said.

So guys what do you think are pokemon that are insanely good inside a Nuzlocke?
Scyther is an excellent choice in HGSS. It might have some nasty weaknesses (Rock especially), but its defenses are decent and it has good attack and speed.

Juukka's Ruby Nuzlocke Round 2

Sixth Gym Update

After defeating my father and successfully training Oinky to a suitable level, I decided it was time to head to Foretree City.

My team at this point is able to simply cruise through every challenge with little difficulty. With powerful moves and high attacking stats, my four party Pokemon work really well in tandem...

The Weather Institute was almost no challenge for Kipula the Marshtomp, who finally evolved into Swampert! So now my starter is the big, strong, bulky beast I had envisioned.

My rival May was also no trouble this time. Yunti the Mightyena took out Wailmer, Jarrila the Swellow took out Grovyle, and Kipula dismantled Numel.

Upon my arrival in Foretree I decided to speed right through and head to the next route, hoping to add a few extra levels to my team before moving on to Winona. Here I ran into Steven Stone, the mysterious trainer who seemed to always know where I was. He showed me the power of the Silph Scope and I showed him my power by catching the Kecleon that appeared.

With that out of the way I headed to the Gym and felt ready to face Winona. Sending Kipula in with its newly taught Ice beam. Swellow was no problem, Pelliper required some careful switching to avoid confusion but he went down, Skarmory was worn down with Surf, and Altaria couldn't set up in time to avoid Ice Beam's horrible power.

Six gyms in the bag, and now a chance to train and get ready for the game's next challenge.

Also considering adding a fifth Pokemon to the team, either from my PC Pokemon or through the upcoming wilds. Suggestions?

Current Roster

Kipula LV37

Jarrila LV37

Oinky LV34

Yunti LV32

PC Pokemon

Leonard LV7

Notskarm LV15

Toni II LV13

Mylli LV 13

Nullie LV14

Cloud LV17

Wynar LV5

Voltonen LV24

Tracy LV24

Lauri (Male) LV25

Castform LV25

Kalle LV30

Cemetary

All my Round 1 Pokemon :(

Ilkka LV 31 - Fell to Norman's Slaking

Gonnoly LV26 - Fell to Norman's Slaking

Laurie LV10 - Sacrificed to Norman's Slaking to heroically save me.

R/S/E: Gardevoir: Despite being a pain in the ass to evolve, an excellent combination of stats as well as Calm Mind and a decent movepool means this thing kills evrything with ease.

So guys what do you think are pokemon that are insanely good inside a Nuzlocke?
Isn't Ralts really rare in all of the places he's obtainable though? I would say that knocks Gardevoir down a rung or two in usefulness, just by virtue of the fact that probability isn't in your favor when it comes to catching one. Although, it's not like it doesn't happen - in my current Emerald Nuzlocke, my Pokemon for Petalburg Woods was Slakoth, and he's pretty damn rare.

As for Pokes that rape the game... I don't know about late game, but in HG/SS, Geodude absolutely wrecks the first few gyms. You always hear horror stories about Whitney, but Geodude totally laughs in her face. If you're playing the old games, he's even pretty good against Morty since his Ghosts don't have Levitate and you can abuse Magnitude.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also considering adding a fifth Pokemon to the team, either from my PC Pokemon or through the upcoming wilds. Suggestions?
Well, judging by your team, you could use a wall of some kind. That being said, I'd say you should grab either Swablu or Wynar out of the PC and bring them up to speed. If that's not your cup of tea, evolving Tracy into a Manectric would give you a strong and fast STAB T-Bolt to help with those bulky water types that you don't quite seem to have a reliable answer for. This would be particularly useful against whats-her-face's Walrein and Sealeos in the E4. A further option could simply be your Whismur, as Exploud doesn't have impressive stats but he's well rounded and could fill a variety of roles for your team.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I haven't tested this, but Feraligatr would probably rape in a Nuzlocke of HGSS. Level 30 evolution (wtf Gamefreak?), amazing stats (can take a supereffective hit and slam back, almost as fast as a Dragonite), gets Crunch, Ice Fang, Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Swords Dance, and is neutral against every Gym (Ice Fang helps against Clair) in Johto. Gets Superpower near end of Kanto, too.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I haven't tested this, but Feraligatr would probably rape in a Nuzlocke of HGSS. Level 30 evolution (wtf Gamefreak?), amazing stats (can take a supereffective hit and slam back, almost as fast as a Dragonite), gets Crunch, Ice Fang, Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Swords Dance, and is neutral against every Gym (Ice Fang helps against Clair) in Johto. Gets Superpower near end of Kanto, too.
I have to respectfully disagree here. True, he has excellent stats, but in a Nuzlocke he just can't stand up to repeated beatings. Ice Fang is simply not strong enough to effectively deal with Clair or Lance, and Feraligatr will wear down. Lack of his own recovery move hurts him alot, and he's not fast enough to really be an effective CBer. Also, you have to breed him to get SD, which requires alot of extra time and effort. He's definitely a solid member of any team, but in terms of dominance he falls just a hair short.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally I reckon Crobat is a fucking beast in Nuzlockes. Great typing, great speed and abusing shit with U-Turn is just awesome. Also Arcanine is pretty good with Priority Recovery (gotta breed it though) and Intimidate to help handle physical attackers. Might add in a few more later

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been using a Haunter in FireRed, and while it's a bit frail it has great offensive stats and Thief, Giga Drain and Psychic (I needed TBolt for Jolteon and don't want to moneygrind). It's great.

Chugging along on my Emerald, and got a new comic done. Again, I'm doing this partially to practice drawing, so critiques on that are welcome (but be gentle :x). I feel like the drawing has already improved from the first episode (not like I'd set up shop in Smeargle's Studio yet or anything >>), so that's encouraging.

Also, I realize that you don't get Slakoth until after Petalburg, but I was so pumped to put in the Slakoth gag in this comic that I totally forgot when I was drawing the panels out. I'm not cheating or anything, I swear :x

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6599/nuzlockeep2.jpg

Previous Episodes:

This one was way too big, sorry for the scroll bars. I'll shrink it next time D:

I don't know if anyone's seen the movie The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, but it's one of my favorites and for whatever reason a lot of the references are from that. >>

Also, I completely gave up on trying to shade in Photoshop. It just looks bad and I should get Illustrator maybe, I dunno.

Quick question, could anybody tell me how you can get a hyperlink to show up in a post under a different name? Like if I wanted the links above to display the title of the episode, as opposed to the web address? I've been dicking around with the reply box but I can't seem to find the way to do it ):

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Personally I reckon Crobat is a fucking beast in Nuzlockes. Great typing, great speed and abusing shit with U-Turn is just awesome. Also Arcanine is pretty good with Priority Recovery (gotta breed it though) and Intimidate to help handle physical attackers. Might add in a few more later
I had Crobat for HG, and it simply wasn't strong enough. If you really want to rape face, you have to be OHKOing stuff. Its speed is nice, but aside from a select few opponent pokes (Koga's Crobat) it's overkill. With a Choice Band it could be decent, but its offensive STAB typing doesn't have great coverage, and it really lacks a reliable move to hit Rocks and Steels with. Crobat looks dominant on paper, but in execution he really doesn't cut it, at least in HG.

Arcanine I could see a case for, having excellent all around stats and Intimidate. I always wondered why it never got any love in competitive play with an amazing 555 BST, but I suppose that's due to its fire typing. In game I could see him cleaning up with the right set.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I`l have to disagree with Arcanine. I used him in my previous HG Nuzlocke and he just lacked the power to OHKO anything that was neutrally damaged. He also lacked bulk so he got damaged fairly quickly.
Golem is useful but suffers from the seventh gym to around the 14th excluding Lt.Surge and Janine.
Scyther is too frail imo against anything neutral with reasonable bulk.
In FR your next best bet is probably Lapras. Good all-around stats and the perfect movepool (Surf/T-Bolt/Ice Beam/Psychic) mean its a great choice.

In my Nuzlocke I have almost finished grinding (Gengar,Poliwrath,Golem @ lv 46, Gyara @ lv 43, Mamo @ lv 45) and will prepare for the E4. Will will go down to 5 Specs shadow balls. Koga will probably be swept by Gyara, Bruno will go down to Gengar and Poliwrath, Karen to Poliwrath and Lance to Mamo and Gyarados. I`ll update tomorrow if I survive.

(Should I continue on to Red?)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I few more pokemon that I remembered that worked well for me

Heracross

Used him a shit load in my Nuzlocke challenges and he is bloody easy to get. He just mows shit up and has the bulk to take a super effective attack as well.

Gliger

I really liked this (though it was better when it evolved). I used it in a SS Nuzlocke with Roost/SD/SE/Earthquake and it smashed things too. Its fast and im a sucker for shit like U-Turn. Immunity to electrica ttacks it pretty good too and (proveded you evolve it) you can get the Elemental Fangs for coverage if needed.

Tangrowth

Used it like twice and it went o.k. Its main asset is Sleep Powder and its huge defence so I kinda used it as a supporter (like on my Typlosion HG run I ran Sunny Day and Sleep Powder so that Typlosion could 2KO Kingdra and OHKO Gyarados with Blast Burn.) Its special defence sucks though. I still reckon he is one of the better grass types out there though.

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I`ll semi-agree with Heracross. The first time I used it was in a Nuzlocke and it was one of my best members. The second time I used it was in a mono-bug run with a Bold nature and it was frustratingly inept, only dodging LVP status because of Modest Scizor. Basically if you can get one that will be +150 Atk by level 50 it will be great.

Kind of surprised no one's mentioned Typhlosion, given that it has a lot of raw killing power. Slim movepool is a bit of a problem, especially when you have to rely on Focus Blast for coverage, but it OHKOs-2HKOs pretty well anything that doesn't resist its STAB. Of course this is experience from past playthroughs and not this one because I LET MY CYNDAQUIL DIE AGAINST THE FIRST GYM -_-' (still bitter about that XD).

Haven't played much lately, but I have 3/6 Pokemon at 75 and ready to take on the E4, and another halfway there, so it won't be much longer. I just need to find the motivation to finish.

Texas Cloverleaf

And the E4 goes down as expected with no difficulty.

Will: Gengar Shadow Ball sweeps
Koga: Gyara DD sweeps
Bruno: Gyara DD sweeps
Karen: Poliwrath SubPunch sweeps
Lance: Gyara DD sweeps

gg league. Should I continue to Red?

SHeesh this is the second time, right? If you're at 75 before the first E4 run through...
Haha, yes. Have no intention of going in underleveled only to get my ass handed to me. And Texas, definitely go all the way to Red, wouldn't be much of a challenge otherwise given how easily you dismantled the E4.

@blamon123: FRLG work, as there are no trollingly difficult leaders/bosses. Every other game has thier bosses that must be prepared for from the start of the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)