Nuzlocke Challenge

Updated Nuzlocke Adventures of Quid VI

Much has happened since the last update. I did some grinding and left for Dewford. There, I caught Machiavelli the Makuhita and added him to my team. I also fished up Tariah the Tentacool, who was boxed. I did some grinding, evolving Theodore along the way, and then Challenged the gym. Brawly was ridiculously easy, and was swept by Reagan, though I had to sacrifice my Shroomish in order to get Reagan healed up. Off to Slateport.

I proceeded through the Magma museum encounter, the trick master, and nearby trainers, leveling up Machiavelli the whole time. I caught Ellen the Elektrike, but wasn't feeling it, so she was boxed. I caught Rawsberg the Roserade, and battled through the trainers on both sides of Mauville. I also battled the Winstrates with relatively few problems, and did some general grinding, evolving Reagan, Zachariah, and Machiavelli. I decided to head back to Petalburg and fish myself up Minerva the Magikarp, who was promptly given the experience share.

I placed Niniag in the daycare, along with Tariah. I decided that Niniag will be mostly useless, but Norman frightens me, and I want that Shedinja to wall him. Tariah is in there as a replacement water type in case Minerva dies.

I battled through the gym, and encountered no problems until Wattson. I attempted to weaken his Magnemite and Voltorb without Machiavelli, but nobody could do much damage to Magnemite, not even Zachariah with rock smash, And most of my team was severely weakened. However, my caution proved unfounded, because Machiavelli came in and did work. He swept through all three Pokemon with great ease.

So there it is, I am about to proceed towards Flannery and the volcano encounter, but my team composition is unstable, I will likely be switching it around very soon.

Also, I am not sure what to do with revives. I believe they cheapen the experience, and this run has been going better than usual, so I don't think I really need to easy-mode it. I'm thinking I'll only use revives if a very large portion of my team is wiped out. More of a team saving device than an individual saving item.

The Team:
Theodore the Grovyle
Lvl 20, Hasty, Male
Pursuit/Leer/Absorb/Quick Attack
Theodore hasn't been doing too hot. His moves are simply too weak for him to make much of an impact. However, I believe with an improved moveset, he will become much more valuable.

Machiaveli the Hariyama
Lvl 24, Lax, Male
Fake Out/ Vital Throw/Sand-Attack/Arm Thrust
Machiavelli is easily my MVP. With 105 HP, 70 attack, and respectable defenses, he can take a huge hit and hit back even harder. Instrumental in defeating Wattson, and I suspect he will be vital to defeating Flannery.

Reagan the Kirlia
Lvl 20, Bold, Male
Growl/Confusion/Double Team/Teleport
Reagan is in about the same situation as Theodore, with good stats and a terrible moveset. However, I expect Reagan to be a wonderful Special Attacker later in the game. Hopefully his pathetic defenses won't be too crippling.

Zachariah the Linnone
Lvl 20, Serious, Male
Sand-Attack/Rock Smash/Tail-Whip/Headbutt
I am unsure how I feel about Zachariah. He is great right now, with respectable stats and an alright moveset. Headbutt and his speed are wonderful, as are the items he picks up. He has already given me multiple rare candies and revives. We'll have to see, but I suspect his utility will drop later in the game.

Minerva the Magikarp
Lvl 15, Serious, Female
Splash/Tackle
The newest member, Minerva will soon evolve into the mighty Gyarados.

The Box:
Daycare: Niniag the Nincada
Daycare: Tariah the Tentacool
Rawsberg the Roselia
Welga the Whismur
Ellen the Electrike

Deceased:
Whitney the Wurmple, lvl 4, Sacrificed to an early game Taillow.
Sylvester the Shroomish, lvl 6, Sacrificed to Brawly to heal Reagan.

I have been finding myself an odd amount of spare time lately. So, I have decided to join in on doing Nuzlocke challenges. I tried one on Emerald a long while ago and died at around Winona. This time I feel like kicking it old school, so prepare yourselves for...

Skwog's Blue Version Nuzlocke Super Hard Challenge!

Rules:
May only catch the first Pokemon I see upon entering a route.
When a Pokemon faints, it is dead. No revives, no nothing. Dead.
No antidotes or potions.
May only purchase five Pokeballs per Pokemart. These are the only Pokeballs I'm allowed to use, bar the ones I find while adventuring.
White out means game over, even if there are extra Pokemon in my box.

I'll post my first update sometime tonight. Heck, I'm half tempted to do comic updates since I have a nifty tablet that I rarely use anymore.

@Zoso:

Using Shedinja to wall Norman may be a good idea, but be careful because his Vigoroth knows Faint Attack, which will shoot you down! Take it out before sending in Sheddy. :)

good luck skwog you'll need it if you're not using antidotes...
That's the fun part ;D
I need something to spice up Pokemon, especially since I've been playing it for almost fourteen years. I better hope I get a Nidoran from that one route early on, or get extremely lucky and get a Weedle despite playing on Blue.
Either way, I'll have fun :)

@ Carbon:
Thanks, I almost forgot about that. No worries, Machiavelli should be able to handle Vigoroth, along with cleaning up either Slaking.

Carbon's Emerald Nuzlocke Update 7 (Brendan Battle 3, Winona, Brendan Battle 4)

After getting J Fly back and putting Tropius away in the box, I proceeded to fight Brendan once more. Minun once again crushed his Pelipper and Lombre, while Spoink used Psybeam to 2HKO Combusken. An easy fight! :)

Proceeded to Fortree, where I ground for just a few minutes before heading on to Route 120 to get the Devon Scope. Caught a female Mightyena named Sweetling here, who will be a good replacement for STAB Dark type moves.

Proceeded to defeat the Kecleon, who I avoided catching because I wasn't sure if that would break the one pokemon per route rule. Then I went to fight Winona. Her Gym puzzles were harder for me to remember how to do than her trainers were ._.

She leads with Swablu, who is easily struck by a Thunderbolt from Minun. She goes straight to Altaria next, and I know that this monster not only is neutral to Electric-moves thanks to its Dragon typing, but also carries Earthquake! Bitch. I switch to Gyarados, who 3HKOs with Dragon Rage. Minun cleans up the rest of her team pretty easily, but I let Numel take down Tropius just for fun. Ember 3HKOs.

I move on to finish Route 120, and find a Revive. And none to soon, either, because about ten minutes later Trapinch takes a Selfdestruct to the face from a Koffing. =/ Revive used, and Trapinch is back up. Proceeded on to Lilycove, where just outside I found another Revive. Awesome! :) Just outside of Lilycove, Luccia the Spoink hits 32 and evolves to Grumpig!

Brendan's final battle with me was as easy as the rest. He leads with Tropius, who was dispatched by Numel. Unfortunately, Poshul just barely misses the EXP needed to get to level 33 and evolve. Queen Zeal sweeps up his Pelipper and Ludicolo with ease, and then my newly-evolved Grumpig takes out his Combusken.

Finally, I went to the move deleter's house. I took Rock Smash off of Grovyle, since I put it on Trapinch earlier, and taught him Aerial Ace. And I was worried about not having a flying move. Anyway, I'll probably grind a little bit more before heading to the Aqua Hideout. Hope you guys enjoyed this update!

The Team:
SwdRvlnLht the Gyarados, level 33.
Surf / Bite / Secret Power / Dragon Rage

Queen Zeal the Minun, level 33.
Return / Encore / Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt

Poshul the Numel, level 32.
Ember / Magnitude / Double Team / Stength

Cuff the Trapinch, level 32.
Bite / Facade / Rock Smash / Sand Tomb

Luccia the Grumpig, level 33.
Psybeam / Confuse Ray / Shock Wave / Psych Up

J Fly the Grovyle, level 33.
Leaf Blade / Quick Attack / Aerial Ace / Pursuit

The Box:

Lolumad the Whismur, level 7
FntasticFox the Zigzagoon, level 4
Starky the Nuzleaf, level 23
Swan Song the Koffing, level 16
Nofirth the Skitty, level 24
Lollygag the Spinda, level 16
Technical the Voltorb, level 22
Monstro the Tentacool, level 25
Hilt the Tropius, level 28
Dancella the Castform, level 25
Sweetling the Mightyena, level 25

The Graveyard:
Imune2Crit the Ralts, level 16. Struck down by a wild Focus Punch in Brawly's Gym. Will be missed dearly. RIP.

Suicoon the Dustox, level 27. Defeated by Norman's Slaking. RIP.

Skates the Aron, level 27. The victim of an unfortunate crit from a Slugma. RIP.

A Future Sight:

Tate & Liza: J Fly and Gyarados will probably serve the best here.
Juan: Queen Zeal and Sceptile will do well here.

Sidney: Will probably just end up using hard-hitting to muscle my way through.
Phoebe: The only one I'm unsure on; should I bring in Mightyena? Cuff knows Dark-type moves, but doesn't get STAB.
Glacia: Numel/Cameupt. Minun for Sealeo/Walrein.
Drake: Cuff takes this, I guess.
Wallace: Trolled by Queen Zeal and J Fly.

We gave our Voltorb the same name...lol

And evolve it when you think it doesn't learn any more good moves by level up. Check serebii if you don't know what moves it'll miss out on.
the only one notable i guess is crunch but i don't know if i really need that or should i use the defenses of nidoqueen now to make sure it doesn't get haxed. on the other hand it's ground typing sort of makes it less usable for the grass gym so i guess before i go cycling road because there's more poison there?

Ugh so much for update happening tonight, I only just got back to the point where I was when I lost the original update, and I'm annoyed because it's not nearly as good as it was when I first typed it :/ I'll keep working on it, but I still have essentially the entire Red battle to do (I'm at Pikachu's death, meaning I still have 5 Pokemon left to do), so it's likely it won't be up till tomorrow.

Carbon's Emerald Nuzlocke Update 7.5 (Mt. Pyre, Magma Hideout, Aqua Hideout)

Another intermediate update because I've been playing too much, and also not a lot happened here besides battles. After defeating Brendan, I went and evolved Numel into Camerupt, taught it Rock Slide, and then went to the Game Corner, traded most of my money for Coins, and bought Flamethrower and Ice Beam. Taught Flamethrower to Poshul, debating teaching Ice Beam to Gyarados or waiting to see what happens in the following gym battles.

Moved on to Mt. Pyre, where I tackled the inside of the building first. Its many trainers netted me a lot of nice experience, and also Shadow Ball, which I taught to Grumpig. During this exciting adventure, Cuff the Trapinch evolved into a Vibrava and learned Dragonbreath. I also caught Mr. Lurk, the Shuppet, here. Outside I quickly dispatched of the Aqua grunts and was given the Magma Emblem by the kind old lady. Off to the Jagged Pass!

Inside the Magma Hideout, the Grunts were pretty lame. Most of them had Poochyena. Booooring. I caught a Torkoal here! His name is Square. He'll be useful incase I get Camerupt killed somehow. X_X Maxie was exciting though! I had Grovyle lead off against Mightyena because he was close to level 36 and I knew Leaf Blade could 2HKO. Crobat was taken care of by Queen Zeal, and Camerupt fell to Gyarados. After the battle, Grovyle evolved! :)

I activated the Submarine escape in Slateport, and then went around grinding money off of the repeatable Gabby and Ty battles around the Mauville/Fortree area. It netted Poshul and Cuff lots of levels, which was good because they're less usable against Team Aqua members, which is where we were headed next.

Just outside of Lilycove, I entered the Aqua Hideout. I rampaged through the Grunts, most of which attacked me in twos. I also went and got the Master Ball! One of the fake balls was an Electrode, which promptly exploded in J Fly's face, but he survived with around 20 HP. Good show! The Aqua Admin Matt (while ripped) was a pushover too, with Minun swiftly crushing his Mightyena and Golbat. Unfortunately, Archie escaped. I headed back to Lilycove and that's where I am now!

The Team:
SwdRvlnLht the Gyarados, level 37.
Surf / Bite / Secret Power / Dragon Rage

Queen Zeal the Minun, level 37.

Poshul the Camerupt, level 39.
Flamethrower / Earthquake / Rock Slide / Stength

Cuff the Vibrava, level 38.
Crunch / Facade / Rock Smash / Dragonbreath

Luccia the Grumpig, level 37.
Psychic / Confuse Ray / Shock Wave / Shadow Ball

J Fly the Scptile, level 37.
Leaf Blade / Quick Attack / Aerial Ace / Pursuit

The Box:

Monstro the Tentacool, level 25
Mr. Lurk the Shuppet, level 27
Square the Torkoal, level 30

The Graveyard:
Imune2Crit the Ralts, level 16. Struck down by a wild Focus Punch in Brawly's Gym. Will be missed dearly. RIP.

Skates the Aron, level 27. The victim of an unfortunate crit from a Slugma. RIP.

A Future Sight:

Tate & Liza: J Fly and Gyarados will probably serve the best here.
Juan: Queen Zeal and Sceptile will do well here.

Phoebe: The only one I'm unsure on; should I bring in Mightyena? Cuff knows Dark-type moves, but doesn't get STAB.

Also! Can I get some more input? Should I teach Gyarados Ice Beam in order to help with Drake? The reason I'm hesitant to is because his Sp. Atk stat is pretty low... I am using him for Surf though, which isn't doing bad for itself. I'm going to be replacing Bite with Dive soon, and then Waterfall will replace Dive, but after I get to the Elite 4 I won't need that move any more and I can delete it for Ice Beam.

The same applies to Vibrava and Rock Smash. I don't mind keeping Strength on Camerupt because it's a strong move, but later on once I reach the Elite 4, should I teach Flygon Giga Drain so that he can heal himself a little? I dunno; I don't like TMs going to waste if they have viability over other moves on the pokemon's movepool.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not much to update from yesterday. Took down Norman who`s trainers were exponentially more annoying than he was while Exp.Sharing Dreidel the Baltoy. After the battle I got the Good Rod and caught Clobber the Corphish on Rt 117 where I realized I had yet to catch anything.

I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to name Corphish. At first I was thinking of something to do with claws but that sounded lame. Then I thought that Crawdaunt was a lobster but couldn`t think how to integrate that. athe boom, clobber has the sounds of claw and lobster and sounds pretty good too.

well got Fistin' the hitmochan from the fighting dojo, got him mainly because the level i get him at fits in my team nicely (25-30), his coverage with the elemental punches (i took fire and ice, too bad they're special :() and grass gym is next. so i will train him with the trainers along with cheppers. news that my magikarp has died (at level 19 no less) so i've given up training my weaker guys. my team now consists of :

Lilypad the Wartortle lvl31
Cheppers the Pidgeotto lvl32
Nidobrah the Nidorina lvl27
Fistin' the Hitmochan lvl26
MoleMole the Dugtrio lvl26
Nuxedl the Jolteon lvl25

EDIT: Added Ragonned the Dratini to my team (lvl24 bold) and ANOREXIa the Gastly (lvl15) not sure if i should use gastly since i don't think i can trade it to evolve to the ultimate gengar. should i anyways?

I've recently started a HG Nuzlocke run. Right now I'm in Goldenrod

My team is:
Florence, the Sassy lv 18 Quilava
Headbutt
Quick Attack
SmokeScreen
Ember

Alexia the Quiet lv 17 Ratatta
Hyper Fang
Tail Whip
Quick Attack
Bite

Stephan the Calm Lv 17 Bellsprout
Vine Whip
Cut
PoisinPowder
Sleep Powder

Stacy the Sassy Lv 11 Zubat
Leech Life
Supersonic
Astonish

Muscle the Lonely Lv 10 Machop (traded)
Low Kick
Leer
Focus Energy
Karate Chop

Calvin the Calm Lv 5 Metapod (death fodder)
Harden

Dead:
Jeremy the Timid Lv 10 Togepi
Wess the Rash Lv 6 Hoppip

Holy Crap! I just finished my first Nuzlocke on Emerald! Yay!

I had alot of casualties throughout my journey. Especially against that jerk Wallace. 5 out of 6 passed away with only my Magneton surviving after a long stall war with his Milotic and alot of Full Restores :( Anyways, I win. With just Buzzer the Magneton lvl 52. Whata champ.

Final Team: Buzzer the Magneton 52
Pecksley the Blazekien 51
FlufMcPuf the Altaria 50
Jetta the Sharpedo 51
Jelli the Tentacruel 50
Kleenex 2 the Bannett 50

May they all rest in peace. Along with Gulfy the Wingull 12, Lars the Ralts 7, Flappsies the Taillow 19, Whiffle the Whismur 12, Edward the Zubat 7, Munch the Trapinch 23, Scrub the Gloom 28, Zubat the Zubat 17, Kleenex the Shuppet 27, and Jet the Sharpedo 46. Im a bad trainer...

Oh and imagine my luck. Shiny Hariyama while training in Victory Road. Not my first pokemon, but it was shiny so whatever. I caught it. I didn't use it though so it doesn't matter right? Am I a bad person?

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have started my leaf green challenge :)
I haven't had too many troubles so far and no casualties. I am currently at the beginning of Mt Moon. with:
Vinyl the Ivysaur, lvl 16
Bozo the Mankey, lvl 16
Blink the Butterfree, lvl 14
Unfortunately, all my pokemon are weak to flying, so my rival's pidgeotto may be hard. However Mankey does know rock tomb. I wanted a Geodude in Mt moon but instead got a lvl 7 zubat. I also knocked out a pidgey on the route before mt moon due to a crit so i couldn't catch it, and on route 2 I accidently killed a Ratata. Obviously I'm crap at catching pokemon :(

EDIT: What is everyone's opinions on items? Do you ban items? If so, which ones do you ban. Do you only use items that are bought or do you use any?

I'm going to update this with a short story of my leaf green nuzlocke. It won't be an interesting story, but I just feel it necessary to tell my story.

Blue Version Hard Nuzlocke

Skwog's Blue Version Nuzlocke Super Hard Challenge!

Rules:
May only catch the first Pokemon I see upon entering a route.
When a Pokemon faints, it is dead. No revives, no nothing. Dead.
No antidotes or potions.
May only purchase five Pokeballs per Pokemart. These are the only Pokeballs I'm allowed to use, bar the ones I find while adventuring.
White out means game over, even if there are extra Pokemon in my box.

Preface:
Kid, the world out there, it's rough. There's evil all over the place.
Wild Pokemon will attack you at random, and never hold back. Trainers will throw down with you, and it is impossible to run away.
Groups are banning together, committing crimes of theft and slaughter. The worst of them are Team Rocket.
Worse of all, there is an epidemic sweeping the nation. What is it, you ask? Poison. There is no cure, only death. Your only chance of survival is to rush to a Pokemon Center, and even then your hopes are low.
Crips and Bloods? Nah, those guys are wimps compared to the violence in this world.
Charizard and Blastoise, now those are the real gangsters.
Your only hope is in numbers, but kid, remember this:
it is either kill, or be killed.

Chapter 1:
The Rival​

So much chaos in this world. So much violence. All around me I witness death. My father has been gone for years, and nobody knows where he went off to. I am the man of the house but today I shall join the world of violence, with the hopes of putting an end to it. Today, I am going to become a Pokemon Trainer.

"Skwog, be careful out there."
"Don't worry about me, Mom. You have bigger issues to take care of."

My mother is suffering. She is infected. She is poisoned, and there are no antidotes left in the world. It is only a matter of time before she perishes.

The door closes behind me, and I take a look around the town. Pallet Town remained virtually untouched from the violence of the world, and was considered a safe haven from the massacres. The only thing I had to worry about was my neighbor, my rival. It seems as if he always was out to get me, even since we were kids.

As I begin to head north out of Pallet Town, I can see the tall grass growing closer. We were always told to stay out of the tall grass. Wild Pokemon lived there. I had to take a risk though. I needed to dive head first into the world. Too long had I been living in the safety of Pallet Town.

"Skwog! Wait up! It is too dangerous out there!"
Who was that?
Behind me, an old man was approaching. It was Professor Oak, a researcher attempting to mediate the violence in the world.
"Come with me to my lab. I will give you a Pokemon."

The kind, old geezer brought me to his lab. Once inside, we were greeted by none other than my rival.
"Blue, I'm glad you made it. Skwog, Blue, I have a request of you two. I wish for you to each take a Pokemon, to venture into the world, and to see hands on the evil that is spreading. You are almost grown men, and you will need to know how to fend for yourselves."

I look to the right, seeing a table with three Pokeballs. Professor Oak nods at me, telling me I am able to select my Pokemon first.
"This one," I say, picking up the Pokeball in the center. "Squirtle, you and me will travel together."

"Ha! Fine then. I want this one." Blue chose a Bulbasaur, knowing he had an advantage over me.

"Well, Squirtle, you deserve a name." I take a moment to look over my Pokemon, and the perfect name came to mind. "Pablo."

With a shrug I start to head out of the lab, but hear Blue yelling at me from behind. "Hey, Skwog, let's say you and me throw down. Right here, right now."
"Blue, no, stop it!" Professor Oak shouted, but it was too late.
Both of us had already thrown our Pokeballs, our respective partners assuming their positions before us.

It was close, and I thought for a second my Squirtle would not make it. However, an accurately aimed Tackle hit Blue's Bulbasaur, critically damaging my foe. "Hmph, weakling."

We had been battling through Route 1, and my partner's strengths were evident. We would be partners in crime, challenging all trainers we would find on our journey, and adding new members to our crew. After a quick trip through the Route, we entered Viridian City. I decided to stop by the PokeMart and browse its items.

"Hey, you! Come here!" said the cashier. "I have something, but keep it on the down-low. You know Professor Oak? I have some goods for him. Think you can run them to him for me?"
A mission, already? I had only began as a trainer today, and already I was doing the underground work for people. I nod, discretely taking the parcel from the clerk and stashing it in my bag.

Pablo and I rushed back to Pallet Town, avoiding battles at all costs.
"Professor, I have something for you." I pulled out the box, and his eyes opened wide as he quickly snatched the item from me.

"Thank you, Skwog. Please, don't mention this exchange in the future."
Behind me, I can hear footsteps approaching. It was none other than Blue.
"You two, I have a request for you. I want you to go around the land, battling all the Pokemon you find. It will be dangerous, and you will lose many team members, but it is crucial for my research. Take these," Professor Oak explained while handing us two electronic books. "They are Pokedexes. They will record data on Pokemon you encounter. Now go. Go and become champions."

Before setting out from Pallet Town permanently, I decide to stop by the house to say goodbye to Mom. I might never see her again, and it was important for me to spend some time with her. I show her my new partner, Pablo, and together the three of us rest under the same roof one final time before I venture out as a trainer.

Chapter 2:
Allies​

"Hey, kid, remember me from earlier?" The clerk from the PokeMart was whispering quite loudly at me, trying to draw my attention. "Did you deliver the goods?"
I nod, confirming the deed was done.
"Good. You need something? I have lots of underground goods."
"I need Pokeballs."
"Ah, Pokeballs. Five of 'em for $1000 dollars."
"I'll take them."
The clerk slipped me the five spheres, and I put them in my bag.
"Don't say you got them from me."

I needed some more Pokemon on my team. If Pablo were to die, I would die as well. He was my protector from our foes. Though we were new to the world of trainers, we were already on people's bad side. Blue had been spreading word about us, of how there was a new, strong trainer on the loose named 'Skwog.'

I ventured out onto new turf, Route 22, in hopes of finding a new member for my team.
"Pablo, come on out!"
The turtle appeared before me as a foe charged from the grass. It was a Nidoran♀. She was an easy opponent, and after a hit from Pablo she was weak enough to be captured. "Hmph... Wendy, welcome to the crew," I name her as I pick up her Pokeball.

My two Pokemon and I spend some time training. I needed to bring Wendy up closer to Pablo's strengths. That way they were equal in battling ability. During this time, I noticed a romance developing between the two. Well, between one of the two. Wendy appeared to be extremely attracted to Pablo. Perhaps it was his rugged personality. He did not say much, but simply protected her from damage, and retaliated with Bubbles.

Once my Pokemon were adequately trained, I ventured further into the route.
"Fancy seeing you here, Skwog."
Blue.

My rival had found me in the middle of nowhere, and was ready to battle. Little did he know I had a new secret weapon, Wendy.
He sent out his Pidgey, while I sent out Wendy. The two duked it out for a while, exchanging Tackles and Gusts. Wendy hit the sweet spot on the Pidgey, taking it down with a critical hit.

"What? No!" Blue cried out as he watched his partner go down. "No worries, Bulbasaur will deal with you."

"Wendy, return. Come on Pablo, show this guy what you're made of."
Their battle was similar to our first. Bulbasaur growled at Pablo nonstop, attempting to lower the power of the barrage of Tackles. Pablo was resilient, though, and after a long series of tackles, Bulbasaur was taken down for a second time.

"Skwog, you're good, but not good enough. See that building?" Blue said while pointing at a large building down the road. "That's the Pokemon League. Only the toughest of the tough get in. You need some ink, bro. You need some respect to get in. Take on gym leaders, and maybe you'll beat enough to get into the league." With that, Blue left, leaving me in thought.

Ink? As in tattoos? I knew the world was rough, but I was unsure if I could handle being tattooed. Then again, ink was a sign of power, of respect. I could do this. I would take on all of the gym leaders in Kanto, and become the champion. Then I would earn lots of props. A small town boy taking on the world against all odds. That would inspire people to stop violence for sure. Maybe along the way I could find a cure for the poison.

"Come on guys, time to rest at a Pokemon Center," I instruct my team as we head back to Virdian City to rest up before embarking on another branch of our journey.

The Crew​

Pablo the Squirtle Lv. 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Wendy the Nidoran♀ Lv. 9
-Tackle
-Growl
-Scratch​

I'm Nuzlocking Pearl, just restarted my game.

Rules:
-If a Pokemon in your party faints, you must release it.
-Every time you reach a new route, cave, etc., you must catch the very first Pokemon you see, regardless of your current number of party members. The Pokemon may sit within the box for an indeterminate amount of time as a backup.
-If you fail to catch the first Pokemon you see, either via it fleeing, knocking it out, or having no Pokeballs, you may not catch another. Tough shit.
-This means you can not catch a Pokemon in a route you were in before you could catch Pokemon. So no route 1, you were there before you had pokeballs.
-If a town you go to contains a body of water or a gift, Pokemon like Bill’s Eevee in G/S/C/HG/SS, that may be considered a Pokemon of a new area.
-You must nickname your Pokemon so there is some sort of attachment. Each Pokemon is a best friend to you, to see them die is heartbreaking.
-If your entire party faints, they all must be thrown away. If you have a Pokemon left in a box somewhere, you may continue, otherwise you must start your game over.
-You are, under no circumstance, allowed to get a second Pokemon from any given area.
-You may not switch out before the enemy trainer sends in a new Pokemon.
-You are not allowed to use legendaries in battle.
-Potions are allowed, other healing items are not.

I'll post updates as I go along, and when I finish, I'll turn it into a comic. I don't have the patience to do it while I play.

It’s time. After 14 updates, 7 deaths, 16 badges, two defeats of the Elite 4, and 283 days (and a half-typed out update that was lost, RIP :( ), it is time for update #15 of Flamestrike’s HeartGold Nuzlocke Challenge, or more appropriately, the FINAL update!

Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4
Update #5
Update #6
Update #7
Update #8
Update #9
Update #10
Update #11
Update #12
Update #13
Update #14

Brandon stood in front of Lance. It was over. Courtney had ripped through Lance’s legendary Dragons, taking each one down in a single blow. Now he stood before Lance with only one thought in mind as he withdrew Courtney.
He wanted answers.

“Tell me why this challenge isn’t over yet!” Lance didn’t reply. Brandon exploded in anger. He sent out Houston and before Lance could react he was pinned against the wall by the four-armed Pokemon. “I SAID tell me why this challenge isn’t over yet! I’ve beaten 16 gyms and I’ve beaten this Elite 4 and you twice! I deserve to know why my Pokemon are still dying and why this nightmare hasn’t ended yet!”
“I’m sorry Brandon,” came the reply. “I should have been honest with you the first time, but I figured you would stop fighting. I underestimated your love for Pokemon battling. As much as I hate to say it, your challenge doesn’t end with me.” Brandon stared at him, waiting for more, and Lance delivered. “You have to beat the Champion from every region: Kanto, Jotho, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and even faraway Unova. Of course, since you’ve already beaten me you are now the Champion of Jotho, so that’s one less to worry about.” Brandon came to a sudden realization. “Wait, since this Elite 4 is shared between both Kanto and Jotho, doesn’t that also make me Champion of Kanto?”
“Unfortunately, I am only the Champion of Jotho. Most people just want to claim the title of Champion; they don’t care about the title, or even what region it comes from. So when they merged the two groups, they only needed one champion, and I volunteered since the Champion of Kanto has gone away.”
“Gone away to where, exactly?” Lance hesitated, but Brandon pushed the issue. “I need to know Lance. If I need to beat all of these Champions, I need to know where to find them.”
“I promised I wouldn’t tell anyone where he went except in extreme circumstances, but these are pretty extreme circumstances. He trains on Mount Silver, isolating himself from challengers. He’s only had one, in fact, since he became champion.” Brandon wondered who it was, but then it hit him.

Red.

The hero from Kanto three years ago. The guy who beat Team Rocket the first time they appeared. The man who disappeared after becoming champion and defeating a single challenger. One of the greatest trainers to ever battle, with some of the strongest Pokemon ever seen. He had watched both his championship fights, the first against Blue where he won and his defence against Karen, now the final member of the Elite 4. Brandon figured he had missed the fight where Red lost to Lance, but apparently that wasn’t the case. He broke out of his reverie when he realized Lance was waiting for an answer, not to mention that Houston still had him pinned to the wall. He had Houston put Lance down gently. “Thank you Lance, and sorry about my outburst. It’s just been so hard, thinking that I was done only to lose another Pokemon, completely by surprise like that.”
“No, I deserved it. Like I said, I should have been honest with you at first. Come on; let’s get you recorded in the Hall of Fame so you can go continue the challenge.”

*The next day...*

Brandon entered Mount Silver, Jill following close behind. As he climbed the mountain, he thought of those that had already died. First there was Corey, his starter and the one Pokemon he expected to have with him through thick and thin. Next came Nick, dead in the exact same battle. Andrew, Melinda, Sara, Kyle and most recently Anthony, all came after, yet were equally painful. He worried about the upcoming battle, but he knew he couldn’t lose. Not now. Not after so much sacrifice. He would beat this challenge, and he would free his Pokemon, and himself, from this nightmare.
As he reached the summit, he could see a figure in the distance, who he knew had to be Red. He also felt the hail falling, and realized that it would probably give Red an advantage, since Red was prepared for it while he wasn’t. He walked towards the figure, slowly making out the signature red jacket and hat. Before he could issue his challenge, Red spoke to him. “I see you’ve finally come. I’ve been waiting for you ever since Karen told me you beat Lance the first time.”
“Really? I thought you were trying to avoid challengers. If you knew I was coming, why didn’t you go somewhere else?”
“I know you’re doing the challenge. I also know that you have to beat me in order to beat the challenge. And I also know that as the champion of Jotho, if I beat you then I’ll be able to continue my challenge.” Brandon took a few seconds to digest the last sentence, but then the implication sunk in. “You-you’re taking the Nuzlocke challenge too??”
“Yes. I was the first challenger, and at first I was going to do like you, beat a champion from each region and win the challenge. However, before I could leave, I got my first challenger for my champion title-Karen. I never lost a Pokemon, but I came close, and I realized that I couldn’t bear to lose a Pokemon. I got lucky in Kanto, not losing a single one of my Pokemon. I wanted to keep it that way, so I withdrew here, hoping to avoid battling. I thought that as long as I kept training the odd person that did find me wouldn’t stand a chance. Karen came to see me occasionally, but after she found out about the challenge she refused to challenge me again. To compensate for indirectly ruining her chances of becoming champion, I vouched for her to get into the Elite 4. Everything was going fine. But now...”
Brandon waited for him to continue, still trying to understand the implications. “Now you’re here to fight me, after beating 16 gyms, and suffering multiple losses along the way. Yet you’re still pushing forward. You could have stopped like me. Instead you kept going, and even after another loss in Kanto you still continued, rather than giving up. Rather than hiding like me. You went all the way to the Elite 4, and beat them a second time. You are far stronger than I ever could be.” Brandon remembered Karen’s advice, that his motivation would be his strongest weapon, and realized that he would need it now more than ever. Red continued, “But I’m sick of hiding. I have no choice but to fight you if you issue the challenge; it’s my duty as champion. However, if I win, I can continue. And I will. No more hiding. I’ll go to every region and beat every champion.” Brandon interjected. “We’ll have to kill each other’s Pokemon though.”
“Neither of us has a choice. Karen told me what you said about fighting because you love to fight. You can’t honestly believe that you can simply stop battling.”
“I don’t know if I can kill your Pokemon though, not after all the pain I’ve gone through when my Pokemon have died.”
“What else will you do? Yeah, you can go to the other regions, but unless you want this challenge to end, you have to beat the Kanto Champion. And it’ll probably be a while before someone else becomes the champion. Even if you don’t beat me now, you’ll have to do it eventually, and I’m not going anywhere unless I beat the Jotho Champion first.”
“But-“ Red interrupted him. “Also, have you considered what will happen if you didn’t fight? If you hid like me? The only reason you’re stuck taking this challenge is because I didn’t have the guts to see it out. If you don’t continue, someone else will be put through this hell.” Brandon realized that he had no choice. “Alright, let’s do this.” Jill stepped out in front of Brandon, a small berry in her hand. Red pulled out a Pokeball. “Let’s.”

Red sent out his first Pokemon, and as Brandon expected it was his Pikachu. Normally Pikachu is a weak Pokemon, but Brandon knew that Red’s Pikachu was one of the strongest Pokemon in any of the regions. However, he had prepared for this, which was why he led with Jill. Pikachu knew four moves. Two were electric type, which had no effect on Jill, and the third was Quick Attack, which did little more. So there was only the fourth move to worry about... “Pikachu, Iron Tail!” Golem normally takes super effective damage from steel moves, but Jill ate the berry Brandon had given to her before the fight. His mom had been sending him these berries, and at first he had been ignoring them, but he found out that they had a strange property that, when eaten, would allow a Pokemon to better resist a certain type of super effective attack. The one that Jill had was the Babiri Berry, which helped with steel type attacks, and sure enough the Iron Tail glanced off of Jill’s reinforced body. Brandon didn’t hesitate before ordering the counter-attack, only realizing a split-second too late the consequences. “Jill, Earthquake!” Jill slammed the ground, shaking Pikachu and shattering its body while sending it flying. Pikachu landed at Red’s feet, and both trainers knew right away that the battle’s first casualty had occurred.

Neither trainer moved. Red looked stunned as the pain of his first loss hit him. Brandon couldn’t believe what he had done. Red made the first move, withdrawing his Pokemon. “You did what had to be done, nothing more,” he said, voice shaking. “And I’m going to do what I have to do. Go, Lapras!” Red sent out his next Pokemon, and Brandon knew right away that it was going to be tough. Lapras wouldn’t take damage from the hail, and Brandon figured that it probably knew Blizzard to take advantage of the storm. He wanted to go to Houston to hit it with a super-effective Dynamic Punch, but he realized that Blizzard would do far too much damage. So he had to go to the only Pokemon he had that could resist Blizzard. He called back Jill, and sent out Courtney while Red called his attack. “Lapras, Blizzard!” The attack hit his Starmie harder than he expected, but Courtney was still ready to fight back. “Courtney, Thunderbolt!” Courtney summoned a bolt of lightning that zapped Lapras, but Brandon could see that Lapras was still ready to fight back. “Lapras, Body Slam!” Lapras flew up and landed hard on top of Courtney, who was starting to look hurt. Brandon had no choice but to keep going for it; switching would only cost him an extra Pokemon. “Courtney, Thunderbolt again!” Lapras was hit again, and it too was starting to look worse for wear. Red didn’t let up though, looking to avenge Pikachu. “Lapras, Body Slam!” Lapras landed on Courtney, and Brandon saw that Courtney was down. He waited anxiously, hoping, praying, that his beloved Starmie would find the strength to get back up. And slowly, but surely, despite the hail whittling away at it, Courtney did indeed manage to get back up. Red grimaced, because he knew what would come next. “Courtney, Thunderbolt one last time!” The bolt hit Lapras, who slowly went down. Red willed his Pokemon to get back up, but it became clear that Brandon had drawn blood for a second time. Now tears were flowing down Red’s face. Brandon called out to him, “I’m sorry Red! I don’t want to do this you!”
“You have no choice Brandon!” he called back, tears still streaming, “And I don’t either! Go, Venusaur!” Venusaur came out and roared at Starmie, who was still having trouble staying up. Brandon considered leaving Courtney in to save his other Pokemon, but he knew that Venusaur would be going for a grass move to finish off Courtney, and he had a perfect Pokemon to switch into it. He called back Courtney and sent out Matty as Red called for a Giga Drain, which barely affected the Togekiss. However, Red wasn’t done. "Venusaur, Sleep Powder!” Venusaur blew some weird spores from the flower on its back, and despite his best efforts, Matty slowly nodded off. Brandon desperately called for an Air Slash, but Matty was fast asleep. Brandon considered leaving Matty in, but he was fodder for Sludge Bomb without the ability to fight back, so he decided to go to his only poison resist, which also conveniently resisted grass. Returning Matty to its Pokeball, he said, “Go, Petula!” as Red called for the predictable Sludge Bomb. Gengar came in and took it decently, though it clearly hurt a bit. “Time for a taste of your own medicine Red! Petula, Hypnosis!” Petula focused on Venusaur’s eyes, trying to lull it to sleep, but Venusaur instinctively blocked its eyes, and try as she might Petula couldn’t put Venusaur to sleep, eventually giving up. Red pushed his advantage, “Venusaur, Sleep Powder again!” Yet again Brandon could only watch as his Gengar suffered the same fate as Matty, falling into a deep sleep. Brandon desperately called for Hypnosis while Red slowly whittled Gengar’s health down with Sludge Bombs and Giga Drains. He couldn’t switch; his only other Pokemon that could take the hit was Matty, who would just be killed by Sludge Bombs anyway without being able to fight back. He needed Petula to wake up.

She didn’t.

He watched helplessly as one final Sludge Bomb sent Petula down to the ground, from sleeping to dead. Brandon had finally suffered his first casualty of the match. He somehow fought the urge to cry, knowing that it was far from over. He could grieve later. Yet again he remembered Karen’s words. He wouldn’t give up. His motivation would carry him through. But first, he had to get rid of Venusaur. “Tyler, finish it with Psychic!” Alakazam came out and wasted no time hitting Venusaur with a massive mental blow, causing it to crumple in a heap, clearly dead. Red withdrew it instantly and went straight to Snorlax. There was no more time for regrets or sadness. Both trainers needed to win. Brandon knew a Crunch was coming that would destroy Tyler, so he went to the best Pokemon he had to take down Snorlax. “Go, Houston!” The Machamp came out to replace Tyler just as Red called for the Crunch, Snorlax tried to bite down on Houston, but Houston used his arms to keep his jaws from coming together, and in a feat of superhuman strength threw him off, barely taking any damage. Brandon wasted no time following up. “Houston, Dynamic Punch!” Houston ran up and smashed Snorlax square in the face with the punch, but after some wobbling Snorlax somehow managed to stay up. However, it was clearly confused from the blow, seemingly unsure what was going on. Red ignored this and called for the counter-attack. “Snorlax, Giga Impact!” Snorlax started glowing and charged.

Right off the mountain.

Confused, Snorlax had seen multiple Houstons, and launched his attack at the wrong one, which was standing at the edge of the cliff. Brandon and Red both ran to the cliff, watching as the massive Pokemon fell. “Red, call it back!” Brandon yelled.
“There’s nothing I can do,” Red replied, tears streaming down his face. “I can’t call him back until he completes his attack, which won’t happen until he hits something.” It took only a few more seconds before there was a massive thud on the ground. They both knew the result of the fall, and Red called him back, suffering yet another loss.

Red was shaking now, down to two of his Pokemon. He grabbed his next Pokeball and sent out his next Pokemon. “Go, Charizard!” The massive fire Pokemon came out roaring. Brandon knew that it knew Air Slash, and had no intention of letting Machamp die, even though he could use Rock Slide for an easy kill. The only Pokemon he had that could take multiple blows was Matty, but it was still asleep. Still, he had no choice, so he had to hope he would wake up. “Go, Matty!” However, this time Red predicted the switch. “Charizard, Flare Blitz!” Charizard cloaked itself in flames and charged at Matty, dealing a large amount of damage. Even though Matty was still asleep, Brandon knew he was hurting, and another blow would result in his death. As he thought about it though, he realized that he had nothing else to switch into. Jill could take Flare Blitz well, but would die to Dragon Pulse afterward. Courtney was so weak the hail would probably kill her, and the rest of the team would get decimated by Flare Blitz. He needed Courtney to come in and kill it with Surf, but before that he needed a sacrifice. He thought about the Pokemon he had left. Tyler, Houston and Matty were all more useful against Blastoise than Jill, so his mind was set. He called back Matty, still asleep, and sent out Jill, praying that maybe, just maybe, he would get lucky somehow and Jill would be spared. Red had called for Flare Blitz as he switched, and Charizard smashed into Jill, who threw him back. However, Red knew that Jill wouldn’t be able to take a special attack. “Charizard, Dragon Pulse!” Charizard summoned a beam of pure energy in its mouth and blasted Jill with it. She tried to stay up, but it was too much, and she fell. Brandon could only watch as one of his oldest Pokemon fell, but the end of the fight was in sight. “Go, Courtney!” The Starmie came back out one more time, still barely able to stand, but willing to fight to the death for her trainer. Brandon wasted no time. “Courtney, Surf!” Courtney used all her strength to summon a massive wave, which crashed down onto Charizard, putting out the flame on its tail and finishing it off. Red called it back, and hesitated before sending in his final Pokemon. “Go, Blastoise!” The giant tortoise Pokemon faced Courtney. Brandon knew it would take a miracle at this point to save Courtney, but he only had one choice, and he went for it. “Courtney, Thunderbolt!” The bolt hit Blastoise, but he remained standing, and Brandon whispered a quick goodbye to Courtney. “Blastoise, Flash Cannon!” The attack hit Courtney directly in her jewel, shattering it. She fell, Brandon’s third casualty.

He would make sure it was the last.

“Go, Houston!” The Machamp came back out, still fairly healthy. Red looked at Brandon. They both knew what was going to happen. “End it Brandon,” he said, “before I’m forced to kill more of your Pokemon.”
“I’m sorry Red. Houston, Dynamic Punch!” Machamp complied, ran over and struck Blastoise square in the center of its body, the impact cracking the softer part of its shell. It fell over backwards, and the fight was finally over. Brandon had done it, at the cost of three of his faithful friends. He fell to his knees, sobbing not only because of his own loss, but because of what he was forced to do to succeed. Then he heard Red’s voice. “Get up Brandon.” He looked up and saw Red standing there, tears still streaming down his face. Brandon realized that as much as he had lost, Red had lost even more. Brandon still had three friends beside him, including Houston who had remained outside his Pokeball. Red had none. All were dead. Red repeated his command, and Brandon complied this time, slowly getting back to his feet. Red spoke. “Don’t feel guilty for what you had to do. It was either my Pokemon or yours, and you had a moral obligation to protect your friends. That being said, promise me one thing.”
“Anything to make up for what I’ve done to you.”
“Finish this. Beat all the champions, find the master of this sick game, and end him. Get revenge for all the friends you’ve lost, as well as my Pokemon. Don’t allow someone else to be put through this hell. Learn from my mistakes.” It was an easy response for Brandon. “You had better believe I’ll do all that. But what about you? What will you do?” Red laughed softly. “Me? There’s nothing left for me. I have no Pokemon left, nor do I want to catch more. I’ve already broken all ties with my family. My only friend left is Karen, and she already knows what I planned on doing if I lost.” He took a step back. Brandon wondered what he was doing, as he took another step back, and another. Suddenly it hit Brandon. “No, don’t do it!”
“Goodbye Brandon, and remember your promise. Good luck.” Brandon ran towards him, but he took one last step back and went over the edge. Brandon sent out Togekiss, forgetting it was asleep and it didn’t know Fly anyway, but there was nothing he could do but watch as Red fell until he was out of sight. Brandon started crying uncontrollably. Matty finally woke up, and Tyler came out of his ball. The three remaining Pokemon all gathered round their trainer, trying to console him. Eventually he cried himself out. He turned to the three Pokemon he had left. “Thank you guys. I’m sorry I couldn’t keep the entire team alive, but you have no idea how glad I am to see the three of you still here, still supporting me after everything we’ve been through.” The Pokemon voiced their support, and Brandon, despite everything, managed to smile. He took one last look at the sky, and started to find his way down the mountain.

*Three weeks later...*

Brandon headed towards the lab, Matty close behind him. He had gone to Lavender Town to bury Petula, Courtney, and Jill, with Matty, Houston and Tyler by his side. After that, he had taken some time to relax, or at least to the best of his abilities given everything he had been through. He left Houston and Tyler in New Bark Town, to help the Professor and keep his mother company. He couldn’t leave Matty though. As he found himself standing in front of the lab, he turned to Matty. “Sandgem Town is pretty nice, isn’t it?” Matty cooed in agreement. “Come on,” Brandon said, heading toward the doors, “Professor Rowan is waiting for us.”
THE END

Matty the male Togekiss: Level 75, Quiet nature
-Roost
-Fire Blast
-Aura Sphere
-Air Slash
The fourth Pokemon I ever obtained, ever since it hatched Matty had been a key member of the team. Starting out as a Togepi, a weak Pokemon but with a strong Extrasensory attack, he helped keep the spirits up in the team. His happiness allowed him to then evolve into Togetic, and while his attacking stats started to lag behind the others, who became fully-evolved powerhouses, he remained a key member thanks to his decent defenses and ability to Roost. Not only that, but he became the leader of the team with the deaths of Sara and Melinda in Ecruteak, and was key in pushing the team onward through all sorts of troubling times. I finally obtained a Shiny Stone, and evolved him into Togekiss shortly before the fight with Clair, and he quickly proved his worth, able to take multiple hits on both defenses, Roost off the damage, and strike back with powerful special attacks. Unfortunately, he spent almost the entire battle against Red asleep, limiting his use. Though I can't use him in Sinnoh, he will be accompanying me regardless for moral support.

Tyler the male Alakazam: Level 76, Bashful nature
-Recover
-Focus Blast
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
After evolving into Kadabra, Tyler became the wise man of the group, quiet, distant, and aloof, yet the entire team knew they could always count on him for sage advice. I got him from the Game Corner in Goldenrod, giving up a chance at an Eevee. I don't regret the decision at all, as Tyler has been a key member of the team. His powerful special attacks ripped through all kinds of foes, and he could even Recover to help get rid of the wear and tear of battle. In the battle against Red he avenged Petula's death by striking down Venusaur with a powerful Psychic attack, and he was also ready to finish off Blastoise.

Houston the male Machamp: Level 75, Relaxed nature
-Payback
-Rock Slide
-DynamicPunch
-Earthquake
Caught in Mt. Mortar to help make up for the deaths of Sara and Melinda, training Houston was a pain early on, but as it got stronger it quickly became a powerhouse, destroying things with Dynamic Punch. He never gave up, constantly striving to become stronger. He crushed Snorlax with Dynamic Punch against Red and also struck the final blow, finishing off Blastoise.

Jill the female Golem: Level 75, Rash nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Double-Edge
-Rock Climb
The sixth Pokemon I caught, Jill became a leader of the team, defending the weaker members while increasing her own stength. A reliable defender and a powerful attack, Jill was also a great friend to all of the team's members. She took out Red's strongest Pokemon, Pikachu, while barely taking any damage in return. Unfortunately, with only two Pokemon left to beat, a Pokemon was guaranteed to die and I ended up choosing Jill because it would be useless against Blastoise. RIP.

Petula the female Gengar: Level 75, Rash nature
-Hypnosis
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast
Caught to replace Kyle, Petula was the new troublemaker of the group. Despite always joking around she was a powerful member. Like Tyler, her special attacks destroyed most opponents, and Hypnosis was helpful both for catching new Pokemon and incapacitating threats. Sadly, it failed her when she needed it most, as it missed Venusaur, who proceeded to use Sleep Powder and slowly but surely kill her before she could even wake up. RIP.

Courtney the genderless Starmie: Level 75, Docile nature
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
The final addition to the team, Courtney replaced Anthony and quickly became a key member. Amazing type coverage gave it the ability to defeat all different types of foes, and she singlehandedly defeated Lance. She was also the MVP of the fight against Red, taking down Lapras and Charizard while at almost no health before finally succumbing to Blastoise, but not before putting it in Houston's KO range. RIP.

Catherine the female Caterpie: Level 4, Lax nature
Laura the female Spearow: Level 3, Sassy nature
Kaila the female Drowzee: Level 10, Modest nature
Zach the male Nidoran: Level 12, Lax nature
Justin the male Kakuna: Level 13, Careful nature
Eric the male Sudowoodo: Level 20, Lax nature
Dylan the male Mankey: Level 15, Docile nature
Natasha the female Flaffy: Level 16, Mild nature
Jenn the female Rattata: Level 15, Bashful nature
Jillian the genderless Magnemite: Level 16, Jolly nature
Kayla the female Gyarados: Level 21, Jolly nature
Luke the male Tentacool: Level 20, Modest nature
Bill the male Weepinbell: Level 22, Modest nature
Colleen the female Gligar: Level 24, Calm nature
David the male Snorlax: Level 50, Modest nature
John the male Diglett: Level 17, Rash nature
Chris the male Onix: Level 34, Sassy nature
Nikita the female Krabby: Level 25, Impish nature
Austin the genderless Ho-oh: Level 45, Timid nature
Adam the male Tauros: Level 20, Hardy nature
Michelle the female Doduo: Level 4, Calm nature
Rebecca the female Tangela: Level 30, Serious nature
Daniel the male Quagsire: Level 45, Timid nature
Nathan the male Donphan: Level 40, Serious nature
Phillipe the male Ponyta: Level 32, Calm nature

Corey the male Cyndaquil: Level 13, Mild nature
-Quick Attack
-Leer
-Smokescreen
-Ember
Though shy, Corey was brave and always willing to stand up for his friends. He was my first Pokemon and I had hoped to have him along for the entire challenge. Unfortunately, Falkner ended those hopes with a critical hit Tackle from Pidgeotto that took me by surprise and ended my starter's life. RIP

Nick the male Rattata: Level 12, Mild nature
-Rock Smash
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Bite
Nick was the troublemaker of the group, but he was always ready to fight for his friends and was really close to Corey. After Corey's death I figured Nick was my best bet to finish off Falkner's Pidgeotto, but Roost gave it just enough time to kill Nick. RIP

Andrew the male Zubat: Level 20, Careful nature
-Wing Attack
-Supersonic
-Astonish
-Bite
Andrew was the oddball of the group, and sometimes got on everyone's nerves, especially Melinda, who disliked him. However, the rest of the team liked him, and he became close friends with Jill. Sadly, he was a victim of my overconfidence, and was beaten by a Kadabra's Confusion before he had the chance to do anything. RIP

Melinda the female Weepinbell: Level 21, Lax nature
-Vine Whip
-Sleep Powder
-Cut
-Poison Powder
After the deaths of Corey and Nick, Melinda quickly became a key member of my team. While a great friend, she was rather uptight, and as a result she didn't get along with Andrew. However, after Andrew's death she was wracked with guilt, and determined to be friendly to any and every new member that joined. Unfortunately, she didn't live long enough to see a new member, as a Bite crit, Sleep Powder miss, and Ice Fang all combined to bring her down. RIP.

Sara the female Pidgeotto: Level 22, Relaxed nature
-Whirlwind
-Twister
-Gust
-Quick Attack
My team leader after Corey's early death, Sara was easy to anger but a great friend nonetheless. She bonded well with everyone on the team, and was saddened by every loss. However, not long after Melinda's death, she fought a Charmeleon and after missing multiple Quick Attacks due to Smokescreen a Dragon Rage killed her. RIP.

Kyle the male Chinchou: Level 48, Hasty nature
-Surf
-Blizzard
-Discharge
-Signal Beam
Kyle was a key member of the group from day 1; his combination of types plus the ability to learn Blizzard made him invaluable. The team also loved him and his carefree, friendly attitude. He certainly didn't deserve the death he got; I got greedy and was using Signal Beam to kill a Donphan when I should have played it safe and killed it with Surf, and Kyle was killed by a lucky Magnitude 10. RIP.

Anthony the male Mamoswine: Level 50, Jolly nature
-Ice Fang
-Ice Shard
-Endure
-Earthquake
When he first joined the team, he was an extremely shy Swinub, ashamed of his pitiful battle skills. Two quick evolutions later, and he was suddenly a powerful Mamoswine, clearly a major powerhouse of team. He was extremely arrogant because of this, but Kyle's death humbled him and he started to become more cooperative. He shared in the glory of the Elite 4 victory, but was killed in the battle with Lt. Surge by Electabuzz's Low Kick. RIP.

Courtney one-shotted all on Lance's Pokemon except for Dragonite who got exactly one attack... and wasted it on Safeguard XD Needless to say I didn't think it deserved much of a story. The battle with Red was much, MUCH harder, mainly since I was 5+ levels lower than everything he had. Hax with Venusaur didn't help matters either. That being said, I've done it! Next up as I mentioned before is Diamond (also hinted at in the end of the story, c wut i did thar?) I'm not very happy with the way the first half of the story turned out (aka up to Pikachu's death, the part I had done and lost), I felt I had it much better the first time. Things get slightly better after that in my eyes, though I may have overused the crying/tears, and the dramatic line break. Oh well. Hope you all enjoy it, and I'll hopefully be back tomorrow with the first update for Diamond :)

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, I really want to retry Platinum, but that RNG hates me so much...I think I will soon. Not today, but soon.

Carbon's Emerald Nuzlocke Update 8 (Mossdeep, The Aquan Defeat, Sootopolis, Elite Four Prep)

Big update today! We round out the Gym battles in one fell swoop and save the world! What fun!

I start off in Lilycove, where I head to Mossdeep. No big deal. Go into the gym, fight the trainers; okay, boss time! I lead with Gyarados and Sceptile. Gyarados spams Surf while Sceptile gets a nice hit with Leaf Blade on the Claydol. Next up is Lunatone. Xatu gets a Calm Mind, and Lunatone Psychic's Gyarados and gets a Sp. Def drop. I'm not too worried, though, because it only did about 30% damage. Leaf Blade and Surf barely miss the KO on Lunatone. Unfortunately, the next turn, Lunatone gets a heal, Surf and Leaf Blade then KO it, and then the +1 Sp. Atk Xatu gets a Critical Hit on my -1 Sp. Def Gyarados. Yep. He's out.

I bring in Minun to replace my fallen Dragonbeast. Thunderbolt is an easy KO on Xatu, while Solrock wastes his turn using Sunny Day and gets hit by a Leaf Blade. Another Leaf Blade takes the poor monster down before it can take advantage of Sunny Day and use Solarbeam. Not that it would do much, being that Sceptile resists Grass and Minun is too cool to die. Seventh Gym down; but so is Gyarados. I withdraw Tentacool from the box, fly to Slateport and rename him Gatsby, because I notice he has a Careful nature. +10 cool points for those of you who understand that reference.

Anyway, we go to the Space Center, where Camerupt trolls Team Magma really badly. GG Maxie? Hahahahahaha no. I get Dive and teach it and Surf to Tentacool. I've given him the EXP. Share at this point. I also teach him the Giga Drain TM I had sitting around, and then fly to Dewford and get the Sludge Bomb TM and teach him that too. I go to the Seafloor Cavern to take care of Team Aqua, and while there he evolves into Tentacruel. Archie gets trolled by Minun. Again, GG. Lawl. I'm funny.

Off to Sootopolis! Groudon and Kyogre are fighting! Ahhhh!? I get sent into the Cave of Origin and meet Wallace, who tells me to find Rayquaza. No big deal. I surf my way to Pacifidlog and then decide that the world can wait to be saved. I make a couple of passes on the Routes to the west of Pacifidlog (with all the currents) and fight the trainers there for a lot of nice experience. I then go to the Sky Pillar.

Inside the Sky Pillar, I get a Claydol. I catch him and name him Bartholo. Not sure if he'd be any useful, but it's nice to have him. I run up the stairs for my daily exercise and unleash Rayquaza upon the poor citizens of Sootopolis. After the showdown, I get HM07 from Wallace, get the Move Deleter to take Dive off of Tentacruel and teach him Waterfall, then go to Mt. Pyre for the nice cutscene of Archie and Maxie holding han--I mean, returning the orbs. Back to Sootopolis!

I know the pattern up to Juan by memory at this point, but why waste all the EXP I could get from the like 12 trainers below? I fight all of them. Pushovers. Same with Juan. I lead with Gatsby, Sludge Bomb 2HKOs Luvdisc, while she gets an Attract off on me that doesn't immobolize. Whiscash is next, and falls to Leaf Blade from Sceptile. Kingdra comes out, and - not knowing it had Ice Beam - I leave Sceptile in. Thankfully, Leaf Blade 2HKOs it thanks to a first turn crit and Ice Beam only does just under 50% damage. Go Sceptile. Minun takes care of his remaining Sealeo and Crawdaunt. All gyms beaten!

At this point I head back to Dewford and surf my way to Slateport, fighting the trainers along the way. I also explore the Abandoned Ship for a little while. I also realize I have the Ice Beam TM still, and once I reach the Elite Four and no longer need Waterfall, I'll give that to Tentacruel. Hopefully that somewhat counters my potential Drake problem. I'll also be taking Rock Smash off of Vibrava/Flygon after the Victory Road and giving him Earthquake. Next update might be the last, folks! It depends on how much I dilly-dally. I may have a separate Victory Road update and an Elite Four update. That'll probably end up being the case, knowing how much I <3 grinding, and how OP the Hoenn Elite Four are. I am NOT going to wipe on them after all this. I will cry if that happens. Yes. Cry. Thanks for sticking with me!

The Team:
Gatsby the Tentacruel, level 43.
Surf / Waterfall / Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb
Queen Zeal the Minun, level 43.

Poshul the Camerupt, level 43.
Flamethrower / Earthquake / Rock Slide / Strength

Cuff the Vibrava, level 43.
Crunch / Facade / Rock Smash / Dragonbreath

Luccia the Grumpig, level 42.
Psychic / Confuse Ray / Shock Wave / Shadow Ball

J Fly the Scptile, level 43.
Leaf Blade / Slam / Aerial Ace / Pursuit

The Box:

Mr. Lurk the Shuppet, level 27
Square the Torkoal, level 30
Bartholo the Claydol, level 36

The Graveyard:

SwdRvlnLht the Gyarados, level 41. Critical hit by Xatu's Psychic. RIP.

A Future Sight:

Not that it would do much, being that both Minun and Sceptile resist Grass.
Quite the super-bunny you have there :P
On a more serious note, I would have never guessed that Minun could actually be useful in any capacity. Suppose in Nuzlocke you work with whatever you get.

Oh wow hahahahaha. I am out of it. Electric definitely does not resist grass, it's the other way around. :P

And yeah, I've been surprised too! Minun's speed is incredible, and honestly Thunderbolt is all you need with a lack of Ground-types / why would you keep an Electric in against a Ground-type.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)