Sigilyph (Analysis)

Note: Any feedback appreciated :3

QC Approved, 3/3
1: PK Gaming
2: Delta2777
3: Bloo

GP Checks, 2/2
1. Engineer Pikachu and Chou Toshio (Bagde By Fatecrashers)
2. Fatecrashers

[Overview]
<p>Sigilyph is quite a unique Pokemon. He can fill a number of roles on a variety of teams, and with the right setup, he can become a monster. Sigilyph learns a lot of support moves, such as Reflect, Light Screen, and Whirlwind. His Magic Guard ability can also cause massive headaches for stall teams. However, every Pokemon has its downside. With the introduction of new powerful Dark- and Rock types, Sigilyph doesn't exactly get a lot of safe opportunities to switch in. Given the right support though, you'll find Sigilyph to be definitely a team player that will not disappoint.<p>

[SET]
name: Cosmic Power
move 1: Cosmic Power
move 2: Stored Power
move 3: Roost
move 4: Psycho Shift
item: Flame Orb
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 200 Def/ 56 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>This set utilizes the full potential of Cosmic Power. With already above average bulk, Cosmic Power makes Sigilyph almost untouchable, and Stored Power just adds to that in a great way. Since it becomes more powerful the more stat boosts the user has, Stored Power will become a very potent attack as Sigilyph acquires boosts from Cosmic Power. Roost is absolutely necessary on this set, as Sigilyph will take damage as he slowly boosts his defenses. Psycho Shift is easily one of the most important moves on this set, as it allows Sigilyph to fatally cripple the opponent's Pokemon. Because the majority of threats in this generation are physically-based, burn will render them near-useless as it halves the Attack of the opponent's Pokemon, as well as slowly whittling down their HP. 252 HP EVs increases the overall bulk of Sigilyph. 200 Def EVs help you wall the majority of physical attackers, which will help you when setting up Cosmic Powers.<p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>If you feel that physical attackers aren't much of a problem, then Toxic Orb can be used over Flame Orb. The Toxic status doesn't decrease the opponent's Attack stat, but the passive damage increases each turn. Leftovers and Hidden Power Fighting can also be used instead of Flame Orb and Psycho Shift in case your team already employs another status condition and you don't want them clashing.<p>

[Other Options]
<p> Sigilyph has a lot of tricks up his sleeve. He can use moves like Toxic and Thunder Wave to cripple opponents, but Psycho Shift is still preferable. Shadow Ball is an option to counter Ghost-types such as Jellicent. If you aren't using Magic Guard, then Safeguard is a useful move to protect Sigilyph from status. Other useful moves that this Pokemon can learn and utilize include Calm Mind, Trick Room,and Gravity. Whirlwind can cause alot of trouble for Pokemon who rely on set up moves, and can be used in conjunction with Psycho Shift.<p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p> Because of Sigilyph's low initial offensive prowess and the poor coverage of Psychic attacks, almost any strong user of Dark, Ghost, Rock, or Electric attacks can potentially switch in and defeat him. Tyranitar is likely the most notable example, being immune to Psychic moves and having powerful STAB Stone Edge, Crunch, and Pursuit; it is also known to carry Ice Beam frequently, and sets focused on special attacking do not fear burn. Jirachi is a major threat, it's 4x resistant to Psychic and frequently carries Thunder due to the popularity of rain. Starmie resists Psychic and is almost completely unafraid of burn or poison thanks to Natural Cure, it also carries Thunderbolt / Thunder and Ice Beam. Heatran is immune to burn and also resists Psychic; its powerful Fire attacks are a real threat even when it's a neutral hit. Be careful about using physical attackers against Sigilyph, as an untimely burn can leave that Pokemon useless for the remainder of the match. Overall, the trick is to hit hard and hit fast, as you definitely do not want to let Sigilyph set up. <p>

[Dream World]
<p>Sigilyph's Dream World ability is Tinted Lens, which on any other Pokemon would prove to be a powerful and desirable ability. However, Magic Guard will always be the superior option on Sigilyph, as it allows him to be immune to all forms of passive damage. Tinted Lens's effectiveness, on the other hand, will always be severely limited by Dark-type's immunity to Psychic attacks. <p>

And I would like to give a special thanks to Chanazn for helping me on this, I doubt I could have done it without him. Thanks bro :3

Don't forget to give this the proper prefix in the advanced editing options.

This is a good start, but try to expand your descriptions of the sets, and please refrain from using phrases like "cherry on top" or "you could get lucky" or "as I said before." The analysis is not supposed to be in first person, and the other phrases also make it rather informal, making it inadequate for an analysis.

I'm not too familiar with any sets other than the Psycho Shifter set, so you may want to wait for input from other members.

One more thing, try to not double post in the Reservations thread as you can simply edit your post rather than posting numerous times for updates and such. Also, link to your analysis in the Reservations thread in your post.

That is all for now, and as I told you before, GL with the analysis.

The format is wrong. Each set should have 2 sections only: [SET COMMENTS] and [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]. Then at the end of the analysis you should have 4 sections: [Team Options], [Optional Changes], [Counters] and [Dream World]. Please fix this.

Onto the sets, the first two work on this metagame. I can see the DS set working and with Roost and Magic Guard it can have a chance to come in and set screens up a second time.

I'm unsure about the last set. Its Special Attack is not winning any prizes and it'll need some boosts to be fearsome and its defenses don't help it getting them. IMO it should be removed but wait for a QC member to see what he thinks.

Good job on your first analysis though!

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In the first set, is there a reason why you add all of those Def EVs? I'd personally invest in HP first, but I've only used that set a little bit. Psycho Shift + Burn Orb should also be included on the Cosmic Power + Assist Power set.

Psychic is pretty much useless on the CP/AP set because you already have Assist Power. I'd replace it with Roost/HP Fighting

Thanks for the advice. Im editing the analysis atm.

Edit: Inserted Team Options, Other Options etc i will work on the set comments later. and thanks for the help guys :3

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
thanks, ill edit. and which prefix do i put? im not in the stage for QC yet.
You should still use the Quality Control tag. If your analysis is not ready for QC checks yet, please put (Placeholder) in your thread title.

As in:

(Quality Control) Sigilyph (Placeholder)

I'd slash in Calm Mind on the "Cosmic Power" set, as it lets you do damage a lot quicker, and you can still take hits really well with Psycho Shift and Flame Orb

I'd slash in Calm Mind on the "Cosmic Power" set, as it lets you do damage a lot quicker, and you can still take hits really well with Psycho Shift and Flame Orb

thanks for the suggestion, but this is a very defensive set. this set is by no means offensive, so then cosmic power fits better. i only have that move for finishing off opponents if they have very little hp left, whiwh will already be powerful due to the boost of the cosmic power.

thanks for the suggestion, but this is a very defensive set. this set is by no means offensive, so then cosmic power fits better. i only have that move for finishing off opponents if they have very little hp left, whiwh will already be powerful due to the boost of the cosmic power.
The thing is, you are setting up all these defenses, but you can't even Toxic Stall. Fire types will completely wall you, and you use all these turns setting up just so you can sit there and say: "You can't kill me" Whereas, if you use Clam Mind, you can still tank physical hits very well, can take special hits even better, and run a very powerful bulky sweep

Solutions to your bickering.

move 2: Roost
move 3: Toxic
ability: Magic Gaurd
evs: 252 HP/ 128 Def / 128 SpD

Only Trick users, Magic Guard users, Taunt users and Hetran wall this set. This EV spread gives you a lot of health to heal from Roost, a minimum 218 speed and defences over 200.

name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 3: Assist Power / Charge Beam
move 4: Hidden Power (Fighting) / Ice Beam
item: Flame Orb / Toxic Orb / Leftovers
evs: 16 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpA / 208 Spe
ivs: 31 HP / 31 Spe

These EVs and IVs lets you hit over 300 speed, max defence (with a neutral nature) and gives you magic Leftovers recovery. The rest of the EVs can be dumped into special attack. You can use any of the items but it depends on your mood. You could use Leftovers, plotting to switch into the foe's Toxic or Will-o-Wisp. You could use Assist Power and Hidden Power Fighting give you the best results. You could create a makeshift bolt-beam with Charge Beam and Ice Beam. You could also throw in Miracle Eye in the last slot but it isn't advisable. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

thaaaat.....is actually a great idea. and good sets. thanks :3

and why the toxic/flame orb? there is no psycho shift on this set.

cannot edit that now, will edit later though

A few suggestions I'd like to give:
- On the Cosmic Power set, stress the necessity of Roost. You can't reliably set up without your recovery move, and as Roost is your only choice, it has to be there.
Also, on this same set, I'd find a combination of HP fighting / Assist Power to bring much better coverage as to add Psycho Shift or Ice Beam. Everything that isn't immune to Psychic(so Dark) will be brought down by repeated +6 Assist Power, and every Dark type (bar Honchkrow iirc) is weak to fighting.
And, given these adjustments, there's no room for Psycho Shift so I'd at least give Lefties a slash.
- Jellicent does not resist Psychic, and as such Assist Power will bring it down hard. Also, as it mostly relies on passive damage and Night Shade to kill pokemon, it's hardly a counter. You might as such want to remove it as counter :)
- On the second set, I'd find a Ttar or Excadrill switch-in to Flame Orb Sygliph quite odd, as it's clear it's a Psycho Shifter. As these pokes don't have recovery or status recovery and hit physically, I'd keep them out of the fire.
Finally, you might want to explain your EVs a bit better: I have no idea what the 244 speed on some sets is for, nor do I see why the EVs on the first set are optimal.

Also, on this same set, I'd find a combination of HP fighting / Assist Power to bring much better coverage as to add Psycho Shift or Ice Beam. Everything that isn't immune to Psychic(so Dark) will be brought down by repeated +6 Assist Power, and every Dark type (bar Honchkrow iirc) is weak to fighting.
Skuntank, Drapion, and Mandibuzz all are also neutral to Fighting.

More significantly, Spiritomb and Sableye are both completely immune to the combination.

Solutions to your bickering.

move 3: Toxic
evs: 252 HP/ 128 Def / 128 SpD

Only Trick users, Magic Guard users, Taunt users and Hetran wall this set. This EV spread gives you a lot of health to heal from Roost, a minimum 218 speed and defences over 200.

name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 3: Assist Power / Charge Beam
move 4: Hidden Power (Fighting) / Ice Beam
item: Flame Orb / Toxic Orb / Leftovers
evs: 16 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpA / 208 Spe
ivs: 31 HP / 31 Spe

These EVs and IVs lets you hit over 300 speed, max defence (with a neutral nature) and gives you magic Leftovers recovery. The rest of the EVs can be dumped into special attack. You can use any of the items but it depends on your mood. You could use Leftovers, plotting to switch into the foe's Toxic or Will-o-Wisp. You could use Assist Power and Hidden Power Fighting give you the best results. You could create a makeshift bolt-beam with Charge Beam and Ice Beam. You could also throw in Miracle Eye in the last slot but it isn't advisable. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
The reason I like Clam Mind sets on this are because he can Psycho Shift the burn. That allows you to tank hits from both sides of the spectrum and perform an extremely bulky sweep. I prefer Calm Mind / Roost / Assist Power / Psycho Shift, as it allows you to stall out dark types and KO the rest

That's alot Of comments is the past 5 minutes I was away :P
And for what parachomp suggested, I'll go with his sets. They are completely viable, and the cosmic power set allows me to make way for the calm mind set by deleting the psycho shifter. And any other tweaks on those sets that anyone would like to post, I will fir sure consider it.

And btw I said I was busy, but I'm on my iPhone now so I can post comments and small edits , but I can't do all sorts of heavy typing. I wil try though :P

Edit: turns out I can't edit the full thing because I can't scroll down on this stupid iPhone :(
And I'm keeping the boltbeam combo because I've had very good experience with it, and it also hits alot of common threats super effectively. But slow down on the suggestions I beg you, once I edit everything tomorrow you guys can continue critisizing on how bad my work is :)

Regards,
Mr. Knife

I love Shinboraa, don't get me wrong. In fact, it's one of my favorite pokemon. However, I do have a few problems with this writeup.
First off: On the Cosmic Power set, you have a bit of slashitis and it's making the set look kind of messy. Ice beam is unecessary, so take that off. It doesn't really leave that big of a mark on the targets it NEEDS to hit anyways. Also, Roost is absolutely necessary and shouldn't be slashed with anything. The Cosmic Power set also can't deal any damage to any Calm Minders, so Whirlwind is a cool option in lieu of Psycho Shift, although you lose to CM Roar Latias regardless. It should be noted that Burned Tyranitar still 2hkos Siglyph with CB adamant Crunch when Syg is at plus 1 if I recall from my experiences. Although Shinboraa desperately misses Psycho Shift at times, Whirlwind opens up a whole new host of setup options and should be included. Also, that much speed is unecessary on shinboraa. The spread should be 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe since it needs all the power it can get because it isn't boosting its SpA. If you are going to slash whirlwind with Psycho Shift, make sure to slash Life Orb and/or Leftovers with Flame Orb. Also mention Specially Defensive Tyranitar in Team Options. They have good type synergy and Shinbora is immune to Sandstorm. Ttar can also get rid of Psychic Types like Rankurusu and CM Roar Latias that shit on Siglyph. Sub SD Kurikizan also makes a cool Partner since it can switch in on all of the pokemon Sygliph attracts and set up.

In CONCLUSION
[SET]
name: Assist Power
move 2: Assist Power
move 4: Psycho Shift / Whirlwind
item: Flame Orb / Life Orb / Leftovers

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've discussed a few things with my fellow QC member Bloo and there are a few things we would like to see:

The Cosmic Power set has too many slashes. Hidden Power Fighting and Ice Beam don't deserve slashes. You're better off Psycho Shifting Tyranitar & Lati@s and outstalling them with Cosmic Power / Roost.
The set should look like this:

item: Burn Orb
evs: 252 HP/ 4 Def / 252 Spe

I noticed that you neglected to run max speed. Sigilyph happens share the same base speed stat as Ononokusu so you might as well run max speed to tie with him. You also outspace Gliscor. The PsychoShifter set should be scrapped... its too similar to the Cosmic Power set, especially now that Psycho Shift is a primary option on the Cosmic Power set. You can mention Whirlwind and Air Slash in AC. The Life Orb should be removed. Its simply not strong enough (it should be using Calm Mind anyway) and its just plain outclassed Rankurusu.

Okay, that's for the advice. And I will scrap that life orb set (when I get on a computer, I'm on my iPhone) and I find it very amusing that you two have posted almost the same set :P makes my job that much easier

I've discussed a few things with my fellow QC member Bloo and there are a few things we would like to see:

The Cosmic Power set has too many slashes. Hidden Power Fighting and Ice Beam don't deserve slashes. You're better off Psycho Shifting Tyranitar & Lati@s and outstalling them with Cosmic Power / Roost.
The set should look like this:

item: Burn Orb
evs: 252 HP/ 4 Def / 252 Spe

I noticed that you neglected to run max speed. Sigilyph happens share the same base speed stat as Ononokusu so you might as well run max speed to tie with him. You also outspace Gliscor. The PsychoShifter set should be scrapped... its too similar to the Cosmic Power set, especially now that Psycho Shift is a primary option on the Cosmic Power set. You can mention Whirlwind and Air Slash in AC. The Life Orb should be removed. Its simply not strong enough (it should be using Calm Mind anyway) and its just plain outclassed Rankurusu.
Haxorus does not appear to be OU at present, making it not much of a concern, and it has little reason to run max Speed itself. And even when it does, you only have a 50% chance of winning the Speed tie. There really isn't much of a point in maxing Speed rather than putting your EVs elsewhere.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Better safe than sorry? I think that outspeeding Gliscor before it can taunt you is the main draw to running max speed. I'll discuss it with the other QC members.

Better safe than sorry? I think that outspeeding Gliscor before it can taunt you is the main draw to running max speed. I'll discuss it with the other QC members.
There are definitely reasons to run Speed EVs, but the only real reason to go all the way to max Speed is Haxorus, which isn't much of a reason. Unless you want to Speed tie with other Sigilyph, which also aren't too common, and probably aren't running max Speed, either. Aiming only to outspeed Gliscor gives room for some EVs to add to other stats, especially since Gliscor doesn't seem to be running max Speed particularly often. Or Taunt, for that matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)