Should have had a Sash (5th Gen)

For the last week or so I have had an idea for a team to try out some 5th gen stuff. I thought a good place to start would be weather team and with Swift Swim and Drizzle not being allowed on the same team, sunny day seemed like the most fun. So here it is.

Ninetales @ Wide Lens
Ability: Drought
Nature: Timid
EVs: 184 HP/ 104 SpD/ 220 Spe
Moveset:
~Will-O-Wisp
~Hypnosis
~Solar Beam
~Fire Blast

Ninetales mostly acts as a way to give me some space to set up get a free switch in to a sweeper like Venasaur or Sawsbuck. Will-O-Wisp is there to decimate physical attackers as well as give me some damage on walls so they can't...well wall me. Hypnosis as mentioned earlier gives me a a turn or so to set up my real game plan. Now the odd pick, Solar Beam.
Yes I know people can switch into Tyranitar when I use it and i'm screwed but that's why I don't use against that team (usually) Solarbeam's main purpose is to take Swampert leads and occasionally Politoads...or Politoad cuz yeah only happened once because for some reason I had sunlight and he didn't have rain. Last is Fire Blast gives this lovely some fighting power if need be.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chloropyll
Nature: Modest
EVs: 40 HP/ 252 SpA/ 216 Spe
Moveset:
~Growth
~Giga Drain
~Sludge Bomb
~Hidden Power: Fire

I saw a team with this guy walk all over me, and he sold me on this set. Mostly Growth, which raises 2 steps in sunlight meaning Venusaur one hits just about everything. Giga Drain is there to stop me from dying to my own Life Orb as well as a powerful STAB move that pisses of my opponent. Sludge Bomb is the same thing minus the health it is my primary attack if all of attacks are resisted or even just all nuetral. Finnally Hidden Power Fire was added more recently when I found myself on the road to sweep when Nattorei comes in and forces a switch to Sawsbuck or Blaziken giving them a chace to get back into the game.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Adament
EVs: HP 4/ Atk 252/ Spe 252
Moveset:
~Swords Dance
~Return
~Wood Horn
~Jump Kick

Originally I didn't have this guy on my team a friend of mine and I were testing a bit and he mentioned him me with my very limited 5th gen experience spent the next like half hour checking on how I could make him work and it really wasn't hard, he is basically like a physical Venusaur.
Swords Dance just makes him kill EVERYTHING. Return is his most common move to use 102 power and STAB can kill a lot of things. Wood Horn works like Giga Drain in the fact that it is a STAB move that helps me not die. and Jump Kick lets me kill Blissey and Nattorei and some other things but those are mostly what im using it on.

Cresselia @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 24 SpD/ 232 Spe
Moveset:
~Reflect
~Light Screen
~Lunar Dance
~Moonlight

To be honest I love the dual screen. I don't like my innability to attack and lack of the knowledge to fix it. simple as that, only thing this lady does is lay up screen and later in the game help one of my heavy hitters out.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Adament
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Moveset:
~Swords Dance
~Hi Jump Kick
~Blaze Kick
~Stone Edge

As soon as I saw this guys DW ability I just had to use him. it was worth it. I get to take out grass types, flying types, steel, ice, rock. It's just so crazy. He really does everything and after a couple turns does it faster than ANYTHING he would be hitting.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Moveset:
~Stealth Rock
~Fire Blast
~Earth Power
~Dragon Pulse

This guy is almost filler he only has 2 uses. Those being eat fire attacks from my 2 grass types and killing Dragons. He has Leftovers so he can take 2 or 3 attacks before dying while a usually 2HKO any dragon. Stealth Rocks aren't even used half the time I might have used it once, but it seems wrong to not have them there.

Don't think you need Sawsbuck and Blaziken on the same team, but thats just me. Also I love the Venusaur set as its given me a ton of trouble.

Don't think you need Sawsbuck and Blaziken on the same team, but thats just me. Also I love the Venusaur set as its given me a ton of trouble.
I was thinking the same thing til I realised that Blaziken is my only duder that can take on fliers who sweep my whole team..

That being said, if I were you I'd replace Sawsbuck with Shiftry (thats just me though) just to give yourself a smaller window of weaknesses.

Hi jump kick is 130 base power STAB move on blaziken use that. Flare blitz is 120 Base power STAB in sun thats 240 against nattorei 960. 'nuff said there.
Shiftry can more or less take out this metagame with Low Kick Dark Pulse HP fire and Leaf storm, so i agree with Ryan Tcone there. Your not using Heatran with SR with a shuca berry? something wrong there you might wanna switch to a bulkier tran

Tran @ Leftovers
244 HP 180 SP DEF 84 SP ATK
Sub
Wilo/Protect
SR/Roar/EarthPower/Torment
Flamethrower/Lava Plume

sub will make them think your offensive, wilo will lower their attack so you can sub on them and not break [which is why your pumped in sp def] Lava Plume incase you want protect to gain lefties stall burn etc, while flamethrower is more powerful in the sun. You can use fire Blast to still psych them out your offensive but i wouldn't go for it.

Considering I had a huge preference towards running the obscure, I'll make a few suggestions that are more fun to play with than anything else

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Relaxed/Impish Nature, Own Tempo
HP: 252, Atk: 126 SpeD: 130
Swagger
Explosion
Power Whip
Return

Pretty simple, swagger him up using own tempo to prevent confusion and run the table with explosion as a last resort

Camerupt@Life Orb
Nature: Adamant, Ability: Solid Rock
HP: 4, Atk: 252, Def: 252
Eruption
Solarbeam
HP Water/Electric
Stone Edge

Bulky tank, I used him primarily in doubles but he can do some damage in singles too. Not much to explain here.

As per usual, I'll give this Sun team a rate, even though it looks to be one of the most solid I've seen recently.

However, you probably see this coming, but your weak link is most certainly Ninetales, which you don't want when most of your team relies on it. Solarbeam is a bad choice on Tales, simply put. Yes you aren't dumb enough to use when they have a TTar like some people would be, but against every other weather team you essentially confine yourself to 3 moveslots, which is very far from ideal. And even against those without weather, what are you hitting that would like an Energy Ball? EB will maim Swampert just as badly, and revenge Kabutops (not like it's common now) fine too. Politoed should not be staying in on you if for whatever reason you manage to switch into it, making it useless for that purpose (especially given the Flying, Dragon and Grass types Rain runs). EB > Solarbeam.

Now onto other things with Tales. Essentially, you have no wy of preventing SR and no recovery, meaning Tales (and by extension your whole team) is thoroughly boned if, when against another weather, it has to switch into SR 5 times, or less if coming into an attack. For this reason I'd recommend at least replacing Wide Lens with Lefties, but preferably running ChestoRest instead, making you far more durable than any other inducer aside from Hippowdon. I'd drop Hypnosis, given its poor accuracy, but it's up to you. If this leaves you with a bit of an issue with things that can take both FB and WoW, try one of two things over EB - Toxic, crippling Bulky waters and hampering enemy fire type's sweeps a lot, or HP Fight, letting you chip away at TTars more after hitting them with WoW the first time they come in, as well as letting you actually hit Heatran. Protect could be used I guess, but no reason to make yourself even bigger setup fodder.

Now, the rest of your team is pretty darn good actually; on Venu and Sawsbuck just check the speed tiers for this gen here and pick something to outspeed, letting you invest a few EVs in bulk (don't use HP for those looking to drain HP). Giga Drain is currently illegal on Venusaur with Chlorophyll in OU/Wifi, so look out for that and use EB instead (doesn't really matter). Sawsbuck can beat everything it needs to with Adamant, so consider running that instead.

On Cress, I really would advocate running an attack over Moonlight. Recovery is nice, but after screening once you'll probably have torn through the enemy team, meaning all you need to do is Lunar Dance something the enemy though was on low health up to win (and Cress can easily do this on middle/low health). This will abate your Dragon issues if you use Ice Beam, as in a pinch Cress can take a DM or Outrage for your team. Psychic could also be used for STAB and to help beat Conkeldurr etc.

Blaziken is good, but you probably should go for his more powerful moves to help you blast enormous holes in the opponent in Sun. Lunar Dance can be used to revive him, so the recoil will matter a lot less. Wide Lens could be used over LO since in Sun FB will kill a ton, but it's down to preference really.

Tran I'd follow the above advice and go for a Balloon, letting you safely set SR or come in on opposing Trans more easily (who give your team large issues). Consider HP Ice over DP, as it hits all but the Latis and Hydreigon harder, though if you can deal with them okay HP Fight would be helpful to hit opposing Balloontrans and TTars. If using HP ICe remember to not lower your Spe btw.

Good luck with this team anyway, it should serve you well.

ANy chance I can get a link to where it says Venusaur can't have Giga Drain? I have looked around for a while now and haven't found anything Also team updated

ANy chance I can get a link to where it says Venusaur can't have Giga Drain? I have looked around for a while now and haven't found anything Also team updated
Basically it's cos the DW Bulbasaur hasn't been released online, only by event, and all these evant poes were male (so no egg moves, sadly). No link, sorry. PO may not have implemented this change yet, so use it until they do if you like. And seriously, drop Solarbeam on Tales.

Basically it's cos the DW Bulbasaur hasn't been released online, only by event, and all these evant poes were male (so no egg moves, sadly). No link, sorry. PO may not have implemented this change yet, so use it until they do if you like. And seriously, drop Solarbeam on Tales.
Im getting some matches in with the team with some new changes before I make more revisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)