A Shroom and a Slug - Defensive Duo (Max Rank: #18 DW OU)

NOTE: This team has officially gotten me to rank #18 so far on Smogon's Dream World OU server.

I finally made an account here although I've been creeping around for a while on Shoddy Battle and PO. I decided to post my team here and see what you guys think about it so be brutal and honest!

INTRO:

I have recently come to love one of this generation's new pokemon - Amoonguss. I decided I wanted to run a team with him.

This is what I came up with.

TEAM BUILDING:

Amoonguss is my favorite Pokemon to come about this generation. I decided I wanted him on my team no matter what. I decided I would try to form a Fire, Grass, Water defensive core.

Gastrodon seemed to compliment Amoonguss very nicely - his new ability Storm Drain made him even more appealing to me so I decided on him as well. Finally, I needed a fire type and the choice was clear to me.

Heatran rounds off this core, providing resistances against Amoonguss's fire, ice, and flying weaknesses. Next, I decided I wanted to use another rather unorthodox Pokemon that I read about in the past - Choice Band Dusknoir.

Right now, I don't have much hope against Blissey and other bulky special defensive 'mons. Thus I brought in the premier fighting type of this generation.

Finally, I wanted a true powerhouse. Something that could start the battle strong - preferably a dragon.

IN DEPTH:

Hydreigon @Life Orb
Nature: Naive (+Spd, -Sp.Def)
EVs: 60 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk / 196 Spd
Attacks:
~Draco Meteor
~Outrage
~Fire Blast
~Dark Pulse

--Hydreigon usually leads in most battles unless the other team is running something that poses an immediate threat to him or if I see a Chandelure on the opposing team (I'll go into more detail about this later). The EVs I gave him allow him to tear a lot of things apart with Draco Meteor. Those that are not OHKO'd by it can usually be finished with another one, or an Outrage (which 2HKO's Blissey). Fire Blast roasts Steels that might switch in to take the Dragon attacks, while Dark Pulse provides a secondary stab.

Dusknoir @Choice Band
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Attacks:
~ Sucker Punch
~ Earthquake
~ ThunderPunch
~ Trick

--Dusknoir is rarely used on teams with the plethora of other ghosts to choose from including his Evo Stone younger brother. However, I decided to take a different route with him than normal. Instead of tanking hits, I took advantage of his average attack stat and threw a Choice Band on him. Surprisingly, he's incredibly useful. Sucker Punch wrecks Psychic and Ghosts that think they have the upper hand. He has yet to be KO'd by a Chandelure. If I see the other team has one, I usually lead with Conkeldurr and 90% of the time they'll switch in Chandelure expected to a Drain Punch / Bulk Up. Predicting this is usually easy enough and switching Dusknoir in while they bring in their ghost is not a problem. Sucker Punch proceeds to OHKO Chandelure before it can get off Shadow Ball. Earthquake is the main move I use on him as it packs quite a punch (does about 60%-70% to Blissey) while ThunderPunch provides a much needed electric attack on the team to help deal with waters. Trick rounds off the set and really screws over a lot of Pokemon thinking they can switch into Dusknoir (expecting a tank to set up on)

Conkeldurr @Leftovers
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Sp. Def
Attacks:
~ Bulk Up
~ Drain Punch
~ Mach Punch
~ Stone Edge

--Typical bulk up Conkeldurr. Stone Edge wrecks most thins that can switch into a Drain Punch. Conkeldurr also loves status and usually absorbs everything but Sleep.

Heatran @Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid (+Spd, - Atk)
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
Attacks:
~ Fire Blast
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Earth Power
~ Dark Pulse

--ScarfTran is a nasty revenge killer along and insanely useful this generation to me. Almost all the Heatran I see today have balloons or are bulky ones. Fire Blast blows holes in those that don't resist it. Dragon Pulse blasts dragon types while Earth Power destroys other Heatran. Dark Pulse is probably not the best choice for the last slot, however, it seems like a lot of people forget or don't know Heatran can learn it and I've found it helpful taking out Ghosts and Psychics that bother Conkeldurr.

Gastrodon @Leftovers
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 212 HP / 244 Def / 44 Sp. Atk
Attacks:
~ Earth Power
~ Ice Beam
~ Toxic
~ Recover

-- This. thing. rocks. I do not understand why more people don't take advantage of Gastrodon this generation. Storm Drain is such a ridiculously useful ability give his typing. This guy can shut down most bulky waters instantly and is incredibly durable. He's an integral part of my team and with a +1 boost to his special attack, hits 346 Sp. Atk (higher than a neutral nature, max EV base 120).

Amoonguss @Leftovers
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Sp. Def
Attacks:
~ Spore
~ Giga Drain
~ Clear Smog
~ Hidden Power Fire / Ice

-- This guy is phenomenal. The EVs are arbitrary and could probably use tweaking, but as they are I've come to absolutely love him. His typing, ability, attacks, and stat distribution are all amazing. Regenerator makes him seemingly immortal as all he has to do is switch out to gain 1/3 of his health back. Spore is always helpful as well. Giga Drain does a surprising amount of damage and just adds to the shroom's bulk. Clear Smog makes the set in my opinion stopping boosters like Conkeldurr and Techniloom cold. Whilst weak, it hits opposing grass type as a 150 base damage move after counting STAB and super effectiveness which is actually more than HP Fire or Ice would do. On that subject, I've been switching between the two quite often. HP Fire allows Amoonguss to threaten steel type stat uppers like Lucario and Scizor as they aren't affected by Clear Smog. HP Ice, however, cripples Landorus, Gliscor, and dragon types.

Offensive Threats

Aerodactyl - Hydreigon, Dusknoir, Conkeldurr, Gastrodon
Archeops - Gastrodon, Dusknoir, Conkeldurr
Azelf - Heatran, Dusknoir
Bisharp - Conkeldurr, Heatran, Gastrodon
Blaziken - Dusknoir, Gastrodon, and Heatran can take it out easily. If it switches into Amoonguss and expects a switch I can Clear Smog it to rid of it's boosts.
Breloom - Amoonguss
Chandelure - Hydreigon, Heatran, Gastrodon (if it doesn't carry Energy Ball)
Cobalion - Amoonguss, Dusknoir, Gastrodon, Conkeldurr
Conkeldurr - Amoonguss
Darmanitan - Dusknoir, Heatran, Gastrodon can all take care of him
Deoxys-S - Dusknoir can Sucker Punch it to oblivion, Hydreigon and Heatran Dark Pulse him
Dragonite - Amoonguss, Gastrodon, Hydreigon outspeeds, Heatran
Druddigon - Gastrodon, Amoonguss, Hydreigon
Eelektross - Heatran, Gastrodon if it doesn't have Grass Knot, Hydreigon
Electivire - Heatran, Dusknoir, Gastrodon
Emboar - Gastrodon, Heatran, Dusknoir
Empoleon - Amoonguss, Gastrodon, Dusknoir, Conkeldurr
Espeon - Hydreigon, Heatran, Dusknoir
Escavalier - Heatran, Amoonguss, Hydreigon can Fire Blast it
Excadrill - Conkeldurr, Amoonguss, Gastrodon, Dusknoir can Earthquake it if its balloon is gone
Garchomp - Gastrodon, Amoonguss, Heatran can revenge it if not scarfed
Genesect - Heatran and Hydreigon can kill it. Requires special switching
Gengar - Dusknoir, Hydreigon, and Heatran take him well
Golurk - Dusknoir, Hydreigon, Gastrodon, Amoonguss, and Heatran all can hit him for x2
Gyarados - Somewhat threatening but can be killed by Dusknoir most of the time
Haxorus - Heatran, Gastrodon, and Amoonguss
Heatran - Gastrodon can usually handle him, Conkeldurr can revenge him
Heracross - Heatran, Amoonguss
Hydreigon - Heatran, Gastrodon, Conkeldurr
Infernape - switching around between Heatran and Dusknoir. One of them can usually take it down.
Jirachi - Heatran, Hydreigon, Gastrodon especially can switch into Thunderwaves.
Jolteon - Gastrodon can come in and send him out
Keldeo - Amoonguss resists both his stabs while Gastrodon can come in on a water attack.
Kingdra - Amoonguss and Gastrodon can come in on water attacks and Heatran can come in on the retaliating Dragon attack and attack with Dragon Pulse
Krookodile - Amoonguss and Gastrodon can take him on. Conkeldurr can Mach Punch him if he's weakened.
Kyurem - Conkeldurr can Mach Punch him, Heatran can blast it with Fire Blast
Landorus - Gastrodon can Ice Beam it. If Amoonguss has HP Ice, it can as well.
Latios - Sucker Punch from Dusknoir destroys him, otherwise Gastrodon, Heatran, and Hydreigon all fare well if it's locked into a move.
Lilligant - Amoonguss and Heatran threaten him.
Lucario - Amoonguss is somewhat threatening when it has HP Fire. Gastrodon can Earth Power it.
Machamp - Amoonguss resists DynamicPunch and can take an Ice Punch well while Dusknoir is immune to DynamicPunch all together.
Magnezone - Gastrodon if it has HP Ice, Heatran, Conkeldurr, Hydreigon if it has HP Grass, Dusknoir
Mamoswine - Gastrodon, Heatran, Conkeldurr
Meloetta-S - Conkeldurr, Amoonguss, Dusknoir, Gastrodon
Meloetta-V - Hydreigon, Heatran, Dusknoir, Gastrodon
Metagross - Gastrodon, Heatran, Hydreigon, Dusknoir, Amoonguss
Mienshao - Dusknoir, Gastrodon, and Amoonguss all can take him down
Reuniclus - Dusknoir can Sucker Punch and Trick him. Heatran and Hydreigon wreck it with Dark Pulse
Roserade - Amoonguss, Heatran, and Hydreigon all threaten him
Salamence - Gastrodon can usually take whatever he throws. Heatran can revenge him too while Conkeldurr threatens with Stone Edge.
Sawsbuck - Amoonguss can use Clear Smog, Hydreigon and Heatran can use Fire Blast, while Conkeldurr can punch it.
Scizor - Heatran can usually Fire Blast it as can Hydreigon. Gastrodon and Amoonguss can take hits from him well.
Scrafty- Conkeldurr, Amoonguss can cancel stat boosts too.
Seismitoad - Amoonguss, Gastrodon
Serperior - Amoonguss and Heatran cope well with him
Shaymin - Heatran and Hydreigon can deal. HP Ice causes problems for Amoonguss
Sigilyph - Amoonguss can cancel out Clear Smog if it tries to Cosmic Power expecting a switch. Heatran and Hydreigon also threaten it.
Smeargle - Let it sleep something and bring in Amoonguss to Clear Smog stat boosts it tries to get.
Starmie - Bring Gastro in on water/Thunderbolt attacks. Heatran on Ice Beam and retaliate with Dark Pulse
Terakion - Conkeldurr can punch it, Gastrodon can take some attacks while Dusknoir is immune to CC and Amoonguss resists it.
Thundurus - Stopped by Gastrodon if it doesn't have Grass Knot.
Togekiss - Gastrodon can take the ThunderWave and threaten with Ice Beam and Toxic
Tornadus - Gastrodon and Dusknoir can tear him apart.
Tyranitar - Amoonguss, Gastrodon and Conkeldurr scare him
Venusaur - Amoonguss and Heatran can take him on usually.
Victini - Dusknoir can Sucker Punch it away while Gastrodon can Earth power it.
Virizion - Amoonguss stops it dead.
Volcarona - Problematic if it gets some boosts. I usually attempt to get Conkeldurr to Stone Edge it.
Weavile - Conkeldurr destroys it.
Zoroark - Usually predictable but Gastrodon and Conkeldurr can take it. I haven't had any trouble with them.

Welcome to Smogon!

Amoongus would definetley prefer HP Fire, seeing as Giga Drain hits Landorus and Gliscor for STAB nuetral damage. Since you have Spore, you could replace Clear Smog with Sludge Bomb for much more power, and Spore stops sweepers cold "especially since Techniloom does'nt carry Toxic Orb". If these are his main jobs, you'd be best running a much more physically defensive set of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA.

In order to function well as a "pair", Gastrodon should run a pureley Special Defenseive spread of 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD (and I don't think your evs add up correctly). The main reason alot of people don't use this nowadays is because of Swampert and Unaware Quagsire, both of which are superior options and most likeley to be better team mates for Amoongus.

Heatran looks fine, but remember that you have 4 extra evs that you could toss into HP or SpD, just for a tiny boost. You could try a Baloon in order for more survivability and better switch-ins in exchange for less Speed, but it's up to you.

If you're going for a Physical Attacker, Goruugo(Golurk) can pull it off much better, and he can get No Guard / Iron Fist and Rock Polish.

Golurk @ Expert Belt___No Guard
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Rock Polish
~Dynamic Punch
~Shadow Punch
~Earthquake

Here's the stats (HP / Atk / Spe) : Dusknoir=294 / 328 / 126 Golurk= 320 / 381 / 209. Dusknoir isn't really serving as a defender, so Golurk could easily fulfill his role better, and with a wonderful STAB Earthquake.

Roobushin definetley benefits more from Payback over Stone Edge for better coverage, while Stone Edge's poor accuracy is a let down if you have to worry about a burn widdling you down.

While the Hydreigon set is fine, the extra HP evs need to go into Speed (for 252 total Speed EVS) to outspeed alot of threats that would otherwise be faster than you.

Well, that's all for now. Good Luck!

Hi there, nice team you got there, but the sets are a little weird. I am not a pro on EVs, but I can certainly help on your movesets. First things first, what are your motives on your team? Your team is defensively orientated, but there are no hazards to assist you. Your team also forces an awful lot of switches, further amplifying the need for hazards. It is also asking for a Specs Latias sweep, although uncommon, if it appears its pretty much good game. Anyways what is Dark Pulse doing on Heatran, replace it with HP Grass for Bulky Waters.
All those problems simply ask for something: Ferrothorn
It elevates all these problems, eating up a good proportion of your opponent's HP stats when they switch in their counters. You could run it over Hydreigon, who is very redundant on your team, although it dents stuff, entry hazards are more vital.
For Amoongus, Hidden Power is not necessary, as what it is meant to hit are all checked by Heatran and Gastrodon.
Oh and here are the biggest threats: Specs Lati@s
Renniculus
NP Lucario
Hihidaruma (Whats the English name again?)

Welcome to Smogon!

Amoongus would definetley prefer HP Fire, seeing as Giga Drain hits Landorus and Gliscor for STAB nuetral damage. Since you have Spore, you could replace Clear Smog with Sludge Bomb for much more power, and Spore stops sweepers cold "especially since Techniloom does'nt carry Toxic Orb". If these are his main jobs, you'd be best running a much more physically defensive set of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA.

In order to function well as a "pair", Gastrodon should run a pureley Special Defenseive spread of 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD (and I don't think your evs add up correctly). The main reason alot of people don't use this nowadays is because of Swampert and Unaware Quagsire, both of which are superior options and most likeley to be better team mates for Amoongus.

Heatran looks fine, but remember that you have 4 extra evs that you could toss into HP or SpD, just for a tiny boost. You could try a Baloon in order for more survivability and better switch-ins in exchange for less Speed, but it's up to you.

If you're going for a Physical Attacker, Goruugo(Golurk) can pull it off much better, and he can get No Guard / Iron Fist and Rock Polish.

Golurk @ Expert Belt___No Guard
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Rock Polish
~Dynamic Punch
~Shadow Punch
~Earthquake

Here's the stats (HP / Atk / Spe) : Dusknoir=294 / 328 / 126 Golurk= 320 / 381 / 209. Dusknoir isn't really serving as a defender, so Golurk could easily fulfill his role better, and with a wonderful STAB Earthquake.

Roobushin definetley benefits more from Payback over Stone Edge for better coverage, while Stone Edge's poor accuracy is a let down if you have to worry about a burn widdling you down.

While the Hydreigon set is fine, the extra HP evs need to go into Speed (for 252 total Speed EVS) to outspeed alot of threats that would otherwise be faster than you.

Well, that's all for now. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking to damage much with Amoonguss so I think I'm going to stick with Clear Smog - it's secondary stat clearing effect is invaluable especially if I already have Spored something.

I don't think Swampert and Quagsire outclass Gastrodon. They all do different things. Swampert is vulnerable to Water attacks which Gastrodon can switch into with impunity. Although his stats are all around better, Gastrodon has reliable recovery as well. I'd say he could be compared more readily to Quagsire as they both have abilities that allow them take Water attacks. Gastrodon's added bulk and strength however is what has me picking him over Quagsire.

I have considered running Golurk on the team but his lack of priority and added weaknesses to Ice, Grass, and Water have me turned off from him.

For Hydreigon, his troll speed prevents him from outspeeding a lot of important guys. With the EVs and nature he can outspeed neutral base 100s and Jolly/Timid Lucario. He's really only missing out outspeeding other Hydreigon, which I wouldn't keep him in on anyways. Also, the 60 Atk EVs ensure that he 2HKOs Blissey with Outrage.

Hi,

Interesting team. With Chansey's new tool Evolution Stone you aren't seeing as many Blissey's running around. The difference is that Chansey can take physical hits A LOT more easily. Thats why I recommend either putting them in speed or HP.

I don't understand your aim with Dusknoir. A Choice Band'ed bulky Pokemon is what I think your trying to do. I would try running a Golurk like everyone has suggested. A SubPunch set or CB set work fine. Conkeldurr is fine. Leave Stone Edge on.

Your Heatran might benefit by using Overheat. Noone with half a brain is going to switch in anything else weak to Fire after you use Overheat. It also has better accuracy. Dark Pulse really isn't doing anything when you have Overheat that can hit Ghosts harder. I suggest using Stealth Rock's. Whiile Stealth Rocks on a Choie set may seem weird your team really is lacking entry hazards.

Gastrodon doesn't compete with Unaware Curse Quagsire. Unaware means you don't have to fear other stat boosters, Curse gives you more boosts than Storm Drain would ever and with Recover and EQ and Waterfall it is great. Same x4 weakness to Grass so obviously keep away from Grass moves or slap on a Grass weakening berry.

name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Recover
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Waterfall / Stone Edge
item: Leftovers
ability: Unaware
nature: Impish
evs.: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

With Quagsire you won't really need Clear Smog on Mushroom kid and can switch it for something like Toxic.

Good luck!

Hi,

Interesting team. With Chansey's new tool Evolution Stone you aren't seeing as many Blissey's running around. The difference is that Chansey can take physical hits A LOT more easily. Thats why I recommend either putting them in speed or HP.

I don't understand your aim with Dusknoir. A Choice Band'ed bulky Pokemon is what I think your trying to do. I would try running a Golurk like everyone has suggested. A SubPunch set or CB set work fine. Conkeldurr is fine. Leave Stone Edge on.

Your Heatran might benefit by using Overheat. Noone with half a brain is going to switch in anything else weak to Fire after you use Overheat. It also has better accuracy. Dark Pulse really isn't doing anything when you have Overheat that can hit Ghosts harder. I suggest using Stealth Rock's. Whiile Stealth Rocks on a Choie set may seem weird your team really is lacking entry hazards.

Gastrodon doesn't compete with Unaware Curse Quagsire. Unaware means you don't have to fear other stat boosters, Curse gives you more boosts than Storm Drain would ever and with Recover and EQ and Waterfall it is great. Same x4 weakness to Grass so obviously keep away from Grass moves or slap on a Grass weakening berry.

name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Recover
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Waterfall / Stone Edge
item: Leftovers
ability: Unaware
nature: Impish
evs.: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

With Quagsire you won't really need Clear Smog on Mushroom kid and can switch it for something like Toxic.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I actually haven't faced too many Chansey, but any that I do see Conkeldurr and Dusknoir threaten immediately.

I'll give Golurk some testing. He seems interesting enough, however Dusknoir's surprise factor and specific moves have proved insanely valuable.

I don't think I'd want to run Overheat on Heatran as the special attack drop would require more switching than I'd like. A lot of the time 2 Fire Blasts will take out a foe and I'm not sure if that would be the same if I used Overheat. However, the point you make about Overheat being stronger than a 2x Dark Pulse has me thinking - mainly because a STAB Fire Blast (BP 180) is stronger than a 2x Dark Pulse (BP 160). This makes me tempted to indeed switch it out with either HP Ice or HP Grass.

I'll also try to test out Quagsire as well.

EDIT:

Quick question. You check your ranking on the Smogon server by typing '/ranking' correct? If so, this team has now gotten me to 18/15086.

I've yet to test Golurk, but Quagsire has proved to be less helpful that I thought he'd be. His neutrality to water kind of does him in for me and I don't see a reason to use Water absorb Quagsire over Storm Drain Gastrodon. The healing on coming in is nice, but I find the special attack boost more helpful as it makes Gastro actually an offensive threat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)