Smeargle's Studio: 'To do' list

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Well, that's where my system would come in. It wouldn't need to be constantly updated once it has been fully created. The artists would only be able to submit x amount of works of art (their favorites) and then have to leave it as is until they make an absolutely extroardinary piece that absolutely has to be in the museum.

As for new artists, (of which we don't get very many as pointed out by Chou), their works would be submitted whenever the moderator of the Museum (preferably moi) has time to update it.

It wouldn't be something where everybody says "HEY THIS PIECE IS AMAZING IT HAS TO GO IN THE MUSEUM BLARGGGG". No, the museum will only be updated at the artist's request. It's an appreciation thread, not a SPAM THIS IS AWESOME thread.

Also, with all of the old threads cleared out, our necro-posting problem is completely solved.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, that's where my system would come in. It wouldn't need to be constantly updated once it has been fully created. The artists would only be able to submit x amount of works of art (their favorites) and then have to leave it as is until they make an absolutely extroardinary piece that absolutely has to be in the museum.

Most pieces are better than their predecessor, and the artists will want to showcase their best work. I think many of the posts will just be "replace one of my pieces with this, my new one:" which is just as much of a problem.

As for new artists, (of which we don't get very many as pointed out by Chou), their works would be submitted whenever the moderator of the Museum (preferably moi) has time to update it.

We get a decent amount of new blood. I'm not sure what you mean by "submitted" here.

It wouldn't be something where everybody says "HEY THIS PIECE IS AMAZING IT HAS TO GO IN THE MUSEUM BLARGGGG". No, the museum will only be updated at the artist's request. It's an appreciation thread, not a SPAM THIS IS AWESOME thread.

Those types of posts will crop up. I just hope that the rules will be enforced.

Also, with all of the old threads cleared out, our necro-posting problem is completely solved.

When does a thread become old? This can't really be defined. If there is a limit on how many pieces can be showcased then doesn't that mean that a lot of classic work will be lost? I'm thinking of artists such as Lorak who did a lot of work - much more than a limit of five pieces of however many.
I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here, but to work I think this would have to be very smoothly run and have very few errors in design.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Well there's two parts to the first one. We would only put a limit at first so that not all of the artist's pieces end up in the museum, hence they can only had x pieces. From there, they can add, and won't have to replace any, only those that they feel are really good and worthy of the museum. It's something that would only be updated under extenuating circumstances.

We do get a few new artists every once in a while, but not so often that it would be impossible to keep up with the flood of new people. Plus, they have to be good artists, like maestro. They can't just be spriters, or use just paint (unless it's really good). Remember, the idea is that it's a museum showcasing the best works of each artist, not something that's going to showcase every spriter ever. So yes, it's going to be highly subjective. I mean submitted as in added to the museum.

As for those posts, they will be squashed and terminated like the annoying bugs they are. Remember, people can't post in the Museum thread. If an artist gets a huge amount of spam, people will get warnings accordingly.

I was actually just thinking of clearing out old, locked threads, or old threads without anything in the OP (of which a few do exist), really. Old threads that aren't locked will stay.

Precipice

Thats bull.
is an Artist Alumnus
I have some ideas, I'm sorry I'll have to put them into quick and simple words- I'm in the middle of revising for mid-terms and time is something I've been lacking recently ^^;

Firstly- Smeargles Studio needs more recognition within the issues of the smog. For the most part we recieve very little input into articles, apart from our art being in display but hardly anyone except the artists really takes a good look at the art, I've asked people I knwo and they all admit their inital response is "cool" but they quickly move on as they're more interested in reading the actual article.

Secondly- We could try and create a collaborative community piece of artwork, possibly a Pokélandscape, where everyone draws a character which is infused into a background image (again drawn by an artist) This would be a rather large project so we wouldn't be able to do it on a monthly basis, but I reckon its still doable.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
can we unsticky the pokemon retype thread and the mac hall of fame thread? the mac hall of fame hasn't been updated or active in like forever and it's pretty depressing :(

Umm, maybe we could do something like an art tutoring program? Possibly one for spriting and one for general art (i.e. drawings and paintings). On that same note, individual tutors could be voted by the general populace, and by higher-up people if that should be the case (i.e. PM applications to MAC / WSC director for tutoring). Then they could spend the next week or so tutoring them so they get the hand of their desired medium.

Kinda like Battling 101, but for art.

Again, this isn't verry refined, more of a brainstorm, anyone can add on if they want to.

Also - maybe there could be a section of the Smog devoted purely to art? i.e. a few articles filled with art written by notable artists on site.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Umm, maybe we could do something like an art tutoring program? Possibly one for spriting and one for general art (i.e. drawings and paintings). On that same note, individual tutors could be voted by the general populace, and by higher-up people if that should be the case (i.e. PM applications to MAC / WSC director for tutoring). Then they could spend the next week or so tutoring them so they get the hand of their desired medium.

Kinda like Battling 101, but for art.

Again, this isn't verry refined, more of a brainstorm, anyone can add on if they want to.

Also - maybe there could be a section of the Smog devoted purely to art? i.e. a few articles filled with art written by notable artists on site.
Art tutoring isn't a stellar idea in my opinion. When it comes to art I believe it's best to develop your own style, which isn't exactly fostered by something like art tutoring. Everyone has a different creative process and I believe it's nigh impossible to teach something like this. Besides, many of the better artists here are inactive most of the time and have a lot of other stuff on their plates, tutoring is very time-consuming and isn't something the majority of us can handle. If you're interested in the technical aspects, why not just look up some tutorials on Youtube?

As for The Smog, there's already a recurring Judge A Pokemon Design Panel, and Alch has brought out articles like Spriting Basics, WSC Highlights, MAC Highlights, and What is Art? I don't know what else you guys want to see?

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
can we unsticky the pokemon retype thread and the mac hall of fame thread? the mac hall of fame hasn't been updated or active in like forever and it's pretty depressing :(
Unstuck Retype thread, stickied Writing thread. Kept the MAC Hall of Fame because it's easy to update and it will be continued soon (like the beginning of March).

I was thinking that the prefixes that UT and other forums have would be helpful. If someone wants to make it clear that they wrote a story or a few poems, they just mark it with (writing) or if it's their art thread, then they mark it with (visual), etc.

I don't think that there's enough diversity (it's really just art threads and projects) in the studio atm, but if literature and music get added, then I think it would organize the studio better.

Just my thoughts.

Alright I'm gonna pester Bucky about getting the Monthly Art Contest back up and running again. It pretty much died out due to lack of participation from both artists and judges (I'm not gonna lie; I'm part of the offending party here). We'll probably just start up from Month Nine in March and pretend that the other Month Nine (which was new years themed IIRC) just never happened (we didn't get around to judging it because there were like 4 entries or something).

icepick

she brings the rain
is a Top Artist Alumnus
How about a Pokemon battle thread, where the first person draws a Pokemon, the next person draws a new Pokemon killing the previous Pokemon, etc.

How about a Pokemon battle thread, where the first person draws a Pokemon, the next person draws a new Pokemon killing the previous Pokemon, etc.
That's a cool idea. Lol, I can see someone drawing a Togepi raping after someone draws an Arceus.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unsticking this now. Pretty much all of the points have either been completed or are being handled. Good job guys!

The Pokemon battle thread sounds great, but let's not make it a sticky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)