Excellence of Execution

Excellence of Execution

Introduction​

Hey, I'm The LegendKiller, and welcome to my first Standard Gen. 5 OU RMT. Throughout the time I've been playing Pokemon competitively, I've been a player of the bulky offense style. This generation I made a handful of teams, most of them being Sandstorm teams with sweepers such as Excadrill and Landorus. Although these teams were doing great on ladder, they were getting a bit too boring, so I decided to try something new. A week ago I stumbled upon the Deoxys-S analysis in the C&C department, and took interest in a Deoxys-S set a Quality Control member posted, but was ignored. This was the unorthodox Life Orb attacker Deoxys-S. I knew with a blinding speed and perfect coverage it would be a force to reckon with. Then I turned my sights to another forgotten yet potent threat, Swords Dance Lucario. Both had a way of hurting each others checks, they had pretty good typing synergy, so why not? The team was built around this offensive duo to soften up the opposition so Deoxys-S and Lucario can come in and wreck havoc. Now by soften up the team, I don't mean just using sheer force to weaken them out, but by using entry hazards as well. The only thing is, Deoxys-S isn't the one setting them up. This team came to be after many failed attempts to build a Deoxys-S team, the earliest version being a team my friend gave me, and I simply replaced his Kasib Berry + SR Mew with LO Deoxys-S, and decided to undergo the option of Stealth Rock. The team itself has gotten me pretty high in the PO and Smogon Server rankings under the alt "Goldberg". However the team does suffer from some flaws, and this is where I need your help.

At a Glance:

In Depth:

Tyranitar (F) @ Chople Berry|

Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)

- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

EVs and Nature:

The EVs and Nature have become the standard for Lead Tyranitar. The HP + SDef EVs allow it to switch into Specially orientated threats such as Latios, Latias, and Burungeru easier. The small investment in Special Attack and Quiet Nature guarantees an OHKO on Nattorei with Fire Blast.

Moveset:

Deoxys-S really needs Burungeru, Latios, and Latias either removed from the scene or weakened, and this is what Tyranitar can do pretty easily. Burungeru tend to stay in on the behemoth and go for Will-O-Wisp, only to get 2HKOed by Crunch, as Tyranitar shrugs off the burn. Specs Latios locked into Hidden Power Fire, -2 Draco Meteor, Psycho Shock is trapped and killed, and so are Calm Mind variants of its little sister. Stealth Rock is standard, as I don't have anyone else to set it up, and Fire Blast to maim cocky Scizor switchins, Ferrorthorn and Skarmory thinking they're the shit. Really though, there's a bunch of stuff I've been considering in this spot. Most of the time, I find Tyranitar going down too early when I need it for weather changing, so I'm thinking about Leftovers over Lum Berry, or even Chesto Berry + Rest. I also find myself missing Superpower when Heatran comes out, as I don't have a move to hit it for decent damage. Nevertheless, every other member bar Skarmory has a way past the fire toad. Reuniclus is also problematic for this team, and Chople Berry alleviates that somewhat. Tyranitar can live a Focus Blast and 2HKO with Crunch.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers |

Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

EVs and Nature:

A little different than the standard spread but basically I decided to give it 56 SDef and a Careful nature to balance out and improve its crappy Special Defense. The HP and Defense is to take on a myriad of Physical Attackers, such as, Excadrill, Landorus, Garchomp, Breloom, the list goes on...

Moveset:

I'm a lazy guy, so instead of finding separate checks and counters for the main Physical threats, I decided to put Skarmory on the team to take care of them all. But the main reason was a better Dragon- type resist, and something sturdy (see what I did there) to set up Spikes, so Latios, Lucario and Deoxys-S can wreck havoc. Spikes and Roost are standard fare on Skarmory, it needs the recovery to last long and take on random Physical attacks. If you're not going to use Spikes + Roost on Skarmory, you're doing something wrong. Due to this guy's incredible Defense, teams left with grounded Physical attackers, I just Whirlwind them around and around while they manage to do pitiful amounts of damage to Skarmory, and eventually go down to entry hazard damage. Brave Bird is there to take on SD Virizion better, not just pHaze it but do upwards 60% with BB. Late game Skarmory works as death fodder, and I usually sacrifice it late game so another member could clean up the mess. Tentacruel / Starmie / Excadrill are huge dicks carrying Rapid Spin and wasting Skarmory's hard work. Starmie can be killed by Tyranitar and I find Tentacruel staying in on Garchomp just to get killed by Earthquake, but Rapid Spin Excadrill is ugh -_-

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs |

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick
- Surf

EVs and Nature:

Pretty standard stuff; 252 SAtk for maximum damage input, 252 Spe + Timid to tie with other base 110s such as Gengar, and to outpace everything below the 110 Spe Tier, Terakion, Garchomp, etc.

Moveset:

A few months ago Kevin Garret popularized the code of arranging your team using numbers. #1-2 being your lead and lead support, #3-5 being your initial core, which is where Latios falls under. This beast can come in on troublesome Heatran trying to scare Skarmory, Earthquake locked Garchomp and a bunch of stuff to crack the mid game wide open with the powerful Draco Meteors. Spikes are a great asset to Latios as it weakens out his main checks, Scizor and Tyranitar. After 3 layers and Stealth Rock, none of them will like a Draco Meteor to the face (assuming they switch into it), and won't be able to take it as well as they should be. Draco Meteor is a powerful move and is an obvious move on Latios, whereas Psycho Shock allows it to take down the abundant Fighting- types in the metagame, namely Calm Mind Virizion, whose boosts are bypassed and is hit with a Super Effective attack on its weaker Defense stat. Hidden Power Fire is to lure in and kill Scizor and destroy Ferrorthorn, because for some reason they love staying in on Latios when the expression on his face clearly says "yo I'm carryin HP Fire". I've been considering CM Latias to take on Reuniclus better, and even LO Latios for reliable recovery, as its useful resistances are a big help in battles, so it'd be beneficial to have it last longer via Recover.

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf |

Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

EVs and Nature:

Simple spread, 252 + Jolly to outspeed +1 Base 100 Speed Pokemon, mainly Volcarona, and everything else it can outspeed with 499 speed. 252 Atk to cause the maximum amount of damage to whatever the hell it's revenge killing (Thunderus, Tornadus, Haxorus, Latios, Latias, etc.).

Moveset:

The Smog's manliest Pokemon of 2010, and for good reason. Garchomp is my catch all Pokemon taking out any threats my team can't handle itself. Such threats are, Volcarona, Thunderus, Blaziken (after a Speed boost), etc. It also provides a very useful immunity to Thunder Wave, as the #3-5 of my team hate Paralysis. Overall a real team player, one with great bulk even with no investment, and great offensive abilities. Earthquake is to revenge Tyranitar, Blaziken [Insert Ground- weak Pokemon here], but there aren't a great deal of stat boosters that can be revenged by Earthquake, it's just an all round good STAB move. Outrage is rarely used, but when it is used, it's in the mid game and causes good amounts of damage when coupled with entry hazards, and to revenge Mixed / DD Salamence and Dragonite. Stone Edge is the most used move on the set, revenging Thunderus and Volcarona mainly. Dragon Claw is used late game when I have the game in my hands, and don't want to fall back on Outrage due to the confusion.

Lucario (F) @ Life Orb |

Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- ExtremeSpeed

EVs and Nature:
252 Atk + Adamant for maximum damage input on the Physical spectrum, and 252 Spe because it's Lucario and he needs all the speed he can get to outspeed things like neutral nature Rotom-A, and Gliscor, who is KOed by +2 Stone Edge at around 60% health (nowadays Gliscor runs Impish with about 36 Spe, which is outran pretty easily).

Moveset:

Lucario was one of the best late game cleaners in the fourth generation, but it's been forgotten nowadays in favor for sweepers such as Excadrill, Randorus, Blaziken. Nothing much changed about Lucario from the last generation, and nothing needed to be changed. Lucario comes in when a Tyranitar or Scizor pop up to trap and kill Latios. After a Swords Dance boost, it becomes an absolute monster, picking off slow foes with +2 Close Combat and Stone Edge, whereas faster threats such as Latios and Landorous are handled by boosted Extremespeed. It's Speed is a bit of a let down since there are faster threats who can't be OHKOed by Extremespeed (Scarf Terrakion, Scarf Garchomp), but I'm not worried too much about that since Lucario usually is the one to wreck Stall teams. Burungeru usually is the one member on Stall teams that's a bit hard to get by, but if Tyranitar has trapped and killed it, there aren't any issues. Blissey, Skarmory, Nattorei, Latias all fall to the power of Lucario's boosted attacks on Stall teams.

Deoxys-S @ Life Orb |

Trait: Pressure
EVs: 12 Atk / 240 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)

- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Fire] /
Psycho Boost

EVs and Nature:

12 Atk to always OHKO a full health Tyranitar, with the rest dumped in Special Attack. 252 Spe + Naive to outspeed everything up to Choice Scarf Garchomp and below.

Moveset:

And here we have the star of the sh-, never mind, I don't want to be the 1,000th person to use that line. Anyway, before you go "Meh, this shit is so weak", trust me, it isn't. After entry hazards have done their job, everything that needs to be weakened has been weakened, then Deoxys-S comes in to have some fun. Opponents usually go o_o when they see Deoxys and Skarmory on the same team, but once the killing begins then they go "WTF?! LO DEOXYS?! LOL!" Since it is a very rare threat, people also don't know which moves it's carrying. People send in Tyranitar in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, it's not carrying Superpower. Some people even send in Scizor to Bug Bite or Pursuit (God knows why none of them Bullet Punch..) only to be taken down by Hidden Power Fire. Once Deoxys kills something, I usually see Scarf Garchomp come out thinking it's cute and can revenge kill me, only to be outsped and destroyed by Ice Beam. Sometimes I even used Deoxys-S to revenge kill. Like Gyarados for example. They Dragon Dance on Garchomp's Earthquake, I send in Deoxys-S and take them out with Thunderbolt and the opponent is like ":O". Seriously, people underestimate this guy's Speed, thinking just because they have a Choice Scarf they are the fastest thing on the planet. I also hear people saying that Deoxys-S has piss poor attacking abilities, don't use him as a sweeper. Attacking power isn't everything, coverage matters, and so does the Speed of the sweeper, and how you support it is what matters. A sweeper with sky high attacking stats and poor coverage as well as crappy Speed isn't going to get far. Usually with Deoxys I'm on a timer, if the opponent has 4 Pokemon remaining and Deoxys has only a few more rounds of Life Orb recoil until it goes down, it's usually able to pull it off. I've been thinking about Psycho Boost over Hidden Power Fire, since Scizor is down by the time Deoxys comes in. Psycho Boost really is a true force being a 140 base power STAB that Deoxys-S can fall back on against things like Conkeldurr, but the -2 SAtk drop sucks. All in all, definitely the MVP of the team, and a potent threat to unprepared teams, especially Offensive teams.

Threats:

Rotom-W: Pretty tough to break through if Latios is down or weakened out. I wish it was still a Ghost- type so Tyranitar could get rid off it, but now with only one weakness to Grass- type moves, a type that no other member carries, and good bulk it is tough to beat. Especially since it can render Tyranitar (if it has consumed its Lum Berry), Garchomp and Lucario useless with Will-O-Wisp. Hit Deoxys and Latios with Shadow Ball, and Skarmory with Thunderbolt.

Reuniclus: I used to laugh at this thing, saying it'll never be a threat, I was proven wrong. Reuniclus can switch in on -2 Latios locked into Draco Meteor or on Psycho Shock, and pretty much wreck the team after a Calm Mind. 252 / 252 variants take maximum about 50% or so from Tyranitar's Crunch, and KO back with boosted Focus Blast. Lucario and Garchomp also fail to do enough damage. It also takes nothing from the entry hazards set-up, so it's hard to wear down.

Quagsire: Thank God it's uncommon, it's a bitch to take down if Latios has been weakened or is down. It has recover to shrug off the residual damage, and can hit Tyranitar / Lucario / Garchomp Super Effectively with Boiling Water / Ice Beam. Skarmory isn't too bulky on the Special Defense specturm and takes around 30% from Boiling Water, 40% if it's burned, it can pHaze at most, and the ugly blob can just Recover off health. Deoxys-S also faces problems as it can't land a Super Effective hit on this thing, while the little twerp can Toxic Stall with Toxic + Recover, or hurt with Boiling Water.

Espeon: An all around pain to deal with, especially if it's carrying Hidden Power Fighting for Tyranitar. It loves to switch in on Skarmory, bounce the Spikes back and cause Skarmory to pHaze itself if it uses Whirlwind. If it's faster than Latios it can hit it with Shadow Ball for good damage. My main way of dealing with it is keep launching powerful attacks to not allow it an opening to switch in, and until it's removed, I won't get my entry hazards up.

Conclusion:

That's pretty much it, hope you enjoyed reading my RMT, I definitely enjoyed creating the team, playing with it, and creating this RMT. I appreciate any advice and feedback you can give and will test suggestions then give back the results I got. Credit to Floatzel.net for the Black and White Sprites, to Pearlsaurus and Pokebeach.com for the pictures in the Indepth analysis.

Thanks for reading, Rate / Hate / Steal ! :)

As you are most like using Ttars Fire Blast to things which are weak in terms of SDef and anything you can hit 4 times effective, why not change your Ttar to..

Espeon and Reuniclus are both grade A arseholes who can be hit considerably harder if you run this set. it will also help when trapping Ghost or Psychic types.

Also, Brave does between 65% - 75% to Espeon so if you know it's there. it may be worth damaging it if it's coming in.

Sturdy over Keen Eye over Skarmory please.

Keen Eye does basically nothing while Sturdy can actually allow Skarm to survive a freak Fire Blast or something.

As you are most like using Ttars Fire Blast to things which are weak in terms of SDef and anything you can hit 4 times effective, why not change your Ttar to..

Espeon and Reuniclus are both grade A arseholes who can be hit considerably harder if you run this set. it will also help when trapping Ghost or Psychic types.

Also, Brave does between 65% - 75% to Espeon so if you know it's there. it may be worth damaging it if it's coming in.
That looks like a good EV spread, but I won't be OHKOing Ferrothorn as easily. Even with 188 SAtk the bastard can survive the Fire Blast, but it does help against Jellicent and Reuniclus, so I will test.

Sturdy over Keen Eye over Skarmory please.

Keen Eye does basically nothing while Sturdy can actually allow Skarm to survive a freak Fire Blast or something.

Whoops, forgot that, editing.

I meant to say Brave Bird above with reference to Espeon coming in on Skarmory. Yeah Ferrothorn is surprisingly bulky on the special side. Full Health I had him take a Flamethrower from Scarf Shandera..

Thanks for clarifying. The 188 Atk is really helpful, because now Espeon is taking a hefty chunk from Pursuit even if it doesn't switch. Nattorei used to survive with 3% when I used 188 SAtk, and now survives with 10% with no SAtk investment, so there isn't a huge loss in power for Fire Blast.

Hi there :D

Inetersting team. I have a question though. Is sandstorm to prevent other weather teams or are you looking at abusing it. Becuase the only Pokes which are are TTar, Skarm and Lucario and they're all only getting SpD boosts. If you are looking at abusing it you could try a Randorosu?? His ability to increase the power of Rock and Ground moves which are already strong as it is is why he's so feared. CS or Rock Polish sets work. But thats up to you.

Sometimes you can bluff Pursuit Psychic Pokemon, usually thinking that there is Pursuit coming so they attack you. I don't know what you want to do but I would say that Pursuit isn't really necessary, seeing as how usually they predict it.

Latios would rather have Trick than Psycho Shock. DM + HP [Fire] + Surf already gets flawless coverage and I see youre aiming at Chansey and Blissey with Psycho Shock but in all honesty Psycho Shock doesn't hurt them as much as you thought. If you use Trick, they lose their ability to:

Chansey - even wall anymore, without EVO stone it is weak
Blissey - effectively wall and annoy, without choice they usually Softboil and not Seisic TOss you.

Have you tried Fire Blast on Garchomp over Stone Edge? It works well for me but its really up to you.

Also you might want to try a specially based Lucario and see how that works on this team.

I really like that Deoxys. I can definately see with Spikes + SR support it KO'ing an entire team.

Also if you wouldn't mind could you RMT? PLEASE:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86597

Anyway good luck

I lovelovelove this team, I genuinely tried to sit down and think of suggestions but came up blank. How has this team tested?

Hi there :D

Inetersting team. I have a question though. Is sandstorm to prevent other weather teams or are you looking at abusing it. Becuase the only Pokes which are are TTar, Skarm and Lucario and they're all only getting SpD boosts. If you are looking at abusing it you could try a Randorosu?? His ability to increase the power of Rock and Ground moves which are already strong as it is is why he's so feared. CS or Rock Polish sets work. But thats up to you.
The team isn't really built to abuse Sandstorm, more like as a way to annoy weather teams and prevent them from setting up their weather. Skarmory and Lucario don't get SpD boosts in Sandstorm, unfortunately :( Randorosu adds another Ice- type weakness in addition to Latios and Garchomp, with Lucario being my only resist, so I'd rather not.

Sometimes you can bluff Pursuit Psychic Pokemon, usually thinking that there is Pursuit coming so they attack you. I don't know what you want to do but I would say that Pursuit isn't really necessary, seeing as how usually they predict it.
Nah I think it's a pretty important move, and can get Espeon, Jellicent, Lati@s in a checkmate position, and those three 'mons are the ones I need removed from the scene.

Latios would rather have Trick than Psycho Shock. DM + HP [Fire] + Surf already gets flawless coverage and I see youre aiming at Chansey and Blissey with Psycho Shock but in all honesty Psycho Shock doesn't hurt them as much as you thought. If you use Trick, they lose their ability to:

Chansey - even wall anymore, without EVO stone it is weak
Blissey - effectively wall and annoy, without choice they usually Softboil and not Seisic TOss you.
Actually, I wasn't aiming to hit those two with Psycho Shock lol. The main reason why I have Psycho Shock is to dispose off Calm Mind / Swords Dance Virizion easily, and have a method to get rid off Tentacruel, who loves to spin my hazards and likes switching in on Surfs / HP Fire from Latios. Most of them just stay in when I'm about to use Psycho Shock, thinking they can wall the incoming hit, unfortunately for them, Psycho Shock aims at Tentacruel's not so awesome Defense stat.

Have you tried Fire Blast on Garchomp over Stone Edge? It works well for me but its really up to you.

Also you might want to try a specially based Lucario and see how that works on this team.
Fire Blast on Garchomp, thought of it, but never tried it, since Stone Edge is needed to revenge kill Volcarona and Thunderus as well as the rare Zapdos. Specially Based Lucario is something to test I guess, since Deoxys-S and it will share the same counters, but it gives me a bit too many Special Attackers, and it will be tougher to beat Stall teams.

I really like that Deoxys. I can definately see with Spikes + SR support it KO'ing an entire team.
Glad you like it, and yeah that's usually what happens.

Also if you wouldn't mind could you RMT? PLEASE:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86597

Anyway good luck
lol ok, I'll rate it. Thanks for the comments :)

EDIT:

I lovelovelove this team, I genuinely tried to sit down and think of suggestions but came up blank. How has this team tested?
Haha, glad you like it.

maybe try trick on latios. Where'd you get the pics from? I really like em.
Yeah like I mentioned, I find all of Latios's moves useful, so I don't think I can find room for trick. You can get the pictures here: http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/elog.html

Really well thought out team and I can't really come out with any major suggestions. I like how you have Lucario to destroy stall and Deoxys-S to hurt offensive teams.

Tyranitar is good I mean sand is kinda not needed but considering you use your TTar more to get rid off ghosts as well as tank some hits and set up SR i just don't see any potential replacment. Moves are fine don't replace them you need both Crunch and Pursuit to take down diffrent psychics and ghosts.

Skarm is standard except for the EV spread which I really like. I think Skarm is better if SpD bulky since he already has high natural defense but all those powerful physical sweepers just force you to run defense investment.

Latios is good you only lack Trick which you could maybe use over Surf or HP Fire if you feel either on of them is used to rarely but it's up to you. Trick is really good however losing Specs early in the game could be really bad so you have to be careful if you do decide to use it.

Garchomp is ok again an optional change would be to go with Fire Blast but I wouldn't drop Stone Edge but Dragon Claw rather. However since you have quite a few other fire moves it's not that necessary.

Don't go with special Luke, physical suits your team way better. Is there any specific reason for Stone Edge over Ice Punch or Crunch Gliscors seem to be kinda slow these days. Inner Focus seems to be kinda useless I would replace it with Justice Heart so you could in some cases attempt to get +1 for free. However it's not compatible with Ice Punch and I'm not sure if you can use it in Wifi but I think you can.

I heard a lot about Deo-S being a good sweeper so I must test it out myself sometime. I wouldn't go with Psycho Boost since that drop to your already mediocre SpA is really unappealing. HP fire doesn't hurt I guess you don't have any reliable fire pokemon to fight steals anyway.

So yeah more than pointing out any bigger changes I just exspressed my opinion on some of the smaller changes you counld make or are maybe thinking about.

GL

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello legendkiller,

this team has a great concept behind it and has a pretty solid synergy. as such! my rates will be minimal but i assure you they are beneficial. firstly, fit trick somewhere on latios - preferably psycho shock. this is your emergency move for cm users primarily rank and even virizon to a lesser extent. it will be benefical i promise you.

as for others options, stone edge on lucario is pretty balsy considering the rarity of defensive gyarados in this metagame. id actually recommend swapping it for ice punch or crunch; moreover crunch actually to deal with rankurusu because it is honestly a huge threat to your team. gliscor is not really a huge deal since youre not bluntly throwing attacks initially - you have skarm and latios to switch into it. crunch would be more beneficial and accurate. overall gl!

@KnivesNPistols: On Skarmory, yeah I'll just stick with the EVs focused in Defense. Trick is a good idea, however I don't think I'll be trying it over Surf or HP Fire, both are too good to pass up. Fire Blast over Dragon Claw is something I'll try out, good move to maim incoming Skarmory. But Dragon Claw is a good move revenging Salamence and SD Garchomp at about 80% without locking yourself in. Those were pretty much the changes I was wondering about too, thanks for the rate.

@franky: Trick > Psycho Shock, sounds good. Shit like Reuniclus and Virizion like to pop up late game, tricking away the specs gives latios the ability to be more diverse, which is something i want late game. Reuniclus is a pain, and so I will test Crunch on Lucario. Thanks for the rate.

Hey man, cool team. I think the biggest issue for a team like this is that you are going to have a lot of trouble with bulky-waters. You have already outlined how annoying Rotom-W is for your team, and others, such as Jellicent and Slowking can also be just as hard for you to break. These Pokemon will also stand in the way of a successful Deoxys-S sweep as well. Another issue that stands is the weakness to Reuniclus, as although it does not get too much room to set-up, it can be incredibly difficult for you to face, especially considering you lack a hard counter to it.

This Reuniclus issue can be solved relatively easily. If you throw a Chople Berry on Tyranitar, you have extra insurance against Reuniclus. You can play Tyranitar much more rashly, and occasionally risk bringing it in against Calm Mind variants as you should be able to break through them. While I wouldn't recommend chucking Tyranitar out whenever you see a Reuniclus, it does give you some extra insurance against them. With Chople Berry, Tyranitar is able to take on other Tyranitar and use Superpower. It is also able to stay in on Leftovers variants of Dragon Dance Scrafty and use Superpower, weakening them substantially. This is especially important as they can be particularly annoying for your team to face.

However, this makes your team even weaker to Jellicent, especially Will-o-wisp variants. Your end-gamer, Deoxys-S does (38.12% - 45.05%) to Max/Max Calm versions, and although most favour some physical bulk, it does mean that Jellicent is annoying. To be honest, it looks like Lucario is the weakest link. I would like to suggest a Calm Mind Virizion over Lucario. Virizion makes an excellent switch-in to many bulky-waters. Rotom-W and Jellicent are both hard countered by Virizion and Virizion can turn them into set-up opportunities.

Virizion @ Leftovers
Timid | Justice Heart
EVs: 92 HP / 164 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Calm Mind / Giga Drain / Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Ice]

Virizion adds a lot more to the team than just checking bulky-waters. It becomes a last ditch effort at stopping Landorus, Excadrill and even Scrafty if Skarmory or other Pokemon have been sufficiently weakened. Virizion also works well with both Tyranitar and Deoxys-S. Firstly, Virizion's most common switch-ins are Psycho Shock Latios and Calm Mind Latias. Tyranitar can Pursuit these creating a free opportunity for Virizion to sweep. Virizion also capitalises on Tyranitar weakening Skarmory with Fire Blast. If Tyranitar does not get away with Pursuiting Latias, Virizion can weaken it ever so slightly so that Deoxys-S can kill it with Ice Beam.

Finally I would like to suggest 12 Atk on Deoxys-S. This will allow you to always OHKO 252 HP Tyranitar without Stealth Rock. Occasionally you may decide to lead with Deoxys-S to lure out the Tyranitar so Latios has an easier time. Lead Deoxys-S is not unexpected as its a very common dual-screener or Spiker. You will feel much safer knowing that you can OHKO 252 HP Tyranitar with Superpower, and it also may come in useful if you don't get Stealth Rock up.

Good team and good luck!

Hi,
granted that I have tested this team I can say it is really solid. Nothing much bothers this teams enough to casue any major permanent damage. However its not the competition that I'm worried about, it is the lack of power that Deoxy-S has. Even with Life Orb it couldn't even KO a 60% Chandlure. Maybe try a Nidoking in its place. You lose the speed but you do get the power, and speed isn't much of a problem with Scarf Chomp and ES on Lucario.

Hi,
granted that I have tested this team I can say it is really solid. Nothing much bothers this teams enough to casue any major permanent damage. However its not the competition that I'm worried about, it is the lack of power that Deoxy-S has. Even with Life Orb it couldn't even KO a 60% Chandlure. Maybe try a Nidoking in its place. You lose the speed but you do get the power, and speed isn't much of a problem with Scarf Chomp and ES on Lucario.
Yeah I tested the Deoxys and noticed that while it has great type coverage it was extremely fragile.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@Heist: Yes that is an excellent suggestion. Jellicent is a pain as well, though it takes a hefty amount from Psycho Boost. Virizion has been doing great, handling all the troublesome waters, and I tried to fit it into my team before, but didn't know who to replace. Slowbro is still a dick mainly because it carries Thunderwave. Most of them stay in on Virizion just to get in the Paralysis, which is very annoying. Thanks for the rate man.

@OMGTFBBQ: I know the lack of power, and if you can't hit the Pokemon Super Effectively, you won't be doing a great deal, and this was the main reason why I chose to use Psycho Boost over Hidden Power Fire. Sure it drops the Special Attack to a piss poor level, but it gets the job done. I mean there is Draco Meteor, you don't find people going "oh no -2 SAtk, don't use it :O". Also, Nidoking? o_o. No way dude, Nidoking has a weaker Special Attack and lower Speed, just more bulk, and besides the whole team was based around the concept of Deoxys-S sweeping, so it's too late to change it now.

@RyanTcone: Yeah it is indeed fragile, and that's why I try to remove all priority users from the match before I send in Deoxys-S. Latios carrying HP Fire is mainly for luring in and destroying Scizor (which happens a lot of the time) who can put a stop to Deoxys-S's sweep. Also if you're going to use the team, don't try and switch Deoxys-S into any moves, since you'll take a huge chunk, only send it in after a kill and onece you've killed any potential counters, or you can send it to revenge stuff.

I really love this team. I've just decided to build a team around the same concept :) Skarmory and Deoxys... why didn't I think of that?

H,

I played this team on PO and switched out Deoxys-S with Deoxys. It was a lot easier to get the kill and still had stellar speed but unfortunately it is not OU over at smogon. Now I was messing around with your team abit and I definately saw very little use for Psycho Shock on Latios. It wasn't doing nearly enough to hurt much. When I used Trick though it did cripple many things. Walls and setup sweepers were made redudant, and Trick also helps with a lot of your common threats in Quagsire, Reuniclus and to a lesser extent Rotom-W. Now the second thing may seem weird but I actually opted for a Tentacruel over your Lucario. THe reason was because TS while uncommon was really annoying and crippled a lot of your Pokemon. The only one that could absorb them and offer someting was Tentacruel. You can set up your own TS for even more residual damage. The only reason I put it over Lucario was becuase whenever I won a match with this team, I found him not doing much, except for taking a DM or a move I wasn't sure of.

Try it yourself and it might be stupid but I saw it as pretty good with Skarm and Chomp giving you a nice core.

GL

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey, solid team. I have a few suggestions for you that i hope will help.
On the lucario set i would definately opt for crunch over Stone edge. It can help you reliably hit ghosts and the power drop isn't really a big deal. Stone edge can be easily stalled out with its low pp and its unreliable 80 accuracy. Try it, see how you like it.

My last suggestion is on deoxys. I've really only seen a sweeping deoxys once or twice and it's definately unpredictable. The only thing i would change is superpower. It's for ttar, but it never KO's him without max atk and an adamant nature. I realize that with entry hazard you might be able to KO it, but i don't think it's worth it. I think you should change it out for psycho boost.

Hope i helped, good luck on the ladder!

I really love this team. I've just decided to build a team around the same concept :) Skarmory and Deoxys... why didn't I think of that?
Glad you like it :)

H,

I played this team on PO and switched out Deoxys-S with Deoxys. It was a lot easier to get the kill and still had stellar speed but unfortunately it is not OU over at smogon. Now I was messing around with your team abit and I definately saw very little use for Psycho Shock on Latios. It wasn't doing nearly enough to hurt much. When I used Trick though it did cripple many things. Walls and setup sweepers were made redudant, and Trick also helps with a lot of your common threats in Quagsire, Reuniclus and to a lesser extent Rotom-W. Now the second thing may seem weird but I actually opted for a Tentacruel over your Lucario. THe reason was because TS while uncommon was really annoying and crippled a lot of your Pokemon. The only one that could absorb them and offer someting was Tentacruel. You can set up your own TS for even more residual damage. The only reason I put it over Lucario was becuase whenever I won a match with this team, I found him not doing much, except for taking a DM or a move I wasn't sure of.

Try it yourself and it might be stupid but I saw it as pretty good with Skarm and Chomp giving you a nice core.

GL
Nah, I think that kind of ruins the synergy of the team, and kind of slows down the offensive pressure. Psycho Shock is something I've used in the past, I can say it has its uses, but Trick is overall better.

hey, solid team. I have a few suggestions for you that i hope will help.
On the lucario set i would definately opt for crunch over Stone edge. It can help you reliably hit ghosts and the power drop isn't really a big deal. Stone edge can be easily stalled out with its low pp and its unreliable 80 accuracy. Try it, see how you like it.

My last suggestion is on deoxys. I've really only seen a sweeping deoxys once or twice and it's definately unpredictable. The only thing i would change is superpower. It's for ttar, but it never KO's him without max atk and an adamant nature. I realize that with entry hazard you might be able to KO it, but i don't think it's worth it. I think you should change it out for psycho boost.

Hope i helped, good luck on the ladder!
Yeah I have been using Crunch recently after franky suggested it, so it's been doing p good. Your second suggestion seems a bit off; With the 12 Atk EVs Heist suggested, Tyranitar is OHKOed by Superpower, even without Stealth Rock, so I don't really see the problem. Psycho Boost is something I've been using over HP Fire, and it definitely helps take our full health foes not hit Super Effectively by any of its other attacks.

Damn it man, i wanted to popularize that Deoxys, i was using it for like 2 months with AWESOME sucess with exactly the same attacks (just with psycho boost instead of hp fire), just use 12 evs in attack to OHKO 252/0 tyranitar, yours only does 99% min, yes it's a little stupid but, you never now D>
I really don't know why ppl laught at Deoxys-S, it OHKOes a shit lot of things, outspeed even more things, and can even sweep late game!
And if you're facing problems with Quagsire, Rotom-W and Reuniclus you should consider CM Virizion, she can beat Reuniclus if you got 1 or 2 cm before it switch in, and can even beat blissey with Giga Drain + Focus Blast

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Yeah I was going to suggest CM Birijion over Lucario since you said you needed a switch in to Rotom-W (which is does perfectly) but you also said you need an ice resist. There are a lot of fighting types you could try in Lucario's place though. SD Terrakion does pretty well and it gets a SpD boost at the cost of priority. I actually think Kerudio would fit perfectly on your team, giving you that ice resist you need, but unfortunately it's not released yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)