My First Sunny Day & Gen 5 Team

this is a sunny day team i'm planning for Gen 5 but i think it needs some work but im not sure what to change(remove/add). This team is untested since I don’t wanna play the game or that before it comes out. This is also my first RMT so sorry for any mistakes or such

BOLD & ORANGE UNSURE ABOUT
CHANGES/NEW POKES ARE IN BLUE & BOLD

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid/Modest
~Drought
Evs 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 Hp
-Energy Ball
-Fire Blast
-Hypnosis
-Psycho Shock/HP <type>

Ninetales main job is to set up sun with drought and hit things with STAB fire blast and energy ball adds coverage and don't worry about being stuck in after choosing solarbeam if the weather changes. Hypnosis is for some support and the last slot I’m not too sure about.

Ferrothorn/Nattorei @ Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
~Steel Thorns
Evs 252 Hp,252 Def, 4 SpD
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Toxic
-Protect

I think this a pretty basic wall like set for Nattorei(I prefer over Ferrothorn). He can take the hits/moves well that are aimed for other members of my team, besides fighting which Dusknoir can come in on. Leech Seed is to help get hp back. Gyro ball is to deal damage and it works good on Nattorei since he’s slow as all hell. Toxic helps spread status and wear things down. Protect helps with toxic stalling & leech seed/lefties recovery. What to get ride of for SR?
~Thanks to ToastTyrant for suggesting this!~

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Modest
~Shadow Tag/Flash Fire
EVs 252 SpA,252 Spe,4 Hp
-Solarbeam/Energy Ball
-OverHeat
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic
Chandelure is pretty much a Hit & Run/Revenge Killer. Overheat is their for a powerful STAB move that will hit most things pretty hard. Shadow Ball is secondary STAB. SolarBeam/Energy Ball is for some coverage, not sure which to use yet. I was gonna use solar beam for the power and it doesn’t need a charge in the sun but then I read that if the weather changes the turn you select solar beam it takes to turns so I’ll probably be going with energy ball. Psychic adds some coverage and has a good BP

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold/Impish
~Chlorophyll
EVs 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 SpD
-SolarBeam/Power Whip
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Sludge Bomb/Earthquake

Tangrowth is a physical wall. Solarbeam/Power whip is for STAB move(depending on nature). Sleep Power let's me put threats to other members of my team to sleep or get in a safe switch. Leech seed is to help recover health and possibly force a switch. The last move on not to sure of, want another attacking move not sure would be best though

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive
~Speed Boost
EVs 252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 SpA
-Hi Jump Kick
-Fire Blast
-Shadow Claw
-Protect

Blaziken is here to replace Conkeldurr since he covers the fighting type and can make use of the sun with STAB fire moves. HJK & Fire Blast are for STAB and power. Shadow Claw adds coverage and can hit ghost super effectivly. Protect help gets a speed boost

Heatran @ Life Orb/Balloon
Nature: Timid
~Flash Fire
Evs 252 SpA,252 Spe,4 Hp
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-Stealth Rocks
-Dragon Pulse

Heatran is hear for more type coverage and his resistances. Fire blast is his STAB move that deals good damage from his good special attack + sun(even without the sun). Earth Power is for hitting other fire types and such. Dragon Pulse is for those dragon types + coverage. And stealth rocks to well get rocks up because they'll probably help even though i don't like using them

POKEMON THAT HAVE BEEN REMOVED(in order):
Exeggutor
Victini
Krookodile
Spiritomb
Meganium
Dusknoir
Conkeldurr

Well thats about it i think, thanks in advance for any help

Probably remove Sunny Day on one of them; most people will tell you to take it off completely but the ability to reinstate weather after Ninetales goes down is very useful; particularly with such bulky 'mons. Stone Edge and/or EQ should be replaced with Payback and/or Bulk Up. For Chandelure, Hex can be replaced with (unsure about this) Clear Smog, Pain Split or Night Shade depending on what you want. none of these are good for a Scarfed Chandelure so maybe keep the double STAB. Heatran has some moveset issues; try Stealth Rock over Flash Cannon or Dragon Pulse. Keep it up!

Probably remove Sunny Day on one of them; most people will tell you to take it off completely but the ability to reinstate weather after Ninetales goes down is very useful; particularly with such bulky 'mons. Stone Edge and/or EQ should be replaced with Payback and/or Bulk Up. For Chandelure, Hex can be replaced with (unsure about this) Clear Smog, Pain Split or Night Shade depending on what you want. none of these are good for a Scarfed Chandelure so maybe keep the double STAB. Heatran has some moveset issues; try Stealth Rock over Flash Cannon or Dragon Pulse. Keep it up!

Thanks for the advice. I decided to keep Sunny day on Meganium just incase. and I don't use bulk up on Conkeldurr because he has flame orb but after thinking about it payback seemed like a better choice then EQ. And I changed flash cannon for SR

Well, that should help. Just make sure not to leave Heatran 'til the end of the battle if you want hazards. And how useful is TPunch be on Dusknoir?

yeah i know, thats something ill have to remember about. i don't think it's very effective, i vagely remember using it on one last gen and don't think i ever used it. Ice punch would probably be more effective for dragons(not sure what else) and earthquake is probably more practical and useful then shadow sneak with dusknoir's pretty poor att

I'm not against SolarBeam on a Sunny Day team, it's just about who's using it. That Pokemon should NOT be Ninetails.

It's just too important in setting up the weather to be caught by a SandStreamer or Politoed switching in, as any one of them has a super-effective move that can down your Droughtbringer.

Oh my god what are you doing with a Sun Team without Chlorophyll Venusaur??? Meganium sucks to be honest, even with Leaf Guard. Replace it with Venusaur who can run many different sets including a Growth Sweeper, Subseeder, etc etc.

Oh my god what are you doing with a Sun Team without Chlorophyll Venusaur??? Meganium sucks to be honest, even with Leaf Guard. Replace it with Venusaur who can run many different sets including a Growth Sweeper, Subseeder, etc etc.
Ditto^. Here's a nice set.

Venusaur @ Leftovers (Chlorophyll)
Timid-236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
~Sleep Powder
~Leech Seed
~Solarbeam
~Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power Fire

Standard SubSeed Combo with Solarbeam and Sludgebomb/HP Fire to eliminate Grass types that wall you.

hmm alright, ill take Venusaur into consideration. i was only using meganium because i couldnt think of much else when i was making the team to take physical hits, i tend to want atleast 1 physical and 1 special wall when making a team

A good wall I've seen on on Sun teams is nattorei. It takes all of the Water, Rock, Poison, and Flying types they the rest can't handle.

It seems a bit like half your team is a Sun team, and half is simply a normal one. If you want to make a Sun team, you need to make up for Ninetales' weaknesses by exploiting your weather to the fullest - and Dusknoir and Roobushin simply do not do this at all.

If you want a Physical wall try a Chlorophyll Tangrowth - it still has pretty epic Physical bulk and can sweep at a moment's notice. If you want something even more bulky but less offensive, go for an Evo Stone Tangela as a quickstaller using Leech Seed. Leafeon can be similarly defensive and act as a cleric with Heal Bell.

I'd think about using Forretress over Ferrothorn as it can Rapid Spin SR and T-Spikes away, which you are currently weak to, as well as use a slow Volt Change to get Tales in safely. I'd advise trying Blaziken over Roobushin, as in Sun his attacks simply tear shit up. Something to help him setup, like dual screens or Memento can also be used to more easily sweep with him. Two Flash Fire users aren't necessary, so maybe try replacing Heatran with a Latias or Cress with Dual Screens and/or Memento (SR can be taken by Forretress).

Okay, so you have Ninetales, Nattorei, Dusknoir, Roobushin, Shanderaa.

Rankurusu's going to have fun here, isn't he?

It seems like only Ninetales and Shanderaa benefit from the sun. Since you already have Nattorei (which would probably benefit from 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and Relaxed in order to take huge rock and ground type attacks for Ninetales and Shanderaa, while Shanderaa can return the favor by being immune to both of Nattys weaknesses.), you could easily replace Dusknoir with something else, like a chlorophyll sweeper or screener.

Roobushin also isn't going to last long with Flame Orb, and he's pretty much your only way to stop Doryuuzu and opposing Heatran (on a baloon). You could replace it with a mixed Blaziken consising of Fire Blast / Hi Jump Kick / Shadow Claw / Protect in order to Speed Boost-Sweep without being walled. 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe__Naive will hurt alot of things running around in OU.

Shanderaa won't be able to sweep or consistently hit hard if you run Overheat over, say, Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Since you only have one or two ways to induce status, the fourth move could be HP Fighting or Psychic for better type coverage and more power. Solar Beam should definetley be considered since the sun should always be up. If you need help keeping the sun up, you could use the spot that Dusknoir ccould provide with a MH-Erufuun

Erufuun @ Leftovers / Heat Rock
Jolly__252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
~Light Screen
~Reflect
~Sunny Day
~Taunt

Taunt things that could taunt you, Screens for a big buff in your teams defenses, and Sunny Day in case your team nees it, or you decide to lead with him.

It seems a bit like half your team is a Sun team, and half is simply a normal one. If you want to make a Sun team, you need to make up for Ninetales' weaknesses by exploiting your weather to the fullest - and Dusknoir and Roobushin simply do not do this at all.

If you want a Physical wall try a Chlorophyll Tangrowth - it still has pretty epic Physical bulk and can sweep at a moment's notice. If you want something even more bulky but less offensive, go for an Evo Stone Tangela as a quickstaller using Leech Seed. Leafeon can be similarly defensive and act as a cleric with Heal Bell.

I'd think about using Forretress over Ferrothorn as it can Rapid Spin SR and T-Spikes away, which you are currently weak to, as well as use a slow Volt Change to get Tales in safely. I'd advise trying Blaziken over Roobushin, as in Sun his attacks simply tear shit up. Something to help him setup, like dual screens or Memento can also be used to more easily sweep with him. Two Flash Fire users aren't necessary, so maybe try replacing Heatran with a Latias or Cress with Dual Screens and/or Memento (SR can be taken by Forretress).
I noticed that too as ive been removing and adding things. i'll be removing Dusknoir but not sure about Roobushin. i do like bulky Tanggrowth though, i used one on a team in 4th gen and it worked pretty well(i used a sleep powder/power whip/knock off/leech seed set back then).

I'll check out some Blaziken sets and highly consider it since it can make use of the sun but i'm not sure about Forretress and ill look into replace ments for Heatran. i really don't like the idea of having to set up screens but if it comes to that ill go with it

Okay, so you have Ninetales, Nattorei, Dusknoir, Roobushin, Shanderaa.

Rankurusu's going to have fun here, isn't he?

It seems like only Ninetales and Shanderaa benefit from the sun. Since you already have Nattorei (which would probably benefit from 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and Relaxed in order to take huge rock and ground type attacks for Ninetales and Shanderaa, while Shanderaa can return the favor by being immune to both of Nattys weaknesses.), you could easily replace Dusknoir with something else, like a chlorophyll sweeper or screener.
I'll change Nattorei's EVs and nature and I'm gonna replace Dusknoir w/ Chlorophyll Tangrowth most likely.

Roobushin also isn't going to last long with Flame Orb, and he's pretty much your only way to stop Doryuuzu and opposing Heatran (on a baloon). You could replace it with a mixed Blaziken consising of Fire Blast / Hi Jump Kick / Shadow Claw / Protect in order to Speed Boost-Sweep without being walled. 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe__Naive will hurt alot of things running around in OU.
hmmm looks like a pretty good set. what item would it be at though?

Shanderaa won't be able to sweep or consistently hit hard if you run Overheat over, say, Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Since you only have one or two ways to induce status, the fourth move could be HP Fighting or Psychic for better type coverage and more power. Solar Beam should definetley be considered since the sun should always be up. If you need help keeping the sun up, you could use the spot that Dusknoir ccould provide with a MH-Erufuun

Erufuun @ Leftovers / Heat Rock
Jolly__252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
~Light Screen
~Reflect
~Sunny Day
~Taunt

Taunt things that could taunt you, Screens for a big buff in your teams defenses, and Sunny Day in case your team nees it, or you decide to lead with him.
i picked Overheat over Fire blast/Flamethrower because i don't plan on keeping Chandelure in for more then 1 attack really(a spinner would probably help since Chandelure has a SR weakness). i'll consider Erufuun even though i just don't like it for some reason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)