Exeggcute (Quality Control)

[Overview]

<p>When Harvest was announced as an ability a lot of hype was thrown around as to this pokemon being completely capable of abusing it. While some sets exist with this strategy, Exeggcute will still mainly be seen as a Solar Sweeper. With Drought being easily accessible, it seems that Exeggcute should be a Pokemon that any Solar team should consider.</p>

[SET]
name: EggSpecsute
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Giga Drain / Solar Beam
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Sludge Bomb / Sleep Powder
item: Choice Specs
ability: Chlorophyl
nature: Modest
evs: 196 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 40 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is probably one of the most efficient Special Sweepers in the LC metagame. STAB Psychic and STAB Giga Drain work together very well to deal massive amounts of damage (and recovery in the case of the latter.) Hidden Power Fire was somewhat of a necessity to deal with other grass types which will be enjoying their own sunshine as well as giving a move that will be boosted by the sun. Sludge Bomb is more of a filler than anything. While it gives neutral coverage against everything, it may be replaced with Sleep Powder as that as good as eliminates a single threat.
</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Machop functions as a good teammate for this set as it will revenge kill all of Exeggcutes counters (with the exception of Bellsprout after a Swords Dance.) Murkrow is also a good partner as it will stop Bellsprout dead. Overall, the set really needs to have a good revenge killer because with its Choice Specs it will be setup fodder for many many things. I think it is also redundant to state that Vulpix is a necessary teammate as without the sun Exeggcute is too slow to function.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There isn't much that can really be changed for the better. If you wanted a more powerful STAB grass type move you could go with Leaf Storm, but the sheer power of Solar Beam is more than enough if that is your desire (not to mention that either of those switches will necessitate a wish passer.) Hidden Power may be changed to Ground type if you see Houndour as a threat and do not wish to run Sleep Powder, but if you make this switch you will be very vulnerable to Murkrow. Another possible change would be to give Exeggcute a Timid Nature and give it 200 Spe EV's so that you can tie and possibly kill Bellsprout.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Houndour will always give this set problems if it does not carry Sleep Powder or Hidden Power Ground. Murkrow is another major problem for this set, though Murkrow will take pleanty of damage from Hidden Power Fire. Another counter is Bellsprout who will outspeed and revenge kill.
</p>

[Dream World]

<p>As stated above Exeggcute's Dream World ability of Harvest is mainly hype. One can use a set of Substitute/Leech Seed/Giga Drain/Hidden Power Fire, but it is very iffy due to the lack of speed and the overal lack of bulk.</p>

Could Harvest+Oran Berry be viable?
I've personally tested that set, and it works but only in certain situations. The set looks something like this:

name: Harvest Annoyer
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
item: Oran Berry
ability: Harvest
nature: Calm
evs: max HP and Def and SpD (I think an extra goes to Speed)

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sun Sweeper
Exeggcute (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 36 Def / 196 SAtk / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- SolarBeam
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic / Explosion / AncientPower

This is the best set that Exeggcute can run in the sun. SolarBeam hits everything hard, and Hidden Power Fire hits anything that resists it. (Grass and Steels) Sleep Powder can put Counters and Checks to sleep, which is what makes him so dangerous. Psychic is Eggy's best filler, but it really doesnt hit anything tbh. Explosion lets you go out with a bang if you don't want to run Psychic. AncientPower could be used in the last slot to hit fire types I suppose, but I haven't calc'ed anything. (Notably Houndoom because it resists Psychic)

^ Psychic hits Dragons and non-Houndour Fire-types that resist Grass + Fire. Nothing common by any means, but you'll definitely want either it or Ancientpower.

Explosion kinda sucks tbh with the new mechanics. Evo Stone being everywhere doesn't help it either, I'd nuke it from the set.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes, I know, but it can still do massive damage to pokes that don't carry an evo stone, and can be useful to weaken something that counters you. That said, it is only the third option, two moves are preferred instead of it.

I've been putting a lot of research (not even stretching it) into a harvest set trying a lot of diferant combinations, and I have found nothing that has not lost in the first couple of turns. I think the problem is that a lot of people expect that strategy now that it has harvest, and so they bring in their set up sweeper and Exeggcute is pretty much a sitting duck. Then if you decided to switch out and come back in, all you have to do is take a neutral hit before you die. USE MUNCHLAX NOT EXEGGCUTE!

Also on the note of the SunSweeper set, I believe that Sleep Powder is viable, but on a Choiced set (which most likely would be run) that choicing Sleep Powder would not be a smart move, as that will give set up sweepers that turn to set up (possibly two if you don't bring in the right counter.) I will consider giving the LO set another run though with Sleep Powder instead of Sludge Bomb.

I would also like to point out that in LC you VERY rarely lose your weather condition. I think therefore that Leaf Storm can be ruled out as Solar Beam will have just as much effectiveness without the -2 SpA. I don't think that the 20 extra base power of LS is worth the drop when SB is just as viable. Also, I'm going to go ahead and rule out Choice Scarf because you would only run Exeggcute in the Sun and so it will already have enough speed.

So in conclusion I will be researching the use of Sleep Powder on a LO sweeper and then I will correct the formating issues and have a full analysis up and ready to be looked over.

I would also like to point out that in LC you VERY rarely lose your weather condition.
Just to say, this is not true. Hippopotas and Snover are still out there, and aren't rare threats. Frankly, I see Snover all the time, and Hippopotas slightly less, but he's still there. I see Vulpix much less than either of the other two weather starters. With a weather reliant pokemon, you always need to keep in consideration the possibility of weather being changed. Put LeafStorm in the Additional Comments, just because it's a notable move that some may want to use, although SolarBeam will be much more common.

really? I never see those two... Anywho, if you are running a Sunny Day team you shouldn't have too much problem controling the weather (grass types will eat hippo up and fire types will destroy snover just make sure you keep vulpix around *as though you shouldn't do that on a weather team anyways*)
However that isn't my point. My point is, yeah I'll probably list Leaf Storm as a secondary attack. I might also go ahead and list Giga Drain, even without the power of the other two, it still can effectively keep you alive (especially on the LO set) but I don't see it being effective enough to place as the primary STAB.

A. Spexeggcute is a far better name. j/s

B. Exeggcute is a kickass sun sweeper with Moo's set. Slash Giga Drain with Solarbeam and Evo-stone with LO, and no explosion because explosion sucks.

C. Delete the part about Speggxecute being a sun sweeper. Exeggcute is strong, yes, but even +1 Solarbeams can be cockblocked when it's the only move on the set, and his other moves do even less.

D. Trick Room set.

Houndour will always give this set problems if it does not carry Sleep Powder or Hidden Power Ground. Murkrow is another major problem for this set, though Murkrow will take pleanty of damage from Hidden Power Fire. Another counter is Bellsprout who will outspeed and revenge kill.
E. Mention Krow has Insomnia

F. Bellsprout is not a counter, but a revenger, since it dies to HP Fire, Psychic, and Sleep Powder.

G. Talk about how Sleep Powder nullifies one would-be counter

H. Dual Screens set, Sleep Powder, unique typing, and good defenses gives it viability

I. Possible tank set with Eviolite and Synthesis/[Stun Spore/Toxic]/Sleep Powder/Giga Drain

<p>When Harvest was announced as an ability a lot of hype was thrown around as to this pokemon being completely capable of abusing it. While some sets exist with this strategy, Exeggcute will still mainly be seen as a Solar Sweeper. With Drought being easily accessible, it seems that Exeggcute should be a Pokemon that any Solar team should consider.</p>
J. It's "Sun"

<p>This set is probably one of the most efficient Special Sweepers in the LC metagame. STAB Psychic and STAB Giga Drain work together very well to deal massive amounts of damage (and recovery in the case of the latter.) Hidden Power Fire was somewhat of a necessity to deal with other grass types which will be enjoying their own sunshine as well as giving a move that will be boosted by the sun. Sludge Bomb is more of a filler than anything. While it gives neutral coverage against everything, it may be replaced with Sleep Powder as that as good as eliminates a single threat.
K. Psychic hits most grasses, HP Fire is for steels

<p>Machop functions as a good teammate for this set as it will revenge kill all of Exeggcute's counters (with the exception of Bellsprout after a Swords Dance.) Murkrow is also a good partner as it will stop Bellsprout dead. Overall, the set really needs to have a good revenge killer because with its Choice Specs it will be setup fodder for many many things. I think it is also redundant to state that Vulpix is a necessary teammate, as without the sun Exeggcute is too slow to function.</p>
L. Meditite does it better, Fake Out+Bullet Punch kills Bellsprout

M. "unnecessary" and a comma after teammate and an apostrophe for Exeggcute to signify possession

N. Talk about SD and how Eggy sucks at it

O. It's "Solarbeam," not "Solar Beam"

<p>As stated above, Exeggcute's Dream World ability of Harvest is mainly hype. One can use a set of Substitute/Leech Seed/Giga Drain/Hidden Power Fire, but it is very iffy due to the lack of speed and the overal lack of bulk.</p>
P. Exeggcute doesn't lack bulk >_>

You could also run Stun Spore to make up for speed.

Specs exeggcute is pretty awful compared to Life Orb or Evolution Stone. Have you even tested the specs set?

Moo

Professor
Just posting to say that Ancientpower should be the 4th option because it hits Fire-type and Murkrow. Psychic coverage isnt as good, and the secondary effect is absolutely smexy when it happens.

A. Spexeggcute is a far better name. j/s

B. Exeggcute is a kickass sun sweeper with Moo's set. Slash Giga Drain with Solarbeam and Evo-stone with LO, and no explosion because explosion sucks.

C. Delete the part about Speggxecute being a sun sweeper. Exeggcute is strong, yes, but even +1 Solarbeams can be cockblocked when it's the only move on the set, and his other moves do even less.

D. Trick Room set.

E. Mention Krow has Insomnia

F. Bellsprout is not a counter, but a revenger, since it dies to HP Fire, Psychic, and Sleep Powder.

G. Talk about how Sleep Powder nullifies one would-be counter

H. Dual Screens set, Sleep Powder, unique typing, and good defenses gives it viability

I. Possible tank set with Eviolite and Synthesis/[Stun Spore/Toxic]/Sleep Powder/Giga Drain

J. It's "Sun"

K. Psychic hits most grasses, HP Fire is for steels

L. Meditite does it better, Fake Out+Bullet Punch kills Bellsprout

M. "unnecessary" and a comma after teammate and an apostrophe for Exeggcute to signify possession

N. Talk about SD and how Eggy sucks at it

O. It's "Solarbeam," not "Solar Beam"

P. Exeggcute doesn't lack bulk >_>

You could also run Stun Spore to make up for speed.
I'll take these into consideration.

Just posting to say that Ancientpower should be the 4th option because it hits Fire-type and Murkrow. Psychic coverage isnt as good, and the secondary effect is absolutely smexy when it happens.
Okay, I do feel dumb now. I didn't even think of Ancientpower to take care of Houndour and Murcrow...

Specs exeggcute is pretty awful compared to Life Orb or Evolution Stone. Have you even tested the specs set?
Life Orb doesn't quite pack enough power imo. LC is so wide in its spectrum that you see many games that are just a matter of who attacks first wins, and then some that are complete stall. While I do see that it is nice to switch attacks, Specs allow for much more power. Evolution Stone just doesn't fit in well with what Exeggcute is really built to do, and that is Special Sweep. If you have a viable moveset, I will test it to see if it works out, but othewise I see no reason to create a moveset around Evo Stone.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well in everyone else's opinion it does. The set Moo provided is essentially the standard Sun sweeping Exeggcute in the current metagame like it or not, and is highly advised you add it to your analysis if you want this analysis to go anywhere.

For real, Spexeggcute can be shut down so hard that it can't possibly be the only set you mention. With LO you can take advantage of your adequate coverage without godly prediction. Solarbeam packs a great deal of power regardless, and with Eviolite you could possibly abuse Giga Drain recovery to pull off something like a bulky sweep, considering Bug-type moves are not all that common in LC.

You can't say things like "Life Orb doesn't pack enough power" without backing it up with calculations. If the .2 damage multiplier makes a difference, then sure Choice Specs is fine as an option. Otherwise, Life Orb is better almost 100% of the time.

The bulky sweeper is a bulky sweeper. It still sweeps but it does so slower and steadier.

[SET]
name: EggSpecsute
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Solar Beam
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Synthesis
item: Eviolite
ability: Chlorophyl
nature: Modest
evs: 116 Def / 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 116 Spe

use this tactic: Sleep, SolarBeam. Rinse, repeat, 75% Synthesis when necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)