Quagsire

So, I was actually considering running Quasire on my team, but I'd like users' opinion on him; how successful is Quagsire in general on a specific team? Does it need minimal support or just something beyond that?

I'm intrigued by Unaware and the fact that Quagsire's near unkillable with Stockpile (especially when Kefka posted it on that Reuniclus thread).
I was surprised myself how he makes CM Reuniclus cry.
I mean,he can't really KILL him,but he can easily PP stall Reuniclus to death.
After 3 Stockpiles,only Grass attacks can easily kill him,and even then,only Leaf Storm can truly OHKO IIRC.

Quagsire's best selling point,is the surprise factor.
Opponent: lolquagsire. ima just boost up to +6 and rape his team since that thing can't touch me.

And then they find out they have to kill a +3/+3 Quagsire from just neutral hits without any possible attack boosts >.>

One of Quagsire's biggest selling points is that the opponent will often view Quagsire as set up fodder. Thus, Encore is a fantastic move and should /always/ be ran on Quagsire.

Toxic is Quagsire's biggest nemesis.

I've been using Quagsire as my physical wall since gen4, and with unaware it's just incredible. It counters every single physical attacker without a grass attack, and his synergy with Togekiss is amazing. He counters ANY swords dancer and ANY dragon dancer post setup. he's probably the best Blaziken counter in the game, can take down Garchomp after a swords dance and laughs in the face of scarfed variants, and I mean the list goes on; DD Gyrados, DDtar, DD Ononokusu, Swords Dance Scizor, Agiligross...

it's insane the amount of major threats who are completely neutered by Quaggy.

One of Quagsire's biggest selling points is that the opponent will often view Quagsire as set up fodder. Thus, Encore is a fantastic move and should /always/ be ran on Quagsire.

Toxic is Quagsire's biggest nemesis.
He also suffers from 4 move-slot syndrome or 4MSS :P
I wish I could run: Boil Over/EQ/Toxic/Curse/Stockpile/Encore

Thinking of running Encore over EQ...

I run Earthquake, Toxic, Encore and Recover and that does me fine to be honest. I don't rate boil over because Quaggy loves taking physical hits and doesn't need help doing so, and to be honest his SpA is so pitiful that you'll end up burning something you'll wish you'd toxiced and that'll the grand sum of your achievement. Run a physical move, either EQ or waterfall if you don't want to be completely walled by skarm (though you will be anyway) and crobat. I still like EQ over waterfall because it deals with the steels and poisons who'll eat a toxic.

I run Earthquake, Toxic, Encore and Recover and that does me fine to be honest. I don't rate boil over because Quaggy loves taking physical hits and doesn't need help doing so, and to be honest his SpA is so pitiful that you'll end up burning something you'll wish you'd toxiced and that'll the grand sum of your achievement. Run a physical move, either EQ or waterfall if you don't want to be completely walled by skarm (though you will be anyway) and crobat. I still like EQ over waterfall because it deals with the steels and poisons who'll eat a toxic.
Thinking of using:

-Waterfall
-Stockpile
-Encore
-Recover

Earthquake is generally a better option, to hit the steels that are immune to toxic.

You're generally going to be spamming Toxic a lot more than your attack move anyway.

Earthquake is generally a better option, to hit the steels that are immune to toxic.

You're generally going to be spamming Toxic a lot more than your attack move anyway.
Ya,but I'd like to hit levitators and more specifically,Balloon Heatran,who gives me team trouble.

Nah, I disagree, the only steel that matters that resists water is Nattorei(No, Empoleon doesn't count, he's not used enough for it to matter, and Dialga is uber), and you don't want to stay in Nattorei anyway, since he will ruin your day with leech seed and STAB power whip. Rather use waterfall to still hit most steels, but also hit Skarmory and flying types.

In the end, the most used steels are neutral to earthquake anyway, or are either using balloons or take SE damage from water anyway.
Waterfall is, imo, definitely the better attack in this particular situation.

Also, it has more PP, meaning you can stall longer if necessary, though that's not a major reason to use it over eq.

I've been using Unaware Quagsire and it is so good it's ridiculous.

Quagsire@Leftovers
Bold
Unaware
128 HP 252 Defense 128 SpD
~Encore
~Recover
~Toxic
~Scald

And he comes with a derpy smile in its face, inToxicating and Recovering to slowly eat the soul of half of the metagame, Scalding things that are immune to his gentle poisonous hug. He's happy like an Unaware gentle derp when he Encores the failed performance of its opponent.

BEST Quag set:

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Counter
- Hail/Waterfall/Earthquake/Protect
- Toxic
- Recover

Counter will take care of ANY physical attacker.

Hail to stop weather people, protect to stall, or attacking move for non-physical people

Toxic to kill things

Recover to heal

Quag ends up being the start of my team in many battles with this set.

^ such a surprise factor with hail

Quagsire used Hail

Opponent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqS4A1kVKY

And counter would just destroy Natt. I'm not sure how much a Power Whip does but I'm guessing Quag would dish back over 75% with Counter.

I love that set now.

Also, couldn't you run Water Absorb to surprise your opponent even more, cause they'll be like "oh yeah it has Unaware"?

*Water type* used Waterfall

Quagsire's Water Absorb absorbed the attack!

Same results as before.

^ such a surprise factor with hail

Quagsire used Hail

Opponent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqS4A1kVKY

And counter would just destroy Natt. I'm not sure how much a Power Whip does but I'm guessing Quag would dish back over 75% with Counter.

I love that set now.

Also, couldn't you run Water Absorb to surprise your opponent even more, cause they'll be like "oh yeah it has Unaware"?

*Water type* used Waterfall

Quagsire's Water Absorb absorbed the attack!

Same results as before.
The whole point of quag in the first place is unaware. Otherwise wobb does this better. Wihtout unaware, you won't survive a +6 dragon claw... or a +2 for that matter.

Quag won't be 3hkod by grass knot

natt usually won't ko

brelloom is the only one to trouble it... and special attackers behind a sub

Haze can be used there too for special attackers so the rest of your team can deal with them, not just quag

Omg it sucks that Ice Punch is illegal with Unaware. Once 5th gen move tutors are released, I'm assuming this combo will be available? Thoughts on the release date as well?

hmmmm... for a curse, waterfall, earthquake, recover unaware Quagsire... what should it's EV's be in UU? I'm currently using 252 HP / 56 Def/ 200 SpD and a careful nature. but it just can't get a curese in against physical attackers... I would assume it can at least survive one sludge wave from LO Nidoking with 252 Hp / 252 Def/ 4 SpD. but I'm just kinda confused as to what it's ev's should be

I already have Chansey as my special wall so... I can switch her in against special attackers. so should I run 252 Hp / 252 Def/ 4 SpD and an impish nature?

Pretty much what I'm saying is, what's the best EV's and nature for unaware curse sire?

Who's done the calcs for Ferrothorn vs Quagsire? I'm coming up with Power Whip doing 100.5% - 118.8% from an uninvested Ferrothorn to a fully invested Quagsire. It doesn't stand a chance without a Rindo Berry :P

truthfully, 252 hp/252 def is best for a curse set. particularly with all the grass types running around in UU, investing in spdef is only good to protect against neutral hits if you aren't boosting your spdef via Stockpile, and turning every physical attacker in UU into setup bait is a good thing.

Lol I used this in random matchup and forgot that I had EV'd it but not leveled it to past 50. So it was level 34 against level 50s and i swept their whole team.

Apart from Toxic I find that Specs/Band users can really screw Quagsire so I find Knock Off/Thief useful. Stuff like Scizor are far less dangerous without their Choice items.

Stockpile Quagsire is just begging to be hit by a critical and can't do anything offensively. Curse Quagsire seems much more viable in my opinion

Set Name: RestTalk
255 HP / 255 Def
Held item: Rindo Berry
Nature: Impish

-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Toxic
-Bulldoze

This set is not only a RestTalk, it's also a Bulky Water. Whenever your HP goes down low from a Grass-type move, you can use Rest and then Sleep Talk for two options. You can use Toxic, the typical status move that many people want bulkys to normally know, and Bulldoze, as a typical STAB attack moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)