Sun is totally broken [Peaked #1]

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As the title suggests, Sun is totally broken. I hit #1 with this team so i decided to make an rmt :)

I Started off with Vulpix because it's nessecary on a sun team.

I then decided to pick 2 sun sweepers. Since sun is broken enough, 2 felt like enough. Bellsprout is cool because he resists Mach punch and has access to priority and Sleep Powder, and it's immune to Toxic. He's also poke #69 which makes him amazing. Exeggcute also resists Mach Punch and has access to Sleep Powder. It's also a powerhouse in the sun.

I added a CM murkrow because it's amazing at stopping both physical and special sweepers. It's a great support pokemon and I have Bellsprout to take Toxics which is pretty much the only thing that stops CM Murkrow.

Misdreavus is an amazing poke in general so I added it partially because i wanted something to check Meditite. I went for a bulky variant.

Finally, I threw in Gligar to tie up some loose ends in the team. It gives the team Stealth Rock and Toxic support.

The Team:

Ok lets go into detail.

Vulpix (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Drought
EVs: 132 HP / 196 Def / 36 SAtk / 76 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hypnosis
- Energy Ball

Well, I usually start the game off with Vulpix. Even though leads don't matter in this gen, I like to get Sun up right off the bat. Fire Blast has got double Stab thanks to sun, which hurts pretty much everything. Double Status is amazing because I can put their lead to sleep, then fire off a Will o Wisp at whatever they bring in. Energy Ball is to hit waters, which I can do because the sun weakens water attacks.

Note: If I think I'll have a bad lead matchup, I'll usually send out Gligar instead of Vulpix.

Bellsprout (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 76 Atk / 196 SAtk / 196 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Sleep Powder
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sucker Punch

Bellsrout is amazing in the sun. It's speed is doubled instantly, and it has access to a very powerful Stab Solarbeam straight away. Anything that resists Solarbeam, (Steels and Grass types) Can be hit with a boosted Hidden Power Fire, which packs a sting. Sleep Powder lets me put Threatening pokes to sleep, notably Murkrow, which just puts the icing on the cake for sun sweepers. I went for Sucker Punch over Growth because I can pick off certain pokes if the sun isnt up. Although Bellsprout is insanely offensively threatening, it can't take many hits.

Exeggcute (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 36 Def / 196 SAtk / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- SolarBeam
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Exeggcute is Sun sweeper #2. It's got a little less Special attack, but alot more bulk than Bellsprout. It also hasn't got any priority. Other than that, Exeggcute sports Sleep Powder, Extremely powerful SolarBeam, and Hidden Power Fire. Sludge Bomb is a filler move, I wasn't too sure what to use instead of it, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Note: The rest of the team hasn't got anything to do with the Sun. It's there to support my sweepers, and keep the team useful should sun be down.

Murkrow (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 116 HP / 180 Def / 184 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- FeatherDance
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Flying]

This thing is ridiculously amazing. Mainly because it can stop both physical and special sweepers. Mischievous Heart gives all of Murkrow's non attacking moves Priority, which is the key to this set's success. You can come in on a Physical sweeper and fire off a Feather Dance without having to worry about dying. For Special sweepers, you can come in and start stacking Calm Minds and Roosting off damage. I went for Hidden Power Flying over Hidden Power Dark because I like being able to take out Zuguru. The only thing that stops this Murkrow is Toxic and Crits.
Also:
Hyper Cutter Gligar and Kotomana are complete counters.

Misdreavus (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 36 HP / 200 Def / 236 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Taunt

This MissyD is so cool. It's very bulky, which lets it take hits while setting up. It's mainly there to check fighting pokes, which Missy can normally set up on. Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting give amazing coverage. Normally, Munchlax is a surefire counter to Missy, but since this thing has Defence EV's and Evolution Stone, I can stay in and set up an extra Nasty Plot on the pursuit and then take him out of it. I picked Taunt as a filler move, but it turned out to be very useful on the team. Things like lickitung give me grief, and this helps me get rid of it.

Gligar (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 76 HP / 76 Def / 76 SDef / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Well, I really need Gligar, it's like the glue to the team. Stealth Rocks help me sweep, and even though it isnt very common in LC, it's very helpful. Toxic is amazing, because it's the only thing on the team that can touch CM Murkrow. I usually Poison it and start Roosting until it dies. I also Poison Swablu, then go to bellsprout to take their Toxic. Roost is great and nessecary on such a bulky poke. Finally, Earthquake is Gligar's best attack, hitting most non airbourne pokes with perfect accuracy and great power.

Well that's about it, thanks for reading :)
Some threats to the team. If you plan on using the team, you should read this:

Snover
is so annoying :( Firstly, it gets rid of the Sun, and secondly, alot of my team is weak to ice. I usually get rocks up, and then keep forcing it in and out with vulpix until it dies.

Murkrow is also very annoying. Mainly because you never know what it's gonna do. The Calm Mind Variants are the most annoying because they can stop my Sun sweepers and set up on them. I can put it to sleep though, or Poison it with Gligar. Stealth Rock also hurts it badly so thats cool.

Lickitung is so annoying. It can't do much to the team, but it does stop my sun sweepers with Cloud Nine and incredible bulk. I usually Taunt it with Misdreavus and Throw whatever attacks I can at it while it Dragon Tail's me around. It's not threatening, but very annoying.

Swablu also blocks my sun sweepers. The fact that it has Toxic and a +3 Defence move isn't cool.I usually go to Bellsprout to take a Toxic, then to Misdreavus to take a Pluck, then Taunt it and set up.

Nice team. I do have a suggestion that would help with that Snover weakness though: Choice Scarf Darumakka or Meraruba. They both have roughly equal defenses and speed, resist Ice and Grass and hit hard with STAB Flare Blitz, regardless of the weather. Darumakka hits harder and isn't damaged as much by Stealth Rock, while Meraruba has a secondary STAB and is slightly faster, at 24 speed opposed to Darumakka's 22. If you were to use either poke, I'd use it to replace one of your grass sweepers as they're pretty much redundant.

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I hate to sound all critical and all, but why hp fire on bellsprout? it gets weather ball, and a 100BP fire move is better than 70BP any day. I suppose you could still run hp fire for if you ever lost your sun boost, but under those circumstances bellsprout would probably be dead weight anyways, so... :/

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice team. I do have a suggestion that would help with that Snover weakness though: Choice Scarf Darumakka or Meraruba. They both have roughly equal defenses and speed, resist Ice and Grass and hit hard with STAB Flare Blitz, regardless of the weather. Darumakka hits harder and isn't damaged as much by Stealth Rock, while Meraruba has a secondary STAB and is slightly faster, at 24 speed opposed to Darumakka's 22. If you were to use either poke, I'd use it to replace one of your grass sweepers as they're pretty much redundant.
Umm, I already have vulpix which pretty much does that already, so I don't think that would help at all.

I hate to sound all critical and all, but why hp fire on bellsprout? it gets weather ball, and a 100BP fire move is better than 70BP any day. I suppose you could still run hp fire for if you ever lost your sun boost, but under those circumstances bellsprout would probably be dead weight anyways, so... :/
Well I was going to use weather ball, but I was sure if it was boosted by the sun, since it's a normal type attack. Going by that, HP Fire is slightly stronger. But I'll look it up :)

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's just a small error but you should have 240 Speed EVs on Missy to make up for the IV drop from HP Fighting instead of 236. Dunno if that was a description error or an actual error in the team.

Just a nitpick but I'm almost certain Weather Ball's BP becomes 100 under any weather as well as changing type, which is then boosted to 150 effectively if used under Rain or Sun - making it significantly more powerful than HP Fire.

Not really. Why would you even be attempting to sweep while you know your opponent has a Snover on their team? Weather Ball is much, much better. 105 VS 150 is a huge difference.

HP Fire is more useful for Snover switch-ins, but the added power of 150 is still so much of a big difference when you need the power.

Moo

Professor
Well, Bellsprout is the only poke that can take a toxic on the team, so sometimes I need to bring it in. Also I like to bring my sun sweepers out to keep the pressure on. :p
There first instinct when they see Bellsprout will be to bring out snover to get rid of the sun, and HP fire is such an awesome bitch slap when they do.

Sorry for my language because I'm not a native speaker.
I would change HP fire to HP Fighting and Sludgebomb to Physic on Exeggcute. Than you have awesome coverage and your'e not walled by Fire Pokemon.
AND NEVER USE SOLARBEAM because of weather changers.

I don't know but can ScarfDour outspeeds you're Chlorophyll sweepers. Because he's a huge threat because grass resistance and Flash Fire. Than he can spam flamethrowers with a boost of 100% if he comes in a fire move. Otherwise he has 50%.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
If you want to hit snover switch ins why not run sludge bomb? It gets stab and steels can be slept.

You're quite ice weak, so adding a fire type sweeper wouldnt hurt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)