Moody (Ubers Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yawn

Latias was called "overcentralizing" in OU yet it wasn't #1 and the usage was less than 30% IRCC. Even then, it was enough to ban her from OU. Now, Kyogre has always been #1 in the uber usage (never dropping 40%) and it has never been accused of being "broken". A single ability only available by 2 pokes (not the greatest pokes either) is being banned because it's too broken? Gimme a break. At least check the usage of Octillery in the last two months and see if it even makes it to top 10 and then you can call it "overcentralized". The fact that a handful of noobs are using it with moderate success is enough for "good" players to become threatened enough to just ban it in the most elitist way ("I'm top 5, I make the rules" Wonder who they benefit with those rules). "OMG I have to include a Celebi with Perish Song or an Arceus with Perish Song otherwise I'm gonna bitch about it" You guys make me laugh.

Encore/Taunt, T-Spikes, Haze, Perish Song, even Psych Up (lol). I have lost to Octillery more than once before and the only thing that came out of those "unfair" battles was just me trying to counter it with a single moveslot. Not whining on the forums. If people would tell me that Octillery is the #3 pokemon used in the uber ladder then, yes, we would have to do something. But because this tier is managed the way OU is also managed, it is "being taken care of" by one or two players.

Please, how can inconsistent "easily backfire" to the user?
The most you do is lose one Pokemon (which admittedly is important), but in return, you gain a 14% chance (assuming you just blindly switch it in) to sweep the opponent's team.

This quote is basically my argument against Inconsistent:
That being said, the risk entailed is highly disproportional to the potential reward; thus, because it is so simple to use, and because it has such a huge payoff, it heavily waters down the skill of those with good risk management: anyone with even barely a grasp on the rudiments of risk management can abuse the risk properties of Inconsistent and win matches. And because abusing Inconsistent is based almost solely on risk management, therefore relying less on strategy, its success is also detrimental to strategic thinking. Note that while some level of strategy may be necessary to set up an Inconsistent sweep, the execution, the crux of Inconsistent abuse, is almost purely "luck"-based.

So in essence, because Inconsistent is a strategy that does not reward good play from either a strategic or risk management perspective, it should be banned.

yawn

Latias was called "overcentralizing" in OU yet it wasn't #1 and the usage was less than 30% IRCC. Even then, it was enough to ban her from OU. Now, Kyogre has always been #1 in the uber usage (never dropping 40%) and it has never been accused of being "broken". A single ability only available by 2 pokes (not the greatest pokes either) is being banned because it's too broken? Gimme a break. At least check the usage of Octillery in the last two months and see if it even makes it to top 10 and then you can call it "overcentralized". The fact that a handful of noobs are using it with moderate success is enough for "good" players to become threatened enough to just ban it in the most elitist way ("I'm top 5, I make the rules" Wonder who they benefit with those rules). "OMG I have to include a Celebi with Perish Song or an Arceus with Perish Song otherwise I'm gonna bitch about it" You guys make me laugh.

Encore/Taunt, T-Spikes, Haze, Perish Song, even Psych Up (lol). I have lost to Octillery more than once before and the only thing that came out of those "unfair" battles was just me trying to counter it with a single moveslot. Not whining on the forums. If people would tell me that Octillery is the #3 pokemon used in the uber ladder then, yes, we would have to do something. But because this tier is managed the way OU is also managed, it is "being taken care of" by one or two players.
IMO inconsistent is very centralising. More people used inconsistent Smeargle then Giratina, Blissey or Scizor. It's on roughly 1 in every 20 teams.
In wifi ubers without Inconsistent , smeargle is at 6x less usage.

Tbh it doesnt matter how overcentralising it is, its about the power level and how luck based it makes the game. If evasion was unbanned it wouldnt be on every team, because of players whod rather play with a regualr non-hax based team, but the counters you'd need to carry for it would be very obscure. This is the exact way Inconsistent works, most good players prefer not to run it, in favour of running a skill-based team, but it is still very difficult to counter, especially if any good player decides to use.

Encore/Taunt, T-Spikes, Haze, Perish Song, even Psych Up (lol).
Encore/Taunt can MISS which makes them quite unreliable and they doesn't actually stop Inconsistent since you can just wait the 3 turns getting more boosts. T-Spikes isn't reliable since Inconsistent teams carry absorbers/spinners and its obvious if T-Spikes are going to come out(Does your team have Forry or Tentacruel? If yes there will be toxic spikes). This leaves Haze, Perish Song, and Psych Up and Inconsistent being as it is, you're forced to keep that poke alive. Have you looked at the Haze users? All of them are quite bad sans maybe Quagsire or Tentacruel and even then they can't actually threaten back meaning the inconsistent poke will probably beat them 1 on 1. Perish Song is only worth using on Arceus but that forces you to run a defensive Arceus. That's not a moveslot change, that's a complete change to the moveset. And Psych Up is pretty bad outside of this niche roll and really cuts coverage. The only poke that can use Psych Up as an effective 'counter' to inconsistent without crippling itself in someway is Mewtwo if you use it over Calm Mind.

OK, so Inconsistent is banned on the Beta Server now in Ubers, just to let you all know. Hopefully Smogon will soon follow.

I'd like inconsistent to go through the same process as LC and Suspect testings though just for the "fairness".

jrp

Banned deucer.
Which is not true at all.
Mewtwo
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina

Hardly "everything and their mother'

Plus, it's not exactly a stellar move

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Inconsistent in ubers is hardly gamebreaking when everything and their mom carries Aura Sphere.
Aura Sphere just does not cut it as an Inconsistent counter. Smeargle will eventually just BP away before it dies (unless it gets really unlucky with the Speed stat), Bibarel is almost nowhere to be seen, and Octillery can either:

1. make subs that aren't broken by Aura Sphere (with SpD boosts)
2. attack directly (with sufficient offensive boosts)
3. inflict Toxic, (except to Dialga, of course)
4. switch out and try again later

All of these can screw an offensive pokémon over pretty badly, especially considering the Inconsistent user will still live to tell the tale.

Suspect test is the best way to go about it. To all the people who go "ZOMG ITS UBERS NOTHING SHOULD BE BANNED", it's a game. The point of a game is to have fun. Inconsistent makes the game the exact opposite. Plus there's the whole brokenly retarded thing.

It's called Moody now. (recalls the 'Moody Bidoof' joke)

Aura Sphere is not really common in ubers anyway since Dialga/Palkia/Giratina rarely runs it. Mewtwo may occasionally run it, if its running choice(since non-choiced Mewtwo has to choose between Aura Sphere, Thunder, Flamethrower or Shadow Ball for the third move), but choice sets face competition with Trick anyway. Mew has better things to do than Aura Sphere(read: Rock Polish, Dual Screens, etc) and Raikou isn't even common in Ubers(much less an extremely odd choice for a uber).

All Smeargle needs is a Speed or Evasion boost from Moody, in order to allow him to Spore some shit and Baton Pass away.

jrp

Banned deucer.
Ubers can not deal with it better. An evasion boost in ubers is the same as an evasion boost in OU. Moody (god I hate that name) is probably MORE threatening in ubers, as you now have a ton of massive powerhouses that would love an evasion boost, expecially considering all the inaccurate moves in ubers (blue flare, lightning strike, seed flare, ect).
get smeargle to baton pass those boosts to a swords dance arceus or groudon. you're basically screwed, no questions asked.

Ubers is not supposed to be centralized. It should not be banned, the only pokemon who can have the ablility stink. This is my counter to inconsistent. Switch to a choice pokemon or revenge killer or something of the sort and use a move and guess what. It KO's. We should try to ban as little as possible from ubers and inconsistent is hardly ever used and is not that effective period.

jrp

Banned deucer.
The thing i have an issue with is smeargle. That bitch can pass evasion boosts to anything in ubers, including the horribly threatening sweepers in the tier.
Imagine a +6 Evasion Rayquaza or Darkrai or anything behind a substitute. Imagine them with any of the available boosts.

Even though Smeargle is easily the most dangerous of the Inconsistent pokemon (not just Baton Pass but Assist Power as well) the others are just as threatening. If you dont have something carrying roar/whirlwind (and almost everything uses Dragon Tail this gen) once they have a sub up its practically game over. In addition to this Glalie has access to Taunt and Ice Breath making it almost impossible to stop. Bibarel also has taunt but its dual stabs alone are threatening enough. Octillery, while probably the worst Inconsistent user is still incredibly hard to stop after it has a sub up, since it becomes so hard to stop it accumulating boosts then sweeping your team.

Besides, smeargle and glaile aren't even released yet. However, I'd say it is safe to say that anything with inconsistent is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)